Uncategorized

{MIMM} Weekend Recap 09/27-09/29

September 30, 2013

Sorry I’ve been MIA lately! I took a little blogging break and it felt seriously good. As much as I love my own blog, I equally love reading all of yours! I fell way behind on what my fellow bloggers have been up to lately so rather than posting a new recipe I opted to catch up on all of yours. I also managed to make a few of the recipes I’ve pinned. Feeling refreshed and ready to take on this marvelous Monday. Here’s what I got up to (and didn’t get up to) this weekend:

Food bloggers doing what they do best! Chelsea and Amy were so sweet to organize a blogger meet-up at Grasslands, a vegan restaurant in downtown Toronto. Also in attendance were Sam, Sarah, Christine, Gabby and Suzanne. All of these ladies were absolutely wonderful! Chelsea wrote an awesome recap of the night so be sure to check it out. Hopefully many more of these to come.

Birthday celebrations for my bestie! The only person I’d want to do a McD’s tour of Europe with 😉 Also please look at that cake. Victoria baked a gluten-free chocolate cake with peanut-butter cookie dough icing. UNREAL!

To say I was unproductive on Saturday would be an understatement. Here’s how my day looked: Woke up at 11:00, ate breakfast, got back in bed and slept for another 3 hours, ate lunch, got back in bed until dinner and then promptly fell asleep for 12.5 hours at 9:30 PM. I think I may have been tired…Somewhere in there I did manage to bake Fitness CrEATures Banana Bread Muffins. These are incredible and paired perfectly with my Gingered Butternut Squash Soup (recipe coming soon).
After falling into a coma for the night I woke up itching to get things done. Making waffles is productive right? I made a batch of my Vegan & Gluten-Free Coconut Waffles topped with raspberries, bananas and my almond cashew coconut butter.
I haven’t updated you on my injury status since I have that planned for another post, but things are definitely on the mend. I’m not running and likely won’t be for another year or so. I’ve been focusing on my physio exercises but wanted to test my body to see how it would hold up with a bike ride. My Dad came along for the ride and we rode around Toronto for about 1.5 hours. My leg was pretty good until the end when it started acting up. Hoping I didn’t do too much damage. It was still wonderful to spend some quality time with my Dad though 🙂
No this isn’t deja vu, I food prepped the exact same food as last week. I tripled Arman’s Curried Tuna Patties since they are delicious, Emily’s Miso Sweet Potatoes, BBQed chicken, roasted delicata squash (sorry kabocha, I cheated on you) and steel cut oats cooked in Teavana’s Toasted Nut Brûlée.
Feeling perfectly content after this weekend. Quality time with friends and family, preparations for the week and LOTS of sleep were exactly what the doctor ordered. Be sure to check out Healthy Diva Eats for what’s making everyone else’s Mondays marvelous.

Favourite recipe you’ve tried lately? Do you ever go bike riding?

labelsarefortincans
    September 29, 2013 at 11:38 pm

You know I love bike riding! I haven’t been on a bike ride since this past Monday – which is a long time compared to the summer 😛

Sounds like you got just what you needed this weekend! Lots of rest 🙂 Hope you have a great week!

September 30, 2013 at 12:59 am

Wow – your Saturday looks incredible – hope you are rested and have a super week!
    I rarely ever bike ride – not sure why – glad you had a good ride!!

gschroer
    September 30, 2013 at 1:00 am

Yay for taking a blogging break! I think it’s so healthy to do so every once in awhile 🙂 I haven’t been on a bike ride in ages since I don’t have a bike! We always talk about buying our family bikes at Christmas but then just never do. Maybe this year…

jessiebearwhatwillyou
    September 30, 2013 at 1:16 am

Your food prep always looks amazing!!

Becky @ Olives n Wine
    September 30, 2013 at 1:17 am

What a fun weekend! And those Saturdays – the ones where you sleep the day away – are needed from time to time 🙂 I love blogger meet-ups, especially when they involve food and fun blogger friends!

Nikki@willrunforpizza
    September 30, 2013 at 1:48 am

I was JUST wondering today about you and your coming along with your injury. SO sorry to hear it’ll be a while to run again, but glad to hear you were ok for a bike ride! It’s better than nothing! I want us to get bikes again because I LOVE bike riding too.
    Sometimes those “coma” days are just what we need to get refreshed! And I want that gluten free cake recipe WITH the frosting! OMG YUM!!!

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    September 30, 2013 at 2:36 am

Meeting up with the other bloggers & the bike ride sound great!! OMG, that waffle & birthday cake look amazing!!! All of that sleeping you did sounds marvelous… I really need some of that!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    September 30, 2013 at 3:24 am

That sounds like a great weekend! Catching up on sleep is important, so don’t worry about that. And even though you can’t run, at least you’re able to do other exercises! I’m hoping to make it to the doctor this week. Also that waffle…..feed me!!

Sarah Cook
    September 30, 2013 at 4:20 am

I hate that we don’t have all the time in the world to blog. Then we could read everyone’s blog and still have time for our own…sigh. I feel your pain.

That cakes sounds unbelievable! Please send me a piece. Or, better yet, make it for your blog. 🙂

That soup looks amazing too, can’t wait for the recipe! I made a similar one last weekend but it was butternut & apple without ginger. I’ll have to try your version.

Glad you were able to catch up on some sleep and quality time this weekend. I hope your leg continues to get better.

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    September 30, 2013 at 4:27 am

I’m really glad you got to sleep … your body was obviously craving it!! We all need days like that sometimes. And … chocolate cake with peanut butter cookie dough ice cream?!? I’m pretty sure I didn’t read anything else in the post because I was still thinking about that … ;).

September 30, 2013 at 7:41 pm

hahahaha I’m pretty sure I had a hard time focusing on the party thanks to the cake!

Khushboo
    September 30, 2013 at 4:30 am

Miso sweet potatoes sound awesome- definitely going to be checking out that recipe! Believe it or not, I still don’t know how to ride a bike- it was one of those things I just never learned as a kid! It’s been on my bucket list for so long so hopefully I can tick it off soon ;)! However do stationary bikes count? If so, I last “rode” one on Friday!

September 30, 2013 at 4:35 am

I still remember the very first time I came across your blog and it was a post about exercising with your dad- so glad to see you guys spending quality time together in the outdoors! A Mcdonalds tour of europe?! Really? That would be quite the adventure! Glad your liking the tuna patties- on the menu for dinner tonight 😉

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    September 30, 2013 at 9:53 am

Glad to hear your leg is on the mend, sounds like a great bike ride with your dad 🙂

Well done on all that food prep. I think I need to take a little break from blogging soon too just to revive and refresh 🙂

Happy MIMM!

strawberriesandrunning
    September 30, 2013 at 10:38 am

Oh man my dad is ALL about the biking…after he lost a bunch weight he started biking again, and in the past couple of years has rediscovered his love for the sport. He goes all over michigan competiting in cyclocross and mountain bike races, and has probably spent more than $10,000 on bikes. hahah. One day I told him that my bike was getting kinda old, and then I came home later that day and he had bought me a brand new road bike and mountain bike! It was hilarious!

Him and I go on trails together all the time! Last spring break we made a trip down to Georgia to go mountain biking 🙂

I’ve actually heard of that restaurant Grasslands before!!! Next time I’m in Toronto I got to go 🙂

Have a great day 🙂

September 30, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Awesome story! My Dad was super into biking 20 years ago and this may have been the 2 or 3 time he’s been on a bike since then. Sounds like if you ever want to run a triathlon you are totally prepared! Next time you’re in Toronto let’s go for a bike ride 🙂

strawberriesandrunning
      October 1, 2013 at 2:36 am

Heck ya girl!

September 30, 2013 at 10:54 am

It was so so awesome to hang out with you on Friday – I can’t wait until next time!

The rest of your weekend sounds awesome. I love lazy days involving nothing but PJs and baking/cooking. 😉

I love that you went biking with your dad! I go bike riding a lot in the summer because it’s one of the only forms of cardio I enjoy other than running. It sometimes bothers my legs too though, unfortunately.

September 30, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Hurt a bit near the end but most of the ride felt good. Much better than running. So awesome to meet you! Really looking forward to the next one!

softserveandsquats.com
    September 30, 2013 at 11:03 am

Can’t wait to see your gingered butternut squash recipe! It looks incredible. Low key weekends are truly the greatest! Hope you have a wonderful week 🙂

Liz @ iheartvegetables
    September 30, 2013 at 11:13 am

I love blogger meet ups! I organize them all the time in Virginia 🙂 It’s just so fun meeting the people behind the blog! And Saturdays are totally for relaxing 🙂

gottaeatgreen.com
    September 30, 2013 at 11:21 am

Dinner was so much fun with you girls! We have to do it again soon. Looks like you had a great weekend.. glad your friends birthday party was fun!!

Madison
    September 30, 2013 at 11:21 am

Looks like an awesome weekend- You NEEDED sleep and rest/recovery. It’s good you listened to your body!

Mary
    September 30, 2013 at 11:26 am

That cake sounds amazing!
    Days of eating and sleeping are sometimes required, and I always become so much more productive the day after! My Saturday was made up of a lazy Dexter season-catchup from bed with breaks for food! I was much more productive on Sunday!

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    September 30, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I wanna come to Toronto! I’ve never been out east.. except for a 4 day work trip to Mont Tremblant.

Girlfriend, you need to try ART. I think it should be mandatory for runners. I’ve had such amazing success with it and the majority of their patients are athletes/runners!

Love bike riding – I have a mountain & a fun little vintage cruiser that Court restored for me. Excpet it’s been too chilly/windy to ride lately. 🙁

September 30, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I’m gonna look into to ART! Now you begin your planning for your trip to Toronto!

eating4balance
    September 30, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I love reading about blogger meet-ups. You got to hang with some fantastic girls! I hope in the next year or so I can get together with some local bloggers 🙂

Peanut butter cookie dough ice cream? Gluten-free chocolate cake? Your friend sounds amazing!!

Happy Monday Davida!

September 30, 2013 at 7:45 pm

She IS amazing! I don’t know how I got so lucky! Happy Monday to you too lovely 🙂

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers
    September 30, 2013 at 12:31 pm

It sounds like a fabulous weekend! I soooooo want some chocolate cake with peanut-butter cookie dough ice cream. Major yum!

veganmiam.com
    September 30, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Glad you’re back on track, I was wondering where you were – that place Grasslands looks awesome! I really want to check it out one day! These Vegan & GF Coconut Waffles look so good – I wish you can deliver these to me in Buenos Aires! There aren’t a lot of kitchen appliances and tools I can use to make these magical waffles of yours! I’m glad you spent quality time with Dad and I hope the injury passes, good luck with the exercises and stay strong!

I made a Tuscan white bean stew again from my recipes – it’s so good and hearty, ended up using dried sage and less beans. The canned white beans in Buenos Aires don’t have liquid (so I had to add a bit of olive oil & water).

To be honest, I haven’t gone bike riding since Denmark in 2009. I remembered renting a heavy bike (it was heavy for me and chunky!) and climbing the hills with my boyfriend to go to a post office, about 5 miles away from our apartment. It was crazy. I fainted. I was too tired to go back! But it was so cool to see the countryside and waters of Denmark during the bike ride.

September 30, 2013 at 7:56 pm

My parents just got back from a trip to Copenhagen and told me it was actually scary riding bikes because everyone is so aggressive!

That stew is amazing. Must re-make it and make even more so I have some to freeze. My family polished it off last time and I didn’t get any leftovers 🙁

I think we can all agree your next stop must be Toronto and then I will feed you all the Vegan waffles you want!

Shawn @ Fruity N Nutty
    September 30, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Blogger meet ups sound so fun. I love reading recaps about them because the chance of a blogger meet up in my area is basically nil. How do you take such lovely food pics? I seriously need help with that and eagerly awaiting your soup recipe. Hope all is well with your physio, Happy Monday Davida!

September 30, 2013 at 7:46 pm

All the more reason to come visit Toronto! Soup recipe should be up by Friday (hopefully!!!)

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    September 30, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I went bike riding this weekend too! Love, love, love going for a ride. Glad that it did not hurt your injury too much. You are officially the sweetest person ever because you always read and comment on everyone’s blog! I totally hear you on needing to take some time off to catch up. Sometimes I feel like I’m on a blog treadmill. But I love it!

September 30, 2013 at 7:48 pm

You are too sweet Britt! I actually think I prefer reading other people’s blogs to writing my own. Especially yours 🙂

Jessie
    September 30, 2013 at 1:13 pm

So jealous of you & the other girls blogger meet up. Everything about your weekend (especially the PB cookie dough icing part) sounds wonderful. I hadn’t known about your injury (or may I had? lol), but I’m so happy to hear you’re on the mend darling <3

September 30, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Getting better. Probably a good thing you didn’t read my sad injury updates. Hope you had a wonderful trip!

Jessie
    September 30, 2013 at 1:13 pm

September 30, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I know what you mean about sometimes just wanting to take a day off from posting and browse other blogs instead. It’s such a great community to be a part of, and reading all the food, fitness, and lifestyle posts can be so inspiring.

PS – SO jealous that you got to meet all those other fabulous ladies!

Dixya
    September 30, 2013 at 1:49 pm

glad to see you back..and I wish I could have a blogger meet up like this too.. Have a wonderful Monday <3

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    September 30, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I’m glad you got to enjoy a little blog break! It also looks like you got to enjoy some good food and fun times with friends! When I was home this summer my parents and I went on the bike every day an it was so much fun!

A Fit Fashionista
    September 30, 2013 at 3:37 pm

So sweet of you to catch up with all of us! I wish there was a bloggy meet up near me! Looks like fun! I wish I rode my bike more. I seem to have my boyfriend put air in the tires when I want to ride, then it sits there again waiting for me to ride it. It has been years.. I should probably try it soon! Have a great week!

September 30, 2013 at 7:53 pm

truth-be-told we got the bikes fixed up months ago and this was the first time we’ve ridden them 😉

kellyrunsforfood.com
    September 30, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Haha your Saturday looked almost exactly like mine! I was a total sloth and trying to recover from a cold. I left yesterday for another work trip so I’m back on the road (thanks Panera for the wifi). I don’t have a bike and haven’t ridden one of a long time, but I wish I did have one!

September 30, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Can you come do food prep for me? I’m seriously so bad for doing it, although I really should get on that bandwagon…usually now I get hungry for lunch, go and open the fridge…and realize that pretty much anything that I want to eat will take like 20-30 minutes to make. First world problems.
    And I need someone close to me to get a bike so that I don’t have to go riding by myself! Bike riding is definitely a lot of fun though.

September 30, 2013 at 7:54 pm

the sad part is that the food mayyyy last me 2-3 days! I need to slow down my metabolism!

Tara
    September 30, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I so feel you on the blogging breaks. Sometimes I feel like it’s a part-time job and it gets exhausting as much as I love it. I’m surprised there isn’t that many blogger meetups here in San Francisco, but Sarah and I are trying to organize one soon! 🙂

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    September 30, 2013 at 6:17 pm

My mom and my sister recently purchased cruiser bikes and enjoy biking around the city, but my Dad, Brother and I are definitely more trail riders. I’m so jealous of the blog get together. Can we do another one sometime soon? I’m currently on a blogging break and I’m okay with it because sometimes I don’t HAVE to share every fun activity I’ve done or sometimes I just don’t have time to post what I do do. That waffle looks amazing as per your usual recipes!

September 30, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I have so many extra waffles in my freezer that you are more than welcome to! Also you MUST be at the next blogger meet-up!

Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen
    September 30, 2013 at 6:37 pm

You’re food prep looks delicious and pretty! My food prep photos never turn out to look very pretty. Sounds like you had an awesome weekend! Happy Marvelous Monday 🙂

Miss Polkadot
    September 30, 2013 at 6:51 pm

When exactly did you say that tour of Europe – obviously including a stop in Germany – was going to happen ;)? I wish I could have joined you for the meet-up.
    Sleeping, spending quality time with family and friends and enjoying good food are the keys to a perfect weekend. I’m glad you had a great bike ride with you dad not evoking too much pain.
    Bike rides happened very often while I was still living at home. In fact, my family even went on bike holidays where we traveled either taking the bikes with us or even doing the whole several-day journey by bike.
    Not even pretending but one of the best recipes I tried lately really was your Cauliflower Gratin. All the childhood memories it brought back … delicious memories.

September 30, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Ahhh we went about 3 years ago! And for the record our favourite stop was Berlin 🙂 I’m thinking a return visit will have to happen!

So happy you love the Cauliflower Gratin. I need to make it again soon!

Lauren @ Sweat The Sweet Stuff
    September 30, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Wow that cake sounds amazing! That’s so cool that you did a blogger meet up! 🙂

Caitlin
    September 30, 2013 at 7:53 pm

that food prep looks beautiful! i can’t wait to see that ginger butternut squash recipe. thanks for the link to chelsea’s recap! some faves at that meetup – i will definitely be reading. i actually bought a bike two years ago and have yet to use it! one day!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    September 30, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I’m so hungry from looking at your recap! YUMs all around!
    I don’t go bike riding much except sometime on the Greenway here which is just bikes, no cars. I’m pretty terrified of riding bike in NYC although my husband is a biking warrior!

Melissa
    September 30, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Sleeping the whole day away and 12.5 hours sounds amazing! I wish I could do that one of these days…maybe when my children are all grown-up, ha!

Your waffles look yummy and I can’t wait to see your soup recipe!

The only recipe that I have tried lately is one that I came up with for Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts, after doing a little research and experimenting. They were so good!

-Melissa @ Fit ‘n’ Well Mommy

Sarah Pie
    September 30, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I love anything with the words “gluten free” and “waffle” in it, and ginger-y butternut squash soup is the best for fall (soo I totally approve of your weekend eats!).

Glad to hear that your bike ride went well for the most part, I’ve probably forgotten how to ride a bike it’s been that long haha!

Suzanne
    September 30, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I loved meeting you Davida! Let’s get together again soon!!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    September 30, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Aw, Davida, those waffles look definitely amazing, and so does that soup! I cannot wait for the recipe 😉 I’m happy to know you had a nice ride with your dad and I wish you all the best so you can get over your injury as soon as possible! x

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    September 30, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Awww! I loved everything about this post…though I have to say I’m a bit jealous of all the sleep you got! #lifeofaninsomniac While I DEFINITELY did not get as much sleep as you did, I did get some relaxation in…and also made no commitments to do anything so that I could just go with the flow. I ended up getting in the kitchen a bit, catching up on blogs (finally!), and even got to spend most of Saturday night with my mom and dad (and my sister came by for a few minutes before work so that was great too!). Glad to hear you got some quality parental time in too! I’d love to go for a bikeride but for some reason, I always get this weird aching in my hip after like 15 minutes…I swear to God, between my knee and my hip, I’m freakin’ falling a part! I need to look into extending my warranty! 😉

Peanut butter cookie dough icing?!! I’m typically all about the cake and couldn’t care less for what’s on top, but holy SMOKES!

And seriously? You are like the FOURTH person to tease me with delicata! I’ve never had it before and can’t seem to find it around here! Eh, at least I have my kabocha…”my preccccccious” 😉

nutritiouslysweet.com
    September 30, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Those waffles look yummmmmmy! I haven’t has waffles in a while, it’s been pancake central for me! Can’t wait for that soup recipe 🙂

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama
    October 1, 2013 at 12:46 am

Wow! That’s a super restful weekend. I think I need one of those… 🙂

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    October 1, 2013 at 1:46 am

All your food looks so darn yummy! Glad you took a break, that’s so necessary sometimes! Heck, I barely have time to read everyone’s and do my own post! I never thought blogging would be so time consuming! I love it so much though and love that I’ve gotten to meet everyone, including you! You’re the best and cutest for making those adorable muffins. Aren’t they so good? And I want to see this soup recipe my friend! I wasn’t super into butternut squash last time I had it but I feel like I’d love this soup. Soup is amazing this time of year and I’d love to kick of soup season with YOUR soup. So post it lady!
    Cute bike ride, glad it wasn’t painful til the end, hopefully it isn’t too bad like you said. <3

Brittany
    October 1, 2013 at 4:13 am

WAAHHH blogger meet up, how fun!! I wish I had more things like that in my area! Seriously, what a blast. LOVE that you were able to get out for a bike ride, anddd I NEED THAT WAFFLE!

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    October 1, 2013 at 4:34 am

I so wish I could have joined in on that blogger dinner! And those waffles…oh my goodness.

Run like a G!
    October 2, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Sometimes I have to take a break from blogging too and catch up! I will open bloglovin’ and be like “OMG!” haha 🙂 🙂

Kierston @candyfit
    October 3, 2013 at 10:29 am

Yep! I bike on the regular 🙂

Blogger meet up sounds fun! We will have to get together the next time I’m in T.O!

PNG Travel
    October 28, 2013 at 10:17 am

I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future