This Coconut Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf is gluten-free and healthy and makes a delicious springtime snack or nutritious breakfast!
My intention for this week was to only share Kosher for Passover recipes. Not that I keep Kosher or eat Kosher for Passover food, but for those who do, it’s nice to have food options besides matzah with peanut butter (which apparently is actually a no-go because PB is a legume!) or those horrendous passover Cheerios that taste like air. But I have failed you.
As unbelievably delicious as this Coconut Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf may be, it is NOT kosher for passover. Don’t get me wrong I am stoked to be sharing this recipe with you, but it was also the only recipe I had prepared and photographed. Lately I have been living off strange quinoa bowls and smoothies. Weirdly, when C goes out of town I lose all motivation to make meals that require more than turning a blender on.
Besides having no one around forcing me to eat something besides eggs mixed with tomato sauce and quinoa, I have also been slightly intoxicated. Before you check me into rehab, we’re not talking alcohol. I had every intention of making it to the grocery store today but I literally cannot move from my bed. Why? Because I think I ODed on my allergy meds. True story.
I have prescription allergy meds because I have the strangest allergy in the world, I am allergic to heat. Yes this is a real thing. I literally want to scratch my skin off if the temperature is too hot. Ironically I cannot stand the cold and crank the heat up as often as I can. Usually it’s when the temperatures go bonkers in the summer that it gets bad. Clearly, that is not the situation I am dealing with now.
I’m banking on it being something I ate. Gluten? Possibly. I also think it could be strawberries, but that just may be the hypochondriasis talking. The wise thing to do would have been to take an oatmeal bath (get clean and eat your breakfast too!) and take my meds before going to sleep. Instead I made the wise choice to DOUBLE my meds to knock me out so I didn’t have to deal with this horrific feeling of wanting to crawl out of my skin. And now here I am 24 hours later, somewhat delirious with a single slice of this loaf left. Someone please come feeeeed me. Mom? Are you reading this?
And this my friends is the long story about why you’re not getting Passover recipes.
Serves: 12 slices
- 2 cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour (I used Namaste Perfect Flour Blend)*
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut (plus more for sprinkling on top)
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar**
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 T poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Zest from 2 lemons
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (I use refrigerated kind, not canned)***
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Mix together gluten-free flour, unsweetened coconut, coconut palm sugar, baking soda, baking powder, poppy seeds, salt and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl combine lemon juice, coconut milk, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and eggs.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine. Do not over-stir. Sprinkle coconut on top if desired.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 45 mins on middle rack.
- Remove from oven and let sit in pan for 20 mins before removing and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Will keep for 5 days (possibly longer, it just didn't last that long here!).
*Replace with equal parts brown sugar
***Replace with any kind of non-dairy or dairy milk (just won't yield as much of a coconut flavour)
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!