Uncategorized

{MIMM} Weekend Recap 08/16-08/18

August 19, 2013

Hope you all had a mahhhhhhrvelous weekend! I know I did. I worked out very little and ate A LOT…I’d call that a good weekend right? No regrets! Not much commentary for you today. Short update on my running. I’ve managed to go for 2 runs in the last two weeks. Both were practice runs with my new forefoot strike. They lasted 10 minutes each. My calves hate me grrrr. I’m basically teaching myself how to run which takes a lot of the relaxing and stress-relief part out of the sport. But I’m determined.

In the meantime let’s talk about all the working out I haven’t done…unless you count eating as a sport, in which case I basically PRed 🙂

Marvelous is…polishing off a bottle of wine with your coworkers. Can I take a minute to brag? I seriously have the best coworkers in the world. I love these girls and love them even more after a few drankssss post work.

Marvelous is…eating out! For all of you who think I cook everything I eat, this weekend is a prime example that that is not at all the case. I ate out 4 times in 48 hours. I just haven’t been feeling particularly motivated or inspired to cook. Aka don’t expect a whole lot of recipes in the coming week eeek sorry!
Shrimp bowl from Burrito Bandidos. It was awwwwful!
Poor choices are made after a bottle of wine…
Ahi tuna nachos at Miller Tavern
Greek with Amy! We ordered the same thing…what else is new? Love this girl!
Great catch up session with Mel over sushi!
Would prefer if you didn’t leave for law school and we just went for sushi every night thankyouverymuch

Marvelous is…oatmeal. Nough’ said. This stuff makes my world go round and apparently is the only thing I am willing to cook during my dry-kitchen spell. If you didn’t see the post on Instagram, here is the recipe for Baked Stone Fruit Oatmeal: Combine in a small bake-safe dish 1/2 cup of oats, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 peach (diced), 5 cherries (pitted and quartered). Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20 mins. Voila! An easy and delicious breakfast.

Marvelous is…massages. Even if it’s a sports massage and hurts like a b*. My IT band is feeling much better. Maybe massages should become a regular thing? I think yes.

Marvelous is...spending time with loved ones. C, my sis and my nephew and I went strawberry picking. Since I cannot control myself around food I also bought a jar of honey, peaches (they taste like candy!!!), peach pie and of course some ice cream. I’m starting to really like ice cream…this may become a problem.

Marvelous is…smoothies. Again since I have not been feeling like cooking, smoothies are key! Look familiar? I did a take on my Healthy Pistachio Ice Cream by making a banana pistachio & blueberry smoothie. This was actually incredible. Here’s what I used: 1 frozen banana, 1 T pistachio butter, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup of spinach, 1/2 tsp xantham gum and 3 ice cubes. Now I’m all out of pistachio butter…#depressed
Marvelous is...yoga. It’s been a little too long since I’ve done yoga so I rolled out a mat in my backyard and ran through a 60 minute vinyasa class. I’ll give you more deets on how I do yoga at home in a post I have planned for this week. Stay tuned!
Thank you to the lovely Katie for hosting is. Baby Rocco is the cutest little nugget I’ve ever seen:)

Do you ever have weeks where you aren’t inspired to cook? How do you get over it? Have you had a chance to go berry picking this summer?

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee
    August 19, 2013 at 11:21 am

Your food haul from strawberry picking sounds amazing!! Mmm can’t wait for apples and our little and big helper 🙂 also pumped for your yoga-at-home post.. woohoo saving money! Have a great day xo

August 19, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Up tomorrow! Clearly since I’m not cooking…will you come cook for me? I will pay you with baked goods from the freezer lol!

Madison
    August 19, 2013 at 11:25 am

I do go through times where I just don’t want to be in the kitchen but then something happens where I get renewed/refreshed and am ready to hop back in and get cooking! Also, I have not gone berry picking this summer but would love to. I’ve heard it’s MARVELOUS! 🙂 Loved your recap.

August 19, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Hoping that I get hit by a wave of inspiration! So far oatmeal for breakfast and lunch eeeek. Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

August 19, 2013 at 11:27 am

Ohhh there’s that oatmeal again <3 I may or may not have needed a napkin after seeing you post that pic on IG, and now I'm convinced that baked oats need to happen in the very near future. It's been a while since I've had them, but with the cooler weather coming up, they'll definitely be making more appearances. And peaches! Gah! I can't even tell you how obsessed with them I am right now - so sweet! But I actually bought a few the other day that were ripe but had absolutely.no.taste! Not gonna lie... it kind of broke my heart

August 19, 2013 at 5:50 pm

LOL!!! Oatmeal just never goes out of style for me no matter what season!! Gahhh what a disappointment with the peach! Hope your heart is healing 😉

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    August 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I just went through almost an entire week where I literally ate at home 6 times….so I hear you on being unmotivated to cook 😉

Looks like a wonderful weekend!

August 19, 2013 at 5:51 pm

It’s funny cause I was drooling over all of your Instagram pics! Now that I’m on this eating out streak I think it’s time I hit up hogtown vegan 🙂

Nikki@willrunforpizza
    August 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Glad you got your massage too! My hurt like hell too but I feel sooo much better! Are you having to learn how to NOT be a heel striker when you run?? I’ve been working on the same issue the past few months…shorter strides is what has been helping me. How is it going for you??

August 19, 2013 at 5:52 pm

It’s definitely a challenge. I have to really pay attention when I am running which I never did before. And my calves are killing me! Starting from scratch with anything is always hard though. Let’s motivate each other 🙂

Jan Sproutsnsquats
    August 19, 2013 at 12:16 pm

What a marvelous weekend indeed!! So jealous of your wine and massage! Sports massages I both love and hate at the same time because it hurts but kind of in a good and bad way at the same time!

That oats recipe you made sounds delicious.

Drooling at all your food photos too 🙂

strawberriesandrunning
    August 19, 2013 at 12:21 pm

OMG no joke I went raspberry picking yesterday hahahah!!!!

And btw that oatmeal recipe looks so frickin good! I agree oatmeal is marvelous! It is safe to say that I have an obsession!

You also have inspired me to try pistachio butter….that sounds absolutely amazing!

Have a MARVELOUS monday 🙂
    xx
    Natasha

August 19, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Parallel lives I tell ya! I’m gonna take a wild guess that your raspberries made their way into your oats this morning 😉 I think I put a pound of strawberries on mine….an ode to your blog of course 😉

chelseashealthykitchen.com
    August 19, 2013 at 12:54 pm

The best weekends are always the ones that involve lots of food and little working out. 😉 Yours sounds fabulous! I love catching up with friends over a good meal out. Also I love seeing where you go out to eat because it gives me ideas for when I’m in Toronto.

Sports massages hurt so much but they seriously feel sooo good. I’ve been meaning to go for one soon because my hip flexors are crazy tight lately.

August 19, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I still cannot get over that pirate cake!!!

My hip flexors were screaming for a massage. Definitely hurt while it was happening but I feel better now 🙂

Jessie
    August 19, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I have never seen a more beautiful oatmeal arrangement.Those flowers just scream summer!

August 19, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Thanks Jessie! You can thank my Mom for those 🙂 Fortunate to have a house full of beautiful summer flowers!

softserveandsquats
    August 19, 2013 at 1:12 pm

That baked oatmeal recipe looks so good! I think I’m going to try that for breakfast tomorrow 🙂

August 19, 2013 at 5:56 pm

You should!!! It was so easy and a fabulous treat while these fruit are in season 🙂

August 19, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Sounds like a fabulous weekend!! Next weekend come on down to Connecticut and let’s hang out 🙂

I’m so proud of you for working on your foot strike. I had to change to forefoot strike back when I first started running, and it was really hard, but helped my shin splints immensely. You can do it!

August 19, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Awww thanks girl! I have been plagued with shin splints in the past so maybe that should have been a sign to change my stride…I guess it’s never too late right?

Amy and I talked about how much we love you over dinner on Saturday. How about you come to Toronto so we can all hang out!

Tara
    August 19, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Hey girl! It looks like you had a great weekend! I neeeeeeeed to get a massage! Like now! Love those fresh berries too!!! Awesome. Happy #MiMM! xo Tara

August 19, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Tara!!! It looked like you had an awesome weekend chillin with Jillian 😉 Seirously though the Canfitpro expo looked awesome. If that damn massage hadn’t been in the middle of the day on Saturday I would have been there! Happy MiMM to you too!

gschroer
    August 19, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Ahhh…. massages… I have one scheduled for next Monday and can’t wait! I wasn’t in the mood to cook much last week either and ate a lot of smoothies. They are definitely one of my go-to meals lately. The pistachio looks and sounds yummy!

August 19, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Smoothies are so key especially in my lazy phases. You should definitely give the pistachio a try. I think I need to make more pistachio butter tonight.

kellyrunsforfood.com
    August 19, 2013 at 1:52 pm

That looks like so much fun! I love my co-workers too, makes going to work soooo much better!!

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake
    August 19, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I love eating out! Looks like some yummy food!

August 19, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Can’t so no to sushi…or greek…or mexican food! Eating out overload here but I may just keep riding this phase for a while…

Alex@Veggin Out
    August 19, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I’m so glad to hear you’ve been able to do some running! With determination, you really can do anything. 🙂 You go girl!
    And I love eating out too. Homemade food is great, but sometimes restaurants do make things better! 🙂

Reba Cox
    August 19, 2013 at 3:24 pm

That baked oatmeal looks amazing… I need those little le cruset dishes asap 🙂

Also I know what you mean about sport massages, they hurt so good! You need a foam roller to massage your IT band out daily and it will be much more relaxing when you go in for a massage.

August 19, 2013 at 6:04 pm

So cute right? I waited for it to go on sale at homegoods! They seriously hurt so good. I have a foam roller but haven’t been so great at rolling lately. Must get back on that bandwagon!

Shashi Charles
    August 19, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I love baked oatmeal and yours looks GREAT!
    I would loose control round strawberries like those!
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com

August 19, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Can’t even explain to you how many strawberries I have eaten in the last 24 hours. I think I might turn red…

Liz @ Fitness Blondie
    August 19, 2013 at 4:02 pm

You and your fab food pics, I swear girl 😉

And duh, of course I will come cook for you. We will keep each other on track 😉

I can’t reply to your comments, you’re a no reply blogger. Do you know how to change it? Send me your email and I will help you if you need it. xoxoxox

August 19, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Ah I had no idea!!! Sending you an email now. Thanks so much Liz! Let’s definitely keep each other on track 🙂

Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen
    August 19, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Lol to a PR in eating. I definitely go through phases where I don’t feel like cooking. Actually, as much as I like eating healthy, homemade foods, I prefer cooking in bulk once a week, instead of cooking daily. I like to stay out of the kitchen. All of your food out looks delicious! Going out to dinner is always fun!

August 19, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Can’t complain about a professional cooking for me. Totally down with the cooking in bulk too…To find the motivation to actually do it is a whole other story!

Sarah Cook
    August 19, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I’m not sure if I’m a forefoot runner or not- I’ll have to pay attention next time.
    I missed your oatmeal pic on Instagram but I saw your comment on mine that you made some too. Great minds think alike!! 😉 Baked oatmeal is so good.

I need more yoga in my life but I’m hesitant to spend the money so I’m excited to read how you do yoga at home!

August 19, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Great minds definitely think alike! Yoga at home post should be up tomorrow 🙂 Congrats again on the race!

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    August 19, 2013 at 5:10 pm

i LOVE LOVE LOVE oatmeal! i make overnight oats in a jar which is so easy to make, takes no time, so healthy and yummy.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

August 19, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Oats in a jar are the greatest invention of all time. I sometimes have a hard time falling asleep knowing I have to wait till morning to eat them!

Kalee
    August 19, 2013 at 7:16 pm

It looks like you had a great weekend!! 🙂 It’s awesome that you love who you work with!

Now you’ve made me want a massage…even a painful sports one! lol!!

August 19, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Makes all the difference when you have great coworkers! Go treat yourself girl! Everyone deserves to be pampered every now and then 😉

Dixya
    August 19, 2013 at 7:44 pm

seems like you had a wonderful weekend. I am drooling at your eats 🙂 Have a great Monday dear

August 19, 2013 at 8:24 pm

You too lady! Such good eats but man am I needing a cleanse…might just indulge for a little bit longer 🙂

Maria@TheBrooklynFig
    August 19, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Ahh every year when I’m reminded of strawberry picking its passed the season! Did you just go? Maybe there is still hope haha

August 19, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Apparently there are two seasons for strawberries! Some grow in june (summer strawberries) and a second season for fall strawberries is just gearing up now so you’ve got plenty of time 🙂

Beth Sheridan
    August 19, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I can’t believe that shrimp bowl was awful…It looks wonderful!!!

August 19, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Such a disappointment! Thankfully I had a questbar on hand so I wasn’t completely famished!

kelsnsher
    August 19, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Changing your running stride isn’t easy by any means, but totally worth it once it becomes second nature so good luck!

August 19, 2013 at 8:25 pm

So much more challenging than I expected. Baby steps though right? Hopefully it will become second nature. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

Laura @ Mommy run fast
    August 19, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Ooh, so many yummy out-to-eat choices! I definitely go through kitchen dry spells too. Your baked oatmeal looks awesome- I was just saying we need to make some again! Hope things pick back up soon with the running, that’s always frustrating!

August 20, 2013 at 12:10 am

Weather is cooling off so more baked oatmeal will likely be happening…it may also be the only thing I cook for a while! Inspiration where art thou???

Brittany
    August 20, 2013 at 12:27 am

Ohhh man I used to get weekly massages after I hurt my back at my last job, and they were AMAZING!! I need to get one soon!! Sometimes eating out for every meal is just necessary! HA! Enjoy !

August 20, 2013 at 2:03 am

So necessary!!!! I ain’t complaining if a professional wants to cook for me…even if I have to pay for it 😉

I think weekly massages should be mandatory for everyone!

Kierston @candyfit
    August 20, 2013 at 12:29 am

Healthy Pistachio Ice Cream looks awesome..as does your Oatmeal Bake!

Hoping your calves start cooperating! Take good care 🙂

August 20, 2013 at 2:02 am

Thanks Kierston! The pistachio smoothie may have even topped the ice cream. So yummy 🙂 Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

August 20, 2013 at 12:53 am

That pistachio ice cream… heck, all your eats look amazing! Thank you so much for the blog redesign suggestion, I will definitely look into it!

August 20, 2013 at 2:04 am

Awww thanks Arman! Let me know if you end up using her 🙂 Hope you had a wonderful day 🙂

Tara
    August 20, 2013 at 1:59 am

Is it weird that I never had a professional massage done before? I feel like I’m totally missing out. I haven’t been much in the cooking mood lately, but my wallet and waistline has suffered so I made myself get fresh produce and now I have a bunch of great ideas. 🙂

Happy Monday!

August 20, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Go get one now! Everyone deserves to be pampered now and then.

You’re so right, I can’t keep up this eating out forever or my budget and body will definitely suffer. Hoping my inspiration comes back soon!

workoutjunkies
    August 20, 2013 at 3:35 am

I dread Yoga, but always feel so much better afterwards!

August 20, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I actually look forward to yoga but agree that I feel better afterwards…I struggle wit shevasana though cause my mind is always going a mile a minute!

Molly
    August 20, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I can only imagine all the opportunities you had to practise Yoga when you lived in NYC. Central Park really makes fitness fun.I hate it when meals disappoint – especially seafood. That oatmeal fruit bake looks super tasty – can’t wait to try it for myself!

Run like a G!
    August 21, 2013 at 12:18 pm

This was a fun post!!! 🙂

careers at home university review