Uncategorized

Five on Friday: The Snack Drawer

August 16, 2013

Hi friends! Happy Friday! Today I thought I would jump on the blogging bandwagon and give you a little Five on Friday. I am introducing you to a very personal part of me…My snack drawer.

THE GOOD LIFE BLOGI have a snack drawer. It is located within arms reach of my desk (god forbid I have to get up!) and it is filled with goodies. By goodies I mean healthy snacks. Occasionally an “unhealthy” treat makes it’s way in there, but for the most part I try to keep it clean! Despite the fact that I love coming up with new snack recipes, my snack drawer is completely filled with snacks I have bought. I have a terrible problem of shopping for my snack drawer on my lunch break. My favourite places to frequent? Health food stores (obviously), Bulk Barn and Home Sense. It’s a rare day if I don’t come back from my lunch with a new snack in hand.
{Source}

The weird part is that I always bring my lunch and it usually contains at least 2 or 3 homemade snacks. I have an obsession with my lunch box (post for another day) and really do enjoy prepping my lunches for the week, but still I am a chronic snacker. First things first I had to recognize the problem. Done. Then I had to come up with a game plan. It’s this game plan which I’d like to share with you today.

Like a lot of people, I eat when I am bored. I know I’m supposed to work on changing this and recognizing I am eating because I am bored but that just doesn’t work for me. Some people say to just bring what you will eat. You know what that results in? A visit to the convenience store located in the lobby of my building that has a torturous wall of chips, cookies, candy bars etc…For the most part I don’t actually crave these foods, but don’t for a second think that if I am in my “hangry” state I won’t eat a Snickers Bar. It’s happened on more than one occasion…

{Source}

So instead of avoiding food, I figure I may as well surround myself with healthy options. That way if I am going to binge while spending 8 hours staring at an excel spreadsheet, I may as well eat things that are good for me. By no means am I preaching eating unlimited quantities of even healthy foods. Everything in moderation my friends. This is something I am still working on myself.

So which foods make the cut? The #1 thing I look for is sugar content. I avoid refined sugar entirely so anything that has added sugar ain’t makin’ it into the drawer. Natural sugars are fine…the drawer can’t be that exclusive. In general I just don’t like foods that are overly-processed. Some snacks are more sustaining for when I am actually hungry while others are there for when I am just eating to eat.

Because it is Five on Friday I thought I would share with you the top five food staples in my snack drawer.

1. Bare Apple Chips-These totally curb my sweet and crunchy cravings all at once. They are completely organic and have no added sugar. I found them at Home Sense and basically bought out all their inventory.

2. Seapoint Farm’s Energy Blend-I have to thank my Mom for this Costco find. This really does give me energy and when I need a “real” snack to tide me over this definitely does the trick. Plus I love dried edamame. I usually portion this out into bags otherwise I would eat the whole container!

3. Popcorn-My go-to snack when I am just eating to eat. I usually know this is happening but I don’t have enough will-power to stop myself. I think my co-workers would hate me if I tried popping popcorn in the office so I usually air pop some at home and bring it to work or I go for a lighter store-bought option like Skinny Pop.

4. Dark Chocolate– I like mine more than 70%. My favourites? Lindt 85% Cocoa or any of the flavours from Chocosol. Check to make sure the first ingredient is not sugar (preferably no sugar). This is perfect for fixing those sweet tooth cravings that always hit after a big meal.

5. Granola/Protein Bars-My favourites are The Simply Bar, Kind Bars and Quest Bars. It’s actually a challenge choosing which one I want to eat since I love them all!

When all else fails a cup of tea usually hits the spot 🙂

Do you have a snack drawer? What are your favourite foods to snack on?

chelseashealthykitchen.com
    August 16, 2013 at 11:57 am

I love the food section at HomeSense! It always has such awesome deals on healthy foods. Also I like how it tends to have really unique products that you can’t find anywhere else.

My favourite snacks are apples, homemade trail mix with dried fruit and seeds, Greek yogurt, homemade granola bars, and crackers with hummus!

Samantha @ 24 to 30
    August 16, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Yep, I’m also a chronic snacker and it is a very hard habit to break! These are good options! Found you from the linkup!

August 16, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Thanks for stopping by! Sent a little love over to your blog. Nose looks great 😉

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers
    August 16, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I’m a huge snacker! I’ve learned not to fight it, just to make it healthier.

August 16, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I was -SO- psyched when I found those apple chips in Homesense. I usually buy mine at the grocery store, but they cost an arm and a leg so it was nice to find some a little cheaper. Unfortunately, I think other people caught on to their deliciousness because I can’t find them anymore. As for favourite snacks… bananas with AB, Greek yogurt messes, homemade cookies/muffins/breads, trail mix, and cereal are my go-tos.

Happy Friday, lady!

August 16, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I may be the person responsible for Homesense running out of apple chips!! My drawer is stocked but I noticed they don’t have them anymore at homesense so I better ration them out.

Bananas with AB are a total win!

thelittlehoneybee
    August 16, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Ahhh am I ever a snacker! I love it. But I don’t have a snack drawer which actually does not result in unhealthy snacking (because I don’t go out to buy it) but it doesss result in a case of hangry-ness when I get home. My idea is that if I don’t have it in the office I won’t eat it out of boredom but it’s not always the greatest plan. Clearly working on self control…
    ps. Love all these snacks!

August 16, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I literally cannot function when I am hangry. No focus whatsoever so I have to get something to eat! Surrounding myself with healthy options has been key otherwise I might start lashing out at my coworkers…bad idea!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    August 16, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Oh I totally have a snack drawer! I keep granola bars, fruit,and sometimes trail mix. I also try to keep a yogurt in the office fridge!

August 16, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I used to keep yogurt in the fridge until they mysteriously started going missing…there’s a yogurt thief at my office!

Molly
    August 16, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Let’s me real, I think we all can relate to “eating just because” and while we are all aware of it, even if we wanted to, it’s a hard habit to break. I completely agree that some snacking is inevitable so I like your “be prepared in advance” approach. I’ve eyed that energy blend at costco but unfortunately I am allergic to a few ingredients. I love keeping a jar of soy butter and a bowl of fresh fruit for pairing, mixing cereals with dried fruit (and sometimes dark chocolate chips) is a current snack, I keep yogurt and hummus in the fridge to pair with crackers or vegetables, or like you I enjoy air popped popcorn.

August 16, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Sounds like we’re on the same page! That must be so frustrating having a nut allergy. I’ve actually had you on my mind lately because I want to start using less nuts in my recipes. Are you able to eat seeds??

Also air popped popcorn is the best invention since sliced bread!

Madison
    August 16, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Thank you so much for this post…I’m actually making my grocery list now and need to buy healthy snacks! I cannot keep reaching for the Reeses when I’m out of fresh fruit. 🙂

August 16, 2013 at 6:07 pm

But reeses are so good!! I hear ya girl. Hope you got some tasty and healthy treats on your grocery shop 🙂

August 16, 2013 at 2:02 pm

HAHAHA I love the picture of the popcorn inside your drawer! That is priceless.

My drawer has breakfast (those stupid granola bars) and Wheat Thins. Not going to lie, there is sometimes a box of Cheese-Its in the drawer too.

Those apple chips look really good. I’ve never heard of them, or of Home Sense! I wonder if I could find them out this way.

August 16, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I should have you know I actually licked my fingers after reaching into that bag. I LOVE popcorn. Going to the movies is torture for me.

Homesense is the same as HomeGoods…Canadian styles 😉

Reba Cox
    August 16, 2013 at 2:04 pm

You and I could definitely be work snack buddies. I have almost the exact same things in my drawer. The only difference is that I’d rather eat a real apple. I love the Quest bars so full of protein. My fav is the cinnamon roll one. It is sooo good.

August 16, 2013 at 6:02 pm

For some crazy reason apples don’t always sit well with me! Except with peanut butter:) I’d like to believe there is a science behind that. Would love for you to be my work buddy! Time to move to Toronto!!

Dixya
    August 16, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Recently I have not been snacking a lot but usually theres granola, chocolate, or protein bar with me at all times.

August 16, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I almost always have a snack on me. There’s a 50-50 chance I’ll lose it on strangers if I get hangry and have nothing to eat on me!

Em Kathryn
    August 16, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I absolutely have a snack drawer at work! It always has a jar of pb and tea. Other snacks include banana, bars, dates, rice crackers… thank goodness for it!

August 16, 2013 at 6:10 pm

If Five on Friday was Six on Friday you better bet that a jar of PB would be #6. Currently snacking on it with some rice cakes 😉

Danielle @ Labels are for tin cans
    August 16, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I totally use to keep chocosol in my desk at work! So so good. And that IS totally healthy for you! 😉 Like medicine!

August 16, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Obsessed with chocosol! I actually did a chocolate-making class there a few months back. Such a wonderful place…not to mention the incredible vegan chocolate!

AmyC @ running escapades
    August 16, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I love popcorn…of any kind!!

August 16, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Ahhhh me too. Especially movie popcorn 🙂 I indulge in it every once and a while!

Liz @ Fitness Blondie
    August 16, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Awesome post girl. Thanks for some ideas. Those two places you mentioned on the beginning of your post, I have never heard of! Which is odd because I love healthy eating and exercise. Where are you located? Popcorn is my savior. Great finds!

August 16, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Ah I’m guessing you aren’t Canadian? Homesense and Bulk Barn are canadian stores but Homesense is essentially the same as HomeGoods. You should check out the specialty food section. You can get some awesome foodie finds 😉

mrsmurphyslawoffitness.com
    August 16, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I snack a lot throughout the day. I love nuts and fruit. I am also guilty of taking a spoon to the peanut butter too!

August 16, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Same here! I often bring celery sticks to work and whip out the peanut butter from my snack drawer and dip them in. It’s a perfect and well-balanced treat 🙂 Hard for me to stop eating the PB though!

Sarah Cook
    August 16, 2013 at 5:00 pm

It’s so important to have healthy snacks on hand so that you don’t make bad last-minute decisions!
    I love the Kind bars too and dark chocolate is a total must!

August 16, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Agreed! I’ve been wanting to try the new Kind bar flavours but they haven’t come to Canada yet! Hopefully soon 🙂

rika@veganmiam.com
    August 16, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Happy Friday, Davida! I kept seeing a few blogs documenting their five on friday items, I wonder if it’s a common topic! But it’s so nice to see these five items on each Friday! Wow a snack drawer, what a great idea! I typically avoid “snacks” and make myself big healthy meals, so I ended up not buying them at all. all my drawers are filled with kitchen necessities, tools, dinnerware, and serveware. It’s crazy, you should have seen my kitchen, but I won’t be back home until November. I will be in Spain and Argentina at that time. As for lunch box, have you tried a bento box? I love them, they’re so cute! Interesting list of five items. I have never tried all of them (assuming some are vegan). I like to snack on Brad’s Raw Kale chips, cookie butter, salted popcorn with nutritional yeast, fruity vegan yohgurts, and sometimes, I reward myself with a local bagel with GoVeggie! cream cheese (the best ever.)

August 17, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Hi Rika! I linked up with Five On Friday that quite a few blogs seem to be linking up to as well. I love the idea and have learned some awesome new things from the other blogs.

I wish I could eat enough at a meal to tide me over to the next but for some reason I almost always get hungry in between. I definitely eat until I am full though. Maybe I need to be eating higher calorie foods?

I am so jealous of all of your travelling escapades! It’s so fun to follow them and live vicariously through you 🙂

I actually use a bento-style lunch box! It’s made for kids but it works for me. It’s called laptop lunches. I plan to do a post about it soon.

I am a huge fan of popcorn with nutritional yeast! Kale chips are delicious too. Have a wonderful weekend Rika!

Paige Podbelsek
    August 16, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I have a snack box and try to keep it full all the time! I love bars!! Quest are DEFINITELY my favorite and have the lowest sugar content. I used to love Larabars…well I do still love them..but they’re so high in sugar I had to cut back. All of your snacks look soooo good! Definitely want to try those apple chips especially.

Paige@FitNotFad

fitnotfad.blogspot.com

August 17, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I’ve seen your snack box on the blog!! Filled with quest bars right?? I need to get me one of those…

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake
    August 16, 2013 at 7:34 pm

I avoid refined sugar as well. Fruits, Quest bars, Puffins, nutbutters and dark chocolate are my favorite snacks!
    I love a good hot cup of coffee or cup of tea!

August 17, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Sounds like we eat the same kind of diet 🙂 Dark chocolate and a cup of green tea always hits the spot!

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    August 16, 2013 at 7:45 pm

i drink tons of water so don’t feel like snacking because i’m always going to the bathroom! that’s my secret to avoid constant snacking. i do have snacks though; i’ll have some greek yogurt with fresh berries or some carrots with hummus or a handful of almonds.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

August 17, 2013 at 3:42 pm

That’s so funny, I drink a ton of water too and am ALWAYS going to the bathroom! Doesn’t seem to help curb my snacking habit though! Love snacking on almonds. Sometimes hard to stop eating them though!

Alex@Veggin Out
    August 16, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Ohhh chocolate! I always have a stash of that lying around! 😛 I love quest bars and kind bars as well. Perfect snack break at work. I don’t actually have a snack drawer, but at school, my wardrobe is more dedicated to food than clothes so I guess I have a snack wardrobe? Haha anyway, snacks are so important to fuel hard work or study sessions. At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 😉 I love fresh fruit as a snack too!

August 17, 2013 at 3:46 pm

That sounds like me when I was in school! I’ve always said I could care less about my bedroom, the kitchen is the most important room! Sometimes my bedroom starts to look my pantry. So important to fuel. I was constantly snacking when I was in school…and drinking an excessive amount of coffee (luckily I broke that habit!).

Nikki @ willrunforpizza
    August 16, 2013 at 10:28 pm

This post sounds like I wrote it! haha…my work posse makes fun of me daily b/c i’m always snacking on something…I eat 3 pieces of fruit for breakfast and my breakfast starts about 8 and by 10:30, i’m done with my breakfast. But I snack on protein/trail mix bars too, dark chocolate in the afternoons, Chobani yogurt, and sometimes sweet potato chips or some kind of bean/rice chip (I try to minimize the amount of corn I eat since it’s so fattening). Those Bare Chips and Quest bars look yummy! I’m going to have to look for those!

August 17, 2013 at 3:45 pm

That is soooooo funny! My work friends make fun of me too cause I am literally ALWAYS eating! It’s actually pretty impressive how much I can consume. I’m going to think of you the next time one of my coworkers comments 🙂

August 17, 2013 at 12:42 am

Haha, I went to costco for the first time last weekend and got the same edamame and snack mix!

I would be in the same position as you when choosing a bar- I would want a bit of each of them! My favourite snacks are either a protein muffin or something substantial like nuts with cheese. If I do something too small, I’d just keep snacking away!

August 17, 2013 at 3:43 pm

No way!!! My Mom is Costco’s #1 shopper and she’s always getting me some awesome new finds (the best!).

Protein muffins are awesome too. I usually bring those in the snacks I pack from home but maybe I should keep extra at work so when the snack attack hits I eat more of them!

Katelyn @ Imperfect Perfection
    August 17, 2013 at 2:56 am

I snack all the time! I love Bare Apple Chips!

Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition
    August 17, 2013 at 5:12 am

Hi Davida! What an awesome post! I’m addicted to those apple chips- and dark chocolate 🙂

August 17, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Sunnie! Thanks for stopping by 🙂 I have actually found some awesome snacks through your blog. You do the best reviews!

Jan Sproutsnsquats
    August 17, 2013 at 6:34 am

All those snacks look delicious!!! We don’t have half of those brands here but I wish we did.

August 17, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I feel your pain! Compared to the states we Canadians get half as many good products! Might be worse in the UK though. We should start a petition lol

Jessie
    August 17, 2013 at 8:35 am

Happy Friday (well now Saturday), girl! My favorite snacks would include; apple with nut butter, quest bars, tuna with pretzels, and smoothies (of course).

August 17, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Would it be excessive if I brought a blender to work? I’ve actually contemplated it! Happy Saturday love!

jillconyers
    August 17, 2013 at 9:13 am

I love KIND bars! Right now my favorites are the new lower sugar Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt and Dark Chocolate with Chile. Yum! The apple chips look yummy!

August 17, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I am desperate to try the new flavours but they haven’t come to Canada yet!!!! grrrr

Run like a G!
    August 17, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Those Bare Fruit Chips look amazing! I may have to seek them out!
    My husband LOVES LOVE LOVES Quest Bars!!!!

Sky-Ann @ The Little Button
    August 17, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Great 5 on Friday post. I live snacks too!!! My favourite bars are the KIND bar. I love the one with chocolate drizzle on it.

August 17, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Ahhh is it the chocolate cherry cashew one?? I have a homemade recipe for them on my blog! Once of my favourite flavours 🙂

Brittany
    August 18, 2013 at 4:22 am

Popcorn is such a key part of my diet!! Topped with nooch for some extra health benefits and cheesy flavor! I love snacks, but I do try to make sure I don’t snack TOO much!

workoutjunkies
    August 18, 2013 at 5:58 am

Your snack drawer is way healthier than mine, haha. I don’t typically snack but if I do my first choice is sunflower seeds:)

strawberriesandrunning
    August 18, 2013 at 10:55 am

I am OBSESSED with the Bare Fruit Apple chips – especially the cinammon flavor! So good!

However, in general, I don’t like snacking too much because it never leaves me very satisfied!

August 19, 2013 at 2:23 am

It’s true, once I start it’s hard to stop. Usually if I can’t stop it’s because I didn’t eat enough at my previous meal. I’ve been trying to fill up at meals to avoid snacking but sometimes it’s just out of my control 😉

caffeinatedrunner
    August 18, 2013 at 2:01 pm

quest bars microwaved for 10 seconds plus some sort of nut butter = my favorite snack 🙂

August 19, 2013 at 2:23 am

Tried the nuked quest bar for the first time on Friday. Holy delicious!!! Need to top it with some nut butter. Heaven on earth!

Paige Podbelsek
    August 18, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Hey Davida…I nominated you for a Liebster Award 🙂 You can check out more info on it here: http://fitnotfad.blogspot.com/2013/08/liebster-award.html

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    August 20, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Great snack choices! I love dried edamame and with so many soybean plants growing this year in our garden I think I’m going to dry some for snacking! Can’t wait! 🙂

Makeshift Margaritas
    August 23, 2013 at 1:47 am

Ooh, that dried edamame looks like the perfect work snack! I would definitely have to portion them though – I’ve found myself going to town on almonds at work lately! Found you through the 5 on Friday Link up!

August 23, 2013 at 2:29 am

I’m not the best at portion control when it comes to nuts! They are my weakness 😉

Chocolate Gingerbread Granola Bars - The Healthy Maven
    December 15, 2013 at 5:00 am

[…] problem. I’ve already talked about my habit of lunchtime shopping trips to scout for my snack drawer, but clearly things have gotten out of hand. And now that my employment prospects are […]