Get into the holiday spirit guilt-free with these gluten-free, vegan and healthy peppermint mocha waffles. A breakfast twist on a Starbucks classic!
I haven’t been entirely honest with you. All this time I’ve been going around talking about my pancake obsession and oatmeal addiction, but I really haven’t admitted my favourite breakfast food, waffles. I mean how could you not love them? They’re carby and huge and are made to absorb a pound of maple syrup.
Serves: 5 large waffles
- 2 flax eggs (2 T ground flaxseed mixed with 6 T water)
- 2 cups GF oat flour (ground oats)
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/3cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups strong coffee
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Optional: 1/2 cup mint chocolate chips
- Turn on waffle-maker.
- Make flax eggs and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine oat flour, almond meal, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine coffee, maple syrup, apple sauce, peppermint extract and apple cider vinegar.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and then stir in flax eggs.
- Let batter sit for 5 mins.
- Spray waffle-maker with non-stick spray or coconut oil.
- For large waffles use 1/2 cup of batter and cook according to waffle-maker instructions.
- Serve warm with maple syrup, nut butter or preserves of choice.
- These freeze well.