Mushroom Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Keywords: bake saute blender entree gluten-free vegan vegetarian
Ingredients (Yields: 6 Burgers)
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato, skins removed
- 1 knob of coconut oil
- 2 lbs sliced mushrooms, any kind
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary (or use dried)
- 1 cup GF certified oats
- 1 T tahini
- 1 T mustard
- 3 T roasted or raw pumpkin seeds
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. If using fresh sweet potato, poke several holes in skin using a fork and then roast on a baking sheet in a 400 degree oven for 1 hour. Let cool and then scoop out flesh and discard skins.
2. Add coconut oil to a large skillet or wok on medium heat. Add onions and bell pepper. Sauté for 5 mins or until onions are translucent
3. Add mushrooms and garlic and allow mushrooms to cook down for 5 mins.
4. Stir in herbs and let cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Turn off stove top and let mushroom mixture sit for 10 mins or until cooled somewhat.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
7. Add sweet potato and mushroom mixture to a food processor or blender. Add in remaining ingredients except oats.
8. Pulse several times until well combined.
9. Add in oats and pulse several more times until mixture has thickened.
10. Using your hands form 6 burger-shaped patties.
11. Place on baking sheet and bake in oven for 10 mins.
12. Remove from oven and flip. They will be very delicate but if they crumble just reform into pattie. They will hold together much better once you bake them on the other side.
13. Bake for another 10 mins on other side.
14. Remove from oven and serve or let cool and store in refrigerator. These also freeze well.