Live

Dear Body…

September 25, 2013

I’m sorry for ever comparing you to anyone else. What someone else looks like or is capable of has nothing to do with you.

{source}

I’m sorry for the years I spent filling you with low-calorie junk. Never again will Diet-Coke replace water.

I’m sorry for not cutting you enough slack. You can eat that cookie or take a rest day without feeling guilty.

I’m sorry for the hours I wasted staring in the mirror criticizing you for what I didn’t like. I am my harshest critic.

I’m sorry for thinking there is anything more important than sleep. It’s not that hard for me to put my phone or computer away and get some much needed shut-eye.

I’m sorry for not listening to you when you were telling me that running hurts you. I’m especially sorry for testing this again and again.

I’m sorry for not smiling enough. You have a rich life that should make you smile everyday.

I’m sorry for ever thinking you were invincible.

Most of all. Dear Body…Thank you. For putting up with me when I don’t listen, for allowing me to hug the people I love, for carrying me to interesting places and for one day (hopefully!) carrying something very special.

*And thank YOU for all your sweet comments on Monday’s post. I’m trying to take this obstacle as a life lesson and milk it for all its worth. Without your support I don’t know that I would have come to these revelations. From now on I intend to take care of my body, for it is the most important thing I have.

Finish this sentence: Dear Body…

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    September 25, 2013 at 8:16 am

I should most definitely be sleeping right now (thank you body for letting me know that) but I just had to comment on this right as it appeared in my reader. I absolutely love this post, and it is always great to remember to thank and respect our bodies, we only get on of them. Eat a cookie, take a rest day, smile at the mirror. 🙂

September 25, 2013 at 9:47 am

Beautiful post, Davida. Sometimes we all take our bodies for granted and its not until we suffer a setback that the reality of our fortune is tested.

Thank you for continuing to be an inspiration. (You will be more inspirational when you get on the HP bandwagon). kidding..sorta.

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    September 25, 2013 at 10:27 am

Love this post! It is so important to take a step back and realize how amazing our bodies truly are and what they have to put up with. Dear body, thank you for keeping me healthy, allowing me to do everything that I’m able to do and helping me create 3 very special little people……

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    September 25, 2013 at 10:55 am

love this!! we all need to take your advice, that’s for sure. our bodies are our temples; the only one we have and we should love it 🙂

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

Madison
    September 25, 2013 at 11:12 am

Davida, You are truly on to something here. I feel like I can be so mean to my body and not give it a break. Thank you for inspiring each of us to take a look at the way we treat our bodies. You are truly a warrior, Davida!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    September 25, 2013 at 11:21 am

This is such a great post, Davida! I love your blog 🙂 I don’t know WHY I’m so mean to my body (when I would never dream of being so mean to someone else!) Thanks for the reminder to cut myself some slack!

September 26, 2013 at 8:35 pm

and I LOVE your blog! We all need to cut our bodies some slack…which is why I’m eating a chocolate chip cookie currently and loving every bite!

cityandthecubicle.com
    September 25, 2013 at 11:50 am

love, love, love this post! for years i have hated my body and it’s pretty unfair of me.

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    September 25, 2013 at 12:24 pm

This might sound a little twisted, but I think that in order to LOVE ourselves and really appreciate how good we actually have it, we have to go through a period where we hate ourselves first. It’s painful, but it’s necessary for healing.

BTW – THE NAAPALI COAST. How amazing, right? Lets go back/run away together!!! Wait, that is the Naapali coast right?!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    September 25, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Aw I love this! I tend to run myself into the ground and I’ve been trying lately to really listen to the signals my body is giving me. It makes a huge difference and I need to always remember to treat myself well! Good for you for having such a great perspective.

September 26, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Try not to run yourself too ragged but everyone’s journey is their own and what works for me may not work for you. Listen to your body’s cues 🙂

Joanne
    September 25, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Beautiful and so needed today!! Such an inspiration!

nicole @ fruitnfitness
    September 25, 2013 at 12:32 pm

What a beautiful post. As much as I would like to say i’m not judgmental of my own body, i am. It’s sad that we are so harsh on ourselves when we would never be to someone else. I think that’s a hard thing to stop. Also, I know it’s not what your post is about but i’m in love with my bentley look-a-like sleeping with you!

September 26, 2013 at 8:37 pm

It’s my bestie’s! Such a cutie. Wish I could cuddle with him everyday. Kudos for your honesty friend 🙂

Suzanne Poldon
    September 25, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Wow. Just wow. This post is amazing, Davida!

Dear body,

Thank you for putting up with all the crap I put you through the past few years. Thank you for not giving up and making me realize that I am worth more that how I appear. Thank you for telling me what I need. I hope you’ll forgive me so we can have an awesome life together 🙂

September 26, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I love this Suzanne. You should write that out and frame it. I’m thinking of writing out this post as a daily reminder to love and respect my body!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    September 25, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Lovely! You ARE beautiful and strong. This post proves that! Thank you for being so honest here. I loved this and it may surprise you but reading things like this help me to think about myself in a more positive light as well because I realize that I’m not the only one who has those thoughts sometimes.

September 26, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Thanks Ang!!! and YOU are so beautiful and strong! I get so much of my strength from this amazing community with people like you. You are definitely not alone <3

September 25, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Beautiful post, Davida <3 Ahh the amount of crap I've put me body through over the years... yet it still puts up one heck of a fight and never let's me down. Our bodies are truly amazing things... Thank you for the reminder to appreciate all that it does for me 🙂

September 26, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Amanda you have such an amazing perspective on how to love and respect your body. I draw so much inspiration from you. Thanks for the support love!

Kim @ BusyBod
    September 25, 2013 at 1:06 pm

This is so beautiful. I’ve been working hard to take this same approach to how I treat my own body, and seeing it in print had such an impact on me. Your body is you, and it’s the only one you get! It deserves to be treated with kindness and gratitude. Love love love. Also, on a lighter note, I love that picture of you sleeping in the beach chair <3

September 26, 2013 at 8:42 pm

hehe thanks. Can’t say I was aware it was happening but it came in handy for this post. We can be way too hard on ourselves. I was nervous putting this out there but hearing from so many people who feel the same way gives me so much strength!

September 25, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Ah I love this and love you (duh). I really just can’t wait to meet you because I think we’re going to be best friends immediately. Also, you are getting some GOOD sleep in that picture, hahaha.

September 26, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Aren’t we already besties? Love you! Move here please so I can have someone to eat french fries with and not feel bad about it 🙂

softserveandsquats.com
    September 25, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Awesome post girl! The comparison trap is such an easy thing to fall into and I can always use this reminder from time to time 🙂

September 25, 2013 at 2:08 pm

This is amazing! I spent way too long fighting my body and putting it through crap, and I just want to kick myself for doing that. We’re way too hard on ourselves! Thanks for the reminder to just appreciate what we have. 🙂

September 27, 2013 at 6:31 pm

When I think about it I feel horrible because I would never treat someone else that way, so why would I do it to myself???

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    September 25, 2013 at 2:12 pm

This is one of my favorite blog posts! Comparing, not smiling enough, low-calorie crap, not cutting enough slack … I relate to all of it. Mine would be “Dear Body, I’ve fed you too much, I’ve fed you too little, I’ve exercised you too much, I’ve exercised you too little, I’ve done everything wrong, I’ve done everything “right” … and then I’ve redefined “right” a million times. And you’ve stuck around through all of it! Thank you for giving me little warnings when I wasn’t making you happy. I’m sure that I’ll make many more mistakes over the next 60 years, but I promise I’ll try to get it right and appreciate you more … so please stick it out with me!”

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee
    September 25, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Amazing. You’re truly amazing. Just beautiful. Wow I can’t even write complete sentences because I am so in awe.
    Dear body, I’m sorry for hating you. Forgive me because I love you now?

September 26, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Love you girl! I’m so happy I have someone like you to talk about these things with!

Sarah @pickyrunner
    September 25, 2013 at 2:24 pm

This is so well-written and such an important topic. It’s hard not to beat ourselves up. I love this!

September 25, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I love this post – all the simple things we take for granted that our body will do for us and yet we aren’t always very nice to it! I think that for me, age has really helped me appreciate my body like I never did when I was younger. I would say Dear body, thank you for putting up with the young version of me and thank you for keeping up with the current version!

September 27, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I hope that when I am your age I have as healthy a relationship with my body as you do with yours!

Sarah Cook
    September 25, 2013 at 2:50 pm

This was so touching and beautiful! I think we can all relate to criticizing ourselves. It seems like you are in a very positive place. You are so honest and genuine with your writing and it makes me feel like I know you so well. You’re an amazing girl! 🙂

September 27, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Sarah! Thank you so much! And I feel like I know you! Can’t wait till I move to SF and we become besties 🙂

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    September 25, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Lovely post. That’s one thing I have struggled with too. I lost a significant amount of weight over 2 years ago and needed to gain some of it back to fix health problems. It was definitely hard adjusting my new weight – while much healthier. Only now am I becoming a lot more forgiving to and accepting of myself!

eatgreatbegreat
    September 25, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Terrific post! We definitely are our harshest critics – there’s no doubt about that!

Dear body…you are beautiful!

Christine@ Apple of My Eye
    September 25, 2013 at 3:16 pm

You are absolutely gorgeous girlie <3. I LOVE this post and your honesty. I think we all struggle to some degree over our body image and treating ourselves with the love and respect we deserve, so it's so touching to hear you acknowledge it and make a change!

September 27, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Christine you are so sweet! thank you so much! Wasn’t easy to acknowledge but I feel so relieved moving forward!

Jessica @ FromtheKitchentotheRoad
    September 25, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Great post! I need to not be so hard on what the scale says. I eat healthy and exercise regularly so I should appreciate what my body is instead of what it is not.

September 27, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Banish the scale girl! I have a ways to go in terms of being comfortable but getting rid of the scale was a huge progress step for me!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers
    September 25, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Great post! The good news is, even after all that your body is still with you. 🙂 Buddies.

Alisha @ Alishas Appetite
    September 25, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Omg you are seriously beautiful. So glad to see you’re giving your body the love and affection it deserves 🙂

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    September 25, 2013 at 5:25 pm

What a great post! I think this is something we should all say to our bodies. They do so much for us! I love all your photos! 🙂

Amy @ TheDeviatedRunner
    September 25, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Aww, wow I love this post! And I loved all the pictures- looks like you have many things in life to enjoy and be thankful for. Our bodies do a lot for us, we should show it a little appreciation every now and then! Which reminds me, I need a nap! haha

September 25, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Beautiful post lady! I definitely get where you’re coming from – my body has put up with so much from me over the years. But every time, it shows me how resilient it is and bounces back. I’ve learned the hard way that I need to give it the love and respect it deserves!

September 27, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Exactly. I’m glad I’m learning this lesson now and not years down the road!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    September 25, 2013 at 7:15 pm

What an awesome, inspiring post! I can definitely identify myself with it. I also have run until the point where I’ve pulled a few muscles and now I’m trying to “behave” better and listen to my body… It’s not easy, but I hope I can success.
    I’ve just read your Monday post too and now I’m sending you big hugs, I really hope you recover quickly and are able to enjoy sports soon!
    Loved the post, you’re such an awesome writer! x

September 27, 2013 at 6:59 pm

You have no idea what a compliment that is! Lots of hugs and love to you too lady <3

Archana@FeedingTheFoodie
    September 25, 2013 at 7:29 pm

what a lovely post ! Having had my own health ups and downs and conquered some of them – I agree we ought to work with our bodies to be our best !!!

Dear Body – I will tune in and listen to you more!

Mary Frances McNellis
    September 25, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Its so true, how often do we cut ourselves slack? Kudos to you for listening, even if its hard. I guess I would finish that sentace with “don’t let the world define your worth, because they don’t know the person inside.”

Miss Polkadot
    September 26, 2013 at 12:29 am

Such an amazing and inspiring post, Davida! I’m with you on saying sorry to my body for many of the same things. It’s easy to pretend all was well until we can’t take it any longer physically. You can be proud of how far you’ve come and how you’re handling the current situation. I think I need to take a leaf from your book here. It wasn’t until experiencing more than one long-term injury that I truly started to look after myself better. Thanks for the reminder!

September 27, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Thank you so much lovely! I think there truly is a blessing in disguise in every injury. I hope to look back on this time as a period of growth and not one of anger and pain.

jessiebearwhatwillyou
    September 26, 2013 at 2:07 am

Damn. This is powerful.

James
    September 26, 2013 at 2:46 am

Deep stuff. And, I needed it. I’m a complete perfectionist and am harder on myself than anyone else and just want to smack myself sometimes for being that way ha. I definitely could take a step back and give my body a break every once in a while (she says as she packs her bag for a 6 AM run…)

September 27, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Maybe it’s a perfectionism thing? I am such a perfectionist! I have a hard time letting go of anything so I just wear myself out. Not good!

Paige Podbelsek
    September 26, 2013 at 3:45 am

This is fantastic! Think about how much more positive our world would be and how much better womens’ self images would be if we all treated ourselves this way. Great job.

Khushboo
    September 26, 2013 at 4:38 am

Hopefuly this comment goes through- all mine recently keep going to spam or the internet is just eating ’em up! I love this post and it’s exactly what I would tell my body too. Healthy living is a learning process & over the years, I’ve learned that my body thrives on TLC- taking care of it whether that means eating antioxidant-rich foods, enhancing my blood flow through exercise or sometimes skipping my workouts to allow my body to rest and recover :)!

September 27, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Oh noooo! Glad it went through. You have the best attitude. Working on getting to your level 🙂

cquek
    September 26, 2013 at 7:13 am

good quote ! thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures you look great and fit. the key to happiness – healthy living.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    September 26, 2013 at 11:01 am

Love this! And I’m SO with you on the sleep! It took me a lonnnnnnng time to understand the importance of a good night’s (or in MY case DAY’s sleep). I saw this quote a few months ago and it really stuck with me: “The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes to everyone else’s highlight reel.” I have to keep that in mind whenever I catch myself with those kind of thoughts…because you never know the whole story of someone else’s life!

Dear Body, I’m sorry I used to think you weren’t good enough…that your flaws made you unworthy of my love. Thank you for forgiving me…for taking me back…and for showing me that just because I’m not perfect, doesn’t mean I can’t be happy. Oh and that extra weight you’ve put on? I know I berated you in the beginning, but I take it all back…because I realized the other day that my ass look slammin’ in my yoga pants! 😉

September 27, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Heather that quote is incredible. I am writing it out and putting it above my desk. I need that as my daily reminder. Getting caught up in the comparison trap is so easy but so toxic.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful words with me and damn does that ass look good!

Shawn @ Fruity N Nutty
    September 26, 2013 at 11:48 am

Such a lovely post Davida. It reminded me that I’ve got tons of things to thank it for. Event though I don’t have the body of a fitness model, my body is still capable of things I never thought possible!

September 27, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Exactly! I am trying to focus on what my body can do rather than what it is not!

Tina @ Tinas Chic Corner
    September 26, 2013 at 1:33 pm

You are a very brave woman for sharing this with us! I too have had body issues forever (as I suppose most women do). Thank you for reminding me that I must treat my body with respect and love.

September 27, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I always expected myself to grow out of it but I’m starting to realize I just have to make a choice to treat my body well and not be so hard on myself!

taylorbee
    September 26, 2013 at 1:51 pm

what a wonderful post, Davida! I love the idea of writing a letter to our body. I think I’ll do it as well — whether I’ll share it or not, I’m not sure yet! thanks for sharing yours.

September 27, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I think everyone could benefit from writing their body a letter! Thanks Taylor 🙂

veganmiam.com
    September 26, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Thank you for sharing this honest post, I truly love it and your honesty cheers me up. I have been thinking about the same things lately, especially my Body, and thank you for the reminder: we should listen to our Body more. It’s the most important thing right now. Btw gorgeous collage of photos – You’re Beautiful, Inside and OUT. Don’t EVER doubt that for a second.

Run like a G!
    September 26, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Davida – I LOVE this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eating4balance
    September 26, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I feel like I am always in constant war with my body (emotions, stomach, acne, etc.) but no matter what I have to remind myself that my body is still alive… It is still pumping my brain and letting me live every day. So I shouldn’t really have any complaints 😀

I don’t cut my body any slack either. It’s just hard not to want perfection.

Lovely post Davida.

September 27, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Oh the woes of being a perfectionist! It’s time for me to let go of the reigns a bit because clearly I’m not doing myself any favours!

Kierston @candyfit
    September 26, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Beautiful post my friend xo

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    September 27, 2013 at 2:50 am

So beautiful and touching, Davida! I have a lot to be grateful for when it comes to my body, because I’ve done some pretty horrific things to it. I’m really lucky to be alive (I almost needed a liver transplant last year and I was anorexic in my early 20s and spent a year and half in and out of treatment centers).

Dear Body,
    Just thank you.

September 27, 2013 at 7:00 pm

and I am SO happy you are alive. Thank you for sharing your story (here and also on your blog). You are a beautiful person!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    September 27, 2013 at 2:01 pm

This post is beautiful and I think I may copy and paste it into a word document, print it, and hang it on my wall (wait, is that creepy?) because I need to remember ALL OF THESE THINGS every day. Remember, I’m right there with you on the pain. Best of luck to you and remember that resting can be just as beneficial (if not better!) than working out. Also when I am in pain I try to tell myself that so many people have it worse off than I do, and that usually makes me feel better.

September 27, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Erin, THANK YOU!!! Feel free to print it out, I think I may do the same. It gives me comfort knowing you understand. So much love for you girl!

Sarah Pie
    September 27, 2013 at 8:45 pm

This is an incredible post and could not have come at a better time for me! Thank you for taking the time to let go of the negative that so many of us seem to have on repeat, and to put some good out there. Your words are important and while they seem simple they are words that many of us do not hear (or pause to reflect upon) enough so thank you for putting them out there.

September 27, 2013 at 11:43 pm

What a great post!! Such wise words Davida!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
    September 30, 2013 at 4:26 am

Love your thought-proviking posts, Davida. Thanks for the reminder of loving the body too 🙂

oxy med shampoo
    October 24, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Hey there I am so thrilled I found your
    blog page, I really found you by accident, while
    I was researching on Google for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a tremendous
    post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to read it all at the
    moment but I have book-marked it and also added
    in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more,
    Please do keep up the superb b.
    oxy med shampoo recently posted…oxy med shampoo