Uncategorized

Baking Course Recap {Part 1}

October 31, 2013

First off baby Davs would like to wish you all a HAPPY HALLOWEEN. It’s normal for a 3 year old to want to dress up as a tree, right? It’s also normal for your parents to dress you up in a red body suit with safety pinned leaves attached and call it a tree, right?

Side note- Dad, I completely forgive you for this costume, but only because it’s your birthday!!!! As per your request, a batch of your favourite Dark Chocolate Cherry Bars coming right up!

Onto the real topic of this post. I’m about halfway through my baking course so I thought it was appropriate that I do a recap of how it’s going so far. For those of you who don’t know, I signed up for a 3-month long baking course at a culinary school in Toronto. A lot of you have probably seen these pictures thanks to Instagram. Even if I get nothing out of this course, at least I have some pictures for you to salivate over.

Thankfully I have actually learned a thing or too. More than I thought I would actually. I won’t lie, I went into the first class being my typical know-it-all (ahem maven) self, and scoffed at the fact that our first class was a simple pie crust. Well it was clear that the instructor had a plan in mind. Build our confidence up in class 1 and then crush it by cake week. My dream of opening Davida’s Treats (or Davida’s Delights as Amy so brilliantly came up with) by tomorrow has been put on hold. Clearly, I have a ways to go.
The content: So far we’ve covered pie, muffins, biscuits/scones, custards, bread, and cake piping and masking. I can’t say I’ve been excited for every single one of these topics (I’m looking at you piping and masking), but I’m happy they’re included because otherwise I would never attempt to practice them. By far my favourite was the custard class because we made our own caramel and I am the caramel queen! And while my bread braiding skills are on point, my kneading skills are subpar bordering on non-existent.
The people: I got very lucky that I picked the right workbench on day 1. Wherever you chose became your spot for the next 12 weeks and whoever was next to you became your partner for the rest of the semester. Fortunately my partner is awesome and doesn’t laugh at me when I accidentally measure in ounces instead of grams. The rest of the class is an interesting mix. About 50% are actually interested in baking and have the same obsession with dessert as I do and the other 50% either has no clue where they are or completely misunderstood that you have to bake in baking class. Have I met my baking soulmate? Not quite. But I am able to tolerate almost everyone for the entire 4 hours, which is a serious feat for me.
The instructor: Chef Stephanie is actually my baking soulmate but she just doesn’t know it yet. Chef Steph, if you’re reading this I am completely obsessed with you and am bordering on stalker status at this point. Also I want your job at Food52. Be my best friend? PLEASE.
Mocha Bavarian Creme Recipe

The outfit: This needed it’s own category because it is downright ridiculous. Plus it doubles as a sweet Halloween costume. The outfit is actually quite comfortable, minus the shoes. We’re forced to wear intense steel-toed black shoes and since I’m cheap I bought mine at Walmart. They are enormous and uncomfortable but in the rare case that an oven falls on me, I’ll survive with all 10 toes.

The verdict: I am so happy I stepped out of my comfort zone and signed up. I definitely feel like I’m learning a lot, and it’s been a while since I’ve learned anything so that’s an additional plus. I also get to spend 4 hours talking and immersing myself into my favourite thing, baking. The only downside is the fact that it is 4 hours long. It means I go straight from an 8 hour workday to 4 hours in the kitchen. Then I have the hour commute home on the subway where I am perpetually worried I’m going to get jumped, but not for my wallet, but for my pies. Oh and sometimes the baked goods get sacrificed as I try to sherpa my way home. Several of my creme caramels had an accident all over their box.
Do you see all the lines? Technically I would have failed. Sigh.

I still have a long way to go. Hopefully I survive the next 6 weeks and/or Chef Steph doesn’t put a restraining order on me so that I can do a full recap for you. In the meantime, I’ll see you on Instagram. Tonight we tackle éclairs!

**Reminder! If you haven’t entered my Kewaza Energy Ball Giveaway yet, you have until Monday. Enter HERE.

Have you ever taken a baking/cooking course?
Are you dressing up for Halloween?

gottaeatgreen.com
    October 31, 2013 at 10:25 am

You are seriously the cutest thing ever! As that tree (hilarious) and in your baker gear! Your IG pics on class day make me drooool. Everything looks delicious! Glad you are enjoying it!

November 1, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Thanks Christine 🙂 The thought process behind the tree costume is seriously a mystery to me!

nutritiouslysweet.com
    October 31, 2013 at 10:35 am

Oh my look at you in your baking clothing!!! I wish I could have gone to culinary school! I was in but the then loan didn’t go through…booo! But at least I can watch you do it 🙂

November 1, 2013 at 4:23 pm

That’s awful!!! I wish you could have gone. Is there no way around it? You would make such a great chef!

October 31, 2013 at 10:43 am

I would seriously love to take a baking class one of these days. I thought about taking a cooking class, buuuuut to be honest… I don’t enjoy cooking as much as baking — probably because I have a huge sweet tooth that cooking doesn’t cater to, so I just can’t justify the effort lol.

November 1, 2013 at 4:24 pm

That was my thought-process exactly. I think I would maybe last a day in the cooking class. You know I share your sweet tooth 🙂

Jessie
    October 31, 2013 at 11:16 am

I had no idea you were taking a 3 month baking course. How cool! It was so fun reading your recap and hearing all the pros so far. By the looks of your finished dishes, I’d say you’re doing awesome! Everything sounds and looks fantastic. Keep up the good work, Davida!

Happy Halloween
    xoxo

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    October 31, 2013 at 11:46 am

that is so awesome!! i have never signed up for a baking class or cooking class of any sort because i’d be that student who goes there totally unprepared and saying: what? why are we cooking? why do i have to wear that? DO WE ACTUALLY HAVE TO BAKE? I THOUGHT WE CAME HERE TO EAT!! EAT ALL THE PIES!!

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

November 1, 2013 at 4:57 pm

So you’d fit right in! I’ll sneak you in next week and you can eat all of the pies!!!

Madison
    October 31, 2013 at 11:51 am

This is so awesome and cool that you are learning even more about baking! 🙂

Shashi Charles
    October 31, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Oh that red (tree) body suit with the pinned on leaves! Oh my – too too funny!
    Davida – this baking class sounds AWESOME! Am not on IG yet – so this is news for me – your treats look great – and that cake WOWZERS! It makes for a long day, but it will be so worth it (hoping you manage not to get thrown in jail for stalking) 😉
    So I have an idea – how bout when you are done with your course – you have a Hooge partay with ALL treats baked by you (that cake and frosting is a must) and we all come and feast er I mean celebrate your graduation?
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com

November 1, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Best idea!!! You may have to fight my coworkers to the bone though for those treats but they’ve gotten enough already!

mrsmurphyslawoffitness.com
    October 31, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Love this! I Can’t wait until Davita’s Delights opens! It can be next to my fitness studio (I haven’t come up with a nsme yet). 🙂 I’m so glad you are enjoying the experience and don’t regret stepping out of your comfort zone! Oh, and the tree costume reminds me of Anchor Man where Steve Carrell’s Character names all of the things he loves. “I love lamp. I love desk.” I love tree!

Heather Wilson
    October 31, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Heheh you were a cute tree! 🙂

I cant wait till Daita’s Delight’s opens! Maybe online order will be available as well? Overnight shipping perhaps, hehe!!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    October 31, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Ha ha… That costume is too funny! I had never taken a baking course, but I would love to. It sounds like hard work but a lot of fun. Look forward to more recaps. Happy Halloween!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    October 31, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Hey you don’t learn without failing! That’s the whole point. Don’t get too discouraged, you have serious talent and are only working to make those talents shine brighter. Davida’s Delights is a place I would frequent, often! I really hope you get your dreams fulfilled, love! I have a feeling you will. Then I’ll have an excuse to come to Canada, for the grand opening.

November 1, 2013 at 5:47 pm

You’re the cutest! If I do decide to take that dream on seriously I’ll come to you for motivation!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    October 31, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Love your chef outfit, too cute! That class sounds awesome. I would love to take a baking class! I hope you’ll continue to share pics of your creations!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    October 31, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I am dressing up for Halloween. My work team has a theme. I’m going to Insta a photo later! Your baking class looks impressive! I have taken cooking classes before but they are only a few hours long and are one session only. I do it for fun!

October 31, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Ok the best part of the entire post is the picture of those God awful shoes. Thanks for not mentioning those before because I almost spit out my water when I saw them. Love it.

Seems like everyone’s on board with Davida’s Delights. You’re welcome.

Khushboo
    October 31, 2013 at 1:24 pm

OMG i just wanna faceplant that cake! I don’t normally even like icing but that looks too.die.for! Loving the outfit too- you look super cute and I’m so glad you are loving it so far! Taking a dessert-making course is on my bucket list, hopefully I can tick that off sooner rather than later :)!

November 1, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I would have loved to watch you faceplant into it! And please take a course so I can stalk your pictures on IG (clearly I have a habit of stalking!)

9toFit
    October 31, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Taking a class is such a great idea. Taking one of these has been on my to-do list for awhile now just picking up dust I need to start researching places in the Boston area!

-Elise @ 9toFit.com

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    October 31, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Well aren’t you a little cutie?! Your baking course looks so fun! I have nver taken one, but Cruda cafe in st lawrence offers one i’m interested in!!

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    October 31, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Loved reading about this recap! That Halloween costume is also hilarious.

I actually considered going to Culinary School before I decided on grad school here. It was fun going on a tour of George Brown and hearing all about it! Maybe one of these days I will have to sign up for a class like you have done!

Food 52 – What an awesome place to work! I love reading their posts. They are hiring… http://food52.com/jobs

November 1, 2013 at 5:46 pm

You better bet I’ve looked into them! But most of them are unpaid or in NYC 🙁

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    October 31, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Ahh baby Davs is adorable!! Love it 🙂 Oh wow all those things look so good! Was that challah bread? I love that stuff! Happy Halloween!

Em @ Love A Latte
    October 31, 2013 at 3:05 pm

That’s so awesome that you’re taking a baking course! Sounds like a blast. I’ve never done anything like that, but definitely would! I’m not dressing up for Halloween – just handing out candy tonight! 🙂

Leslee S
    October 31, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I am dressing up this year, I’m pretty excited about it!

Your class sounds like so much fun! I worked as a server at a retirement home during high school and was always in and out of the kitchen so they made us wear these horrendous black, clunky, non-slip shoes so I feel ya on that one.

October 31, 2013 at 3:13 pm

You look so professional in your chef’s hat and jacket!!! I didn’t know you had plans to open your own treat shop – I think you would be awesome!!
    That bread looked amazing to me – I think it’s beautifully shaped!!

Tina @ Tinas Chic Corner
    October 31, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I’d love to take a baking course! That’s awesome. That braided breaded looks fantastic. 🙂

November 1, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Thank you!!! I’ve mastered the bread braiding thanks to years of braiding my own hair lol

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    October 31, 2013 at 4:12 pm

You are SO STINKING ADORABLE! And good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone to try this class! Awesome that you got a good partner and even managed to learn about the upcoming winter trend of steel toed Wal Mart shoes (you’re so ahead of the curve, go girl!).
    🙂 That cake looks magnificent, with or without lines. A +++! Happy Halloween you tree cutie!

November 1, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I love that you say stinking. I feel like that’s a southern thing. Well if it isn’t I don’t care! I stinking love it!

Those shoes are all the rage these days! Hitting the Paris runway next week debuted the Fall 2014 trends!

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    October 31, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Oh my gosh, dying about the red body suit as a tree! You are adorable. Really glad you’ve stepped out of your comfort zone to do this … can’t imagine the recipes you share with us getting even better, but I can’t wait to see the fruits of your efforts!

November 1, 2013 at 5:51 pm

The class is getting so much harder so my success level may plummet but I’ll try my best!

James
    October 31, 2013 at 4:32 pm

1 – that tree costume is one of the best things I have ever seen 2 – When Davida’s Delights opens I would like an order of those soon-to-be famous caramels…and maybe a few dozen pies, since I would probably be the person trying to steal them from you on the subway haha 🙂

November 1, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I’d give them up willingly. Too many frozen goods in my freezer right now to even consider putting up a fight with an attacker. And glad to know I have at least 1 customer!

Alex Katzen
    October 31, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Wow I would love to take a class like this! So fancy! 🙂

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    October 31, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Aww, those classes sound so so fun. I’d love to join you! And *ahem* I’d be the one who stole your pies at the subway he he he 😉
    No but really, all of this looks so great!

Sarah Cook
    October 31, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my face! Wow, there is a lot of yummy looking stuff in this post. Are those chocolate chip scones or biscuits? Either way, I want one now!

Hahaha- that costume your parents put on you was hilarious. A red felt tree? I see those all the time!!

This baking course sounds like an interesting experience. Have they taught you how to make anything gluten free?

November 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm

the worst part is that the costume was a hand-me-down from another family!

I don’t eat all of the goodies but definitely some of them. The stomach ache is worth it!

almostgettingittogether.com
    October 31, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I took a cake decorating class in the spring… it was really fun. I would love to take an intensive-baking course like you. You make it look like it’s definitely worth the time/money. I have trouble branching out unless I force myself and that would be the perfect way to do it.

November 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Will you be my cake decorator?!?! I suck at it! I could use expert skills please!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    October 31, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Haha! You crack me up—I like your shoes 😉 Taking a baking class would be awesome I think–assuming everyone is enthused. I’m about to follow you on Instagram so I can salivate on the daily. …..yum.

November 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Stalk away! And clearly that is a habit of mine so don’t be scared if I start stalking you!

apieceofcait
    October 31, 2013 at 8:02 pm

what a great idea to get out there and out of your comfort zone! I would love to take a baking class.. tots putting it on the bucket list .. and your shoes are to dieeeee for 😉

Run like a G!
    October 31, 2013 at 8:49 pm

The course sounds really interesting! Glad you are having fun!!!! 🙂

Melanie @HappyBeingHealthy.com
    October 31, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I love your tree costume, lol! Awesome.

All of your creations look amazing!!! I am beyond impressed with your bread braid. Holy cow. It looks like you are learning SO MUCH. What a fun course. I’m sure you could open up Davida’s Delights and have great success!

November 1, 2013 at 5:23 pm

It’s ridiculous right? Gotta love parents! And thank youuuu. Now we’ll see if I can make it happen 🙂

October 31, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I love this- and I will continually harass you until Davida’a delights becomes a reality. I’d love to do a baking course one of these days- damn time management and lack of classes here!

LOL at the costume- parents have the best thought processes ever.

November 1, 2013 at 5:37 pm

right? Like where in the world did they get the idea to dress me up as a tree? I’m pretty sure this was the height of my disney obsession and there are at least 10 real costumes that could have come of that!

Paige Podbelsek
    October 31, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Love your costume!! This class looks like a blast. Your baked goods seriously look so professional! Definitely think the bakery needs to become a real thing. It’s awesome that you can spend 4 hours just focusing on something you love 🙂

November 1, 2013 at 5:38 pm

We shall see! Lots of work though so I’m going to have to find some serious motivation!

Tara
    November 1, 2013 at 12:24 am

How fun!!!! This looks so amazing. I can’t wait to hear how things wrap up at the end 🙂

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    November 1, 2013 at 12:41 am

Hahaha I’m dying at your tree costume!

And I’m kind of dying at the rest of this post too because I’m so jealous. It sounds like such an awesome experience! I would love to do something like this, but I don’t know how realistic it would be for me to commute to Toronto just take this class, especially since it’s 4 hours. Maybe one day if I move to Toronto…

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia
    November 1, 2013 at 1:53 am

this baking course looks like such fun! i would love to take a course like this..but sugar and flour and i have such a long history together..i left them both at the alter lol

hooray for davida’s delights! i can already see the lights shine for you! #ManifestYourDesires #DreamsDoComeTrue

..and i actually really like your tree costume btw! you’re sooo cute! xx

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    November 1, 2013 at 2:46 am

If it makes you feel better I need to invest in black sneakers for my food lab next year. Good to know they sell them at Walmart. I’ll be your first customer if you do happen to open up Davida’s delights – or if you’d like to hire me I think Med school can wait!. You are more than equipped to survive the next 6 weeks, just take it as a learning curve and don’t forget to have fun. Can’t wait to hear all about your adventures. Everything you’ve made so far looks so professional (not to mention tasty)!

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    November 1, 2013 at 2:47 am

Oh and that halloween costume is totally normal. Parents just want their kids to be happy right? It’s creative to say the least! You were one tall 3 year old, my 20 year old self is jealous of that height!

November 1, 2013 at 5:34 pm

How small were you?!?! I feel like I was average height but maybe those were my glory days when I had a shot at being a professional basketball player!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table
    November 1, 2013 at 3:18 am

This sounds like my version of heaven!!! I love baking – totally worth the super long days (easy for me to say, right?). I’d love to hear more about what you learn!

November 1, 2013 at 5:24 pm

stay tuned for part 2! Also I feel like you’d make an awesome addition to our class lol

November 1, 2013 at 3:32 am

The class sounds like a great experience for you!! And I’m dying laughing at your comments about the instructor. You’re funny! 🙂

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    November 1, 2013 at 3:33 am

You look adorable now and then! And these classes sound amazing, you are doing such an amazing job!!

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    November 1, 2013 at 6:34 am

Since my poor stomach can’t handle any of these amazing baked goods (even our beloved Challah!), reading this post was pretty much torture. But I forgive you since you provide me with so many tummy-friendly recipes on a weekly basis. 😉

November 1, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Imagine BEING in the course! Although I do allow my stomach the pleasure and torture every once and a while 🙂

Jan Sproutsnsquats
    November 1, 2013 at 10:42 am

I love that name Davida’s Delights, you so have to call it that 😀

Sounds like such an amazing course and you did so well with all of those baking feats, they all looked incredible and so delicious. So glad to see an example of you stepping out of your comfort zone, very inspiring <3

eating4balance
    November 1, 2013 at 12:27 pm

But you made such a cute tree! Haha 🙂

You’ve just convinced me that if a baking class ever is offered around where I live I am going to sign up. I love baking and I think each and everything you’ve shared so far sounds like a great learning experience. Plus tons of fun!

I love your outfit and the steel-toed boots. Walmart is the way to go for everything.

eating4balance
      November 1, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I guess in a way I’ve taken a baking class though since we had Home Ec in 7th and 8th grade where I first found my love of baking and cooking. We made pancakes, cinnamon buns, no bake cookies, etc.

November 1, 2013 at 5:24 pm

You don’t need a class, you have the skills down! And clearly because now all I can think about are your cinnamon rolls!

Sarah Pie
    November 1, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I think you’re an adorable tree 🙂 I could certainly use a baking class… though I haven’t had one since home ec waaayy back in 8th grade. But if I could learn to make beautifully delicious things like you are I think I could be convinced.

Anonymous
    November 2, 2013 at 12:46 am

I just stumbled upon your blog today and this is so awesome! I’m taking a pastry arts program in Charlottetown PEI it’s a year long program though and I can relate to everything in this post! :). I can’t wait to check in and see what else you’ve made 🙂

Anne Marie.

November 4, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Thanks for stopping by Anne Marie!! I’ve never been to PEI but I would love to one day. Congrats on the program, so awesome you’re doing it full-time. I would love that but my work schedule is just too nuts. Maybe one day!

November 2, 2013 at 2:46 am

I love the idea of taking a cooking course. That’s really a fantastic idea. You’ll have to do it again and next time schedule it on a non work day so you can totally enjoy it. No eight hour work days before.
    I give you a perfect ten for that cake. Those aren’t lines; that’s texture baby.

November 4, 2013 at 8:41 pm

If only my weekends were so precious. I think it’s clear my job is getting in the way…time to quit? I think so.

Carla Bruns
    November 2, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Wonderful! As I said when you signed up for this originally, I would love to find something like this close to me. I wouldn’t even mind spending four hours in the kitchen after work. But alas, no such luck!

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    November 3, 2013 at 7:28 pm

So glad you’re getting so much out of it! I wish there was a gluten-free baking class like this, then I’d be all over it!

I LOVE the outfit. Almost worth signing up for the class just to get those pics 😉

Kim @ BusyBod
    November 4, 2013 at 12:03 am

I’m sooo behind on blog reading, but I’m so happy your course is going well!! There are very few people I can tolerate for 4 hours so I definitely get that sentiment, good thing you picked the right bench!

November 4, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Don’t even worry about it. Some days my bloglovin legit gives me an anxiety attack. More than a room full of annoying strangers for 4 hours. Thankfully the later turned out not to be the case!

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    November 4, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Ok, firstly, you were the cutest tree I’ve ever seen! Second, what an awesome idea to sign up for this course! It looks like tons of fun. I can’t wait to hear about everything you made!!!

November 4, 2013 at 8:34 pm

haha thanks Amy! My parents were ahead of the curve with costume design 😉 Hopefully I make it until the end so I can share more with you guys!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    November 7, 2013 at 10:54 am

Chef Steph? Seriously? Was she not BORN for this job?! Haha!

Loved this post! I don’t know a THING about baking so I think it would be so much fun to do something like this…as long as I didn’t lose any toes involving oven accidents! Yikes! And for the record, I am STILL drooling over that Bavarian creme! Gah!

Baking Course Recap {Part 2} - The Healthy Maven
    December 19, 2013 at 5:00 am

[…] step out of my comfort zone. Each week we tackled a new recipe from scratch in under four hours. In part 1 of my recap I covered the content, the people, the instructor and the outfit. Today I wanted to talk […]

cane corso
    January 9, 2014 at 4:46 pm

What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious knowledge on the topic of unexpected feelings.
    cane corso recently posted…cane corso

Single-Serve Grain-Free Apple Crumble - The Healthy Maven
    October 7, 2014 at 8:41 am

[…] crazy to think about how a year ago I was right in the middle of my baking course. It’s also crazy to think I was working full-time in a hospital looking at baby brains, but […]