dessert gluten-free paleo popsicles/ice cream raw vegan

Healthy Pistachio Ice Cream

August 9, 2013

Confession….I don’t love ice cream. Now before you get your panties in a bunch let me explain myself. By no means do I NOT enjoy ice cream. I can definitely agree it is good, but for me when it comes to sweets I will always be a pastry girl. The way to my heart (or stomach) is through cakes, cookies and pies. I think ice cream can certainly add a nice to touch to any of the above, but it is not a stand-alone dessert.

Healthy Pistachio Ice Cream-#dairyfree ice cream made with banana and pistachios! // thehealthymaven.comThere’s also the fact that my stomach has a serious aversion to this stuff. While I am known to get a scoop every now and then (example: last weekend) it must absolutely be worth it to endure the inevitable stomach pains which ensue. Dairy-free ice creams are definitely the answer for me so when recipes were popping up everywhere with ice cream made entirely from bananas I couldn’t help but smile! Unlike ice cream, I LOVE bananas. Unfortunately for those of you averse to bananas this may not be your cup of tea but if you like bananas and you like ice cream, this recipe is a total winner.
Healthy Pistachio Ice Cream-#dairyfree ice cream made with banana and pistachios! // thehealthymaven.comI thought it was important that I give it a little Healthy Maven twist. One of my favourite types of ice cream is pistachio flavoured. If you’ve never tried it, you are seriously missing out! That and green tea ice cream yummmmm. So when I dug into my absurdly large stash of frozen bananas I thought why not mix it with the pistachio butter I had on hand? Pistachio butter is way too easy to make and far too expensive to buy. My suggestion? Buy some pistachios (shelled if you’ve got $$$ and zero patience) and then just throw em’ in the food processor until it reaches a smooth, butter-like consistency. Sometimes I roast them for a bit more flavour but that step definitely is not necessary. Then combine it with some frozen bananas and boom…you’ve got yourself some Healthy Pistachio Ice Cream. I hope you give it a try!

Healthy Pistachio Ice Cream

1. Place frozen bananas in a food processor or high-speed blender for around 2 mins. You will need to scrape down the sides every 20-30 seconds or so. Add in a splash of almond milk if you want to thin it out.
  2. Once banana is smooth add in pistachio butter and process until well combined.
  3. Serve immediately.
  4. If saving, keep in freezer and let thaw for 10 mins on counter before serving.

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat
    August 9, 2013 at 11:13 am

I’ve never heard of pistachio ice cream, but I’m putting pistachios on the shopping list! I love that you can make this 100% raw too. Please come share at Raw Foods Thursdays!!

August 9, 2013 at 11:41 am

I completely forgot!!! Thanks for the reminder Heather 🙂 Looks like you are getting quickly settled in NYC. You are going to love it!!!

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat
      August 12, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Yay! I’m sure glad you did! I’m going to highlight this ice cream at RFT this week as part of my “Dessert for Breakfast” theme. YUMMY! Yes, getting settled in and already loving it! What a great place to live!

August 9, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I know it’s ice cream, but this reminds me of a really delicious looking dip! So I am trying to imagine it tasting cold and pistachio-y.

In other news, I’d like you to come and live in my kitchen for a while and come up with all of your new, creative, and delicious recipes there.

August 9, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Just quit my job and on my way! Would gladly be your personal chef 🙂 I may make you eat bananas though lol

Run like a G!
    August 9, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I’ll still be your friend even though you don’t love ice cream 🙂
    In the summer I get ice cream at least once a week but come fall and winter I hardly eat ice cream! This is huge for me since I use to eat ice cream almost every day!

August 9, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Thanks Heather 🙂 I definitely eat seasonally too. I’m actually craving fall/winter just so I can have a big bowl of soup!

thehappinessrecipeblog
    August 9, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I was never an ice cream girl until recently. In fact I didn’t like most sweets besides cookies until recently as flakey pastry was too rich for my taste buds. Frozen Banana Soft-serve ice cream is delicious and I don’t even love bananas on their own! Looks like a great recipe, I wish I could have pistachios!

August 9, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Molly I realized I make way too many recipes with nuts! Can you eat seeds? I hate that you can’t eat anything I make! Maybe this is a sign I should cut down on my nut consumption…

caffeinatedrunner
    August 9, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Hahah okay your opening alone cracked me up. The first time I had pistachio ice cream (I was 5) I raced home and told my dad “I ATE ICE CREAM WITH PITS IN IT”…I was a strange child. Anyways, I love the healthy spin you put on it by using bananas 🙂

August 9, 2013 at 7:07 pm

LOL you are hilarious! My nephew is almost 4 and actually says the most ridiculous things but I’m obsessed. Now if only I could get him to eat this…he sticks to a very exclusive diet of peanut butter sandwiches (can’t really blame him!)

Brittany
    August 9, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I have to agree, I would MUCH rather have a pastry or for me a cupcake!! I do like ice cream paired with cake, but rarely ever ate it alone. Even more so I REALLY don’t like ice cream in the summer..no no no, when it’s hot out the last thing I want is a heavy cream based treat. This recipe is PERFECT and pistachios are my favorite nuts!

August 9, 2013 at 7:09 pm

So i’m not the only one!!! I actually thought I was crazy for not being obsessed with ice cream. This is definitely much lighter than ice cream and helps me meet my daily banana quota (at least 5!) lol

Dixya
    August 9, 2013 at 4:07 pm

although Im not much of a banana person I love when its incorporated into smoothies or ice cream. I love pistachios though-thanks for this idea. I might turn this into a smoothie 😛

August 9, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Please do! I have some leftover pistachio butter and bet it would taste awesome in a smoothie. Let me know if you start recipe brainstorming!

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    August 9, 2013 at 5:54 pm

WAHHHHHH 3 ingredients turned into that scrumptiousness! BOO YA Grandmas!

August 9, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Hahahahaha GiGi you always crack me up! Do I get even more kudos if I only use two ingredients?? LOL

Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness
    August 9, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I’ve never tried dairy free ice cream but this does look and sound delicious!! and i LOVE ice cream. Like, if given the choice between ice cream, cookies or cake… i would mash up the cookies, add them to the ice cream and then put that on the side of the cake 🙂

August 9, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I certainly would not complain if I had a mashed up cookie inside ice cream! Actually I went through a phase last summer where I was a tad bit obsessed with Mr. Softee (a heat wave in NYC will do that to you) and on especially hot days (or hangovers…) I would go pick up a giant cookie from Vesuvio bakery and then break it up into my Mr. Softee cup with sprinkles! K now I want one of those…

Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen
    August 9, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Haha hey consider yourself blessed for not loving ice cream! 😀 This looks delicious! I just recently tried pistachio ice cream and loved it! I’ll have to get some pistachio butter. Happy Friday girlie!

August 9, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Happy friday Alex!! I might be blessed in not loving ice cream but I can demolish a cake like it’s nobody’s business…It’s impressive actually lol

Marathon Mom
    August 9, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Yum! I am making this for sure 🙂

Sarah Cook
    August 9, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I love pistachio flavored everything! This sounds really good and I love that it’s healthy! Win, win!! 🙂

rika@veganmiam.com
    August 9, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Wow! Pistachio ice cream! I love a bit of saltiness from the nuts! That sounds like a great idea to mix in with the ice cream! Thanks! And Happy Friday!

August 11, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Hope you had a wonderful weekend Rika! Love the sweet and salty! It’s a surprising combo but it totally works!

Jessie
    August 10, 2013 at 3:32 am

I actually made Pistachio ice cream back in March, but for some reason haven’t since. I can’t believe I forgot just how amazing it tastes!!

August 11, 2013 at 11:58 pm

So goooood! I used to think it was weird but that was before I tried it. It’s even better with bananas!

Paige Podbelsek
    August 10, 2013 at 3:43 am

YUM that looks good! And so much easier to make than I would guess. Awesome!

jillconyers
    August 10, 2013 at 8:40 am

Ironically, last night my daughter and I were talking about how ice cream just isn’t our thing. We can both pass it up easily. This recipe? It looks like something I would love! Oh and pistachio butter? Why didn’t I think of that? I love making my own almond butter so why not pistachio too. I’m adding pistachios to my shopping list 🙂

Do you use pistachios with or without salt? I’m assuming without but wanted to make sure.

Thanks for linking up with Fitness Friday!

August 11, 2013 at 11:59 pm

I love banana “ice cream” with almond butter too! But pistachios are definitely my favourite combo. I use unsalted and add in my own salt if I think it needs. Thanks for hosting us Jill!

Alex@Veggin' Out
    August 10, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Yay, I can comment!!!! 🙂
    This looks great because I do love both ice cream and bananas! I’ve always wanted to try pistachio ice cream, but ever since I found out I’m no longer allergic to nuts, I haven’t been able to find it. 🙁 May just have to try own sometime! And I love the idea to make homemade pistachio butter. That sounds fantastic even on it’s own!

August 11, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Yes!!!! Thanks for giving me the heads up! I looked into and tried to fix the commenting problem. Glad to see it actually worked! So awesome you’re no longer allergic. Definitely give pistachio butter a try. It’s amazingly delicious!

Nicole
    August 10, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Oooh nice, looks like a healthy, easy dessert to make! Unlike you, I lovvveee ice cream. My favorite flavor changes depending on the day, but I always could go for a cup of chocolate peanut butter. Back in the day, I thought that pistachio ice cream sounded gross, but then when I tried it while studying abroad in Italy, I was like, “Oh wait, this is delicious!” so I’ll have to make this!

August 11, 2013 at 11:56 pm

I definitely would not say no to a cup of chocolate peanut butter ice cream… then again I can’t say no to anything with peanut butter 😉

kellyrunsforfood.com
    August 11, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I love pistachio ice cream! I haven’t had it in forever, but that recipe looks great. I have yet to try the banana ice cream thing, but I definitely want to!

August 11, 2013 at 11:55 pm

You should definitely try the banana ice cream and get creative with the mix-ins. I’ve been trying it with some many different combinations. So far pistachio is my fav 🙂

December 19, 2013 at 10:01 pm

This looks amazing!! I need to make pistachio butter ASAP. Maybe this weekend!
    Cassie recently posted…Carrot Cake Stuffed Pancakes