Uncategorized

Five on Friday: 5 lunches 1 lunchbox

August 30, 2013
If after reading the title of this post you immediately thought of a pop-culture video from several years ago featuring 2 girls, 1 ____ then get your mind out of the gutter! Either that or you watch Orange is the New Black. Thankfully neither has anything to do with today’s post. Instead I’ll introduce you to my favourite earthly possession, my Laptop Lunchbox.

I’ve mentioned it several times on the blog before but I’ll be honest, I was nervous about doing this post out of fear you might judge me. You see…my lunchbox is made for children. I’m sure if you have a child under the age of 12 you have seen one or you stalk Pinterest like I do. Regardless of the age range declared by the company, I am thoroughly and completely obsessed. I knew I had to have one when I saw it for the first time. The Virgo in me is totally neurotic about the placement of my food. Growing up my food absolutely could not touch each other. I’ve definitely eased up over the years but there are certain habits that remain. Don’t you dare try to put that peanut butter covered knife in the jelly!

Besides my food neuroses, my lunchbox allows me to bring a variety of meal options and snacks to work so I can happily eat throughout the day (my snack drawer also helps). There are also days where I have plans after work and/or have my gym bag with me, making me look nomadic! Rather than having 5 Tupperware’s, my Laptop Lunchbox makes things slightly more portable.

Over the last few months I tried to remember to take a picture of my lunch when it was “photo-worthy”. I thought I would share 5 of these photos with you. Perhaps they will inspire some of your lunches or you may even go out and buy a Laptop Lunchbox! I highly suggest you do.

Moroccan Turkey Meatcakes over a beet and goat cheese salad, bell peppers & sunbutter,
Emily’s Roasted Miso Sweet Potatoes & a Lemon Hemp Bite
Avocado & Persimmon Grilled “cheese” w/ carrots, blackberries & cinnamon
Costco Quinoa Salad, Dark Chocolate Cherry Bar, Lemon Hemp Bite
and a Blueberry Muffin Energy Bite
BBQed chicken & asparagus, Harvest Grain Salad,
grapes & a plum & a Double Chocolate Protein Muffin
GF Sandwich Chicken Sandwich, carrots, pineapple & cherries
& a failed muffin recipe (I ate it anyway)
Strawberry Shortcake Baked Oatmeal w/ Strawberry Chia Jam, steamed broccoli
pineapple, 2 Blueberry Muffin Energy Bites

Have you ever heard of Laptop Lunches? Do you use a lunchbox or bag?

veganmiam.com
    August 30, 2013 at 10:05 am

Awwwww, that looks like a bento box! It must be so fun to photograph daily meals! I work abroad, and I always eat out in Asia and Latin America, or make myself a simple dish in Europe and other countries.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      August 31, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Yup based on japanese bento boxes! Actually no fun taking pictures but you know how I feel about food photography 🙂 I didn’t get your talent!! I LOVE seeing your daily eats and finds!

Madison
    August 30, 2013 at 11:15 am

Heck yes! I would take any of those lunches, please! They look delish.

Karen
    August 30, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Love it! I also pack my lunch everyday. Yours looks a bit more appetizing than mine :p
    Karen @karenlovestorun

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee
    August 30, 2013 at 12:36 pm

LOVE. I need one. My tupperware situation is getting out of control! Have a great weekend in MTL (Hi C!) xo

charlotte @ commitness to fitness
    August 30, 2013 at 12:44 pm

ohh cute!! i want one! have a great weekend!!

softserveandsquats.com
    August 30, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I brought a lunch bag to work this summer, but the laptop idea is seriously awesome. I don’t like it when my foods mix so this would be perfect! Also, your lunches are beautifulll! Have a fabulous weekend girl 🙂

August 30, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I’ve never heard of the laptop lunchbox, but I love it! Are the containers microwave safe? I bring tupperware in a grocery bag usually, but this is a great idea!

gottaeatgreen.com
    August 30, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I love your lunch box! How awesome is that! My lunches are usually in Tupperware containers that are either too big or too small .. this would be ideal!

Marathon Mom
    August 30, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Love this lunchbox! I so need to find a new one, mine is so small so I often use a grocery bag!

August 30, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I love that lunchbox – I think it is a perfect solution for anyone (not just kids)!
    I just eat at home so no lunch box for me.

Shashi Charles
    August 30, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Oh my – you would be quivering if you saw me putting my peanut butter covered fingers into the jelly jar (seriously who needs a knife) Sorry for painting that picture – am a virgo too, but so far food placement has not bothered me as much…so far.. 🙂
    Your lunch boxes look GREAT – I wish YOU packed my lunch 🙂
    Have a great weekend

Sky-Ann @ The Little Button
    August 30, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I love your lunch box. That;s one of the best ones I have seen yet. Also looks like you packed some delicious lunches. It gave me some great ideas. Thanks

Shawn @ Fruity N Nutty
    August 30, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I’ve never seen laptop lunch boxes before but they look so cool and I really want one now. Everything looks so delicious and neat, unlike my lunch boxes which usually look like a complete mess by lunch time.

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    August 30, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Most importantly, your lunches look deliiiiicious!!! Definitely clicking through some of your recipe links now! I’m out of town Mondays-Thursdays and can’t pack lunch, but on Fridays I like to have a lot of different things like you, and I end up being exactly the bag lady you mention! Today I had to bring a plastic grocery bag because I had so many containers :).

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      August 31, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Story of my life! I need to hear more about your job. Sounds crazy you’re travelling 4 days a week. Must learn your tips!

Tara
    August 30, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Everyone is talking about Orange Is The New Black? Do I absolutely have to watch it? I’m considering the time for the investment and might put the first episode on this weekend.

Your lunch box kind of reminds me of a bento box from a Japanese restaurant!

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    August 30, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Oh my god that lunch box is amazing! I would actually be impressed if a kid used that – they would be extremely organized 😉 Love all your varieties of food!

I am totally the girl who carries around a million tupperware containers. In high school one of my friends used to make me fun of me for all the bags – along with my flute – that I’d carry on the bus. And I had horrible balance! Didn’t make for a good mix. Maybe this is my solution! 😉

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      August 31, 2013 at 5:02 pm

omg my friends and coworkers make fun of me!!! I always have so much stuff on me. People HATE me on the TTC gahhh

Angie @ A Mother's Pace
    August 30, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I have a lunch box very similar to that and I love it. (I don’t use it very much now because I’m staying at home with the kids.) Your lunches look amazing and it’s so much easier to pack a healthy lunch when you have the perfect containers to put it in.

August 30, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I’ll admit that the two girls thing is exactly where my mind went when I first read the title of your post lol. Oh dear. And judge you for your lunchbox?! Girl, you’re crazy! That’s seriously the best lunchbox I’ve seen. I love the idea of all the different compartments – it would make meal planning so much easier. And let’s be real… any way to make lunch a little more fun is a winner in my books.

Brittany
    August 30, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I NEED THIS LUNCHBOX! Oh my gosh I LOVe it!! And your meals are soooo amazing looking.

Sarah Cook
    August 30, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Oh my gosh, you are so adorable, I can’t stand it! I’m a Virgo too so I can completely relate with your neurotic ways. I love that lunchbox!!
    All of your lunches are so pretty and healthy too.

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    August 30, 2013 at 4:03 pm

OMG! Where do I begin. First of all, I am the SAME WAY about my food touching. Hello, no please! Second, I love this lunch box! It’s amazing! Third, have you seen the new Cooking Light? They have a feature on different bento boxes and it totally reminds me of your lunches. Although I have to say yours look amazing! Can’t wait to try some out!

August 30, 2013 at 5:24 pm

This lunchbox is awesome! I love how it comes with containers of all different sizes. And it’s the perfect way to keep all your containers together. I usually pack like 5 different containers for my lunch and they end up all over the place in my bag!

mrsmurphyslawoffitness.com
    August 30, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Cute lunchbox- does it come with the lunches too??! 🙂

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake
    August 30, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Awesome lunchbox! Those lunches look really good by the way!

Gina @ The Runivore
    August 30, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Ok, that lunchbox is awesome! I feel like it would encourage me to make sure I have a good variety of items, including the stuff I should be eating like veggies 🙂

workoutjunkies
    August 31, 2013 at 12:06 am

Who cares, that is awesome! Pottery Barn sells one similar to that and I almost bought it for my kids, so I will have to take a look at the one you have:)

August 31, 2013 at 12:32 am

That invention is epic- I want one too! I swear kids get the greatest inventions, and something like that would be so beneficial for the working market! I’m tempted to find one on ebay!

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    August 31, 2013 at 2:23 am

I love that lunchbox!! It’s so cute & organized (I’m a Virgo too). Maybe it’s a Virgo thing? haha I actually don’t have a lunchbag or lunchbox… I walk home for my lunch break, so I’m lucky, but if I didn’t… I would need one of these pronto!
    Your lunches look beautiful, btw! 😀

Paige Podbelsek
    August 31, 2013 at 9:50 am

I use a bag but this is too cute! Love it!! Definitely a better way to keep your food separated.

jillconyers
    August 31, 2013 at 11:25 am

Love the lunchbox! Perfect for portion control and it’s too cute.

Alex@Veggin Out
    August 31, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I have almost boughten cartoon covered lunch boxes before so don’t feel bad… 😉 Love this lunchbox! Little compartments are the best. Like you said, more variety! If I had to pack lunches for school, I would totally consider getting one of these gems!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      August 31, 2013 at 4:47 pm

It’s funny because I would love nothing more than having to NOT pack my lunch…but if I do at least I have a sweet lunchbox 🙂

Joanne
    August 31, 2013 at 3:15 pm

YOu’re making me really want to get a lunchbox with lots of little compartments now!

Archana@FeedingTheFoodie
    September 1, 2013 at 2:06 am

thing I dislike about other lunch boxes are that they are too bulk and “tall” ! I love this ones since its nice and flat (and I love all bento boxes too)

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries.com
    September 1, 2013 at 5:26 am

You’re lunches look amazing! Typically I just buy a salad from Trader Joe’s. I’m very impressed!

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries.com
    September 1, 2013 at 5:27 am

I need an abort button for the spelling errors!!!
    Your* 🙂

Run like a G!
    September 1, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Amazing!
    I saw similar lunch box at Bed, Bath, & Beyond that I was thinking about getting! I think if more people invested in these types of lunch boxes they would eat healthier at their jobs!!!

Carla Bruns
    September 1, 2013 at 5:39 pm

No judging from me…I use bento boxes for my lunch! Your lunches are so healthy and good. I’m afraid that you must be spending all your time in the kitchen. How do you get blogging done? 😉 You have definitely inspired me to make my lunches more decadent and healthy.

*CaNdY FiT*
    September 1, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I can’t remember the last time I used a real lunch box!

Robyn Coale
    September 2, 2013 at 1:36 am

yum! I use a lunchbox every day 🙂
    I can’t wait to make the chocolate protein muffins..thinking I could maybe use Vega One chocolate protein powder instead of whey…thoughts?

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 2, 2013 at 5:40 pm

So I tried making them with vega and they didn’t turn out so great 🙁 BUT I was trying to keep them entirely vegan so I used a flax egg instead eggs so that could be why!

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    September 2, 2013 at 8:07 pm

i have a giant cooler that i lug to work and it contains all of my food for the day (2 snacks and a lunch). i use a variety of different size tupperwares/glass containers and ziplocs. the cooler is huge too!!

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    September 3, 2013 at 3:38 am

I use a soft lunch box… it has a big monster on it.. it’s for 6 year olds but it’s so cute I couldn’t resist! I love all these options you supplied.. and they all look so pretty too!

Michie Scott