Uncategorized

{MIMM} Weekend Recap 10/04-10/06

October 7, 2013

I know my posts lately have been a bit dramatic and sad so I’m happy to finally be back on the blogosphere with a more upbeat tone. Sometimes all you need is a perfect 48 hours with your best friend to remind you how wonderful life really is. I’ve known Dale since I was 8 years old when I still wore white and green striped onesies and she was homesick at summer camp. Fast-forward 16 years and we’re still incredibly close. I’ve re-typed this sentence 20 times trying to describe to you how much I value her friendship but words can’t sum it up. I’ll spare you my attempts, but I hope you are all as lucky as I am to have a Dale in your life.

We spent most of the weekend catching up over good food and gallivanting around Toronto. It was nothing short of perfect and I miss her already. Marvelous is having a best friend in your life.

The weekend started off at Safari Bar & Grill with some good wine and food. Highlight was the first froyo I’ve had in months. I know there’s lots of froyo haters out there, but I am not one of them. Then again I like anything I can top sprinkles on.

Saturday morning pancakes of course. Ginger & Pear Pancakes totally hit the spot. Recipe coming soon!
Midday shopping break at Rock Lobster. I wonder if it’s possible to NOT take a picture of the Cesaers with a lobster tail in it? I’ve been 4 times and taken a picture every single time. I think it’s my attempt at capturing how unbelievably good these are so I can stare at the picture until the next time I go back.
In honor of Becky, a little Treat Yourself Tuesday shopping excursion. I bought a new scarf and could not resist adding to my epic tea collection at Tealish.

After a very subpar dinner at Drake One Fifty (the new Drake Hotel restaurant) we took to the streets with what seemed like the entire Toronto population. It was Nuit Blanche, which is an outdoor contemporary art show that takes place across all of the downtown core. We stopped at a few exhibits including the Ai Weiwei Forever Bicycles presentation at City Hall. Look behind us and you can see how crazy the crowds were. It was a gorgeous night though!
This would be my Sunday food prep. A little Maven Butter for ya. I roasted 2.5 cups of almonds for 11 minutes at 350 degrees. While roasting I processed a cup of coconut in the food processor. When the almonds were done I added them, along with sea salt, vanilla extract and cinnamon and processed until creamy. And yes this is all I food prepped…I could probably survive off this for the rest of the week!
I really could not have asked for a better weekend. I can’t say I’m thrilled that Monday is here, but mentally I’m prepared for it. Now it’s time to start planning my next escape to NYC so I can visit Dale!

Thank you to Katie for being such a marvelous hostess! Check out Healthy Diva Eats to hear about more Marvelous Mondays.

Do you have a best friend? Are you a Bloody Mary or Caesar fan?

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee
    October 7, 2013 at 2:13 am

So glad you had a wonderful weekend 🙂 everything looks delicious and so much fun. I think you’re leaving this weekend too so let me know when we can have our next play date. Sending love your way!

Becky @ Olives n Wine
    October 7, 2013 at 2:15 am

What a wonderful weekend! And can I just say that you and Dale look very much alike? You could definitely be sisters <3 I love your new scarf - the pattern is gorgeous and it is definitely TYT worthy 🙂

October 7, 2013 at 2:31 am

Hooray for a great weekend with your best friend – sounds perfect!!!
    Love the new scarf – so cute!!!
    I don’t think I’ve ever had a Bloody Mary – I’m not a big tomato juice fan so I don’t know if I would like them!!

October 7, 2013 at 3:30 am

Your maven butter looks delicious!!

Sounds like a nice, rejuvenating weekend. I agree that sometimes all you need is a girls’ weekend. I even find that a long phone chat or coffee break can make me feel so much better if something is bothering me. Great girlfriends are the best!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    October 7, 2013 at 5:32 am

I’m so happy you had a great weekend! You really deserved it 🙂
    Also, I can’t wait for the pancake recipe and aw your maven butter sounds amazing! x

October 7, 2013 at 9:08 am

So stoked to hear your weekend went well- You deserve it my friend. We had ‘white night’ here in Melbourne a few months back- the art was AMAZING! I’ve had a bloody mary but not a Ceaser before! Although I admit, I would have most likely chucked out the drink and ate the lobster.

PS that food prep = amazing. Hope you have a great start to your week champ!

Jan Sproutsnsquats
    October 7, 2013 at 9:53 am

I’ve had the same best friend since I was 6 years old and I love her to pieces 🙂

I can’t wait for that pancake recipe, the combination sounds amazing. I’ve been loving my ginger lately.

Miss Polkadot
    October 7, 2013 at 9:54 am

Words will never be able to sum up all the feelings, memories and appreciation we want to show for special people in our life. Whenever I try to write them out – and I’m a huge fan of writing things down – I can’t help but feel it sounds shallow and just not enough. But enough of that: There’s really nothing like spending a weekend with your best friend to pick you up and make life look such a lot brighter again. Speaking from recent experience here, too.
    So awesome you’ve known each other for this long and are still so close. Friendships like this are a true gift. I hope Dale doesn’t live too far away or that you still get to meet each other regularly.
    Yes to the way you treated yourself! That scarf looks gorgeous and the tea flavours?! We clearly need Tealish over here, too.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 8, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Wish I could send you some tea! She lives in NYC which isn’t too far thankfully!

Kim @ BusyBod
    October 7, 2013 at 10:14 am

So glad to hear you had such a fabulous weekend! Sometimes I think nothing compares to what time with a best friend can do, especially when they live far away! Both of mine do, and it’s awful, but it makes the time together extra special!

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    October 7, 2013 at 10:53 am

YES! we all need a Dale in our life. i have 2 besties since i’ve known since grade 7. i’m 37 so you do the math! we make a point to get together 2 times a month; given our really busy schedules, it can be hard but we make the effort.

i have never been to nuit blanche — too cold! why can’t they have it in the summer?!

Joanne
    October 7, 2013 at 10:55 am

There is nothing like a good weekend with your best friend!! I’m so glad you guys had such a great time together!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    October 7, 2013 at 10:56 am

Your weekend looks absolutely fabulous! So happy for you that you got to spend it with your bestie! Here’s to a wonderful week to follow that wonderful weekend!

October 7, 2013 at 10:56 am

Now that’s definitely my kind of food prep 😉

So great to hear that you had a good weekend, love <3 Most of the time, time spent with close friends/family is exactly what we need to give ourselves a little boost when we're feeling down. I've known my best friend for about 15 years now, and although we no longer live in the same place, we still talk on a regular basis and I can always count on her to pull me out of my funks.

Khushboo
    October 7, 2013 at 10:57 am

Ooh I’ve never heard of a Caesar but I am extremely intrigued, especially given the sight of that lobster tail! Dale sounds wonderful! Fortunately I have a few “Dales” in my life who I cherish- sometimes the best medicine is time with a good friend who you can be 150% yourself with…no filters & no judgement!

softserveandsquats.com
    October 7, 2013 at 11:11 am

Your weekend looks absolutely amazing! There’s probably nothing better than friend time, good food, and shopping in my opinion! I’ll be on the lookout for the pear-ginger pancake recipe. YUM!!

Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body
    October 7, 2013 at 11:15 am

Saturday mornings are always the best morning for pancakes, it looks like yours turned out perfectly! I am looking forward to the recipe 🙂 I am glad you enjoyed your weekend with your best friend! 🙂

Shawn @ Fruity N Nutty
    October 7, 2013 at 11:36 am

Yay for froyo, how can anybody not love it? Looking forward to your pancake recipe, anything with ginger in it is bound to be simply divine. Spending quality time with good friends is the best, you’re so lucky you’re still close to a friend that you’ve know for 16 years. Hope I’ll be the same way with my friends as well.

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    October 7, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Weekends spent with a best friend are seriously so good for the soul, aren’t they? I’m glad you had such a good one! I have two best friends – one who I have the best soul-cleansing conversations with, and one who is my favourite person to galavant around Toronto and try out really good restaurants with. I know how hard it is when you live so far away from your BFF, so I’m glad you guys had this weekend together!

Also those pancakes look phenomenal! Can’t wait for the recipe!

Madison
    October 7, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I’m so happy that you had an amazing weekend!!! Spending time with a best friend always makes me so happy and rejuvenates me! 🙂

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    October 7, 2013 at 12:24 pm

My best friend introduced me to ceasars on Canada day so I think that sums up both of your questions! I’m so happy you redound your spark even just for a bit! Don’t be so hard on yourself if you aren’t in love with your occupation you can’t expect to greet Monday with open arms! My sister went to Nuit Blanche but I have never been!

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    October 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm

A lobster tail?! That is awesome. And I thought you couldn’t top bacon. I love pickled Caesars – they pour in a little pickle juice and garnish it with pickles, obvi.
    When I was in the Yukon this past summer, they had this crazy Sake-Caesar and a tequila caesar. I wish I would’ve tried all of them!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 11, 2013 at 4:11 pm

We totally ordered a side of pickled btw!

Say what?!?! Sake-Caesar…I might actually consider going to the yukon LOL

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    October 7, 2013 at 1:03 pm

It’s crazy for me to see you in scarves and coats because I literally wore tanks all weekend! You have me craving seasonal weather more than ever now. I love having friends whose relationship you just can’t put into words because you love them so much. Happy Monday Davida!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    October 7, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Looks like a great weekend! I have a few “best” friends, haha. I can’t just choose one! That scarf is super cute, by the way!

gottaeatgreen.com
    October 7, 2013 at 1:16 pm

That almond butter looks heavenly! Seriously love that stuff. Have a great Monday!

October 7, 2013 at 1:24 pm

PLEASE COME TO NYC SO THAT I CAN SEE YOU!!

Looks like you had a fabulous weekend. Best friends are an essential part of life. They just make everything better.

sara @ fitcupcaker
    October 7, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I need to make my own almond butter, looks delicious and easy! I bought two jars of maranatha yesterday so Ill wait until those are gone first (which will only be like a week or two!)

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    October 7, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Marvelous, indeed! And agreed about best friends – they are what get you from point A to B to C and D and back again, always. 🙂 Fro yo is always a good call, who can hate on such a beautiful gift from the food world?! Ah! I kid!
    Looks like a fun festival, albeit crowded as heck! That’s a bummer.
    Dude, coconut almond butter? Rebekah is going to lose it when I show her this recipe. 🙂 Thanks girl!
    When shall I pick you up at the airport? 🙂 Have a great Monday you pretty lady!

Mary Frances McNellis
    October 7, 2013 at 1:54 pm

That looks like SO much fun! I love froyo and so does my best friend:) And spinkles, of course! That coconut almond butter – oh.my.goodness. I could live off of that, too. Its a good thing you’re not one of those “no fats, not even healthy ones” type people (thank goodness!) It sounds amazing! Have a great week!

Em Kathryn
    October 7, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Aw so glad you had a great weekend with your best friend! That’s what they are there for =) I’ve known my best friend since I was 3. She now lives in California, but it doesn’t make a difference because it’s always like a day hasn’t passed when we chat. Have a great week!

Sophie @ life's philosophie
    October 7, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Wait…am I the only one who’s never heard of a Caesar? I’m obsessed with bloody marys, so I cannot imagine anything better, but whatever is in that picture looks AMAZING.

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    October 7, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Aw, a weekend with a best friend is the best! I’m so excited to have a day with mine this weekend 🙂 So happy you had so much fun 🙂

October 7, 2013 at 4:28 pm

So happy to hear that you had such a good weekend! Weekends with BFFs are pretty much amazing – one of the things I was happiest about with moving back to London is that mine is now only about 20 minutes away from me.
    And froyo is amazing. Thank you for reminding me that I haven’t had it in like 2 weeks and should get on that :-p

Tara
    October 7, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Okay, two things.

1. I know what you mean about talking about the same thing all the time, I do the same thing with creme brûlée but it makes me so happy I don’t know if I can stop?
    2. I can’t believe you saw Ai Wei Wei’s collection! I would love to see it one day but he never has anything close to me. Maybe this is my excuse to go to Toronto so we can be bff forevers (after Dale of course). 🙂

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    October 7, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Bloody Marys are hands down my fave drink. That coconut almond butter sounds like absolute heaven! Breakfast, lunch and dinner for sure 🙂

Caitlin
    October 7, 2013 at 6:28 pm

so happy you had such a nice time with a special friend! i have several friends like that and feel so fortunate to have them. i love that pic of you two in your scarves. looking gorgeous! are bloody marys called caesars in canada? i had a huge bloody once with customizable toppings. mine included asparagus and pickle! but a whole lobster tail, i have never heard of that.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 11, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Yup caesars are Canadian BMs but made with clamato juice. Um can we talk about how a DIY bloody mary bar is kind of my dream?

Shashi Charles
    October 7, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Oh my – Your Almond butter not only sounds MARVELOUSLY delish it looks so (screen) lickable!
    Conversations with dear friends is to the soul what alomnd butter and chocolate are for the tastebuds!

Lauren @ Sweat The Sweet Stuff
    October 7, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I like to make my own nut butters but my almond butter never turns out the way I want. What’s the difference between a Bloody Mary and a Caesar?

Lauren Clement
    October 7, 2013 at 6:36 pm

YUM! I need to make that almond butter!!

James
    October 7, 2013 at 6:37 pm

There are froyo haters out there?!?!?! Impossible. I mean, I’m not saying it’s super healthy, but you get to add your own toppings!! Pound of sprinkles? GO FOR IT!

Lauren @ I Had a Big Lunch
    October 7, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Whoa that nut butter looks incredible! I wish I was as creative as you haha I don’t think I’d even know where to start making my own nut butters, and even though you made it look so easy, it still seems daunting!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 11, 2013 at 4:15 pm

It’s actually so easy! The only thing I’m scared of is causing my food processor to blow up!

Melissa
    October 7, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Looks like a fun weekend! Good friends are hard to come by and simply the best. I cherish my best girl friends and I honestly don’t know what I would do without them!

Pear and ginger pancakes, yes please! I can’t wait to see the recipe!

-Melissa @ Fit ‘n’ Well Mommy

jessiebearwhatwillyou
    October 7, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Yuuuum that butter sounds delish!

Heather Wilson
    October 8, 2013 at 12:24 am

what a fantastic weekend! I have never tried a bloody mary before, I guess I need to try it at least once huh?

Robyn Coale
    October 8, 2013 at 1:19 am

My almond butter never gets that drippy!! what’s your secret??
    And I can’t wait for the pancake recipe!

Dixya
    October 8, 2013 at 1:56 am

I am sooo glad your weekend was just marvelous – i feel blessed to have great friends, makes life so much more better. XOXO

eating4balance
    October 8, 2013 at 2:32 am

Great picture in front of city hall!

I can’t wait for the recipes 🙂 The pancakes sound utterly delicious.

I guess I have a best friend… Sort of? Haha. Ya, I do, but it’s hard to stay in touch when we live in different places!

Beth Sheridan
    October 8, 2013 at 2:40 am

Don’t you just cherish those times with your best friend? I know it may sound cliche, but my sister is my very best friend. Even if we weren’t sisters, I have no doubt that we would be just as close…I don’t know what I would do without her!!

gschroer
    October 8, 2013 at 3:09 am

I’ve never heard of a Caesar before but I like bloody marys! The almond butter looks delish! I make one just like it and it’s so good!

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia
    October 8, 2013 at 3:21 am

caesar’s are the very first alcoholic beverage i ever tasted and loooooved! i’ve never seen anything quite like the one you ordered though – with a lobster tail in it..wow!

i really like the sound of your maven butter. did you say that you add the almonds to the already processed coconut? i think almond butter just got so much better! 🙂 #killerconcoction

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 11, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I process the coconut quite a bit but not exactly coconut butter (because that takes forever) and then yes, I add the almonds.

You should come to Toronto and we can get caesars 🙂

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    October 8, 2013 at 3:39 am

Thanks for sharing all your pictures from this weekend, looks like a great time. I’m the same way with sprinkles, load them on whatever I’m having for extra smiles!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    October 8, 2013 at 4:26 am

Aww, sounds like you had a fantastic weekend! I love that pic of you and your bestie! Having a friend like Dale really is an unmeasurable gift…and sometimes all you need is some time alone with someone who really “get’s” you to get a bit of an attitude change…ah, and well, I hear froyo can do the same thing as well! 😉 Glad you’re feeling better sweetie! *hugs*

PS, too funny, I was just thinking about my pear and ginger pancakes earlier today…one of the best combos I’ve come up with to date!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    October 8, 2013 at 11:43 am

Aw what a nice weekend! I think friend weekends are the best–I could girl talk for hours. I do have a friend like Dale and her name is Candice and we have been friends since middle school. We live in different states though so when we do get to see each other it’s extra special.

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    October 8, 2013 at 12:53 pm

You two look SO gorgeous!! I’m so glad you had a good weekend! And froyo is awesome! I don’t care what anybody says about it, in moderation it’s fine in my opinion! I’m lucky enough to have 3 really close friends. My best girlfriend lives in London though, and one of my best guy friends lives in Maryland, but I am lucky enough to have my other best guy friend 20 minutes away so I spend my weekends with him! Here’s to a great week, Davida!

Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen
    October 8, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I’m just like you- add sprinkles and I’m in. 🙂

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    October 8, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Ok that Caesar/Bloody Mary looks incredible! I’ve never seen anything like it before!! I like Bloody Marys but my favorite brunch drink is the classic mimosa!

Sarah Cook
    October 8, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I’m glad you got to spend some quality time with your bestie. It sounds like she cheered you up.

I cannot WAIT to see the recipe for those pancakes. OMG. And you say I’m wrong for teasing you? 😉

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    October 8, 2013 at 7:30 pm

What an awesome weekend 🙂 Its so nice having a friend who can completely turn your whole outlook around 🙂

Wasn’t Forever Bicycles cool? I saw his exhibit at the AGO so that was one of my must-sees!

Oh man that almond butter looks epic. I want a spoon and that whole jar in my hand 😉

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 11, 2013 at 4:23 pm

So cool! I missed his exhibit at the AGO but am hoping to see the David Bowie exhibit on now! And you better bet I’m eating it by the spoonful!

Archana@FeedingTheFoodie
    October 8, 2013 at 7:45 pm

best friends = best time! Loving the nut btter recipe – I could eat almond butter everyday too! I’ve never attempted to make it at home though. I just might try it since I have a ton of almonds sitting in the fridge.

Kierston @candyfit
    October 8, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Froyo! 🙂

Marvellous weekend indeed 🙂

Deidre
    October 9, 2013 at 1:26 am

Yum! Look at all the delicious food. It is totally amazing how much an old close friend can make a bad mood life, isn’t it?

Paige Podbelsek
    October 9, 2013 at 2:40 am

So glad you got to lighten up a little bit! Your trip looks like a blast. Friends just make everything better 🙂 Froyo can always put a smile on my face, though!

Sarah Pie
    October 9, 2013 at 3:20 am

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I’m a huge sprinkle fan too (you don’t have nearly enough on your fro-yo there) and an even bigger fan of great times with old friends. I’m so glad you gave yourself a nice break to rest and recharge, it really is amazing what kind of difference a few days can make 🙂

Julie
    October 9, 2013 at 4:12 am

I can’t wait for that recipe!

veganmiam.com
    October 9, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I’m happy that you had a fabulous weekend and sorry for the delay in commenting! The scarf looks so cute on you and that “Maven” almond & coconut butter looks amazing! My Wi-Fi was a bit rusty for the past two days! I could have sworn that Dale was your sister.

I love BFFs, and only have a few. One of them is in Portland, Sweden, and Thailand (a Danish living and working there). I miss all of them. One of my best friends visited me in Spain that summer, it was so lovely to see her!

I don’t like Bloody Mary’s that much, but it is easily vegan at most vegan joints/eateries. I’m a Mojito fan!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      October 11, 2013 at 4:30 pm

You should see Dale’s actual sister and then you wouldn’t think we look alike! They are like twins!

Your BFFs sound pretty worldly! Not surprised 🙂 Hope the Wi-Fi got sorted out!

Run like a G!
    October 9, 2013 at 2:04 pm

What a marvelous weekend!