Truffled Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto

Do you have a go-to item or meal that you have to order if it’s on a menu? For me that’s anything with truffles. It could be a glass of dairy-full milk filled with gluten, but if it’s topped with truffles I just have to order it. I have an inability to turn down truffles.

Truffled Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto // thehealthymaven.com When I was living in NYC I truly believe I took the truffle tour of the entire island. Virtually every restaurant I ate at had a dish featuring truffles in some form. It may have also been the fact that I scour menus before I go to restaurants so I only choose ones that have dishes I know I would order. Such was the case with one of my favourite restaurants in Manhattan, Risotteria. This is a gluten-free and vegetarian restaurant that makes the most outstanding risotto you will ever taste. Also their GF breadsticks are the best thing since real breadsticks!
Truffled Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto // thehealthymaven.com There was only one thing on the menu I would order, their truffled mushroom risotto. Since moving away I have yet to eat a risotto as good as theirs and I’m not dumb enough to even try to recreate it at home. Instead I thought I would do a lightened-up version by substituting cauliflower “rice” for real rice. Does this taste like Risotteria’s truffled mushroom risotto? Definitely not. But it’s pretty damn good. We could also talk about how it’s significantly healthier and dairy-free. Sometimes when you can’t have the real stuff you may as well substitute it with healthy ingredients, put a smile on your face and call it a day.
Truffled Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Serving Size: 3-4

Truffled Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto

• 2 T truffle oil-divided (olive oil will also work)
  • 1 large head of cauliflower
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 8 oz sliced mushrooms
  • 6 cups baby spinach
  • 2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (or parmesan cheese)
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 tsp of salt, or more to taste
  • pepper, to taste
  • toasted pinenuts, optional

1. Chop cauliflower into florets and place in a food processor. Process for 1-2 mins or until "rice-like" consistency is reached.
  2. Heat 1 Tablespoon of truffle oil (or olive oil) in a medium-sized pot over medium heat.
  3. Add chopped onion, garlic and thyme and saute for 2-3 mins.
  4. Add in mushrooms and cook for another 3 mins.
  5. Add spinach and cook until wilted.
  6. Stir in cauliflower rice and let cook, stirring frequently for 5 mins.
  7. On the stove or in the microwave heat up vegetable stock until warm but not boiling.
  8. In 1/4 cup increments add stock to cauliflower mixture. Let each 1/4 cup absorb before adding in the next. Stir frequently. This will take time so be patient.
  9. After half of stock has been absorbed add in nutritional yeast, other tablespoon of truffle oil and salt and pepper.
  10. Continue adding stock until all has been absorbed.
  11. Place heat on low and let cook uncovered for another 10 mins.
  12. Top with pine nuts (if using) and serve.

Is there an item or food you have to order if it’s on a menu? Do you read menus before you go to restaurants?

Comments

1. says

I’ve never tried truffles. but I would love to give them a shot. The bowl you used is super cute too :)

Being vegan, I almost always read the menu ahead of time to ensure there is at least one thing I can order :)

2. says

I had my first truffle risotto with asparagus and mandarin at a hotel in Manila and it was so good & hearty! It was part of the free breakfast. I tried a local white truffle oil in Oregon, and it was pretty good, too. Now I’m addicted to truffles & truffle oil! There are so many different kinds of truffles & truffle oils to try! Cauliflower “rice” is a trending recipe and I like the fact that you created a cauliflower ‘rice’ risotto with truffle oil (yum!) What a wonderful dish, Davida, I would love to make this!

I always read menus before I go to restaurants and contact the restaurants in advance for vegan options & confirming the open hours. Sometimes, we stumble upon vegan & vegan-friendly restaurants that aren’t mentioned online or on Happy Cow – I photograph the menu (always bring an iPhone/small camera with me) and sometimes translate the menu.

3. says

haha, I’m the same way! love anyyyyything with truffles… if the description says, “drizzled with truffle oil,” you can put $20 on me ordering it :) this cauliflower risotto looks AWESOME! I’ll definitely be trying this one.

4. says

Wow, that looks good, I’d never think to make something like that! I usually check out menus ahead of time so I can try to make good choices. I usually end up ordering pizza though, haha. I’m a sucker for any kind of veggie flatbread or any food that has basil and feta in it.

5. says

I swear you read my mind – I’ve been wanting to try making cauliflower rice! And I love that you made it into a risotto. Mushroom risotto is the best!

Lately I haven’t been that predictable with my restaurant orders… but if I go to a pizza place with a fig pizza on the menu, you can bet a million dollars I’m ordering it!

6. says

Confession: I had to Google what truffles were – I don’t think I’ve ever had them before! Apparently I’m just not that fancy with my food. But I definitely do look up menus online… mostly because my allergies make eating out a bit of a nuisance, so I have to check what’s safe for me to eat before I actually go anywhere. Well, that and I don’t want to be the person at the table that takes forever to decide ;)

7. says

OMG- if only we knew each other when we were both in NYC! i had a friend who would scour the city for truffles- i of course was all too happy to accompany her on his journey- and yeah that lead to some delicious discoveries :) this looks like the most delicious meal evvveerrr!

8. says

I had truffle fries the other day and they were delicious! I’d never experienced this whole truffleness until I studied abroad, actually. I usually stick to having them on fries or having them in some otherwise (relatively) inexpensive way. It’s amazing how much you can spend on a dish with truffles!

9. says

Is it true that truffle oil is really expensive? If so I’m really sad. Once I watched part of a science-y show about how truffles are harvested and there are those special pigs that have to sniff them out. I thought it was so funny that the pigs smell the pheromones and think the truffles are another piggy!

10. says

Love this healthied up mushroom cauliflower risotto!
    I have a confession to make – for the longest time, I used to think of the chocolate truffles everytime someone mentioned truffles! It wasn’t till recently that I figured out what truffles really were! Gah!

11. says

I’ve actually never made a risotto of any form before – I need to get on that! Nor have I had truffles…bah, add that to the list as well. Now that we’re getting into fall menus, I keep an eye out for dishes with sweet potato or squash. can never go wrong with those!

12. says

Don’t hate me, but I really don’t like truffles :( I’ve tried them but I just don’t like the flavor…which is weird because i’m the least picky eater ever! I’ve heard of “ricing” cauliflower and really need to try it soon! I’m hoping I could trick my cauliflower-hating hubby into eating it.

13. says

Like all of your recipes, this looks delicious! I only scour menus beforehand if I’m trying to be healthy–to make sure they have a yummy, healthy option I will enjoy. Otherwise, I just wait til I arrive and splurge on whatever my heart desires.

14. says

I totally read the menus of all restaurants before I go! I like to know what I’m going to have! I have not heard of this Risotteria but I am going to have to go because if you say the words “truffle” and “mushrooms” in the same sentence by husband wants to know where, when, and how long before he is eating it!? Love it! I am sure this recipe will blow his socks off!

15. says

Ooooh, this dish sounds amazing! I love the idea of ‘healthifying’ with cauliflower, and anything with parmesan is usually a winner in my book.
    I don’t always read menus before I leave for a restaurant, but if there are crab cakes anywhere on the menu- they WILL be on my plate! :)

16. says

Yum! I definitely check out the menu before I go to restaurants … no reason to go and pay for a meal unless there’s something you can get excited about, in my opinion! I almost never decide what I’m ordering until I get there, though!

17. says

I JUST send this to my co blogger to turn Paleo to cook for both of us! It’s hard to find a vegetarian dish that we both can eat and with some minor modifications, this will work, I think!! :) Yum! You are so darn good at this stuff!

18. says

I love truffle oil! I once had it on a plain pizza with no sauce, just truffle oil, minced garlic and herbs- so good!

I am definitely making this recipe hopefully this weekend during food prep- It’ll be great to quickly pair with a protein and carb for meals! Thanks for another winning recipe!

19. says

This looks awesome! I don’t think I have ever tried truffle oil before, but this makes me want to eat it for every meal :) Also, I just got your email and plan on getting back to you tomorrow!! That is if I don’t have to go pick up Joseph early from school again!

20. says

Wow. This looks gourmet Davida! I’ve never had truffle oil before but Heather at Kiss My Broccoli mentioned it recently and it sounds so good.

I love cauliflower risotto by itself, but this has got me thinking that with its texture it would kind of be good as a dip too with pita chips or something! Or on top of a salad… SO many possibilities :)

21. says

That’s a good attitude to have, I just may have to steal it (mostly because I’m not so good at re-creating my favorites at home!) Risotto is one of my favorite winter meals so I’ll be adding this to the “to cook” list for sure :)

22. says

TRUFFLE ALL THE THINGS!!!! Omg, I just posted about the mad love affair that I’ve developed with truffles a week or so ago! Love love love them! Just can’t believe it took me 27 years to try them for the first time! I love a good risotto….I’ve only made one myself and will probably never ever do it again since I swear I got tennis elbow (risotto elbow?) from all that damn stirring! But man, this sounds SO good!

If I can, I ALWAYS check the menu to a restaurant before going. I love trying new/unique dishes and/or thing that I can’t normally make myself! I like to mix it up, but I have to say I have a hard time saying no to scallops, fennel, ahi tuna!

Trackbacks