brownies dessert gluten-free vegan

Fudgy Sweet Potato Brownies

March 6, 2013

Chocolate or Vanilla? One of life’s most challenging questions! Apparently your response says a lot more about you than you would think…

Vanilla-You are a delightful, friendly person. You are optimistic about life and people.
You are enthusiastic and energetic. You enjoy everything you do. You are cooperative and flexible. You get along with people from many walks of life. You’re not a show off. Instead, you’re more likely to help other people shine.

Chocolate-You are dramatic, charming, and downright addicting. You have a strong personality, and and people are drawn to your fabulousness. You are stimulating and exciting. It’s hard to get tired of you. You are incredibly likable and popular. You live a glorious life.

Sweet Potato BrowniesNow if you were to guess which one I would choose based on these characteristics, I am very clearly a chocolate lover. Unfortunately you would be guessing wrong! I will always always choose vanilla. Reliable, deliciously sweet vanilla! Well truth be told lemon flavor will always hold a special place in my heart, but vanilla comes in a close second. Lemon cake with vanilla icing? Consider my mind officially blown.

BUT today is not about vanilla. Every once in a while it is imperative that you indulge in some chocolate (it’s good for your health right???). And with that I bring you the absolutely most delicious, melt-in-your mouth, fudgy brownies. Plus they have the added benefit of being made mostly from sweet potatoes! These brownies are gluten-free, vegan and refined sugar-free. They are a must bake! I promise you will never go back to your Betty Crocker boxed mix.

Fudgy Sweet Potato Brownies

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 30 mins

• 1 medium to large sweet potato
  • 1 cup pitted dates
  • 1/2 an avocado
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2/3 cup of almond meal
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 5 T raw cacao (or sub cocoa powder)
  • 2 T coconut palm sugar (or sub brown sugar)
  • pinch of salt

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F
  2. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into chunks. Place into a pot of boiling water for about twenty minutes, until they become really soft.
  3. Once they are soft strain them.
  4. Next, add them to a food processor with the pitted dates and process until smooth.
  5. Put all the wet ingredients into the food processor with the potato/date mix and process together.
  6. Add dry ingredients and continue to process until mixture is thick and fudgy.
  7. Pour into a 9x9 inch baking pan greased with coconut oil. Cook for about 25-30 minutes, until you can pierce the brownies with a fork bringing it out dry.
  8. Allow them to cool for about ten minutes so brownies stick together. Remove the brownies from the tray, leaving it another few minutes before cutting them into squares – enjoy!

Would you consider yourself more of a chocolate or vanilla lover? What’s your favourite cake/icing combo? Feel free to bring me lemon cake with vanilla frosting any day of the week 🙂

Jessica Jensen
    March 8, 2013 at 10:14 pm

How interesting! I may be trying this one in the near future. 🙂

Em Kathryn
    March 15, 2013 at 2:29 pm

These look absolutely amazing! I love that they are vegan with healthy components while still getting my chocolate!!! Just found your blog and I’m excited to read more!

Davida
    March 15, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I’m so happy you like the blog! Definitely give these brownies a try. They are THAT good! If you’re looking to up their protein you can swap buckwheat flour for brown rice flour, equally as delicious.

Unknown
    March 15, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Goodness, Davida, this recipe sounds wonderful! I’m trying to keep my fat calories down. Would it be possible to substitute something for part of the almond meal without ruining the recipe?

Davida
    March 15, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I can’t say i’ve tried them with anything but almond meal but you can definitely give a heavier weight flour a try. Something like quinoa, millet or even buckwheat flour might work. If you do make a substitution you might want to add 1/2 tsp of xatham gum just to help keep them together. Let me know how it works out! Enjoy 🙂

About this site
    March 16, 2013 at 2:22 am

I look forward to trying these brownies. I have tried black bean brownies and they were quite remarkable. However I have not previously seen a brownie recipe that also includes sweet potatoes.

eli
    April 9, 2013 at 6:08 pm

these sound great, and we have most of the ingredients in the fridge already! is it possible to use regular flour instead of brown rice flour?

Davida
    April 9, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I’ve never made them with regular flour but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work! Give it a try and let me know how it goes 🙂

Cindy Gordon
    April 11, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Wow, this recipe looks beyond amazing!! I can’t wait to try them!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! 🙂

The party starts tonight! Can’t wait to see what you bring this week!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

Cindy Gordon
    April 13, 2013 at 1:43 am

Just a quick note, that I featured this recipe as one of my favorites this week! Thanks for linking up and looking forward to see what you share this week 🙂 Cindy

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
    April 13, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Thanks Cindy! So kind of you to host all of us. I posted a recipe for gluten-free and vegan coconut waffles this week. They are delicious!

Best of THM 2013 - The Healthy Maven
    December 27, 2013 at 5:01 am

[…] 1. Salted Caramel Apple Crumb Bars 2. Raw Oreos 3. Fudgy Sweet Potato Brownies […]

Sweet Potato - A Food A Day
    June 13, 2014 at 3:21 pm

[…] Fudgy Sweet Potato Brownies (credit: the Healthy Maven) […]

kirsty
    August 27, 2014 at 8:34 am

Hi, little bit late on making a comment here, but the recipe

1 tsp vanilla
    5 T raw cacao (or sub cocoa powder)
    2 T coconut palm sugar (or sub brown sugar)

is it vanilla flavouring, pods or extract?
    and the measurement for the raw cacao and the coconut palm sugar 5T ( whats the “T” equal , table spoon / tonne ) would be great if I could resolve this ?

many thanks in advance , Kirsty

August 28, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Hi Kirsty! vanilla is vanilla extract. and “T” is tablespoon. Sorry for the confusion. Enjoy 🙂

45 Creative Ways to Cook Sweet Potato
    October 17, 2014 at 12:11 pm

[…] 45. Fudgy Sweet Potato Brownies […]

Haters Gonna Hate Fudgy Sweet Potato Brownies | Sass & Balderdash
    November 20, 2014 at 8:45 am

[…] Enter: Fudgy Sweet Potato Brownies. […]

#glutenfreefridays #35 is live! Come share your #glutenfree recipes! - Vegetarian Mamma
    February 14, 2015 at 5:18 pm

[…] Sweet Potato Brownies via The Healthy Maven […]

Lola
    December 4, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Thank you so much Healthy Maven for this recipe! I didn’t think I would be able to satisfy my brownie craving with my goal of eating healthy but I struck gold with your recipe. It turned out super yummy!