These Sweet Potato Blueberry Waffles make the perfect breakfast for any season! With the freshness of blueberries and sweet and heartiness of sweet potatoes, you’ll be eating this healthy, gluten-free waffle recipe year round!
It’s crazy to think that a year ago I was working on my first ecookbook! How I managed to develop, cook, test again and put together 40 breakfast recipes in 7 weeks is still beyond me. Sometimes I think I might be crazy…and then I remember that I definitely am.
I taught a “How To Build an Ebook for your Brand” course a few weeks ago and I realized in developing the course how little desire I have to develop another ebook. People have asked me if I would do it again and I think they’re surprised to hear when I tell them no. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy the process (though it was frustrating at times) or that it wasn’t successful, I just feel like I’ve “been-there, done-that” and I’m ready for bigger and better things.
I’ve realized lately that this attitude has permeated many areas of life. At one point I would have said yes to anything and everything, but these days I’m more apt to say no, even if I struggle with it on occasion.
I’ve learned many lessons in running a business but the biggest one has got to be on learning to say no. It’s easy to think that every opportunity is worthwhile when you’re still growing, but I’m realizing that spending all my time on a million different opportunities that might pay off leaves little room for those big-breaks that will require more time and energy than you could imagine.
Some goes for people. I can’t be at every networking event or maintain every single relationship in my life. My time is limited and precious and I want to spend it with those who raise me up, rather than tear me down.
It’s probably one of the hardest parts about growing up; Realizing that certain activities and people of the past don’t quite fit with your future.
I’ve been doing a lot of self-development reading lately (we’re gonna pretend that doesn’t carry the stigma of “self-help books”…) and I loved this quote I came across from Hal Elrod:
“Who you become today will determine what you are capable of creating tomorrow”.
I think this quote is spot on. I’ll admit that lately I’ve been ruthlessly living by these words, but there are so many new things I want to create that holding onto patterns, behaviours and people of the past that don’t fit with this future seems futile.
So nope, I won’t be doing a Healthy Breakfast eCookbook part #2, or any ebook for that matter but in doing so I open up space for new opportunities that I am so prepared to tackle.
Who woulda thought that waffles would make me so philosophical? BTW you should make them. They’re damn good.
Serves: 4-5 Waffles depending on waffle-maker
- 2 cups oat flour (ground-up oats) - GF if necessary
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup cooked & mashed sweet potato*
- 2 large eggs
- 2 T maple syrup
- 2 T coconut oil + coconut oil spray for waffle iron (I like this one)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond milk) - dairy-milk will work too
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Tools: Waffle Iron - I like this one.
- Heat up your waffle iron according to instructions.
- In a large bowl combine oat flour, baking powder and spices.
- In a separate bowl combine sweet potato, eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and milk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine.
- Stir in blueberries.
- Spray waffle iron with coconut oil and add about 1/2 a cup of batter to the waffle maker. Cook until waffle maker says it's complete.
- Top with maple syrup, nut butter or jam.
- These freeze well and make a great quick breakfast if you put them in the toaster in the morning.
Do you agree with my philosophy? Are you into self-development reading and books? If so, what have you been loving? We can swap lists!
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!