fitness

Learning To Walk

October 10, 2013

Everything I do, I do with a purpose. I set goals and priorities and always keep my eye on the prize. My days are planned to a T and no minute is left wasted. This makes me feel accomplished…or so I thought.

My leg injury has put a lot into perspective for me. Not having a clear diagnosis has been incredibly stressful. That and the lack of endorphins I’m used to getting from exercise has put me somewhat in the dumps. The control-freak in me is having a hard time dealing with not knowing exactly how to fix the problem. Though in the last week or so I’ve started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. My leg is not perfect and by no means can I go for a run (don’t worry I won’t try!). But I am mobile and my legs can carry me to wherever I need to be, even if the destination is uncertain.
Enjoying the fall weather on a glorious walk!
I’ve had to learn to redefine exercise. I’ve always preached fitness as a means to achieving optimal health, but when your current fitness regime is hurting you, it’s clear something needs to change. So with my new-found focus on what I can do, I’ve discovered that I actually really enjoy walking. It’s so easy to forget that walking is a form of exercise.

The kind of walking I am talking about is not from one place to another or at a certain pace or distance. I am referring to the kind of walking where you are walking to walk. I set out not knowing where I am going or how long I will be gone for. In the process I’ve been able to clear my head and appreciate my body purely for its ability to move.
I like to walk with music. Too much time left alone with my thoughts isn’t good for me so music helps to prevent that. And just to toot my own horn for a minute here, I have really great taste in music. Initially I’d written a whole paragraph on how my music taste is better than yours, but then C told me I was drinking the haterade and probably shouldn’t say it so bluntly. So instead I just passive-aggresively told you…

If you don’t believe me I highly suggest you listen to this walking playlist. Put on your runners, stick those buds in your ears and enjoy the beautiful outdoors. It’s important to let go of the endgame and just enjoy the journey. I can’t think of a better way to do this than to walk.

Walk The Walk Playlist from TheHealthyMaven on 8tracks Radio.

We all love our 1348634 mile runs and #runchats but let’s not forget to walk! Next time you head out on a walk, let me know by hashtagging #walktalk on twitter/instagram/facebook/every other type of social media I’ve never heard of.

Do you ever just walk to walk? Do you listen to music when you exercise?

Kim @ BusyBod
    October 10, 2013 at 9:50 am

I hate that your injury has been so hard on you 🙁 but I think it’s amazing that you’re able to find the positive in it and really appreciate your body. I think it’s amazing how your relationship with your body can change when you shift your perspective (something I’m constantly working on). Walking is totally under-appreciated. I can definitely relate to how hard it can be to shut your brain off and just enjoy time walking and being in the moment. I should make it a priority to go on more walks and not talk myself out of it (or chide myself the whole time when I do go) because I feel like I should be law schooling instead.

PS – I do not doubt you have better taste in music than I do, I’m all top 40 and dance music. Super deep stuff! But I really do like all music so I’m enjoying your playlist for my morning study sesh 🙂

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee
    October 10, 2013 at 10:59 am

Of course I want your leg to get better but I am so proud of this positive attitude I am hearing! You are so right about walking. It is peaceful, relaxing and doesn’t even “feel” like exercise. I used to walk everywhereeee (literally everywhere) in Boston and I miss it. Thanks for the reminder that I don’t need to put on my garmin, run, instagram a pic and hashtag. Love ya long time!

Madison
    October 10, 2013 at 11:30 am

I walk with my friend Danielle often and I love it! It gives us time to chat and catch up–what I couldn’t do on a run because I’m so out of breath. 🙂 You have such a great attitude about working out and I’m going to focus on positive feelings and thoughts on my next walk.

October 10, 2013 at 11:45 am

Confession: I’m a walker, and I absolutely adore it. I used to be all about the hardcore workouts and didn’t believe that anything was beneficial unless I was drenched in sweat, but after having to give up intense exercise and adopt a more subtle approach, I can honestly say that I’ve never looked or felt better. I’ve been walking, powerwalking, and incline walking for about a year now, and I adore it. I’ll admit that there are definitely times where I start feeling like I should be doing more, but then I remember how freaking good I feel doing what I’m doing. Walking is kind of epic… it definitely doesn’t get the credit it deserves.

taylorbee
    October 10, 2013 at 11:51 am

so glad you’re trying to stay positive. I love to walk! my fiance and I go on 4-5 mile walks a couple of times a week and while it IS exercise, it feels more like a time to get out and enjoy nature, spend time together, and explore our area. it’s actually one of my favorite things to do! nothing wrong with walking 🙂

softserveandsquats.com
    October 10, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I’m a HUGE fan of walking! I began to appreciate it after suffering some running-related injuries of my own and still find it truly therapeutic. I couldn’t agree more that it really helps you embrace the journey!

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    October 10, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I love going on walks! I probably go on one everyday! Such a great way to clear my mind and just relax. My friend May and I used to go on regular evening walks (until she moved) and it was such a nice way to catch up and decompress about our day.

PS. Those pics are gorgeous!

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    October 10, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I’m not a runner but I walk every day…it really is great for clearing your mind, and it is still a perfectly acceptable form of exercise! If you had to hurt your leg, at least you did it during the autumn so you could have the best walking weather there is 🙂 I hope you get better soon!!

nicole @ fruitnfitness
    October 10, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I love taking my dog for walks. I always listen to music when I run, am at the gym but when I go on walks with Bentley I usually like to just listen to the sounds around us.

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles
    October 10, 2013 at 1:20 pm

When I’m at home, my family and I typically go for a walk with our dog after dinner, and those are the kinds of walks that we just walk and enjoy being outdoors without any goals in mind. It’s also just a time where we can enjoy each other’s company.

James
    October 10, 2013 at 1:27 pm

LOVE walking. In fact, I’m looking to move this year because I’m closer to the suburbs now and can’t walk anywhere! Even my co-workers called me the ‘wanderer’ haha.

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    October 10, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I’m glad to see that everything looks better to you now, keep positive and you’ll see how it will all be fine in the end! Walking sounds so fun, I kind of miss it now! And I’ll check your playlist right now, I’m always looking for new music to run to.
    Have a lovely day Davida 🙂

gottaeatgreen.com
    October 10, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I love to walk! My pup and I go for long walks and I just listen to music and enjoy the outdoors. I find it so relaxing to just walk around and enjoy everything around me. Walking around the streets of Toronto isn’t the same as walking around back home, but I am getting used to it. And I’ve found some good trails, which is nice!

October 10, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I’m so happy to hear that you’re keeping a positive attitude and finding a routine that benefits you right now! I never used to be much of a walker, until I got the dog – now his daily walks are some of my favourite moments in the day.

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    October 10, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Love going on walks, especially in the Fall and it looks like you have some really beautiful scenery to enjoy!

gschroer
    October 10, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I struggle with just walking. I’m a fast paced person so I think I just have a hard time slowing down. However, I’ve been trying to incorporate more of it in my life as I know it is so healthy for the mind and body. I think it’s great your getting out there and walking while recovering!

jessiebearwhatwillyou
    October 10, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Sorry about the uncertainty and your leg. Glad you’re stayin positive!

Jessica @ FromtheKitchentotheRoad
    October 10, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I love going on walks. I try and get my husband to go on walks with me all the time. We definitely don’t do it enough but it is lovely when we do. I enjoy going out and looking at the scenery. We can find a pathway or go to the lakefront. It is great. It also is a way to keep you moving. Win-win!

October 10, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I had never taken a walk for pleasure until I moved to Wisconsin. Now they are one of the main ways that I clear my mind.

Love you, hun. I’m sorry things haven’t been going so well, but I’m really excited to see you soon!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    October 10, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I love going on walks too! I also tend to forget that yes, they definitely count as exercise! Having a dog makes me more appreciative of walking and I also like taking walk breaks during the work day!

Brittany Bendall
    October 10, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Your photos are so perfectly fall! I do enjoy walking. I actually recently went hiking (which I consider a form of walking) and that was just so amazing. I think sometimes injuries can be a blessing in disguise because they force us out of our routines and make us become more creative. And yes, I need music when I workout!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    October 10, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Girl I am right there with you. Walking IS a form of exercise and though it may not make me sweat as much, I’m still burning calories and I’m staying in shape by walking. Or at least that’s what I’ve been telling myself. I went to the doctor today for my back and got X rays taken so we’ll see how that goes, but I’ve definitely been walking outside a lot recently. It’s so nice out too, which really makes them more enjoyable instead of “ughhhh I wish I could do more than walk” I hope your leg gets better soon! Take it slow and enjoy the walks 🙂

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    October 10, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I never dread a walk but I do dread running even though they both leave me feeling equally revitalized. It’s amazing how our perspective can change the way we feel about a certain activity. I love walking to class as opposed to taking the bus walking without purpose just to clear my head is even better! The fall is great for #walkchat because you can get lost amongst the beautiful scenery!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    October 10, 2013 at 5:14 pm

You are so wise Davida; I want you to be my guru! Let’s go walking sometime!!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    October 10, 2013 at 5:15 pm

The social media nerd in me totally digs the #walktalk. This post was just what I needed to hear, as not running this week has left me feeling down in the dumps.

Paige Podbelsek
    October 10, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Walks are the best! Glad you’re making the best of your situation. Also, aaaaadorable outfit! You’re precious.

Emily Kathryn
    October 10, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I loveeee to walk! Mostly with my dogs, but just being outside makes me feel so good. Walking is great for you. I love walking and talking with a friend/ walking around the mall / walking around my neighborhood. Great stuff! Enjoy walking! 🙂

Sarah Cook
    October 10, 2013 at 6:46 pm

You know, sometimes I wonder if walking is actually healthier than running. It seems like it’s less stress on the body. Of course, we would have to do it longer to achieve the same burn.

I walk my dog every single day after work and it’s really nice. I will have to try your playlist sometime to see how superior your taste in music is. 😉

p.s. LOVE that yellow tree.

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    October 10, 2013 at 8:32 pm

seriously, you should come with me on the trails. we don’t have to run them but just walk/hike them. it’s a great workout because they’re very technical so a lot of small and big hills. just hiking them will burn over 600cals!!! and the fall leaves make it SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

Miss Polkadot
    October 10, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Not to hate on running – how could I?! – but walking has its own magic to me. It makes me actually notice the beauty of the routes I’m choosing much more because they don’t “fly by”. And if I feel uncentered, have a lot too think about and relax it helps me immensely, too. Though I -do- like to listen to music or podcasts (!) and can focus on them much better than when sitting inside and being constantly sidetracked.
    Like you I had to shift my view on exercise due to (several) running injuries that – at times – kept me from running for months. It was hard at first but the more I walked the more at ease I felt. Nowadays I even deliberately choose to skip my runs and go for walks instead.
    If your taste in music is closely as amazing as your attitude towards the current situation I’m sure I’ll enjoy your playlist :).

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries
    October 10, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I absolutely love walking or hiking to clear my head or catch up with a girlfriend or loved one. Also, I absolutely love how you call running shoes “runners.” I will definitely be stealing that!

Jan Sproutsnsquats
    October 10, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Yes, it is so good sometimes to just walk. My boyfriend and I go on hikes sometimes, which after my run on Sunday I want to get back into. I do both walking with music and without. On my lunch break I bring my lunch to work and generally eat it in the office but then I like to get out for at least a walk to just clear my mind and give myself a proper break.

Sorry to hear about your leg but you have a great attitude towards it 🙂

October 10, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Random and off topic but I gotta say- I love the hat on you- only a handful of people can pull it off and you are one of them 😉

What a great post and enlighting not only to us readers but yourself- how your making a positive out of a frustrating situation and finding something new you enjoy- I love walking- and strangely, when I’m in a packed city area I love it with music, when I’m out somewhere serene, sometimes my thoughts are enough! Hope the leg gets sorted soon!

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    October 11, 2013 at 1:07 am

I love this post because I had the same revelations due to my knee/hip problems – I love to walk! And not only is it a great workout, but it’s so calming and therapeutic. I find running gets me all riled up, but walking leaves me feeling so at peace. It’s a nice feeling!

October 11, 2013 at 1:23 am

That picture of your walk is gorgeous – I’m a little jealous since we haven’t had any colored leaves yet!!!
    I hope that you are able to work out again soon but I’m so happy that you are enjoying walking in the interim!!!

Caitlin Evelyn
    October 11, 2013 at 2:11 am

I’ve been walking with my dog for years. But it took leaving home, and him behind for me to realize that I really enjoy walking for the sake of it. Music is a must for any sort of exercise in my books. Hope your injury doesn’t waylay you for too much longer!

Carla Bruns
    October 11, 2013 at 2:14 am

I need to get out for a walk. I do like to do it and sometimes feel like if I’m not running it’s not really exercise but that’s not true. I think I’ll go for a walk tomorrow. 🙂

That pic of you is just adorable!

Sarah Pie
    October 11, 2013 at 2:35 am

A new playlist to explore, don’t mind if I do 🙂 I’m sorry your leg continues to frustrate you, I know how hard it can be to have your health keep you from the things that make you feel healthiest, and I love that you are choosing to take a positive attitude and enjoy/embrace what is within your current limits!

October 11, 2013 at 4:46 am

Preach woman!! I hear you, injuries are incredibly frustrating.

One great thing about having a dog is that I’m pretty much forced to go for walks with her each and every day. We walk because my dog would be nutty hyper without the exercise, but I also enjoy the outside time and low-key exercise. A lot of the time I’ll take her for a walk at lunchtime, and it’s so nice to take a break from work to get some fresh air and enjoy nature a little.

Oh and also, what a gorgeous picture that is of the trees!

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    October 11, 2013 at 5:12 am

Good for you – what a healthy and balanced attitude!!! Sadly, I almost NEVER walk just to walk. I know how great it is for the mind and spirit, but if I have a short amount of time, I usually choose to go for a run instead. I hope this post will be a reminder for me to fit in a walk on the weekend or sometime when I can squeeze in a break!

Shawn @ Fruity N Nutty
    October 11, 2013 at 9:08 am

Congrats on learning to walk again! Glad you can still keep a positive attitude despite your injury. Looks like a truly beautiful place to take a walk and I’m really looking forward to trying out your playlist. Happy Weekend Davida!

Sammy
    October 11, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Injuries stink in all aspects! I don’t run 3,456 miles (usually my runs are more like 2 miles)! Regardless, I went walking with my girlfriend and our strollers (and toddlers lol) the other day and it was a wonderful change! 🙂 Looking forward to following your blog!!
    -Sammy @ http://www.peaceandloveandicecream.com

Heather Wilson
    October 11, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Great job hun for being so positive! I just adore you! I will pray for your leg to get better and hopefully the road to recovery and answers will come soon! Xoxo

Clearly, you have totally great taste in music and I am listening to your playlist as I switch back and forth from working to reading blog posts! haha : ) SO thank you for making my workday even more AWESOME!

A Fit Fashionista
    October 11, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Wow, fall there looks gorgeous!

nutritiouslysweet.com
    October 12, 2013 at 5:13 am

I loved this post! For me, since getting a rotators cuff and elbow spur, its been hard for me to do yoga, push ups or any tricep exercises without hurting myself. So I have to resort to other things like more “bodybuilding” stuff and cardio, which I hate now but walking sounds like a plan. I actually just made plans with my friend to go hiking! 🙂

Sky-Ann @ The Little Button
    October 12, 2013 at 9:36 am

Hi Davida, Thanks for stopping by and your kind words. Sorry to hear about your leg..I think your doing a great job. I hope it gets better each day and looking forward to seeing a post in your future when you can run again 🙂

Run like a G!
    October 12, 2013 at 12:00 pm

So true!
    We always forget that walking IS a form of exercise!!!

veganmiam.com
    October 13, 2013 at 12:52 am

I’m sorry to hear about your leg injury, but I’m really happy that you are creating positive vibes in your post. There are so many new things to do and try without thinking of one thing. Recently I read a sad article about this woman, she was a former test driver for Formula One and lost one of her eyes in a car crash. She committed suicide recently that week. I wish she could have done it differently. And I read more about other famous drivers such as the famous Italian Formula One driver, he lost both legs (one at & one above the knee) in a horrific car crash in 2011 and now he won Paralymic gold by training his upper body. His passion is racing, and without his legs, he still do it differently. His story make me appreciate life a lot more and explore more options, not just one thing he worries about, his legs.

I love walking with music, it motivates me to keep going and rock it! I’m a huge of electronic music, especially the Kitsune series. I also like walking with my partner, he’s my best friend and it’s nice to have company while walking. I don’t work out that much (and I wish I can do more stuff to stay in shape such as having a gym, etc), but I enjoy walking and exploring endlessly in different cities and countries and learning & seeing new things at the same time.

Have a great weekend, Davida! xx

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    October 13, 2013 at 2:32 am

I fully believe that walking is the ultimate workout. You can do it pretty much anywhere, and it makes you feel fantastic. Instant mood booster. I love walking while listening to podcasts. And if you do decide you are over running, so be it. I went through a similar “break up” with running a few months ago, not due to injury, but I just really burnt myself out with longer runs. I haven’t run more than half mile in months and have never felt better.

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    October 13, 2013 at 3:55 pm

It’s been a while since I just walked to walk. And I think fall is the perfect time for that! The leaves are changing and it’s so beautiful outside. I think it’s a good reminder to slow down.

Amy
    October 13, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Sorry to hear about your leg injury. I’m glad that you found something new to appreciate through the process. 🙂 Wish you a speedy recovery. take care.

Angie @ A Mother's Pace
    October 18, 2013 at 3:45 pm

What beautiful pictures! We love to walk as a family but I don’t do it very often just as exercise for myself. I’m excited to check out your playlist, thanks for sharing!!
    P.S. Sorry about your injury. Good for you for staying active while being injured! Love your hashtag too! 🙂

AmyC @ running escapades
    October 18, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I love going for walks with the dog and my husband. It just feels so good!

jillconyers
    October 19, 2013 at 8:21 am

A few weeks back to running after an injury and I can totally relate! Control, frustration, priorities, purpose…seriously sounds a lot like me. I love walking with my family. And I recently learned to embrace the walk! The first 3 weeks of running were run/walk intervals and I could either embrace it or fight it. Great read!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 21, 2013 at 2:05 am

Yes I think once my injury has healed my walking will turn into more of a walk-run circuit. I won’t pretend walking feels as great as running but with my abilities right now I’m appreciating whatever I can do!

femmefitaleblog.com
    October 19, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Actually – I never walk just to walk other than to get from one meeting to another at work. I run. That is what I do. I sprint, jog or walk/jog if need be but I am typically moving more than 15 mph. With that said – I plan to walk tomorrow with friends in the Susan G. Komen Walk/Run tomorrow morning bright and early at 6:00 am. They asked me to walk with them because her mother is a 10-year survivor. For HER I will walk and have no problems. Now I may run ahead and finish the 5K and return back for them but I do plan to WALK. Sometimes we are made to slow down to listen to ourselves and perhaps others.

And I hear a challenge – I actually believe I have the best walk/run playlist around. 🙂

Chris Mavromatis
    October 22, 2013 at 12:21 am

I could not agree with you more on how walking is great and important exercise! I am intentionally training my walking for my upcoming first 24 Hour race on December 31st. From the very beginning I am going to be running/walking to actively recover as I go. I will be running twice as much as I walk so as to have the walking have less of an impact on my overall pace, but it is still a valuable way to train. Walking utilizes your hamstrings and shins, while running works your quads and calves more.. so they are good complements. Plus racewalking (13:00 min pace and below) is seriously aerobic!!
    I do hope your leg heals quickly. I am just now completely (fingers crossed!) getting over a foot issue and it is so wonderful to be running, but it took a few months to complete beat it. It is very frustrating but also emboldens you when you get back to 100%! I hope it is quick for you.
    Oh and very cool top banner.. love it! : )

Chris

caren
    October 28, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Hi there!

I just found your blog via fitness friday. I see you’re a torontonian!! I grew up in Richmond Hill, but I live in LA now. We have a perfectionist disorder in common as well 🙂 So glad to have stumbled across your blog!!

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia
    November 9, 2013 at 9:10 pm

yes, walks are the greatest! and i love this walking playlist! so much new music for me to listen to..yay! especially loving hurricane, riptide, and the mother we share..so far..i’m not done yet though 😛

Epic Workout Playlist - The Healthy Maven
    January 28, 2014 at 5:02 am

[…] only thing in life I love almost as much as food is music. As many of you know I am a total music elitist. I judge you when I catch you listening to Tao Cruz on the subway, but no judgement is to be passed […]

Fitness Tips for Beginners
    April 13, 2014 at 5:17 pm

[…] having the motivation, do SOMETHING, even if it isn’t a traditional workout.  Go for a walk (Davida swears by these, and I agree, they are amazing).  Play outside with your kids, or siblings, or […]