brownies dessert gluten-free vegan

Roasted Kabocha Squash Brownies

September 26, 2013

Thank you all for your kind words and honest thoughts on yesterday’s post. Despite the physical and mental battles I am dealing with, I have never felt luckier or more grateful. I love you all.

My family and friends are generally respectful of the food choices I make. To be honest, the only comments I get on my diet are when I indulge in “unhealthy” treats. Yes I eat french fries and burgers and Betty Crocker brownies (working on eating these things guilt-free). I don’t know why people are so shocked by this. But it is true that most of the time I try to stick to whole, real foods exempt of any artificial gunk.

Kabocha Squash Brownies

I try not to push the choices I make onto other people. I get why someone orders chicken fingers just as much as why someone orders a salad. On the other hand, healthifying food is one of my favourite things to do in the kitchen. Making something that is equally as nutritious as it is tasty is incredibly satisfying, but that doesn’t always happen. I’m going to eat the real brownie if it tastes better than the healthy version. That’s why I work so hard to make my recipes a bit of both.

Kabocha Squash Brownies

A combo of healthy + delicious was my mentality behind this brownie recipe. I really had high hopes for these, but honestly they were a let-down. I had half of one and stopped because they just weren’t Betty Crocker standard. I made a promise to you that I would only post recipes I love, so why in the heck am I posting these? By some freak turn of events my family really liked these! Like I said, they are usually pretty respectful of my food choices but getting them to eat the things I make isn’t always easy. For some reason healthy seems to be synonymous with tastes like poo. You can imagine my shock and excitement when they liked these brownies. I’ll let you be the ultimate judge.

Roasted Kabocha Squash Brownies

PREP TIME 30 mins

• 1 cup dates
  • 1.5 cups roasted kabocha
  • 2 flax eggs (2 T ground flaxseed mixed with 6 T water)
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 2/3 cup almond meal
  • 1/4 cup + 1 T cocoa powder
  • 2 T coconut palm sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt

1. 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. 2. Peel, seed and slice kabocha.
  3. 3. Bake for 20 mins or until tender.
  4. 4. Remove from oven and let cool.
  5. 5. Make flax egg and set aside.
  6. 6. Place dates in food processor and process until pea-sized.
  7. 7. Add kabocha and process until dates and kabocha are well combined.
  8. 8. Add in apple sauce, almond milk and vanilla extract. Process until combined.
  9. 9. Add in dry ingredients and process again until mixture reaches a fudgy consistency.
  10. 10. Stir in flax egg.
  11. 11. Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with non-stick spray or coconut oil. Add batter to pan.
  12. 12. Bake for 25-30 mins.
  13. 13. Let cool completely before cutting.

Do people ever comment on the food choices you make? What are your thoughts on sacrificing taste for healthier ingredients?

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee
    September 26, 2013 at 9:30 am

Well you know my thoughts on people commenting on the food choices I make! If the sacrificing of taste is “worth it” (ie the ingredients are thatttt much better for me) then I’m all for it. But usually you don’t even need to sacrifice taste, as you know. We can work on eating Betty Crocker brownies guilt free together 🙂

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    September 26, 2013 at 11:07 am

Omg, I get (totally unwanted) comments about my food choices all the time! It’s been really hard for me over the last 6 months or so since I gave up calorie counting and finally started to put into practice the “everything in moderation” thing WITHOUT guilt, but some people just don’t understand. I may eat a lot of salads, but that doesn’t mean that’s the ONLY thing I eat! Sometimes I just want to eat a freakin’ cookie! Maybe that cookie is a “healthy” cookie or maybe it’s a 2957396 calorie cookie filled with butter and sugar and every other crack-like delicious ingredient! I love making/eating healthier treats, but I will NOT eat cardboard.

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    September 26, 2013 at 11:40 am

CAN YOU PLEASE COME TO MY HOUSE AND BE MY PERSONAL CHEF?! i will pay you in compliments and runs 🙂

yes, people always say: “oh, you’re too strict” or “why don’t you just eat [insert junk food here]” or “really? you only eat ONE dessert a year? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO YOURSELF?!” which is ironic because then they go on about how much weight they’ve been gaining/how much weight they have to lose/how their pants are too tight etc etc…. sheesh.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

Shawn @ Fruity N Nutty
    September 26, 2013 at 11:53 am

Ooh brownies!!! I haven’t had one in forever, but I sure love them, particularly brownie a la mode. Your recipes always look great but I’m a bit scared to make them because I’m not that much of a cook or baker for the matter. It’s going to take lots of practice for me to get even half as good as you, but I’m pretty sure the delicious treats are worth it.

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    September 26, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Brownies and kabocha?! Yes please! I get comments on my food choices on a somewhat regular basis but I just try to ignore them. Everyone should be able to make their own food choices. And, I want these brownies to be one of mine 🙂

Madison
    September 26, 2013 at 12:21 pm

These are so interesting and look tasty AND satisfying! 🙂 I am so happy about your responses from yesterday’s post. It was an awesome post in every way and you are amazing!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    September 26, 2013 at 12:33 pm

You are so creative in the kitchen! People do comment on my eating a lot, but most are usually respectful. Now they just tease me when the food comes out and ask if I’m going to take a picture. My husband gets offended now if I don’t take a picture of something he’s cooked! haha

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    September 26, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I can’t tell you the amount of comments I get sometimes at work lots of ‘Wow that’s looks really healthy’ etc.

Loving your brownie recipe! It looks so yummy. I’ve not tried using flax eggs yet but I finally have ground flax to give them a go 🙂

September 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm

So now I really need to pick up more kabocha this week 😉 And I hate it when people make comments on what others eat. For me, when I was in recovery and starting to attempt my fear foods, I would get comments from people asking things like “why are you eating that (brownie, piece of cake, onion rings, what-have-you)? I thought you didn’t eat that stuff!” An awesome thing to say to someone who was feeling incredibly challenged by that food, clearly. What we choose to eat is our decision, people shouldn’t feel the need to comment on it!

Tina @ Tinas Chic Corner
    September 26, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I believe in “everything in moderation”. But that’s just me. I respect everyone’s food choices and I too wish people wouldn’t judge me (or others) for their food choices.
    I’m always open to trying new healthy dishes. One will never know how tasty it is unless they try. I happen to think these brownies look delicious! I’ve never thought to make them with dates and kabocha but I thank you for sharing with us to give me the opportunity to expand my horizons. 🙂

veganmiam.com
    September 26, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I’m trying to get back on track and I’ll catch up your earlier posts later today. I will have to read your yesterday post after this – I’m sorry I haven’t read it sooner, but I hope all is okay now? Sending you hugs & blissful thoughts. xx

I’m glad you posted the recipe for these delicious brownies, I guess everyone has different tastes! Maybe I’m just like your family – I like the sound of using roasted kabocha in the brownies!

My mom loves healthy foods that involves steaming vegetables, broth soups with loads of vegetables, or even dishes without the use of salt & garlic (crazy, I know, I do recall her diluting the diluted broth). My parents both don’t like having salty or greasy foods in the kitchen, but they don’t mind eating them at the restaurants, cafes, or even hawkers at least once a week. So it wasn’t a problem for her when I started eating vegan as long as I have all my veggies in my system.

September 30, 2013 at 1:02 am

Thanks friend. You are such a sweat heart and so appreciate the love!

I don’t think I could handle the lack of salt. I’m a bit heavy-handed with the salt in my kitchen 😉

September 26, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Since I study food, and I am around people who also study food and feel really passionate about it, I feel extra pressure to really watch what I eat. I like trying to eat healthy because it’s good for me, but it’s tough to feel like I’m under the microscope at times. If you like Betty Crocker brownies, you should try the Ghirardelli brownies. Literally some of the best baked goods I have ever had.

September 30, 2013 at 1:03 am

My Mom’s favourite!!! She buys the costco sized box that comes with 3. AMAZEBALLS!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    September 26, 2013 at 1:51 pm

So, this is an interesting topic. My cousin recently said to me that it looks like everything I eat is soooo healthy all the time! Well, I said to her, I never post the unhealthy stuff! It’s true, I usually only post about the healthy stuff and not the unhealthy stuff but there is plenty of eating out in my life! I do sometimes feel pressure to eat really healthy but then I think, what the heck!? Also, very creative with the brownies!

jessiebearwhatwillyou
    September 26, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Well they certainly look delicious! Definitely have to try them myself 😀

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    September 26, 2013 at 2:28 pm

These brownies look amazing and I absolutely love that they are a healthier version of something we’re all used to. Can’t wait to try!

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    September 26, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I have been waiting for this recipe – woohoo! “Healthifying” goodies is totally up my alley – one of my favorite things to do, even if it often doesn’t turn out quite right (and sometimes “tastes like poo” – your words, not mine! :)). While I prefer healthifying for most daily treats, I am totally with you that there’s a time and a place for enjoying EVERYTHING guilt-free!! From people who know me, the comments always come when I eat something “unhealthy,” which makes it less guilt-free because I feel like I have to defend myself. From people who don’t know me, the comments are about how healthy my food is, which I love because it’s a way to share my love of healthy AND delicious food with them, and hopefully encourage them! OK, long comment over :).

September 30, 2013 at 1:04 am

I hate defending myself. Felt that way at a party on Friday. I CAN EAT CAKE TOO!!!

Dixya
    September 26, 2013 at 3:01 pm

food choices is a really personal thing and I always get asked by people around me for my opinion of their diet and I dont know how to answer..I try to stay away from it unless they are my clients 🙂 these brownies look soo good – im glad your family liked it 🙂

Carla Bruns
    September 26, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Isn’t it funny how you think no one will like something and they wind up loving it. Tastes are so different!

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    September 26, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I think your outlook on food is extremely healthy. Everything in moderation. I’m noticing, especially now that I am in a program with “aspiring dieticians” that people assume because of my size/program of study I never eat sugar laden or high fat foods. It drives me nuts that people critic my choices and for that reason sometimes I choose to eat healthier foods around certain individuals or less healthy options to prove a point to others. I know this isn’t a good way to be because I should fulfill my cravings but it’s hard not to be influenced by the looks/comments others say. Just because I might know some options are less nutrient dense doesn’t mean I don’t eat them! I’m SO thankful for you sharing this recipe and I am even happier to hear you preach words of wisdom. 🙂

September 30, 2013 at 1:05 am

Thanks hun! It’s sad how other people’s commentary can affect our eating habits. When I try to eat something unhealthy without guilt it’s almost like other people are trying to sabotage me. Work in progress I guess…

Alisha @ AlishasAppetite
    September 26, 2013 at 4:50 pm

People comment on my food choices all of the time. Just last weekend a friend was making a dip (with more cheese than you want to know) in front of me and when she served it I had a bite and she said- I can’t believe your eating this after you saw what went in it!! I said it’s all about moderation. Plus there wasn’t much else to eat and I was starving. I totally get why people ask me but on the other hand I never try to force my eating habits on others either. that’s so interesting that you family liked these and you didn’t!?

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries
    September 26, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I get comments from my friends and family when I make unhealthy eating choices too! But a girl has to live once and a while!

Love the idea behind these brownies! Never would have thought up squash brownies. You are a baking genius!

eating4balance
    September 26, 2013 at 8:02 pm

This brings up such a conflicting topic. Is it okay to not eat any junk food or “indulge” in super sugary/artifical foods? In my opinion, the answer to that is yes. It’s not necessary or an integral part of being human to eat chemicals. I don’t think that we need to restrict either, but we don’t have to eat those things to be happy or live life fully. For those who enjoy them though and don’t suffer any negative consqeuences from eating them, then I feel like they are healthy pieces to their life. But those who choose not to are not being to strict. Anyways, I guess my point is that I’d rather have something that both tastes good and is also (at least somewhat) good for me too, and not something that might taste slightly better but contain some fake ingredient that could put my health at risk.

I’m happy to say that you make the first option incredibly well 🙂 Kabocha and brownies. Winner!

September 30, 2013 at 1:06 am

Preach! Though occasionally I put aside my distaste of artificial foods and eat it anyway. Usually when I’m feeling lazy but this is a rare occurrence and fortunately there are blogs like yours that have amazing healthy treats to keep me satisfied 🙂

James
    September 26, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Oh my friend and I just had a long conversation on how people always comment on what we eat but mostly when we eat ‘bad’. I even find myself defending a grilled cheese and fries to people who eat pizza everyday. They always say ‘ohhh is that part of your diet?’. Um no, I’m not on a diet, it’s just how I eat. I like eating vegetables and ‘clean’ food most of the time but every once in a while I want a cheeseburger. Very frusturating sometimes, but I’m trying to ignore it more.
    And, the last thing I expected to read after Roasted Kabocha Squash was brownies! haha You come up with some good recipes lady. I’m sure my family would much rather be your guinea pig than mine 🙂

September 26, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I’m okay with healthifying recipes as long as they taste good! I’ve made some seriously delicious healthified recipes (like no bake date bars from Oh She Glows, Dreena Burton’s Super Charge Me cookies, various banana breads, pumpkin breads, etc) but I’ve also made some awful ones. I think the key is to not take out TOO much of the sugar and TOO much of the fat. That being said, if I make something healthified, it’s generally because I plan on eating it for snacks multiple days in a row. If I’m just making something for a special occasion that I’m only going to eat once, like a cake for a birthday or dessert for a holiday dinner, I tend to just go for the real butter, sugar, fat filled dessert!

These definitely look like they fit in the category of a good healthified recipe – I bet those dates add amazing natural sweetness!

September 26, 2013 at 11:13 pm

You and me both- I’d never post a recipe unless it was something I truly enjoyed eating! Although the guilt free aspect is something I too am working on!

There is a fine line between healthifying something and then eating something as it is to savour the true beauty- case in point- the becky crocker brownies- healthifying them is borderline criminal!

kaila @ healthy helper
    September 26, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Do you think I could sub something for the almond meal? Any suggestions?

September 30, 2013 at 1:07 am

hmmm another “heavy” flour like buckwheat may work? Can’t say for sure though. You’ll have to let me know if you have any luck!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    September 27, 2013 at 1:34 am

Why can’t I find kabochas anywhere near me?! This is just not fair. I look expectantly every time I go to the store and I thought I saw some today… but no. I feel ya with the food choices thing. People are really shocked when I eat anything other than vegetables and fruit and I’m like uhhh.. I’m human too?

September 27, 2013 at 1:35 am

I’m sort of at the opposite end – people assume that I don’t ever eat junk food because I workout and run so much – they assume wrong!

Beth Sheridan
    September 27, 2013 at 1:54 am

You know I don’t mind sacrificing a little taste for a little more healthy option, but my husband just won’t have it! He won’t even touch anything if he knows I’ve substituted anything…Men!

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    September 27, 2013 at 2:08 am

AHHH i’ve been SOOO busy at work and I’ve missed looking at your blog (the whole 2 days I missed… jeez!)!!
    I love your dear body letter from yesterday my friend. You are so adorable and your body loves you as much as you love and care for it. And also, please smile as much as possible! You are beautiful when you do! 🙂 🙂
    These sounds crazy super cool! Rebekah has been baking a lot of things with dates lately and they turn out AMAZING! They are the best natural sweetener thing ever!
    Two questions:
    1. How did you become this dang creative in the kitchen? Blows my mind!! < < not so much a question!
    2. When are you coming to Atlanta to sign the contract to become our third bestie? hahah

September 30, 2013 at 1:08 am

1. Mystery to me…likely stated with my easy bake oven obsession
      2. On my way! I seriously need in on your friendship 🙂

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    September 27, 2013 at 2:18 am

Kabocha brownies?! Sign me up! 🙂
    Yeah, people comment on my food choices, usually only when I’m eating something unhealthy. LOL
    Hope you’re feeling a bit better!!

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    September 27, 2013 at 2:47 am

I would’ve never thought of squash brownies! You are one creative chef!

Paige Podbelsek
    September 27, 2013 at 4:32 am

Ahhhhh awesome. You have the best recipes! You know what grinds my gears? When people make comments that I’m “on a diet” or trying to lose weight. Ummm couldn’t be further from the truth!! And I definitely love indulgences….and when that happens you get “oh I thought you were on a diet” or “I thought you were such a healthy eater!”. Hello people….we’re all human! Sometimes you need cake! And ice cream. And cupcakes. And Reeses cups. OK this could go on awhile….

September 30, 2013 at 1:09 am

Hahahaha pretty sure I ate cake with ice cream and reeses cups IN IT this weekend. Got some looks from people but whatever, I can eat what I want!

softserveandsquats.com
    September 27, 2013 at 10:58 am

Yay I’ve been sooo excited to see your recipe for this and it looks AMAZING! I love experimenting with healthy recipe swaps, even if I don’t think they always turn out the way I expected haha. Have a wonderful weekend girl 🙂

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers
    September 27, 2013 at 11:14 am

Mmmmm, I’ve been craving brownies!

Christina @ Pinch of Healthy
    September 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm

These look sooo good. I seriously think I need to have a pinterest board dedicated to your recipes 🙂

Shashi Charles
    September 27, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I am sorry, but I must have missed a post…I always like a little “balance” in my food choices and definitely do indulge from time to time…but understand your need to make something that tastes decadent and is healthy too!
    Which brings me to these bars! Gawsh Girl – these remind me of double stacked, EXTRA moist Larabars and I so so love Larabars!
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com

Joanne
    September 27, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Isn’t it crazy how much people question your food choices when you’re normally a healthy eater and then decide to eat a french fry or slice of pizza!? Moderation! Though…I will always love stuffing veggies like kabocha into my baked goods. These look awesome!

eatgreatbegreat
    September 27, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I had my first experience with kabocha squash over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked it! I think adding it to brownies is brilliant. They sound amazing!

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    September 27, 2013 at 3:06 pm

What a GORGEOUS recipe!! I’ve actually never tried kobucha squash…gasp! “I get why someone orders chicken fingers just as much as why someone orders a salad. On the other hand, healthifying food is one of my favourite things to do in the kitchen.” <---- love this line and love your perspective. I seriously cannot wait to make these. Have a wonderful weekend!

Sarah Cook
    September 27, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I feel the exact same way about you when it comes to dessert. I want to enjoy the way it tastes and the way it makes my body feel. These brownies look like the perfect way to do that! I love your creativity and willingness to experiment in the kitchen. I really wish we lived closer so I could try your treats and you could try mine! We could swap healthy dessert. 🙂

September 30, 2013 at 1:17 am

I have a feeling that one day we will be living pretty close and then dessert swaps will HAVE to happen!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    September 27, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Am really excited to try this recipe because I have a kabocha squash just waiting to be turned into brownies and I also have brown rice flour that is waiting for a use! Pinning it and I’ll let you know what I think!

Nik Sharma
    September 27, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Ooh, I am with you I like to enjoy my desserts but I always try to make it a point to eat healthy and workout daily. I love these squash brownies.

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    September 27, 2013 at 7:52 pm

These look great, Davida!! Although, I think I’d almost feel a little guilty turning the precious kabocha into brownies. I usually get weird looks when I indulge in something ‘unhealthy’. People sometimes assume that to eat healthy it means ‘all or nothing’ but it’s really not!

Brittany
    September 27, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Girlfraaannn, you and I are one in the same. I will get DOWN on a row of Oreo’s or a bag of chips, but NOTHING brings me more joy that making a traditionally “fatty” recipe “healthier.” Even more so when I make a believer in my vegan baking. It’s sooo satisfying. These brownies…YES!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    September 28, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Yours is a healthy point of view, I love it and gosh, I really like your blog and reading all your posts, because you’re so inspiring!
    I also love to healthify desserts, but they have to turn out nice, or else, it’ll be my dog who’ll eat them. If it doesn’t taste excelent, I won’t eat it! These look quite good to me, but I don’t think my family would love them… they’re the pickiest eaters and won’t touch anything that looks remotely healthy… thy’re loss 😉

September 30, 2013 at 1:22 am

You are so sweet Consuelo!!! Definitely their loss. Your recipes look amazing!

Melissa
    September 28, 2013 at 10:41 pm

These look so good! What is life about if we don’t allow ourselves a little indulgence here and there? I get so frustrated when people comment on my food choices, especially if I choose a not-so healthy one like a burger and fries! Everyone is human and I love a good burger, fries and a milkshake every once in a while, but I also love to eat healthy food, too! It’s all about balance, but most importantly not depriving yourself!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl
    September 29, 2013 at 4:19 pm

These sound SO good, likely because I am obsessed with roasted kabocha!! I love that these are vegan, too :).

Mary Frances McNellis
    September 29, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I had never even heard of kabocha (I do now know it is a squash:) but if your family liked them, then I’m pretty sure I would love them! Now, they don’t look brown like brownies … do they taste more squashy or chocolatey? (I know those aren’t words, sorry!) They look delicious though!

September 30, 2013 at 1:46 am

definitely more chocolately but I would say they are more fudgy thanks to the squash rather than cakey like most brownies. Try and find some kabocha. It’s delicious!

Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body
    September 29, 2013 at 10:55 pm

These brownies look like such a satisfying texture! I actually have a really hard time finding kabocha. Brown rice flour was on sale at the bulk barn this weekend, and I didn’t get any 🙁 On the bright side it is pretty cheap even when it isn’t on sale so I will definitely pick some up next week so I can try this recipe!

September 30, 2013 at 1:31 am

Aw too bad! Still pretty cheap anyway. Bulk Barn may be my favourite place on earth 😉

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
    September 30, 2013 at 4:27 am

Delicious and the texture looks divine! I love experimenting with incorporating veggies into my desserts. Makes it more legitimate to gobble up a few more slices 😉

voucher discount
    October 5, 2013 at 7:40 am

It looks great. Thank you for sharing

Tessa Domestic Diva
    October 15, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Featuring you brownies this week on AFW!

Five on Friday |
    November 29, 2013 at 11:23 am

[…] in a squash, chia pudding topped squash, squash drizzled with protein frosting, squash custard, squash brownies…the list goes on. And every time without fail, I throw that idea to the wind and roast my darn […]