For some reason unbeknownst to me I seem to think I live in a grocery store. I’ve let you in on the secret list I keep on my phone of recipe ideas that pop into my head, but occasionally I get the urge to make those recipes right away. However, it never seems to occur to me that I might not have all ingredients on hand. These realizations tend to happen about halfway through the baking/cooking process…
This is precisely what happened with this recipe. I woke up with cherry pie on my mind and I got the grand idea to make chocolate cherry pie balls (for the record balls are always on my mind too thanks to Kewaza!). Here’s where I ran into a problem, I didn’t have dried cherries nor did I have chocolate (except the good stuff which is too precious) making chocolate cherry pie balls somewhat difficult to make.
At this point I had already processed the cashews and dates and the snowstorm outside meant a trip to the grocery store was not a possibility. Serious improvisation was necessary. Thankfully at the very bottom of my baking drawer I found a bag of white chocolate chips and just barely a cups worth of dried cranberries. The orange got added purely because it was sitting on the counter in front of me. So they aren’t chocolate cherry pie balls, but these Orange Cranberry White Chocolate Bars are pretty damn good nonetheless.
That my friends is how the magic happens.
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups cashews
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- zest of 1 orange
- juice 1/2 an orange
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white chocolate, melted
- 1. In a food processor or high-powered blender process dates until pea-sized.
- 2. Add in cashews and process for another minute.
- 3. Add in dried cranberries and process for another minute.
- 4. Add in sea salt, orange zest, juice and vanilla extract and process until mixture comes together to form a sticky ball.
- 5. Line a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with plastic wrap.
- 6. Press bars into pan and smooth out top so it is even.
- 7. Freeze for 15 mins.
- 8. Remove from freezer and cut into 12 bars.
- 9. Drizzle with melted white chocolate.
- 10. Keep in fridge for up to a month or freezer for several months.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!