Passover starts tomorrow! I think it may be my favourite jewish holiday. It is one of the few holidays where my whole extended family gets together. This year our first seder will have 35 people! The second seder will be at my house this year. Much smaller but equally as nice Plus hosting it at our house means I can contribute a whole lot more! This year I am on Charoset and veggie duty.
Since I will have to work Monday and Tuesday much of the cooking had to be done in advance. I made the most delicious Charoset recipe today that I thought I would share for anyone experiencing a last-minute Passover panic. The recipe is super easy to make and will be sure to impress your guests.
For those of you who do not celebrate Passover, Charoset is a sweet, dark-coloured, paste made of fruits and nuts eaten at the Passover seders. Its colour and texture are meant to recall mortar (or mud used to make bricks), which the Israelites used when they were enslaved in Egypt. Despite what it’s supposed to represent, Charoset is actually quite delicious! Even if you are not jewish I would still suggest you try making it. Most jewish people eat it on Matzah so I am sure it would be incredibly tasty if eaten on regular crackers. Plus this recipe is gluten-free, vegan and kosher-for-passover!
- 3 apples (peeled and chopped)
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 2 T orange juice
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1¼ cups dates
- ¼ cup currants
- Place the peeled and chopped apples into the food processor and pulse a few times to break them up. Be sure to leave them chunky and not puree them. Remove from processor and place in large bowl.
- Process all other ingredients except currants, until broken up and almost paste-like. Leave a bit chunky.
- Remove mix from processor and add to bowl with apples. Add in currants. Mix everything until well-combined.
- Can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for a week.
Do you celebrate Passover? If you do, what is your favourite thing to eat at the seders? If not, have you ever been to a seder? Chag Sameach!
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!