Your favorite chocolatey dessert got a spicy makeover with these Mexican Black Bean Lava Cakes. With a gooey center and a high-protein, healthy shell made from black beans, you won’t want anything else for Valentine’s Day!
I love love. I’m a sucker for a good RomCom and whenever I meet a couple I have to ask them how they met. To me, there is nothing that highlights the goodness of humanity quite like a good love story.
I think what I enjoy most about love is seeing what makes other couples fall in love with each other. No couple is ever the same. The things that you find most attractive in your partner may be entirely unattractive in another relationship. And even if what you find most attractive in your partner is the opposite of what your partner finds most attractive in you, on some level it is complimentary enough to form the basis of affection. It really is a beautiful thing.
Kind of like beans and chocolate.
Speaking of beans and chocolate, check out my latest video on YouTube where I’m whipping up a batch of these Mexican Black Bean Lava Cakes!
Is it wrong that one of the things I value most in a partner is that he has complete and utter trust in my kitchen creations? I actually feel grateful to be with someone who never ever “yucks my yum” and is open-minded when it comes to sneaking black beans in his lava cakes and spinach in his brownies.
I also love that he does the dishes without me having to ask…
But even when you are very much in love (with a man who will eat beans in dessert and does the dishes by choice), sometimes you need to just spice things up a bit. It’s something that C and I have to remind ourselves of when we find ourselves too wrapped up in the daily grind of life.
Small gestures like sitting down and eating dinner together, or going out together without our phones go a long way, and while we certainly don’t make enough time for these gestures, they are incredibly meaningful when we do.
It’s part of the reason I love Valentine’s Day. Even though I think we should spread love everyday of the year, it’s nice to have a day dedicated to telling your loved ones how much they mean to you. It’s a day to “spice things up” and instead of the ordinary, let’s lay on the couch and watch 6 hours of Netflix, you have an excuse to do an activity together.
Or maybe you call your Mom to tell her you love her. Or spoil your dog even more than you already do (seriously though, I can’t imagine loving Rhett even more… I’m certifiably obsessed with the guy).
Or better yet, maybe you spice things up by adding a kick of Mexican flavor to my favorite Black Bean Lava Cakes. I can’t think of a happier way to celebrate Valentine’s Day than by feeding them chocolate
Serves: 4 lava cakes
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 T warm water)*
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup natural almond butter
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp dairy-free chocolate chips
- coconut oil for greasing ramekins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make flax egg and set aside.
- In food processor combine black beans, maple syrup, applesauce, almong butter, and apple cider vinegar. Pulse to combine (about 1 minute)
- Add in cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne, sea salt, baking powder and flax egg. Process until combined (about 1 minute)
- Grease 4 5oz ramekins with coconut oil. Make sure to grease well.
- Add a 1/4 cup of batter to each ramekin.
- Sprinkle some chocolate chips in the center of each and cover each ramekin evenly with remaining batter.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 mins.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 mins.
- Use a knife to loosen edges and then flip ramekins over on a plate. They should come loose easily.
- Serve immediately for best results.
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Simply Organic. I was compensated for my time and all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting The Healthy Maven and the brands that make THM possible!
Are you a Valentine’s Day fan? Are you a sucker for love?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!