Slow-Cooker Honey Mustard Drumsticks

My brother just stopped by the house for his daily coffee. Now that I’m not in the office 9:00-5:00 I’ve since discovered that my brother treats my family’s home like a Starbucks. Granted we have Starbucks coffee at my house so it kind of makes sense, but there’s at least 5 Starbucks locations between his apartment and my house.

honey mustard drumsticks

I was lacking inspiration for today’s post so I asked him for some advice. I showed him the pictures to hear his opinion to which he responded “meh”. Which was then followed by “I read your post today…it was okay.” So as retaliation I am posting about what a jerk he is. You’re welcome.

I’m just kidding, he’s only sometimes a jerk, but when it comes to the blog I don’t put much weight in his opinion. He did after all eat McD’s for dinner last night. It’s also incredibly difficult to make meat look as appetizing as baked goods for the record. I told him I was going to post about him today and he told me he’d start a blog where he’d shit-talk The Healthy Maven everyday. Sibling love at it’s finest!

honey mustard drumsticks 2

So here’s my recipe for Slow-Cooker Honey Mustard Drumsticks that my brother thinks looks pretty “meh”. The rest of my family on the other hand was smart enough to keep the commentary to themselves so that I would feed these to them for dinner last night. Wise people.

Slow-Cooker Honey Mustard Drumsticks

by The Healthy Maven

Prep Time: 5 mins

Cook Time: 3-4 hours

Ingredients (Makes: 10 drumsticks)

• 10 chicken drumsticks (any kind of chicken would work e.g. breasts)
  • 4 T dijon mustard
  • 3 T honey
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 T water

1. Mix together all sauce ingredients.

2. Add chicken to slow-cooker and coat with sauce.

3. Cook on high for 3-4 hours (will be done after 3 but whenever you can turn it off).

4. Serve warm over rice.

Powered by Recipage

Do you have siblings? Are you as nice to each other as I am with mine?

Comments

1. says

This sounds exactly like my twin brother and I…. you gotta love them. My brother walks around and refers me “The Kosher Cave Girl” in public. Sometimes it makes me want to smack him, but thank g-d I still have a shred of a sense of humor left.

Oh, and yeah, the chicken looks delish!
    D @ The Kosher Cave Girl recently posted…Pecan Butter Cups + Sea Salt

2. says

My parents used to make a specific Dijon chicken recipe that was fabulous. Not that I eat chicken anymore but I think I need to find out what that recipe was so I can share it with guys,,,and make it for my son. BTW, I saw that you shrieked when you spotted my peanut butter in Canada! I really hope you bought it!
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Thinking Out Loud – Dark Chocolate Chips, McDonald’s and Kimmy Gibbler

3. says

Haha I am like your brother, but I treat my parent’s home like free refrigerator to store my farmers market goodies while I hit the gym. Your relationship with the bro sounds very strangely similar to mine, except my brother just asks me repeatedly why the heck I always take pictures of my food. ;-)
    Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted…Pickling 101

4. says

Ahh one of the many reasons I need a Crockpot. Your brother sounds like a funny guy – at least you know that when he gives you a compliment, he really, really means it!! Send me some of these for lunch please! I’ll write nothing but good about The Healthy Maven in return!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…Rosemary Chicken Burgers

5. says

I have a twin brother! But, your brother and my brother sound like long lost BFFS…He would say the exact same thing to me. How-ev-er we are actually best friends and I wish that he could just pop over for coffee. Since he lives in Vancouver, BC and I like in Florida,…..it’s a bit of a commute. ;)
    But, this chicken? I need it
    Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness recently posted…Crockpot Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwiches With Avocado Ranch Sauce {Whole Wheat}

6. says

Haha, the banter between you and your brother is hilarious! It sure is great to have a sibling to trade insults with, isn’t it? :P Kidding, though having a sibling sure is awesome. :) Glad you ignore you’re brother’s opinion for this post because it sure looks delicious!

7. says

This is hysterical, sibling love! Tell your brother if he starts that hater blog we will spam him with retaliatory comments defending your honor. So obviously this recipe isn’t for me, but John has been looking for slow cooker chicken recipes so he can make a bunch (with little effort) and have it to eat with the veggie meals I make for us. So… perfect timing!
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Run the rainbow {giveaway}

8. says

My brother and I were always at each others throats when we were younger, but fortunately we seem to have outgrown that…for the most part. But yeees to this recipe. I seriously love chicken drumsticks and thighs compared to white meat. And while mustard is iffy for me, honey mustard is my favourite. So good!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…The How-To’s of a Lightbox.

9. says

I love using the crockpot! I haven’t tried to make drumstick style chicken in the crockpot, I actually don’t think I have ever cooked drumsticks actually. As for your brother stopping for coffee, I’m sure you are all happy to see him!
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…Thinking out Loud

10. says

I’m an only child, so this cracked me up. I’ve always wished I had siblings, but I think you just convinced me otherwise. Not if they’re gonna be unsupportive dickheads (sorry Davida’s brother. I don’t really mean that. I just have a fowl mouth). And this looks really good! Mustard is one of my favorite things to bake chicken with, so I’m biased.
    Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds recently posted…Your Perfect You

11. says

Brothers, what else are they good for? I actually do not have one, so I am just assuming that they are all really annoying. ;)

Nice of him to read your blog, my mom *just* started reading mine so I consider that the biggest accomplishment of the year!
    Tara recently posted…Oh, New York

12. says

umm well I think it looks amazing! and I can’t wait to make it! Is your brother older or younger?

I have a younger sister. When we lived at home in our younger yrs we fought alot! After I went away to college I noticed we got along much better when I would come home for the summer. We get along great now! Distance definitely helped us to appreciate each other and grow closer. :)
    Jen @ SavedbytheKale recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #6

13. says

I always wanted a brother, but hearing about you and yours kind of makes me reconsider. Actually that’s not true. I loved being an only child when I was younger, but I really wish that I had a sibling now that I’m older. All I have is my parents on this side of the pond, and while I love that we’re really close, it’d definitely be nice to have someone closer to my age!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #61 .

14. says

Lol…sorry, I can’t help but laugh at your conversation with your bro. I’m sure he meant well. The other day my husband asked why my hummus pictures made the hummus look gross. Thanks, love. You try to make it look better. Happy for suggestions…yeah, he quickly apologized but I’ll admit it stung for a bit. I’m over it. ;) Eh, the life of a food blogger.
    I happen to think that your pics of these drumsticks look really good! I don’t like mustard and I STILL want to eat some of these! What’s that saying? ;)
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Italian Bread

15. says

Dude….we must be twinning this week- our posts are within the same mindset and today- our siblings are mentioned.

Although, I secretly hope your brother starts the other blog. ;) Nice recipe- especially since I’ve stopped using the slow cooker with chicken boobs because they dry out abit too much- dark meat all the way! And honey mustard….hello.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…48 Hour Diary of an Intuitive Eater

16. says

My brother likes a lot of the foods I enjoy, but then there are…vegetables. When he was still at home, I would roast brussels sprouts and tell him to eat them (such a bossy pants), and he would do so grudgingly. And then when my mom went grocery shopping with him for his new apartment, she asked if he wanted brussels, to which he responded, “I only ate them because Alison made them, but no. I don’t like them.” ….Welllll at least he was considerate ;)
    I am a huge fan of honey mustard and crock pot meals, so I am PUMPED for this recipe! Thanks for sharing, Davida!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Behind the Scenes #6: Sweater Weather and Costco Goods

17. says

I only have a sister so it could be different from brothers. I haven’t seen her in several years as she lives on the East Coast. It would be awesome if she could swing by for some of these honey mustard drumsticks! It is hard to make meat look as good as baked goods!
    Carla recently posted…#OneChange For Better Health

18. says

I’ve always wanted a sibling. I’m an only child so I just fantasize about what it’s like to have a sibling.

Also not to be weird but mustard is like my current favorite food basically. In 20 days when I can have sugar again I’m going to make these because mustard + crock pot = love.
    Cassie recently posted…Sweet Potato Hummus

19. says

Ah brothers….they’re just delightful aren’t they, she says while dripping sarcasm. I have two and one is a huge proponent of eating well while the other gives all his money to fast food. Ironically enough, the fast food junkie is actually the one who reads my blog on the regular, not that we ever talk about it, but I know he does. I also know both of them would love these wings.

20. Alli says

These are what I’m feeding my hubs for dinner tomorrow! Looks so very yummy!

Some hopefully helpful ideas to clear some of the ‘meh’.
    Meat generally photographs better in stacks or piles rather than in rows-sort-of-arrangement.
    You could also try to get a starker white light to come from a side and arrange the meat so that the most likely to reflect surfaces are getting the light to give the meat more glossiness. Glossy looks juicier, therefore better.
    Think of that picture of the perfect steak that you can see is just starting to release its juices and the freshly ground sea salt melting on the steak… It looks so juicy you think you could almost taste it if you licked the picture. That’s what you want. Obviously if you have extra sauce getting some (strategically) on the meat will be a good idea.
    Also, meat loses it’s best look really fast when cooling, so try to have a clear plan and EVERYthing else ready before the meat so you can just slap the piping hot meat on (the top/side/whatever) and start snapping pictures. You really don’t want the juices running onto your pristine white risotto while you chop the cilantro to sprinkle on top.

Hope you find at least some of this useful, have a great day!

• says

Hi Alli!

Thanks for your thoughtful and thorough comment! Much appreciated. Thankfully I’ve improved quite bit in my photography since I shot this recipe (I believe it was about a year ago?) but I definitely still struggle with meat! Your tips are super helpful and I will let you know how the next shoot goes! Hope you and your hubs enjoyed the recipe. The bf LOVES this one and requests it often. Sometimes I throw some potatoes in with it too. Again, thanks so much!

• Alli says

No problem, I believe in fair trade :)

Btw, it turned out just wonderful, and the smell while it was cooking…
        Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Trackbacks