balls/bites dessert gluten-free paleo snacks vegan

Sunflower Butter Carob Bites

September 4, 2013
It’s no secret I am nuts for nuts. Peanuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios, you name it…I eat them. Clearly nuts make a pretty frequent appearance in my recipes in their various forms. But I realize that not everyone is as fortunate to be able to or has the desire to eat nuts. Having a nut allergy must suck not only for the obvious reason that you can’t eat them, but also because obnoxious people like me eat them and talk about them incessantly. I don’t blame you for hating me!
Sunflower Butter Carob Bites
Many people with nut allergies and intolerances opt to replace recipes with nuts with their closely related cousin, seeds. I am also a big lover of seeds believe it or not. In fact pumpkin seed butter may be up there as my favourite nut/seed butter (behind PB & pistachio butter of course). I’ll be honest, I was not blown away by sunflower butter the first time I tried it. Note to self, don’t try making it with salted sunflower seeds. It will taste well…salty. I did however start experimenting and found I came to enjoy it with a bit of added cinnamon and vanilla extract. If you are interested in making your own I usually add 2 cups of sunflower seeds, 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp of vanilla extract to a food processor and within 5 mins have sunflower seed butter. For this recipe feel free to make your own or use store-bought. If you are making your own, no need to add the additional cinnamon and vanilla extract the recipe calls for.
Sunflower Butter Carob Bites
Since I was in an experimenting mood I thought I would make another interesting substitution. Instead of using cocoa as I normally would I replaced it with unsweetened carob powder. I tried carob chips (similar to chocolate chips) for the first time a few years back in Israel. I immediately loved them. They taste like chocolate with a bit more of an earthy, almost caramel flavour. Carob is part of the legume family that comes from the carob tree. In addition to its awesome taste, carob packs a serious nutritional punch:

-Good source of fibre
-Contains many B vitamins, vitamin A, and many minerals including calcium, magnesium and potassium
-compared to chocolate it is 1/3 less calories and 17x less fat
-It does not contain caffeine
-In chip or bar form less sugar is added because carob is naturally sweeter

Clearly this stuff is pretty awesome. But if you’re more of the chocolate type feel free to just use cocoa powder. I hope this is a recipe that everyone can enjoy!

Sunflower Butter Carob Bites

PREP TIME 15 mins

For the sunflower seed butter center

• 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seed butter
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 T coconut flour
  • 2 T apple sauce
  • 6 drops liquid stevia

For the carob coating

• 1/2 cup unsweetened carob powder
  • 4 T melted coconut oil
  • 6-10 drops liquid stevia

1. 1. Mix together all ingredients of the sunflower seed butter center and roll into balls. Set aside
  2. 2. Combine carob powder, coconut oil and stevia.
  3. 3. Drop balls into carob mixture and coat.
  4. 4. Remove from mixture and place on a parchment-lined plate or sheet.
  5. 5. Place balls in freezer to set for at least 20 mins.
  6. 6. Keep in fridge or freezer.

Do you have a nut allergy? How do you manage? Have you ever tried carob?

September 4, 2013 at 10:33 am

I love you for making this nut allergy-friendly recipe! It looks awesome! 😀

Sometimes I feel like it sucks having a nut allergy, especially since I started blogging and I see so many great products and recipes using nuts. Also I’m restricted from eating so many foods out, like desserts at restaurants, Dairy Queen, etc. But I think I’ve learned to cope pretty well. Having soy nut butter and sunflower seed butter is a life saver! Also I’m super thankful to not be allergic to almonds, so I can have almond butter too. And I’ve just learned to make a lot of things from scratch (like granola bars, granola, etc).

September 5, 2013 at 3:01 am

That must be such a challenge! It’s hard to know when eating out exactly what has been contaminated with what. You have an awesome attitude about it though! Now that I’ve jumped on the seed bandwagon expect many more nut-friendly recipes to come 🙂

gottaeatgreen.com
    September 4, 2013 at 10:40 am

Mmmm these look so tasty!! Love how simple the recipe is too. I don’t have a nut allergy but my sister’s bf does, so we always have to be careful about what we make when he comes for dinner.

September 5, 2013 at 3:01 am

My friend at work is allergic to everything but she can eat these so I brought some to her!

Jessie
    September 4, 2013 at 11:10 am

I’ve been meaning to purchase some Sunflower Butter for.. oh wow, months now. After seeing this simple recipe, I really need to write it down so I don’t forget anymore, Ha Ha!

Madison
    September 4, 2013 at 11:12 am

I do not have a nut allergy–but am allergic to avocado (it’s a recent allergy that started on my honeymoon). I love this recipe though and haven’t tried carob–so this is my chance. 🙂

September 5, 2013 at 3:02 am

Oh no!!! That’s a rough allergy to have. And to develop later in life is so strange! I’m curious to hear what you think of carob!

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    September 4, 2013 at 11:19 am

2 delicious recipes in a row?!? What did we do to get so lucky? :). These sound awesome (going on the list for this weekend!), and you have me intrigued by pumpkin seed butter … do you buy it or make it?

September 4, 2013 at 11:19 am

Lol I don’t hate you 😛 Having a nut allergy is kind of a pain in the butt, but it’s not as bad as everyone makes it out to be – you learn to cope. A lot of the time that means making things from scratch, but it does make you a lot more conscious of what you put in your body, so it’s not all bad. That and the world seems to be becoming a lot more allergy-friendly, so there are plenty of tasty alternatives out there 🙂

September 5, 2013 at 3:05 am

Glad you don’t hate me 🙂 I’m going to try to jump on the allergy-friendly bandwagon. Not fair that some people can’t enjoy a good recipe! Sunflower seed butter is definitely a great alternative that I plan to use more often.

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    September 4, 2013 at 11:37 am

I’ve wanted to try carob for a long time, but I can never find carob chips in my store. Where do you get them?!

September 5, 2013 at 3:06 am

I get carob powder (and carob chips) at the Bulk Barn in Toronto but my guess is that Whole Foods or health food stores likely carry it.

Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body
    September 4, 2013 at 11:46 am

I have seen carob powder around but haven’t tried it yet. I love nuts too, and love using them in baking. Pumpkin seed butter is incredible!!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    September 4, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Ooh I’ve never tried carob and honestly didn’t really know anything about it. These look really good!

September 5, 2013 at 3:07 am

It’s kind of unusual but I love the taste. Would love to hear your thoughts if you try it out!

Shashi Charles
    September 4, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Fortunately I am not allergic to nuts -but- looking at these carob bites is driving me nuts!
    They lick – I mean look great!
    I am curious now to try sunflower seed butter – thank you for introducing me to a new possibility!
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com

September 4, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I can’t imagine what this would taste like, but I really love that you posted a nut free recipe! I’m allergic to peanuts, and I always try to figure out how I can substitute the (or peanut butter) in some of the delicious recipes I see around the blogosphere.

Where would one find carob powder?

September 5, 2013 at 3:08 am

I get it at the bulk barn in Toronto but my guess is that Whole Foods or a health food store would likely carry it. Sunflower seed butter is actually an awesome replacement for peanuts in recipes! Trader Joe’s has great sunflower seed butter.

Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness
    September 4, 2013 at 2:31 pm

YUM! I want these right now! ive never even heard of sunflower seed butter before, but now im so intrigued- i want to make it! how do you always know about the coolest stuff??

Tara
    September 4, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I love sunflower seed butter, although I must be honest and admit that the only kind I tried was the one from Trader Joe’s. Have you tried that one?

I also never tried carob, but it reminds me of a really dark chocolate.

September 5, 2013 at 3:09 am

Yup! Definitely like the TJs brand! Try to find some carob when you can. It has such an interesting taste, would love to hear your thoughts!

Dixya
    September 4, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I have not had both these things – will need to get my hands on them!!!

Khushboo
    September 4, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I’ve never tried sunflower butter but these balls look fantastic. Fortunately I don’t suffer from any allergies (at least none that I am aware of) which is a good thing especially in terms of nuts- I eat a looot of almonds and peanut butter daily ;)!

September 5, 2013 at 3:10 am

I know!!! Thank goodness I’m not allergic. I live off almonds and peanut butter!

Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen
    September 4, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Just pinned this recipe. These bites look delicious. I’ve tried carob and really enjoyed it. I’m a big fan of nuts and nut butters too! Thank goodness I don’t have a nut allergy 🙂

September 5, 2013 at 3:10 am

Thanks Alex! Ahhhh finally someone who has tried carob! Everyone keeps asking what it is lol

Em Kathryn
    September 4, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Wow I could go for these right now!!! I don’t think I have any nut allergies – I love nuts! And carob too is so ridiculously delicious 🙂

September 5, 2013 at 3:11 am

If I didn’t polish off the last one from the freezer I’d be shipping them your way!

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    September 4, 2013 at 4:21 pm

THESE LOOK SO AMAZING… And they also look really easy to OVER EAT! LOL!!!!! 😉 I want like 10 right now!

Katie Martino
    September 4, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Yum! I am slightly scared I will eat the whole batch if I make these!

September 5, 2013 at 3:12 am

I would tell you not to be scared but I basically just polished off the batch in a day…worse things have happened right?!?!

Sarah Cook
    September 4, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I adore sunflower butter and only wish I would have discovered it sooner in life.

These are really impressive and look delicious! The perfect vegan treat!

September 5, 2013 at 3:12 am

Thanks Sarah! I wish I hadn’t written it off initially…glad SSB made a comeback!

Brittany
    September 4, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I wish I could eliminate ALL nut allergies, but then again it allows for amazingly creative treats like this!! These look so good!

September 5, 2013 at 3:14 am

Thanks Brittany! I knowwww I wish I could eliminate all allergies in general…these should suffice for now 😉

Ashley Cook
    September 4, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Those look great! All of your recipes look great. Glad I found your blog!

Kim @ BusyBod
    September 4, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I have never tried carob OR sunflower seed butter (health blogger fail), but these look delicious and seem like a fabulous excuse to try both 🙂

September 5, 2013 at 3:13 am

LOL!!! They’re both kind of out there products…if you come across them definitely give them a try!

softserveandsquats.com
    September 4, 2013 at 6:26 pm

YUM! I think this recipe is going to be my reason to invest in some sunflower seed butter!
    Pistachio butter also sounds delicious! I’d never heard of it before, until you mentioned it. So many seed/nut butters to explore. I love it!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers
    September 4, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Mmmm, sounds tasty! PB will always have my heart, but you have me intrigued by pistachio butter.

Rebekah @ fitnesscreatures
    September 4, 2013 at 7:22 pm

These look heavenly! Sunflower butter is yummy and this would be a perfect reason to use some 🙂 Thanks for the recipe!

*CaNdY FiT*
    September 4, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Love carob! These sounds delightful 🙂

gschroer
    September 4, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Funny, I just made something similar to this the other day but added orange stevia! I’ll be posting the recipe soon!

taylorbee
    September 4, 2013 at 8:50 pm

wow, these look sooo delicious! I’ve actually never tried sunflower butter OR carob… I need to get on that and make these little guys!

September 5, 2013 at 3:18 am

You should! I’m into weird and unknown foods but occasionally you get a good find that you must share (and combine!)

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries
    September 4, 2013 at 9:14 pm

These are perfect for my friend who is allergic to everything under the sun! He is going to love this recipe!

Alisha @ Alishas Appetite
    September 4, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I wasn’t totally blown away by sunbutter the first time I tried it either, but I totally grew on me and now I luuurve it!

abby
    September 4, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I should try this. Considering I’m allergic to all kinds of nuts it sucks because I know most healthy recipes call for nuts. I definitely need to try this out. It looks like it would be a great snack !

September 5, 2013 at 3:20 am

It must be incredibly challenging Abby! Happy to make more allergy friendly recipes in the future 🙂

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    September 4, 2013 at 11:29 pm

My grocery store is totally inadequate! We definitely do not have sunflower butter or pistachio butter or pumpkin seed butter!! I need to get these things so I can make this delicious recipe! 🙂

September 5, 2013 at 3:20 am

I usually make my own! I’ve never seen pistachio butter or PSB in a store before but if you have a food processor on hand they are incredibly easy to make yourself!

Paige Podbelsek
    September 4, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Oh WOW these look so amazing!! I just bought Nutzo for the first time (seven nut butter) and it is soooooo yummy!!! I definitely could not live with a nut allergy…those poor people 🙁

September 5, 2013 at 3:21 am

I would LOVE to hear how these taste with nutzo. I’ve only heard awesome things about it but it’s a bit pricey so I’m holding out…

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    September 4, 2013 at 11:43 pm

YUM. i’m PMSing something fierce and i almost licked the screen when i saw these. i love how you’re so clever when it comes to baking!

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

September 5, 2013 at 3:21 am

Thanks Kathy! Some call it clever, others call is crazy…I throw a bunch of mystery foods together and hope for the best!

September 5, 2013 at 12:25 am

This recipe could not have come at a more perfect time- I have about 1/3 jar of sunflower seed butter begging to be used. And no bake? Too easy. I think if I had a nut allergy, I would save alot of money 😉

September 5, 2013 at 3:22 am

Totally agree! The amount of money I spend on nut butters is atrocious! Justin’s Vanilla AB especially…Let me know if you end up making them!

Suzanne Poldon
    September 5, 2013 at 12:38 am

I am really liking the sound of this recipe, and I happen to have sunflower butter in my pantry right now!!

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    September 5, 2013 at 1:22 am

These look great Davida!! I don’t know how people live without nut butter… I am SO darn glad that I don’t have any nut allergies!

September 5, 2013 at 3:23 am

Same here Karey! But now that I’ve tried out a few seed butters I know I would survive…I just might be a bit more grumpy!

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    September 5, 2013 at 2:14 am

These look amazing! I went through a phase where I was addicted to sunflower seed butter and ate it straight out of the jar! This looks much tastier than that though! 🙂 I love how healthy this recipe is! I have never heard of Carob either… sounds something worth trying. 🙂 Per usual, your yummy recipes have me thinking I too can cook/bake. I’m a failure, so no to that. 🙂

September 5, 2013 at 3:24 am

If any recipe is fool-proof, it’s this!!! I have full confidence you could pull these off. If they didn’t melt along the way I would definitely ship some to you 🙂

September 5, 2013 at 3:23 am

I’m nuts for nuts too! That sounds wrong…but you said it first! 😉 I’ve never tried pumpkin seed butter before hmmmm sounds good though!

Christina @ Pinch of Healthy
    September 5, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I love anything to do with nuts and seeds and love that you used sunflower seed butter! I think this is a forgotten seed butter that deserves way more attention because it is so delicious. Making these asap!

eating4balance
    September 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Hmmm. I’m a big proponent of both carob and sunbutter. I actually have made something quite similar. These look great! Like a healthy form of Buckeyes 🙂

veganmiam.com
    September 6, 2013 at 11:55 am

Nuts are my favorite including macadamia, but they are so expensive! I found a macadamia nut milk in Spain, but it is a bit pricey for me to get! About $4. These no-bake desserts look amazing and perfect for midnight snacks (hehehe). The sunflower seed butter centre looks so creamy!

September 7, 2013 at 1:58 am

Macadamia nut milk sounds incredible! You could probably make it yourself but I’m guessing you probably don’t have a great blender with you while you travel. So many of these consumed at midnight 🙂

thealmondeater
    September 6, 2013 at 1:45 pm

These look delicious! I love nuts but have yet to try sunflower seed butter. …will definitely be giving these a try!

Love What You Do
    September 9, 2013 at 1:19 am

Those look fantastic!

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake
    September 10, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Yummmmmmm! They look so soft inside.

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat
    September 11, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Yes, these are insane! Sharing them at Raw Foods Thursdays tomorrow. Well done!!

September 12, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Thanks heather!! I wasn’t so sure what people would think about two unconventional ingredients but I guess it’s pretty popular!

Heather
    February 15, 2014 at 10:18 pm

These are SO good I have made them twice… pretty much when I get down to one I am making another batch!

February 16, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I’m SO happy to hear that Heather! People get thrown off by the carob but it is so key! Glad you liked 🙂

Heather
        February 16, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I stopped eating chocolate and so happy I found this for carob! It really is great. SUPER YUM!

Http://prospokers.com/users.php?Mode=profile&uid=5233
    March 4, 2014 at 10:37 am

This is critical, because the size, color, shape and text of
    the logo should reflect whatever you asked for, and what you
    will accept as your company logo. The 2002 movie The Count of Monte Cristo was
    actually filmed in Valletta and Vittoriosa as an alternative to Marseille.
    Once the windows password reset, the Windows program restarts itself
    so that you are able to join without password.
    http://prospokers.com/users.php?Mode=profile&uid=5233 recently posted…http://prospokers.com/users.php?Mode=profile&uid=5233

Chocolate Matcha Energy Balls + An Energy Ball Round-Up! - The Healthy Maven
    May 30, 2014 at 9:04 am

[…] Sea Salt Chocolate Cheesecake Truffles- Lexi’s Clean Kitchen (gf, df, nf, paleo-friendly) Sunflower Butter Carob Balls- The Healthy Maven (gf, df, nf, paleo-friendly) Tropical Snack Bites with Almonds and Chia- Two […]

larry Olden
    July 18, 2014 at 1:46 pm

It’s fantastic that you are getting thoughts from this article as well as from our dialogue made
    at this time.

Here is my site: larry Olden
    larry Olden recently posted…larry Olden

chipmunks
    July 20, 2014 at 11:36 am

Ridiculous story there. What happened after? Thanks!

Feel free to visit my web site: chipmunks
    chipmunks recently posted…chipmunks