dinner gluten-free paleo vegan vegetarian

Truffled Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto

September 19, 2013

Do you have a go-to item or meal that you have to order if it’s on a menu? For me that’s anything with truffles. It could be a glass of dairy-full milk filled with gluten, but if it’s topped with truffles I just have to order it. I have an inability to turn down truffles.

Truffled Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto // thehealthymaven.comWhen I was living in NYC I truly believe I took the truffle tour of the entire island. Virtually every restaurant I ate at had a dish featuring truffles in some form. It may have also been the fact that I scour menus before I go to restaurants so I only choose ones that have dishes I know I would order. Such was the case with one of my favourite restaurants in Manhattan, Risotteria. This is a gluten-free and vegetarian restaurant that makes the most outstanding risotto you will ever taste. Also their GF breadsticks are the best thing since real breadsticks!
Truffled Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto // thehealthymaven.comThere was only one thing on the menu I would order, their truffled mushroom risotto. Since moving away I have yet to eat a risotto as good as theirs and I’m not dumb enough to even try to recreate it at home. Instead I thought I would do a lightened-up version by substituting cauliflower “rice” for real rice. Does this taste like Risotteria’s truffled mushroom risotto? Definitely not. But it’s pretty damn good. We could also talk about how it’s significantly healthier and dairy-free. Sometimes when you can’t have the real stuff you may as well substitute it with healthy ingredients, put a smile on your face and call it a day.

Truffled Mushroom Cauliflower Risotto

PREP TIME 15 mins
Cook Time 45 mins
Total Time 1 hr
Serves 3-4     adjust servings

• 2 T truffle oil-divided (olive oil will also work)
  • 1 large head of cauliflower
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 8 oz sliced mushrooms
  • 6 cups baby spinach
  • 2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (or parmesan cheese)
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 tsp of salt, or more to taste
  • pepper, to taste
  • toasted pinenuts, optional

1. Chop cauliflower into florets and place in a food processor. Process for 1-2 mins or until "rice-like" consistency is reached.
  2. Heat 1 Tablespoon of truffle oil (or olive oil) in a medium-sized pot over medium heat.
  3. Add chopped onion, garlic and thyme and saute for 2-3 mins.
  4. Add in mushrooms and cook for another 3 mins.
  5. Add spinach and cook until wilted.
  6. Stir in cauliflower rice and let cook, stirring frequently for 5 mins.
  7. On the stove or in the microwave heat up vegetable stock until warm but not boiling.
  8. In 1/4 cup increments add stock to cauliflower mixture. Let each 1/4 cup absorb before adding in the next. Stir frequently. This will take time so be patient.
  9. After half of stock has been absorbed add in nutritional yeast, other tablespoon of truffle oil and salt and pepper.
  10. Continue adding stock until all has been absorbed.
  11. Place heat on low and let cook uncovered for another 10 mins.
  12. Top with pine nuts (if using) and serve.

Is there an item or food you have to order if it’s on a menu? Do you read menus before you go to restaurants?

Suzanne Poldon
    September 19, 2013 at 10:33 am

I’ve never tried truffles. but I would love to give them a shot. The bowl you used is super cute too 🙂

Being vegan, I almost always read the menu ahead of time to ensure there is at least one thing I can order 🙂

veganmiam.com
    September 19, 2013 at 10:59 am

I had my first truffle risotto with asparagus and mandarin at a hotel in Manila and it was so good & hearty! It was part of the free breakfast. I tried a local white truffle oil in Oregon, and it was pretty good, too. Now I’m addicted to truffles & truffle oil! There are so many different kinds of truffles & truffle oils to try! Cauliflower “rice” is a trending recipe and I like the fact that you created a cauliflower ‘rice’ risotto with truffle oil (yum!) What a wonderful dish, Davida, I would love to make this!

I always read menus before I go to restaurants and contact the restaurants in advance for vegan options & confirming the open hours. Sometimes, we stumble upon vegan & vegan-friendly restaurants that aren’t mentioned online or on Happy Cow – I photograph the menu (always bring an iPhone/small camera with me) and sometimes translate the menu.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 22, 2013 at 12:40 am

Free truffle risotto for breakfast??? Must head to Manila right now!

When I start traveling I’m just gonna read your blog for restaurant ideas instead of menus 🙂 you’ve done all the work for me!

softserveandsquats.com
    September 19, 2013 at 11:09 am

This looks beautiful and delicious! So much goodness in one dish. 🙂 I love cauliflower in just about anything, and all the textures and flavors going on here sound fabulous.

taylorbee
    September 19, 2013 at 11:20 am

haha, I’m the same way! love anyyyyything with truffles… if the description says, “drizzled with truffle oil,” you can put $20 on me ordering it 🙂 this cauliflower risotto looks AWESOME! I’ll definitely be trying this one.

kellyrunsforfood.com
    September 19, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Wow, that looks good, I’d never think to make something like that! I usually check out menus ahead of time so I can try to make good choices. I usually end up ordering pizza though, haha. I’m a sucker for any kind of veggie flatbread or any food that has basil and feta in it.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers
    September 19, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I’ve only made risotto once. It was really good, but it wasn’t all that risotto-ish. I think I need to give it another shot!

September 19, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I swear you read my mind – I’ve been wanting to try making cauliflower rice! And I love that you made it into a risotto. Mushroom risotto is the best!

Lately I haven’t been that predictable with my restaurant orders… but if I go to a pizza place with a fig pizza on the menu, you can bet a million dollars I’m ordering it!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 22, 2013 at 12:40 am

Fig pizza eh??? The only place I’ve seen that is on Amy’s blog but I’ll keep my eye out!

September 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Confession: I had to Google what truffles were – I don’t think I’ve ever had them before! Apparently I’m just not that fancy with my food. But I definitely do look up menus online… mostly because my allergies make eating out a bit of a nuisance, so I have to check what’s safe for me to eat before I actually go anywhere. Well, that and I don’t want to be the person at the table that takes forever to decide 😉

Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness
    September 19, 2013 at 1:06 pm

OMG- if only we knew each other when we were both in NYC! i had a friend who would scour the city for truffles- i of course was all too happy to accompany her on his journey- and yeah that lead to some delicious discoveries 🙂 this looks like the most delicious meal evvveerrr!

September 19, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I had truffle fries the other day and they were delicious! I’d never experienced this whole truffleness until I studied abroad, actually. I usually stick to having them on fries or having them in some otherwise (relatively) inexpensive way. It’s amazing how much you can spend on a dish with truffles!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 22, 2013 at 12:42 am

truffle.fries.are.the.best. Seriously…I don’t think there’s anything better in life!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    September 19, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Is it true that truffle oil is really expensive? If so I’m really sad. Once I watched part of a science-y show about how truffles are harvested and there are those special pigs that have to sniff them out. I thought it was so funny that the pigs smell the pheromones and think the truffles are another piggy!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 22, 2013 at 12:42 am

Annoyingly expensive 🙁 Mine was gifted to us and I use it sparingly.

Also I’ve totally watched that show…I think it may have been 60 minutes? We’re super cool 😉

Shashi Charles
    September 19, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Love this healthied up mushroom cauliflower risotto!
    I have a confession to make – for the longest time, I used to think of the chocolate truffles everytime someone mentioned truffles! It wasn’t till recently that I figured out what truffles really were! Gah!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 22, 2013 at 12:43 am

You are definitely not the only one! Also truffled chocolate truffles would be amazing I’m thinking…

September 19, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I’ve actually never made a risotto of any form before – I need to get on that! Nor have I had truffles…bah, add that to the list as well. Now that we’re getting into fall menus, I keep an eye out for dishes with sweet potato or squash. can never go wrong with those!

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    September 19, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Never would have thought to make risotto with cauliflower! Looks really good! Generally I do not have the patience to make risotto.

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    September 19, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Don’t hate me, but I really don’t like truffles 🙁 I’ve tried them but I just don’t like the flavor…which is weird because i’m the least picky eater ever! I’ve heard of “ricing” cauliflower and really need to try it soon! I’m hoping I could trick my cauliflower-hating hubby into eating it.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 22, 2013 at 12:44 am

whaaaaat??!?! I could never hate you but seriously?!?! They are amazing. I forgive you though 😉

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    September 19, 2013 at 2:08 pm

i don’t think i’ve had truffle-anything! is it bitter? sweet? i think of chocolates when i think of truffles.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 22, 2013 at 12:45 am

I don’t even know how to describe it! It’s definitely savoury but maybe with a mushroom flavour? Then again it’s often paired with mushrooms so maybe that’s why…

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    September 19, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Like all of your recipes, this looks delicious! I only scour menus beforehand if I’m trying to be healthy–to make sure they have a yummy, healthy option I will enjoy. Otherwise, I just wait til I arrive and splurge on whatever my heart desires.

Kim @ BusyBod
    September 19, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I am definitely going to have to go to Risotteria next time we make a trip into the city! I feel like most GF places are allllll meat, so GF and vegetarian is like heaven for me 🙂

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 22, 2013 at 12:46 am

You must go!!! And get the mushroom risotto for me 🙂 But be prepared to wait…like every NY resto!

Sky-Ann @ The Little Button
    September 19, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Hi there, wow this looks really good. I think I will have to make this soon!

I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you as one of my favorite blogs. It’s for the Liebster award.

You can check out the details here if you would like to accept 🙂

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    September 19, 2013 at 3:50 pm

When we start harvesting our cauliflower, I will be reaching out for this recipe and swooning at the results!

FitBritt
    September 19, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I totally read the menus of all restaurants before I go! I like to know what I’m going to have! I have not heard of this Risotteria but I am going to have to go because if you say the words “truffle” and “mushrooms” in the same sentence by husband wants to know where, when, and how long before he is eating it!? Love it! I am sure this recipe will blow his socks off!

Amy @ TheDeviatedRunner
    September 19, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Ooooh, this dish sounds amazing! I love the idea of ‘healthifying’ with cauliflower, and anything with parmesan is usually a winner in my book.
    I don’t always read menus before I leave for a restaurant, but if there are crab cakes anywhere on the menu- they WILL be on my plate! 🙂

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 22, 2013 at 12:49 am

crab cakes are so freaking good…if I didn’t try to eat GF I would be all over those!!!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    September 19, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Just pinned this recipe! I’ve never tried truffle oil, but I’m excited to check it out!

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    September 19, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Yum! I definitely check out the menu before I go to restaurants … no reason to go and pay for a meal unless there’s something you can get excited about, in my opinion! I almost never decide what I’m ordering until I get there, though!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 22, 2013 at 12:49 am

My thoughts exactly!! Although I suppose it takes a bit of the fun and excitement out of things but I definitely want to know there are things I would eat.

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    September 19, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I JUST send this to my co blogger to turn Paleo to cook for both of us! It’s hard to find a vegetarian dish that we both can eat and with some minor modifications, this will work, I think!! 🙂 Yum! You are so darn good at this stuff!

jessiebearwhatwillyou
    September 19, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Yuuuum- so unique!

September 19, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I’ve never used actual truffles but we do use truffle oil occasionally. This risotto looks delicious!!

September 19, 2013 at 11:30 pm

I love truffle oil! I once had it on a plain pizza with no sauce, just truffle oil, minced garlic and herbs- so good!

I am definitely making this recipe hopefully this weekend during food prep- It’ll be great to quickly pair with a protein and carb for meals! Thanks for another winning recipe!

Alisha @ AlishasAppetite
    September 20, 2013 at 1:06 am

I am 100% guilty of reading the menus before I go to the restaurant! Can you believe I’ve never tried truffle oil before? This looks delicious!

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake
    September 20, 2013 at 1:46 am

Um YES! This looks so good! Perfect fall recipe!

mrsmurphyslawoffitness.com
    September 20, 2013 at 2:11 am

This looks awesome! I don’t think I have ever tried truffle oil before, but this makes me want to eat it for every meal 🙂 Also, I just got your email and plan on getting back to you tomorrow!! That is if I don’t have to go pick up Joseph early from school again!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    September 20, 2013 at 2:15 am

Oh my gosh this sounds SO GOOD!!! The perfect fall dish! And is there anything better than risotto?

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries
    September 20, 2013 at 3:51 am

I wish I liked mushrooms because this looks amazing!

Jan Sproutsnsquats
    September 20, 2013 at 8:29 am

Wow this looks AMAZING I’ve not cooked with truffle before but I really should and you’ve inspired me to want to make risotto again. I haven’t in years but I really should 🙂

eating4balance
    September 20, 2013 at 11:45 am

Wow. This looks gourmet Davida! I’ve never had truffle oil before but Heather at Kiss My Broccoli mentioned it recently and it sounds so good.

I love cauliflower risotto by itself, but this has got me thinking that with its texture it would kind of be good as a dip too with pita chips or something! Or on top of a salad… SO many possibilities 🙂

Tina
    September 20, 2013 at 2:44 pm

What an awesome healthy version of risotto! I love all these flavors. Cauliflower is seriously an amazing and versatile ingredient. 🙂
    Tina at http://www.tinaschic.com

Love What You Do
    September 20, 2013 at 3:33 pm

This looks delish!

Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner
    September 20, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Oh yum! I definitely need to try this!

Sarah Pie
    September 20, 2013 at 10:59 pm

That’s a good attitude to have, I just may have to steal it (mostly because I’m not so good at re-creating my favorites at home!) Risotto is one of my favorite winter meals so I’ll be adding this to the “to cook” list for sure 🙂

Curly Pink Runner
    September 21, 2013 at 4:24 am

Yum!! This looks delicious- thanks for sharing the recipe

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
    September 21, 2013 at 5:27 am

Mmm.. i love this healthier and yum version of risotto. Must try making it soon!

almostgettingittogether.com
    September 21, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I HAVE to try this. I love risotto & cauliflower but sometimes feel a little guilty eating risotto… looks so yummy!

And I always look at menus before I go… but sometimes I’ll get the special!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      September 22, 2013 at 12:55 am

That’s so funny…I always look up menus in advance but almost always end up getting the special!

Run like a G!
    September 22, 2013 at 2:14 pm

That looks amazing!!!

*CaNdY FiT*
    September 23, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I’ve never tried Risotto!!! This looks super tasty! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    September 26, 2013 at 10:41 am

TRUFFLE ALL THE THINGS!!!! Omg, I just posted about the mad love affair that I’ve developed with truffles a week or so ago! Love love love them! Just can’t believe it took me 27 years to try them for the first time! I love a good risotto….I’ve only made one myself and will probably never ever do it again since I swear I got tennis elbow (risotto elbow?) from all that damn stirring! But man, this sounds SO good!

If I can, I ALWAYS check the menu to a restaurant before going. I love trying new/unique dishes and/or thing that I can’t normally make myself! I like to mix it up, but I have to say I have a hard time saying no to scallops, fennel, ahi tuna!

February 12, 2014 at 10:59 am

Going to NYC in two weeks to see Carly. Must. Go. To. Risotto.

I listened to this podcast on my run with this guy who runs a truffle company. It was really interesting. I should e-mail you/text you about this. Also I have some cauliflower so I might make this for lunch/dinner next week WHOOO.
    Cassie recently posted…The Best Ten Minute Gluten Free Pizza Crust

casque beats monster mibêtes. La plupart des autres principaux indices de ventes se sont aussi consolid le mois dernier
    April 12, 2014 at 1:00 pm

nouveau casque beats

Ce projet étudie le rôle remarqu casque beats monster é de médi casque dr dre pas cher ateur interculturel joué par l’écrivain belge Maurice Maeterlinck (18621949), prix Nobel de littérature en 1911. Pour ce Flamand francophone mais diglotte, le diale…

casque beat qui constituent les cibles thérapeutiques de l'avenir..
    April 12, 2014 at 1:04 pm

casque docteur dre

Cette presse commerciale”nationale” conna ses imperfections et casque beat ses limites. Lavacuit est pour elle le meilleur des stimulants etfortifiants. casque beats solo Encore une fois, le lecteur se laisse avoirconsciemment ou inconsciemment. Tesv…

Truffled Mushroom Risotto | The Paleo Paramedic
    March 5, 2015 at 12:14 pm

[…] check out and try the original from Davida’s blog and my version and see what you […]