Healthy Peppermint Oreo Cookies

I have a commitment problem. An overcommitment problem. I have issues with saying no and take on more projects than Simon Cowell. I get genuinely excited about things and agree to them before realizing I have no time. I’m getting better at saying no, but in the meantime I’ve had to master some serious multitasking skills.

healthy peppermint oreos For example, practicing my balancing skills while reading for my book club. By balancing skills I am referring to my morning commute to work where the Toronto transit system packs us in like sardines and expects us to hold onto each other to not topple over. Despite the fact that I am certain I piss several people off by trying to read a book in this madness, I don’t really have a choice. Another example is dentist appointments and blog writing. I have very few hours during the day when I can use my brain power for personal use, so when I’m lying in a chair with another human-being poking at my teeth I am going to take the opportunity to think of future blog posts. And then there’s Hootsuite. The only way I can harass your twitter feeds while simultaneously trying to analyze baby brain data.

healthy peppermint oreos 1 Today’s post is another example of my majorly improved multitasking skills. Several months ago I agreed to do a Healthy Christmas Cookie Round-Up with a group of awesome bloggers. Which I promptly forgot about until Sandra kindly sent us a reminder last week. And then my dear friend Amy reminded me about her Veggie of the Month Link-up as well-I know I’m posting early! And the veggie this month? Beets…whomp whomp. Don’t get me wrong, I love beets but they aren’t the most versatile vegetable.

So what’s a girl to do when she’s agreed to two round-ups (which she also wants to be a part of!) and only has time to make one recipe? Why combine them of course. And that my friends is how the filling for these Healthy Peppermint Oreos was coloured with beets. A sticky situation turned borderline genius!

Healthy Peppermint Oreo Cookies

by The Healthy Maven

Prep Time: 2 hours

Cook Time: 30 mins

Keywords: bake blender dessert snack peppermint chocolate cookie winter

Ingredients (Yields: About 2 dozen cookies)

For the cookies:

• 1 cup almond meal
  • 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
  • 1/2 cup dates, soaked for at least 15 minutes (reserve soaking water)
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 T maple syrup
  • 2 T date water

For the filling:

• 1 cup cashews
  • 1 T coconut oil, melted
  • 1 vanilla bean, scraped (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
  • 1/4 tsp stevia extract
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp peppermint extract (depending on how minty you like it)
  • 1 beet (only 1 T required for recipe)

1. Soak cashews in water for at least 2 hours (longer is better). Drain thoroughly.

2. Soak dates for at least 15 minutes making sure to reserve date water.

3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

4. Scrub beet and chop off stems. Cover in foil wrap.

5. Bake beet for 50 mins, though timing depends on size so check frequently.

6. Set beet aside to cool.

7. Decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees F.

8. In a food processor combine almond meal, flax and dates and process for 1 minute. Add in brown rice flour and process for another minute.

9. Add in cocoa powder and while it is processing pour in maple syrup and date water.

10. The dough is done when it is damp and crumbly and will stick together when formed into a ball. Form dough into one large ball

11. Spray two large sheets of parchment paper with nonstick spray or coconut oil. Place dough between two sheets and roll out into a 1/4 inch thick sheet between parchment paper.

12. Using a small circular cut-out, cut dough into circles.

13. Put scraps together to form another ball and repeat steps 10 and 11 until all dough has been used.

14. Bake circles for 8-10 minutes.

15. Remove from oven and let cool completely.

16. Wash out food processor and add in all filling ingredients except beet. Process until it comes together into a smooth ball.

17. Peel beet and grate 1 tablespoon to add to the filling. Process until filling has desired coloured. Add in more beets if darker colour is desired.

18. Spread filling on one cookie using a knife or pipe with a small tip and place second cookie on top.

19. Will keep in an airtight container on counter for up to 5 days.

Powered by Recipage
Featured on: Wellness Weekend

Are you a good multitasker? Are you a fan of beets?

Comments

1. says

Multitasking, oh man, something Jay always claims is not possible at all, but if you think of all the things on my plate right now like: moving, going abroad, Christmas, master thesis, work, blogging, blah… yeah, if I wouldn’t be able to multitask a bit, I would just hide under my blanket and wish for December to pass, while all of the tasks will be solved magically (all right, I might have tried that …). I am definitely a person that puts a lot on her plate and struggles afterwards, but I wouldn’t want it any other way: I get bored so easily.

2. says

I love beets, but I’ve never tried them in a sweet recipe before! I can totally see it working though because of how sweet beets are. And I love the pop of colour they add!

Haha that’s a good idea to use your time at the dentist to think of blog posts! I sometimes start writing posts in my head when I’m working out/walking.

3. says

Beets in oreos – girl I have no idea how you come up with these recipes, but I’m loving it. How in the world did you think to incorporate beets? You always have me so impressed.

I don’t have brown rice flour, do you think another kind would work?

4. says

Necessity is the mother of all genius inventions! Now I very much -need- a cashew-free version of these. No pressure ;) And girl, I’m literally always writing posts in my head. The worst is when a brilliant idea hits me in the shower and I don’t have any way of writing it down before I forget what it was.

5. says

NO. You seriously did not. My brother LOVES mint oreos and I will have to make these for him!

Now is it “oreos” or “oreoes”? Ah, Google says oreos. Good to know.

I am a pretty good multitasker I would say. I tend to think of blog posts any and everywhere too. Like in Statistics. Now I just keep my planner out and jot down ideas in the margins. :)

6. says

i love beets! esp in salads but i rarely eat them so when i did eat a beet salad at my inlaws for dinner, the next day i did my usual deployment (you know) and nearly had a freaking heart attack because i thought i had internal hemorrhaging! for real, i legit panicked for 2 minutes and had the phone in my hand to call my husband because i needed to go to the hospital but then remember that i ate beets and everything was ok. and it was funny.

the end.

7. says

Normally I would tell you to learn to say “no” because it’s amazing. Buuuuut if you saying “yes” means you are going to keep coming up with recipes like this then…..I’m going to tell you to NEVER SAY NO. These look delicious and holiday-y!

8. says

Holy guacamole! I am so impressed by your incredible multitasking skills- beets in cookies!? Amazing. I personally only like beets if they are cooked up because raw beets taste icky to me but when their sugars cook off into a meal, I love it! These cookies look fabulous. You are incredibly talented!

9. says

peppermint oreo cookies are one of my favorite things about the holidays (with milk, on ice cream, before bed, as a snack, etc) and the realization that they could be healthy… well.. not much could be better. i’m definitely planning to make these :) thank you!

10. says

I don’t even know how you come up with this stuff! Seriously, you are ten times more creative in the kitchen than I am! I’m a pretty good multitasker, but I’m better at lining up my day ahead of time. I’m notorious for putting stuff in my planner for 8 months out just so I won’t forget about it!

11. says

I am a total multitasker but lately I am trying to limit myself and not take everything on at once! When it comes to social media btw, I am no multitasker. I never adapted to the twitter thing, I use instagram, pinterest and on a rare occasion, facebook. I decided that it just all too much!

12. says

You definitely find out if you are a good multitasker when you over commit! The worst is when you can’t be two places at once. These cookies rock! They are so cute and festive and I’m all over the health factor. Today, I needed a healthy cookie … I know what’s on my to do list next! Could I use flour for the almond meal?

13. says

Girl. GIRL. These aren’t just borderline genius, they’re legit, no-lie, fo-shizzle genius. Using beets as an ingredient for something so yummy is nothing short of amazing.

As for overcommitment…yeah. I feel your pain, sister soultrain. I’ve been trying to get better about saying “no” when I don’t want to do something or just don’t have the time, but it takes a lot of effort to get comfortable with that. It’s a process!

14. says

What a cool recipe. I love Newman’s Mint-O’s, but I know these would be way better for me! I don’t know if I like beets. I really need to try them one day. Way to go on the multitasking. I’d say I’m quite good at multitasking and often enjoy it, but sometimes I need a big break.

15. says

So all I can really say about this post is that you, my dear, are brilliant. These look awesome and definitely the most creative use of beets I’ve seen lately. I like beets, but I never really buy them – I’ve never tried roasting them myself.

16. says

Always multitasking – sometimes too much so!!
    I’m not a fan of beets – I’m trying to imagine beets in cookies – you are amazing with your creations!!

17. says

This was my reaction when I saw this recipe “AHHHHHH Must have now. Oreos. Kind of healthy. In my mouth.” Or something like that. Such a neat addition to use beets! You’re a culinary genius. Bookmarked and pinned!

18. says

I actually was telling Amy that I can’t stand beets. Your cookies look delicious but I would probably make them sans beets and with plain stevia not peppermint. (you know my whole mint/choc fear).

Love the food styling / photo of them they look great.

19. says

I SAY YES TO EVERYTHING TOO! I am a people pleaser! Luckily, when I take on projects, I write them all on my to-do list and get down to business, no procrastinating!! NOPE !!!! NONE!! :D My type A personality helps me work as hard as Ryan Seacrest! LOL!

And is it weird, I have never had beets?!!!?!

20. says

I love it that I’m not the only one who multitasks like a mad woman! I do the same thing when I’m at the dentist or sitting in the waiting room at a doctors appointment…what better way to maximize your time? I also love to think about future blog posts when working out.

Love the healthy oreos and how creative it is. I’ll have to try these, especially since my husband LOVES oreos and peppermint!

21. says

When I read “peppermint” and “oreo,” I knew I would love these! They look fabulous!

You and I sound like two peas in a pod. I’m always trying to multitask and always seem to over-commit myself too. It’s so tough. I wish I could do everything, dang it.

22. says

These look fantastic! After really committing to a healthy lifestyle and losing lots of weight this year, I’ve been heading into the holidays with a sense of fear and apprehension. I just . . . have a hard time controlling myself around sweets. But if I made sure to have healthier goodies around me, I don’t think I’d have as much to worry about!

23. says

Ugh, I am the WORST at multitasking…though I have a tendency to forget that minor detail until I’m up to my ears in commitments! But I can honestly say I’ve gotten a LOT better about saying no lately and it has made SUCH a difference in my mental capacity (read: it’s almost a week to Christmas and I’m NOT losing my mind!) Where’s the thumbs up emoticon when you need it? ;)

I LOVE that you used beets in these! Not a versatile vegetable? Puh-LEASE! Have you seen what I’ve done with those babies? http://www.kissmybroccoliblog.com/recipage/?search_term=beets&ui=1173 Ohhhhh, now I’m getting an idea for something new! Must…find…paper!!!

PS, I love your little word “clouds” on your pictures! Too cute!
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Movie Monday