Weekend Recap 01/10-01/12

If I’m just being honest, I’m getting a little tired of Weekend Recaps. They are so so nice to look back on (like a virtual scrapbook!), but to some extent I also feel pressure to make my life seem interesting when more often than not it isn’t. Sure, I occasionally go to some cool event or try out a new restaurant, but a lot of the time I make pancakes, marathon TV shows and if I’m lucky, sleep A LOT.

I’ve mentioned this before, but at times I feel like I’m too connected to my phone. While it allows me to keep in touch with so many wonderful people and photograph moments I want to remember, it also takes away from my ability to just be in the moment. I’ve come to learn that if you try hard enough you can make anyone’s life look fabulous over the internet/social media, but I don’t want to be that person. I have said from the start that I always want to be authentic and transparent with you.

My life is very average and I am more than okay with that. But here’s where you come in. I’m asking for your feedback about my non-food or fitness related posts. Do you like them? Clearly I am incredibly narcissistic so life recap posts would never disappear for good, but I’m wondering if they need to happen on a weekly basis. Would you rather see more recipes or workouts? Would you prefer restaurant reviews or my Random Ramblings?

I feel kind of weird asking for advice because at the end of the day I blog for me. But at the same time I’ve developed a relationship with you, my incredible readers (please tell me it’s mutual!) and I would never want to let you down.

It would be so helpful if you could give me some feedback! For now here’s my interesting or not-so-interesing weekend recap. I’ll let you decide.

We’re officially 13 days into January and I’ve managed to only miss one day of my Salad-a-Day mission. Not bad! I think this massive salad I had from The Berkeley Cafe on Friday made up for my lack of greens on Saturday. Agreed? Please say yes.

berkley cafe

The only upside to waking up early on Saturday was having time to make these Apple Chai Pancakes. Unlike Amanda who doesn’t have the patience to make pancakes for breakfast, I don’t have the patience to do a full-out photo shoot, so like my Mexican HoCho Pancakes I’m gonna make you wait for the recipe. Please don’t hate me.

apple chai pancakes

Pancakes make me feel like I have superpowers or something so I hit the gym for a killer leg circuit. It turns out that pancakes cannot protect you from DOMS. My legs hurt…

workout

If you know me well then you know my lack of patience for waiting in lines. Probably the #1 reason I left NYC. Khao San Road on the other hand is 100% worth the wait. Seriously amazeballs. Get the Green Curry and Bangkok Pad Thai. Just looking at the picture makes me want to eat the whole meal over again.

khao san road

Sunday was productive but I’ll spare you the details unless you need a bedtime story (email me…). I did however manage to polish off an entire bowl of my White Bean Kale and Artichoke Dip while watching the Golden Globes except I didn’t have any plain yogurt on hand so I used strawberry. I would highly suggest you don’t make this substitution…I ate it anyway.

white bean kale and artichoke dip

So there you have it! If you skipped through the text and just scrolled through the pictures you may want to read the first few paragraphs where I admit to my boring life. Not sorry about it at all.

Would SO appreciate your feedback on Weekend Recap posts so please share! Love em’ or ditch em’?

Comments

1. says

Well hello there, long time no speak!

Weekend recaps I think are good posts to have in the mix but not one that always has to be done every week and not because they aren’t interesting, even if you sat at home and watched tv it is still nice to hear about it sometimes but I like reading a variety of different kinds of posts. I would rather more recipes and ramblings only because with restaurant reviews I won’t be able to go any time soon ;) With workouts I already do my own thing so those posts don’t interest me as much.

Drooling over your pancake recipe. Can’t wait to see it. I will also have to spend some time catching up on your old posts.
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…What a marvelous holidays it was

2. says

I know what you mean – you blog for you but you value your readers’opinions. I say do what you feel each day. I sometimes try to plan some posts but I end up not using them or changing them each morning because I prefer to write what I feel at the moment. If you don’t feel like recapping, don’t. I love a good mix of info! None of us lead such exciting lives that each weekend is sunshine and unicorns and new restaurants and fabulous moments that deserve full reports each and every week. At the same time, I am sure no one wants to keep seeing my chocolate cake sundaes, Red Mango parfaits and sushi rolls yet I include them when I want to because, well, I want to. lol
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…New Keurig And The Fitbit One

3. says

Honestly, I love to see what people do in their free time, no matter if it is entirely super cool and awesome or just average. That’s what makes you relatable to me – knowing that, while you can have fun experiences, you do live a real life, too. Plus if you keep posting recipes you’re going to make all of us other kids look bad ;) Just kidding! But in all seriousness, the mundane is interesting as well, at least for me. Plus, while I love recipe posts and all that, I’d never be able to make all of your recipes if you posted them seven days a week. I’d rather have a sprinkling of real life every Monday.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Sleepless [MIMM #21]

• says

Thanks SO much for the feedback. It’s easier for me to default to recipes because that’s what comes naturally to me but I can completely understand how it might be a bit overwhelming. I probably just need to be a little less self-conscious about my life…I mean it’s not like The Healthy Maven is US Weekly or anything haha

4. says

I say if you are getting tired of Weekend Recaps, give ‘em a rest for a while. Maybe you just need to have a little separation and then the love will return. They do say absence makes the heart grow fonder! besides, it’s good to switch it up a little bit. I can see where it would get stressful though. There is no way that I would ever do a weekend recap as I am lucky if I even get out of my pjs and leave the house…Boooooring ;)

How-ev-er I am having some serious weekend food envy over here. That salad…those pancakes…that curry! YUM!
    I feel you on the leg DOMS though. Definitely had that, aaaaand now I am about to go hit the gym and do it again. Yay.
    Not.
    Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness recently posted…Skinny Piña Colada Bread Pudding With Coconut Whiskey Sauce

• says

I feel like we’d make awesome friends in real life. I put on real pants for approx 3 hours this weekend. Otherwise it’s sweats or spandex if I’m being fancy lol. My DOMS put me out of commission…currently icing instead of gyming!

5. Erin @ The Almond Eater says

Noooo I like your recaps! It makes me realize that I’m not the only lame one ;) no but seriously, it makes you relateable, and I like that. Plus, if you posted recipes 7 days a week there’s no wayyyyy I could keep up. In my opinion, keep the recaps comin!

• says

Thank you!!!! Like I told Ang, I don’t think anyone has the expectation that my life be out of the pages of US weekly so I need to stop being so self-conscious when I spend the entire day watching The Good Wife on Netflix eating cereal for dinner….true story.

6. says

Davida, First of all I love you AND all things Healthy Maven! Second of all, the non-related food and fitness posts are my favorite. :) That’s probably because I’m nosy BUT it also is because you are interesting and we all love you!
    Madison recently posted…Olympic Athlete Survey

7. says

I love your random ramblings! As awesome as recipes and workouts are, I really appreciate it when bloggers share tidbits of their life and thoughts, because it’s what keeps me connected with them. It’s a way to relate to them and spark some interesting conversation, ya know?
    That being said, those pancakes look amazing, and I’m super excited for the recipe. And that curry and Pad Thai look like they would totally hit the spot on a chilly day!
    Hope you have a great week, Davida!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Weekend Confessions {MIMM #19}

8. says

Well good morning! I laughed out loud about your strawberry yogurt substitution. That sounds disgusting.

If you’re over weekend recaps, don’t write about them anymore. I love when you write about stuff other than food and fitness, but those topics just kind of come to us and they’re harder to predict. If there’s something you really want to write about, I say do it. And I would encourage you to keep writing about more than food and fitness when the spirit moves you. But if you feel like you’re pushing it to make your weekend and life seem uber interesting, that means it’s time to take a break or stop entirely.

In other news, my hands STILL smell like leeks after making soup yesterday…and I’ve washed them like five times. Just figured I’d give you a little recap of MY interesting weekend!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…From Start to Finish – Making a Budget

• says

Leeky hands are zee worst!!!! But at least your tummy is happy!

K I laughed a little bit when you said “when the spirit moves you”. I feel like a shaman or something lol. Lately I’ve been feeling a lack of inspiration in the spirit department…that’s why I turn to you!

I need to stop being so self-conscious about my life. I don’t think anyone expects me to lead the most exciting life and if I did I’d be a Kardashian! The consistency creep has come back and I worry about getting rid of the only weekly post series I’ve actually kept up with, but right now I just want to put my phone away and enjoy my life. Ah well, we’ll see how I feel next Monday…

9. says

In all honesty: I prefer life updates and random rambling of my favorite bloggers over any recipe or workout recap :D I mean, don’t get me wrong. I am a foodie and I love pictures of good foods. But there are thousands of recipes bookmarked in my browser which I will most likely never have the time to make, that I still enjoy reading through such a post, but it never get’s me as excited as reading some open and honest thoughts. That’s that.

On the other hand: I love a good restaurant review, even though I might be not able to go. I am a serious food stalker and people sharing what they ordered in a restaurant makes me drool on my keypad most of the time, and I am a happy drooler :) So I might need to go out for some Thai food soon, since the pad thai and curry caused some serious cravings.
    Ksenija @ With An Open Mind recently posted…Open Mind Weekly {02/14}

• says

Noted! Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. I really do appreciate hearing your feedback! Hopefully I’ll feel more inspired with some ramblings one of these days! And seeing as eating out is my favourite activity in life I think I can handle a few restaurant reviews ;) Now you my dear need to return the favour with some delicious French eats Si-vous-plait!

10. says

As much as I enjoy your recipes, I love -you- a lot more, so I’ll take your random ramblings any day, even if you feel like they’re not all that interesting. And for the record, I always thought you did way cooler things than me :P

PS – I can’t will myself to do photoshoots in the morning either… Even snapping shots of my breakfast for WIAW feels like a huge hassle, which is why I’m happy it only happens once a week…
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 1/12 .

11. says

I think you kind of answered your own question when you wrote “I blog for me”. Do what you want to do! I love to read about your weekends and what you’ve been up to, especially since we live in the same city. For example, I think I need to make a trip to Khao San Road as soon as possible. So keep up the good work! Your blog is one of the first ones I go to every morning, and every morning I can count on you for a laugh.
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…Tofu Scramble (for two)

• says

Christine-you are awesome. Thank you SO much for the feedback. I think I’m being a little too self-conscious about my life and just need to blog about whatever I feel inspired to blog about. It’s not like I’m a Kardashian (or even a D list celebrity for that matter) so I doubt anyone cares if I were to spend the entire weekend watching The Good Wife episodes and eating pancakes (true story).

And YES you need to visit Khao San Road! They have a bunch of vegan options like the green curry above!

12. says

I feel this same pressure sometimes–sometimes, being a college student causes my weekends to be made up of sleep, eating random foods, and Netflix marathons. I haven’t really had a problem with your weekend recaps at all, so if you want to continue them, I’d be happy about that. I think one of my favorite things to read are people’s random ramblings or thoughts, but that’s probably the psych major in me talking–people are weird and fascinating.
    Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted…Eating, Cuddling, Sitting On My Butt, And Accomplishing Huge Things

13. says

i say do them whenever. i haven’t done one in a long time because like you, my weekends aren’t that interesting for other people. also, i’m too lazy to take pictures of every little thing and frankly, i feel like a tool doing that. so if i have a collection of pics, i might do a recap but most likely not.

however, i do like to read about them!

kathy
    Vodka and Soda
    kathy @ vodka and soda recently posted…why i would never be a good contestant on The Amazing Race

14. says

You couldn’t have blogged about this at a better time as I was struggling with those thoughts this morning as I posted my boring weekend recap. But, like you said, your blog is like a virtual scrapbook. I care about my readers, of course, but at the end of the day, I blog to have something to look back at later.

When I read someone’s weekend recap and it wasn’t all that exciting, I feel like I’m able to connect with that person even more!
    Alex recently posted…A Weekend Indoors

15. says

Haha that strawberry yogurt substitution sounds interesting! ;)

I definitely know how you feel! Before the holidays I felt this constant pressure to go out and do things so I could have something to blog about. Which I mean really is kind of ridiculous! The way I look at blogging is it should add to my life – not cause additional stress. I love hearing about people’s lives but I don’t think weekly recaps are necessary.
    Danielle @LabelsAreForTinCans recently posted…A lesson in how not to change a lightbulb (and other things lately)

• says

You’re so right. I always said when I was living for the blog rather than blogging about my life is when I know I’ve crossed the line. This weekend I just wanted to do my thing regardless of whether it would be interesting to other people!

16. says

I do like reading weekend recaps from bloggers – the sociology nerd in me likes to see how people live their daily lives and what they get up to. But if you don’t feel like doing them, then there’s no pressure to feel like you absolutely have to! I’ve been finding that I do weekend recaps when I actually have an interesting weekend, and otherwise, I don’t bother.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…MIMM: Requirements for a Perfect Weekend.

• says

I’m actually trying to incorporate more workouts! I’ve had to be super creative since I can’t do any jumping or running but as it turns out you can get your heart rate up without either of those things. Hopefully more to come!

17. says

I think you need to decide if you want to keep your weekend recaps. Like you said you blog for you!!! You need to write about what you want and not dread it!!!!
    I love when you have random ramblings and talk about your life. I’m not a huge recipe person so I love when you post blogs that are not recipes! (Don’t get me wrong you post AMAZING recipes!) I love reading about the person behind the blog and how they feel!!!
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…Take a guess….!

18. says

I like everything you write… that’s probably not helpful. But anything you like, I’m good with. I feel the same way about being average and not always having “stuff” to write about. I went grocery shopping, got my hair cut, read, and cleaned the apartment… exciting stuff! Haha!
    Cassie recently posted…friday favorites #9

19. says

girl, write what YOU want to write! and please don’t feel pressure to make your life seem “fabulous” or “interesting”. you don’t have to do a weekend recap if you don’t want to! if you feel like you don’t have much to say about your weekend, talk about something else. i definitely don’t do a MIMM (which turns into my weekend recap) every week. it gets old!
    and i cannot believe you even tried using the strawberry yogurt in that dip! haha ick. i am totally going to look into the recipe with plain tho! ;)
    Caitlin recently posted…Marvelous Mohegan Trip!

• says

Your blog is one of the ones I turn to for inspiration! I love the variety and how I always get something new when I visit. I think I got overly self-conscious for a minute there and need to let go about what other people think. It’s a constant struggle for me!

20. says

I could go either way – I haven’t been reading your blog that long (unfortunately!), so I find the weekend recap interesting, but I’m sure anything else you posted would be interesting as well. That wasn’t really helpful was it? I also think that normal (maybe a little bit boring weekends) make you more relatable and real – we can’t all be doing amazing things all the time, right?
    Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes recently posted…Tacos, Tacos, Tacos [ Meatless Monday Recipe ]

• says

Thanks for the feedback lady! Man would I be exhausted if I tried to be exciting all the time. I’m glad my netflix marathons and pancake Sundays are relatable! It’s funny because the blogs I love most are the ones who feel relatable to me, not the ones I idolize!

21. says

OMG, you did not use strawberry yogurt. That sounds terrible!! But really made me laugh :). In terms of feedback, I think the fact that you’re saying you’re getting tired of weekend recaps means it might be time to take a break from them for a little bit. I have done a few weekend recaps here or there when I think people might find them interesting, but even when I did them I felt that it was pretty boring for people who had been following me on Instagram anyway, so I’ve held off for the past few weeks. (Oh, and also, some of my favorite weekends include me sleeping, running, eating, drinking, sitting on the couch with Kevin, and pretty much nothing else … so … that would be a short recap). Anyway, I do love the insights into your personal life because I think you’re such an amazing and relatable person, but I think you can do that in a lot of ways – “here’s what I was thinking during my walk today” or “5 things I do every morning” or “something that made me laugh yesterday” or whatever, it doesn’t have to be a full-on weekend recap. Pretty sure I’d keep reading no matter what you wrote, so do whatever you want!
    Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…One Step Ahead of Yesterday

• says

You are the best Megan!!! Thank you SO much for the feedback. I guess I was just having a moment where I was feeling self-conscious about my life. It’s hard to be objective about these things but at the same time what I love most about other blogs is getting to know them and I could care less if they do exciting things. It’s way more about their dialogue and commentary. One day I’ll realize the answers are right in front of me. Probably the same day when I stop judging myself so harshly!

22. says

Write about what you feel like! I know what you mean about weekends, I work fri and Saturday nights SOMETIMES Sunday night too. What a weekend,, womp. but I do share some clips from the weekend with Katie’s MIMM post, just a good way to start the week. You post such great things as it is, write whatever you like <3 we will still be reading! :)
    cait @pieceofcait recently posted…MIMM: New book, sweets & bridal shower ideas!

• says

Thanks Cait! Once I start working on weekends for Kewaza I won’t have much to share…unless youre interested in selfies at store demos lol. But I’m never without random thoughts so I’m sure I’ll wind up posting something ;)

23. says

I love your recap posts – I think a hallmark of being 24-25 is being a little boring and being okay with that and ultimately, enjoying it. I haven’t been doing anything too exciting but it’s what’s been making me happy lately. So don’t feel bad – if you’re boring, I’m boring, and I don’t think either of us are.
    Cassie recently posted…Getting it Together on the Road: Montreal [Eats]

• says

It’s funny because when I was living in NYC all I wanted was for my life to be a little more boring. I think I’m just coming to terms with the fact that I no longer have the stamina nor the desire to be exciting. And you my dear are certainly not boring!

24. says

I was just talking with Brandon about this yesterday. I was complaining about posting because I didn’t want to bore people with my meaningless weekend. So I opted for a recipe instead.

I personally like reading your random recaps but if you feel iffy about it then just do a short recap along with a recipe. And then take a day off from recipes during the week. It’s a tricky decision- you have to figure out if you want to be a blogger who posts a shit ton of content to get more hits from search engines or one that posts more high quality content less frequently to have followers who come back for more. At least, that’s how I look at it since blogging isn’t my job. If you only had to blog all day then you could post a shit ton of high quality content….or something.

Anyways, we all love you so just do whatever makes you happy and feels natural!! We’ll keep coming back!
    Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted…Roasted Butternut Squash Enchilada Casserole

25. Wendy says

Just want you to know that I look at lots of blogs, and the ones that I check into every day are the ones that have been going long enough to find their own balance. It really is all about you. When it seems to be a chore or you aren’t enjoying it as much, or a daily posting isn’t feeling good, then change it. Do whatever you want to do. You are only responsible to yourself, ultimately. Your true self. I suggest a break whenever you need it and time to search your own inner self for what you really want to do. As that changes, if you want to blog, do so, if not, don’t. Keep your life as simple and as satisfying as you can. It is meant to be enjoyed. If what you do isn’t bringing you joy, switch it up a bit, get creative in another doorway. You have the choices and you must find it within yourself. Others will always ask what they want from you and you can give and give, but give what you love to give. It makes the gift and the giver and the receiver so very much more precious. Blessings to you and all of you who blog.

26. says

I love reading about people’s lives! Whenever I really like a blog (and I really like yours!), the posts that help me get to know the person behind it are always my favorite. I don’t think you should feel any pressure to write recaps when you’re just not feeling it, but you also shouldn’t worry that your readers are bored. We’re definitely not! :)

But keep the recipes coming too :)
    Anna recently posted…Checking Out: Chicago

27. says

I like variety. If a blog turns into 100% recipes or workouts, they usually lose me. I like to see people living a healthy balance and that includes a social life and downtime. Short answer: Yes, I like the weekend recaps. Especially when they include Thai food. When I come to Toronto, you’re taking me there, k??
    Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds recently posted…Friday Five – Jet Setter Edition

28. says

I LOVE weekend recaps!! And your weekends sound SO like mine – TV marathons, kitchen, photo shoots and some workouts. SOMETIMES i have a nice event, but that’s it – and I still love to read about these weekends from others – so KEEP them coming!
    Of course I love your recipes or workouts too – restaurant reviews aren’t so much fun for me, since I love so far away, but I’m pretty sure they’re cool for the readers who live in your area.
    And let’s be honest girl – we’re your groupies, so you can write what the heck you want and we’ll still stalk you.
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…MIMM – #FitFriends Dates and Soreness

• says

Don’t tell anyone but this was by far the best comment I got! I’m so happy Arman connected us! I’m quickly becoming your Groupie too! It’s funny because what I love most about other people’s blogs is just seeing their day-to-day life and getting to know them. Gotta work on thinking more highly of myself and that people might actually want to hear what I have to say…it did take me 3 months to tell anyone in my “real” life about my blog so clearly it’s an issue. Gotta work on that!

29. says

Hey buddy- I actually have a post on this tomorrow on this kinda topic after some reader emails but long story short-

People come on here because of YOU- whether you write recipes, workouts, booty tooching or ways you will never be like Michelle Kwan- people come on here because of Davida.

That, or they might be like me and just have a damn crush on you. When I visit we can do just that…watch junk tv, eat pancakes, sleep. repeat.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Marvelously heatwaved

• says

The crush is mutual. And thanks for the post today. I was also thinking a post on people inflating their lives on social media and others trying to compare theirs to them might make for an interesting collab? It’s about time I get some Big Man on here…

30. says

I totally understand about about feeling obligated to make your life sounds more interesting than it actually is! But remember this- blogging is all about what you want to share so if you are getting bored with your weekend recaps you shouldn’t do them. Blog to make YOU happy! While I also understand about wanting to please your readers (hell, I’ve totally asked for suggestions from readers before too), at the end of the day, no matter what they say, make sure you want to do the posts. Because blogs are fun to read when you can tell the blogger had fun writing them! So as long as you are posting what you like, we will like it :)

On another note, I have been meaning to try Khao San Road but haven’t gotten to it yet. But that picture is making me drool!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…cheezy bean dip (and bonus layer dip idea!)

31. says

Strawberry yogurt in that dip? haha, sounds…. interesting. I feel the same way about my weekends! I make a point to not make a lot of plans on the weekends so I can just relax and recover from a stressful week. Don’t worry about what we want, blog about whatever you feel! We read cause we like YOU, not because we expect you to do thrilling and exciting things all the time. Here’s to days spent napping and Netflix-ing, just cause we can :-)
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Low-key weekend highlights

32. says

This is your place. I love coming over, reading about all sorts of things about you, your cooking , and just life itself. It’s real. Sometimes my pictures can make things look more ‘WOAH’, but my life totally normal and I love it just the way it is :)
    Kierston recently posted…Embrace The Change Of Pace…

33. says

I think I have enjoyed every post of your’s that I’ve read so if you do a weekend recap still I will read and like it. If you nix it and do something else, I’m sure I will enjoy it, too. Like you said – it’s your blog and about what you enjoy!!!
    Kim recently posted…Great Weekend Reads

34. says

Your weekends sound very similar to most of mine. I am totally fine with a weekend full of pancakes and tv marathons…it’s the small things right? :)

As for your weekend recaps. I like them! Even though they may seem boring to you, they are a good opportunity to share things that readers may have missed, like that insanely delicious looking spin dip!! I must have missed the original post and would have never known about it if I didn’t see this recap. I know what you’re saying though about feeling like you have to come up with entertaining stuff. Maybe if your weekend resembles another weekend recap you already did too closely, that week you could write about a thought you had over the weekend or something cool you heard about, and breeze through any food/recipes you feel you’ve discussed at length. You could also venture away from food/exercise and get into other areas of your life that you don’t discuss as much…but that depends how personal you want to get! Hope that helps!
    Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A. recently posted…Meatless Monday: Mexican “Baked” Sweet Potato

• says

I was telling a friend about how I feel like I’m in this weird time in my life where I don’t have the energy or the desire to be exciting yet I still feel guilty for it. I SO need to get over that guilt! I love your suggestion to branch out of just picture recaps. I get annoyingly self-conscious about what people might think about my thoughts which is all the more reason to do it. Actually you may have just inspired a post!

Thanks for the feedback, love. You’re the best!

35. says

I try not to blog on the weekends, so that I at least take SOME time away from the blogworld, which is why I’m all about weekend recaps! My life is fairly boring (unless of course I have a monster soccer game or something!) so I don’t have many weekend recaps unless I find something truly blog worthy to talk about. But I do love peering into other peoples lives :)
    KAT recently posted…Marvelous Monday: No More Imperfections

36. says

Strawberry yogurt, huh?! Not sure how I feel about that substitution ;)
    I love all of your random ramblings, I think they make you more “real”, and I’m sure they give you a break from editing all your delicious photos. At the end of the day your blog is about you and I think making it about the day-to-day aspects of your life (the ones you don’t consider blog worthy) can sometimes result in the most interesting.
    Sarah Pie recently posted…WIR #35: The pancake and puppy edition

• says

RBX Active! I believe they have them at Target!

And thanks so much hun. I was having a brief moment of being overly self-conscious about my life. One of the many things I love about your blog is hearing about your life and getting to know you better. It’s about time I realize what I like in others should be something I like about myself!

37. says

We know what you mean about the pressure of making your life sound interesting, we always feel the pressure to tell a little story with each recipe and sometimes it’s hard. We personally like reading about you and what you do and how you feel about things and we love your recipes as well. So do whatever makes you feel connected to your readers and is good for you.
    Vicky and Ruth / May I Have That Recipe? recently posted…Saffron Infused Cauliflower Soup w/ Sumac Oil – Vegan & Paleo!

• says

Thank you both so much for the feedback! There are some days when I draw a blank and just wish I could post the recipe with no text. Come to think of it there really isn’t anything wrong with that. You are so right, I need to what is right for me and what makes me feel connected to all of you.

38. says

Can’t go wrong with kale and artichoke dip! Delicious! I like the weekend recaps…I feel the same way you do, like I need to make my life look more interesting than it really is, but it brings such a person touch and it’s fun to see what other bloggers do in their free time instead of just recipes and workouts (although those are obviously awesome too). It makes you feel more of a connection and like you are hearing about a real friend’s weekend since you can see their down time and intimate time, if that makes any sense at all. I say keep em, even if you feel like they’re not always thrilling :)
    Paige@FitNotFad recently posted…Protein Pancakes with Strawberry “Syrup”

• says

It’s easy to forget that social media and the internet can easily make any life look fabulous and I have definitely found myself comparing my life to those. The reality is that boring or not I like my life and if anyone cares to read about it then that’s awesome, but if I think it’s gonna be a major snoozefest I may put it on hold for a pancakes recipe instead ;)

I so appreciate the feedback! Keep sharing your life because I LOVE getting to know you!

39. says

Haha I’m actually RELIEVED to know that your life is tres ordinaire!!!! Mine is too only with the addition of a wonderful and snuggly almost 7 month daughter ;) And that is something that’s been on my mind a lot lately!!! It is so easy to make our lives seem perfect through social media and we all at times fall into the trap of making our life look how we want it to be rather than how it is. I too want to be transparent and hope to be more and more in the future.

And in my opinion, it is totally cool if you do recaps and show us things as they are! That way we can relate more and not feel so distant. :D
    Ellie@Fit for the soul recently posted…“Healthier Questbars” Cinnamon Roll Protein Bars

• says

If I could just borrow Selah for a day I think that would resolve any boring blog issues ;)

It’s way too easy to start comparing ourselves to the images others project on SM. I can’t help but be a victim to it but I’m going to work hard not to compare myself from now on!

40. says

I like to read a bit of everything my friend! I think that you should blog about whatever the hell you feel like, which is pretty much what I do haha I don’t follow any scheduling like I know some other people do (Monday is the weekend recap, Wednesdays are WIAW….blah blah blah) because I like to write about what I feel like writing about that day. Sometimes I do weekend recaps, sometimes I do a tiny bit of recapping, sometimes I just skip it all together. Go on with your “boring” self and do whatever you want! I’ll be here to read whatever it is you decide to post about ;-)
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…My Latest Yoga Playlist

41. says

I like the variety of your posts and think its a good way to keep different people reading. Some may come for the workouts, some for the recipes and some for your “boring” life :). (Which by the way, does not seem boring at all, but I hear ya on feeling like you need to post something that looks fun or interesting!). I say write what makes you happy, it’s been working for ya so far!
    Danielle @ Green is the New Black recently posted…Friday Five: Currently

• says

haha thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear I’m not putting people to sleep! I guess I was just feeling self-conscious for a minute there and lost sight of why I love to write this blog. So be prepared for more “boring” reads ;)

42. says

Well friend, I have to say I love your weekend recaps, busy or not, because I’m creepy and love to hear about your life! I mean, hopefully I’m not actually creepy, but I think one of the reasons that bloggers start to feel like friends is that you get to know them and their normal, not-so-glamorous lives. Even though you’re telling the whole internet about your weekend, when I read about your weekend and you read about mine, I dunno, I think that might be where the connections start, if that makes sense. That said, you blog for you! You should share what you want to share. You could always do a mini recap if your weekend is boring and then share a recipe or something else along with it.

Two quick side notes: 1) the big salad totally counts, you’re all good; 2) DOMS is the pits!!! My legs have been killlllllling me from TRX-ing lately.
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Fit tip Tuesday: Scheduling workouts {BusyTips}

• says

It’s funny cause what I love most in other bloggers is seeing how real they are. It’s hard to have such an objective opinion of yourself though. Thanks for the feedback love! I think I’m going to try to keep doing it so long as I feel like I have something to share but I’m just not going to force it if it isn’t there.

43. says

You should do what you truly feel like doing. It’s your blog, and you should write what makes you the happiest.
    Personalluy, I love all of your food, fitness and personal posts, including weekend recaps. I really really like the way you express yourself, so I’m more than happy to read anything you want to post here. Personal or not, you always put a smile on the face of your readers… you’re so inspiring!
    And don’t worry, my weekends aren’t glamourous either haha. Just lots of pancakes, photoshoots, homeworks and naps!
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…{Makeover Mondays} Cauliflower Fried “Rice”

44. says

That salad looks really good. I can’t do pancakes…like at all..period unless I want to be in a coma the rest of the day. I’m really just an oatmeal with blueberries daily kind of gal. :) As far as blogs, I just like perspectives, on whatever life things someone is going through. I like to get to know the person behind the blog and what their life is like. If that includes recipes, or workouts, so be it. So a well-rounded blog I’d say. I never post pics of recipes or anything mainly because I’m a super shitty cook and what I do make I doubt people would be excited about. ha ha!
    Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal recently posted…1/2 Marathon Training Diaries-Week 11

45. says

I personally love recaps and hearing what everyone does in their free time. I do understand your concern though. Sometimes it seems when you try to label something it can feel constricting and boring. I would be happy to just hear of any recap you saw fit, weekend or not. And as for any other non-food post, while not quite as exciting (I mean… FOOD! ;) ) I prefer them to no posts at all, which is I guess to say that I enjoy them!
    Madison @ Eating 4 Balance recently posted…Theirs, Mine, and Ours

46. says

I know what you mean, Davida. As much as it’s nice to have a way to remember things by snapshots, it definitely prevents you from living in the moment. That’s why I rarely take my phone out of my pocket. I love your recaps, even when you’re just hanging out doing nothing! But definitely don’t feel pressured to continue them if they stress you out more than you enjoy doing them….
    Amy @ Elephant Eats recently posted…Rainbow Cookie Remembrance

47. says

I like recap posts, even when nothing exciting happens. In fact, I like the ordinary, run-of-the-mill ones better. Heck, I even have an entire link up party devoted to it. My Week In Review is a lovely little list of all the things I accomplished, big or small, exciting or not. Sometimes I have on there: washed floors, paid bills, went grocery shopping. Those things might not be overtly excited, but they certainly are real.

That salad is off the chain.

48. says

Omg girl, you crack me up! Strawberry yogurt? REALLY?! Some things are #strangebutgood and some things are #strangebutNASTY! Haha! I will admit to using apricot yogurt to top my pumpkin chili back in November…I pretty much skimmed the plain yogurt off the fruit, but some still ended up getting mixed in…it actually wasn’t that bad! Lol

I’m totally with you on the “making my life seem fabulous” thing which is why I don’t really do weekend recaps much anymore…I would seriously stress out sometimes over the weekend if I didn’t feel like I did enough (or got enough pictures of every.single.thing). Honestly though, I kinda like reading recaps…go figure. I love your recipes but I can get overwhelmed if there are too many in one week…there are actually some blogs that I’ve quit reading in the last year for that specific reason. I like your random ramblings and I think you should do some posts on your photography. I’m trying to get some thoughts together for a post soon on set up and editing, but I just had a hell of a weekend so I don’t know…we’ll see if it actually comes to fruition!
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Peanut Butter Pumpkin Banana Wrap

49. says

Like you said, in the end, its what will make you happy! I love ‘in the life’ type of posts because it helps me feel more connected to bloggers and see that their lives are similar to my own.
    And I definitely understand where you are coming from with the connection to your phone. This is something I really want to change for myself and I think I will once I get home from my trip. Plan = keep my phone in a different room than I am in. Watching Netflix & blogging in the living room? Keep phone in the bedroom! I know my boyfriend appreciates it more when I’m in the moment, and I feel better as well! =)
    Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted…Thinking Out Loud / #1.

Trackbacks