Uncategorized

{MIMM} Weekend Recap 10/25-10/27

October 28, 2013

Like my header says, my blog is about healthy food, not-so-healthy food, fitness, life and finding some balance in between. I spend a lot of time striving for the ideal state of balance. Most of the time I miss the mark, but to be honest I think that mark is variable depending on what’s happening in my life. But I know I’m getting closer. This weekend is the perfect example of this. I can have several glasses of wine (and then some…) at a party and then wake up the next day and have an egg white omelette and get in a little hot yoga. I’m learning that life is not an either/or. It’s not about following a perfect workout regimen or cutting out different foods. Everything in moderation, including moderation. And I must say, living this way can be pretty damn fun! Let’s recap.

The absolutely wonderful and beautiful Amy from Long Drive Journey was in town for the night so the ladies hit the town! We had a fantastic meal at Destingo where it took me .2 seconds to figure out what I was ordering…Mushroom Risotto, duh! With a side of chianti of course.

And then this happened…For some reason I was prepared to celebrate Halloween next weekend, but when a last minute invite happened for a party on Friday I knew I couldn’t turn it out down. Thank you Ben for having a spare sailor costume in your closet! Late nights = great nights.

Can we talk about how stunning this lady is? And I mean inside and out. I’m so happy Amy was able to squeeze in a last minute breakfast with me before she hit the road. Can’t wait to come visit you!

The next 6 hours were spent at The Delicious Food Show downtown. If heaven is as I imagine it, it looks like this. I was fortunate to be able to work in The Pampered Chef demo kitchen where we made a super easy cream cheese cucumber dip. Thank you Heather and Gill for being so awesome! For a full recap of the event check out yesterday’s post.

That time we sat on the glass at a Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey game! I hate sports but I was legitimately sad when the game ended. For the record, we won! Could we look more Canadian?!?

And I had to resist my primal urge to jump Sidney Crosby. Why does the enemy have to be so beautiful?

Speaking of Canadian, since I live in sub-arctic temperatures hot yoga is so necessary. I recently joined Yoga Tree and have been loving it. A Sunday morning detox class totally hit the spot.

And a family dinner to top off a perfectly balanced weekend. On the menu: roasted rosemary butternut squash, pistachio encrusted scallops, green beans with almonds and apricots and white asparagus. Holy yum!

I might be partially dealing with the Monday blues after this weekend but mostly I’m focusing on it’s marvelousness! For a recap of all other things marvelous check out Healthy Diva Eats.

What’s making your Monday marvelous?
What’s your version of living a balanced life?

Jessica @ FromtheKitchentotheRoad
    October 28, 2013 at 1:51 am

I have so many things to say about this post! I love seeing the bloggers that I read being friends in real life. I read Amy’s blog as well. How did you get those tickets?? I love hockey. My dad used to play so I grew up around it. And finally, I love yoga.

October 28, 2013 at 7:52 pm

And I love you! I feel like we could have an endless conversation!

A friend gifted us the tickets. He is VERY generous!

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    October 28, 2013 at 1:55 am

You got to sit right at the ice! High roller statuss

October 28, 2013 at 2:13 am

Sounds like a truly marvelous weekend!!!
    So cool that you got to work in the Pampered Chef kitchen.
    And you are cracking me up with your comments about sports – sitting on the glass at a hockey game would be amazing (and hockey isn’t even my top favorite!).

October 28, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Yeah both were pretty awesome. And opposite sides of the spectrum too! Longest day but so much fun!

Sarah Cook
    October 28, 2013 at 2:29 am

You are so pretty!! I love that you get to spend so much time with Amy too. It’s neat to see the relationships that can form from blogging.

You had an awesome weekend. And I agree, the enemy is pretty darn beautiful!

thehappinessrecipeblog
    October 28, 2013 at 2:54 am

Your weekend looks marvelous. Happy Early Halloween! I kind of forgot how soon it was until floor mates were dressed in some “interesting” costumes. That final meal looks exquisite and good for you for volunteering at the Food show! I’m a fan of Pampered Chef and it’s convenience (when I am limited to microwaving vegetables). I’m not a huge sports fan but I never turn down seats to a live game. Your view was amazing… Happy Monday, hopefully it isn’t as dreary as you are anticipating!

October 28, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Exactly my sentiments. Who in their right mind would turn down those tickets! Monday is turning out to not be so bad. Hope yours is splendid!

October 28, 2013 at 3:08 am

You know what Davida? The fact that you often ‘miss the mark’ is the perfect example of balance- if everything was linear it would be counter productive.

SOOO glad you and amy (and amy!) got to hang out- You can tell by someones blog they’re one to be fun around and are down to earth- thats what all three of you portray and cannot wait to meet u guys soon 😉

Nice to see you being patriotic at the game….now back to the sardines…

October 28, 2013 at 7:54 pm

no to sardines…always!

And thank you for the first comment. No truer statement has ever been spoken! August 2014. Let the countdown commence!

Robyn Coale
    October 28, 2013 at 3:17 am

I can’t wait to start back up doing hot yoga this winter!! I always lvoe the way I feel when I’m practicing regularly. Looks like a relaxing weekend…nights that involve a glass [or bottle..] of wine are the best!

October 28, 2013 at 3:28 am

I’m pretty sure the fact that he’s the enemy makes him that much more attractive… It’s all about the forbidden lust 😉 And I’ve said it before but I’m saying it again… I live in the wrong place! You guys down east have so many more blogger meetups than I do over here in blogger no-mans-land. I wonder how much trouble it would be to just pack up and move… <-- wishful thinking.

October 28, 2013 at 7:56 pm

hahahaha exactly. I only wanted him because I couldn’t have him!

I think this calls for a trip AT LEAST to Toronto. OKAY?!?

Jessie
    October 28, 2013 at 3:35 am

Everything about your weekend sounds fabulous. All three of you girls are beautiful! I think it’s so wonderful how close the three of you are <3

Paige Podbelsek
    October 28, 2013 at 4:04 am

Your food posts just thrill me and make me so jealous!! Looks like a great weekend….I’ve always wanted to try hot yoga but am just a little bit nervous/intimidated…..I feel like I might pass out immediately!!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    October 28, 2013 at 4:39 am

I love what you said about things not being black/white…either/or…that is SO true and I really needed to hear that as a reminder. This weekend was not one of my best, but I’m looking to start this week off fresh and new and just forget about the last few days! Now if only I had had the weekend you had! So cool you got to work with Pampered Chef…I love their products! And for the record, I hate all sports…with the exception of live hockey games! And seats right on the ice are the BEST! So jealous!

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    October 28, 2013 at 4:53 am

Yay to a balanced life! More fun that way – and something I am also constantly working towards. Sounds like such a fun weekend! I’ve been to a few classes at Yoga Tree before and really liked them. Your family dinner looks delicious!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    October 28, 2013 at 9:24 am

What a marvelous weekend indeed!! I so need to sign up to yoga too. I have 2 hens parties this weekend which has been a reason for me not to sign up – when you sign up it is a 30 day pass and to miss an entire weekend of classes when I’d use it most due to a hangover seems silly so hopefully after this weekend I will be on board with classes too!

October 28, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I’d say partying is definitely a good excuse for not doing yoga 🙂 Let me know when you sign up! We can be yogis together!

softserveandsquats.com
    October 28, 2013 at 10:42 am

I completely agree that balance is all about moderation. And that’s such a beautiful dinner, those pistachio scallops look incredible!! Have a wonderful Monday my dear!

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    October 28, 2013 at 10:56 am

Everyone is always striving for the right balance, I don’t think you ever just “get there” – your body is constantly changing, preferences are changing, life circumstances are changing … that’s part of the fun of it! But I love your definition of balance, and completely believe it myself – there have been many a night with a few too many glasses of wine and a good healthy breakfast and sweat session the next day to help me feel great again. Gotta live it up and enjoy those moments when they come! Glad you had a fun weekend 🙂

October 28, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Exactly! I’m only 24 once! And I don’t want to waste my years away worrying about if I’ll get enough sleep for my training run. Of course these things matter, but I think it’s about making a compromise between the two! You are the perfect example of this!

Corinne
    October 28, 2013 at 10:58 am

Amy IS gorgeous – but so are you too Davida! Your mission to find the balance rings so true with me. Because that’s where both fun and happy meet, and can endure forever 🙂

Kim @ BusyBod
    October 28, 2013 at 11:17 am

Moderation for the win! I’m finding I look, think, and feel healthier as I let go of restrictions. I used to define how healthy I was by the things I didn’t do, but now I try to define it through the positive choices that I make.

Glad you had such a marvelous weekend! Don’t be so hard on yourself. Your intro made me kinda sad. I don’t think you are missing the mark on balance AT ALL!

October 28, 2013 at 8:00 pm

No!!! Didn’t mean to make you sad! There are times when I’ve gone a bit too extreme (more on the restricting end) which definitely was not me hitting the mark but recently I’ve found myself easing up and I’m finding I am much happier and feel as though I am actually leading a healthy life! What makes me sad is to think about the glasses of wine I turned down over calories or the bland chicken and veggies I ate when what I really wanted was the risotto. I love that first line. That’s exactly how I want to start living! I feel like I should get that tattooed or something on me 😉

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    October 28, 2013 at 11:26 am

Hot yoga in the winter is like, my favorite thing ever! It feels SO GOOD!!! I hope you nejoy the classes 🙂

Also, “Moderation” is WAY harder to actually achieve than it sounds! So don’t beat yourself up over it too much!

Madison
    October 28, 2013 at 11:29 am

I love the first bit about moderation needs moderation too! I feel the same way…I had a great weekend in Asheville and then came home and baked brownies, ate 2 (okay 3) of them and you know what? That’s okay! I don’t do that every night! Just maybe once a week…. 🙂

Shawn @ Fruity N Nutty
    October 28, 2013 at 11:30 am

You summed up the whole balance issue so well in the first paragraph. Glad you’re getting closer to the mark.
    Your scarves are too adorable!!! Wish it was cold enough here to wear scarves.

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    October 28, 2013 at 11:56 am

Oh man it sounds like you had a fantastic weekend all around! I love your thoughts on moderation, something I’m really working on right now! I’m a big sports fan, okay a big basketball fan, but I always have so much fun going to the games.

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    October 28, 2013 at 11:59 am

What a fun weekend, and so nice that you got to meet Amy!

Class was cancelled this morning, so I guess that’s marvelous!

Khushboo
    October 28, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Everything in moderation—> yes, yes AND yes! As cliche as it sounds, no truer words were ever spoken! Your weekend sounds wonderful and I’m not surprised you have Monday blues – always a sign of a good weekend! I was down with the flu so mine was hardly eventful! I guess the highlight of my Monday was guilt-free napping in the middle of the day- those meds make me drowsy!

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    October 28, 2013 at 12:04 pm

What a great weekend! I wish we could hang out in real life. I love that you don’t have that ‘all or nothing’ mentality. There’s no fun in that & it’s no way to live. I drank too much vodka on Saturday night, ate some really crappy food and LOVED it. The next day, I ate an entire package of bacon.

I don’t even know what point I’m trying to make, hahahaha. I like vodka?

Lee Hersh
    October 28, 2013 at 12:13 pm

YEAHHHHHHHH hhot yoga.

imthelittlemissfit
    October 28, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Ah what fun highlights and pictures! Everything looks like such a blast! Cute costumes 🙂 And what a good reminder that I need to make sure I get to a hockey game this year! They are always fun and exciting!

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    October 28, 2013 at 12:29 pm

HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO GET SEATS AT CENTER ICE WITHOUT GIVING UP YOUR FIRST BORN?! i love that you got to meet a bloggy pal of yours!! 🙂

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

Joanne
    October 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I’d say you definitely achieved an awesome balance this past weekend! Some splurges, some healthfulness and a whole lot of fun!

gottaeatgreen.com
    October 28, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Ok hoooow did you get tickets so close to the action! I’m beyond jealous. We are usually in the nose bleeds! And you girls look so lovely!! Looks like you had a great weekend!

mrsmurphyslawoffitness.com
    October 28, 2013 at 1:21 pm

It looks like such a marvelous weekend! You ladies look beautiful! I would say you are managing balancing healthy living and letting loose pretty amazingly! Keep up the good work!

October 28, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Cannot tell you how wonderful it was to meet you this weekend. Although every time I say that, I know that i should be saying “SEE” you this weekend because I met you months ago and I’ve loved you ever since! Thanks for showing me a little bit of Toronto and taking me to a trendy restaurant. I’d expect nothing less from one of my favorite foodies. I have crazy DOMS now so I’m currently writing this in bed with the worst internet access ever. It took me 20 minutes to scroll down to the bottom of the comments so I could put mine in. Pretty sure this will be the first and only blog I have the patience to read today because of that. Anyway xoxo, have a wonderful day!

October 28, 2013 at 2:08 pm

This loooks like a pretty fabulous weekend! I love the aspect of balance you talk about – I think people tend to see healthy living as a black-and-white thing, but it absolutely isn’t. It’s about balance – I drank a lot and ate a lot of cake over the weekend, but I also ate my veggies and got some workouts in.

Caitlin
    October 28, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Balance is the best way too go! Looks like a fab weekend! xox

kellyrunsforfood.com
    October 28, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Yay, what a fun weekend! I had a really great time this weekend too. I totally agree, you can’t live in black and white. I love my spinach and egg whites, but I also loooove my red wine! I also may or may not have eaten an entire back of veggie chips while watching Lifetime yesterday.

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    October 28, 2013 at 3:24 pm

What a fun weekend…as usual! I think it’s important to do everything in moderation. There’s no sense in limiting things and ODing on others. Life is about balance! Looks like it’s a bit colder up there in Cananda than it is down here, based on your bundled up look 🙂 I’m jealous. it’s supposed to warm up again this week…

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    October 28, 2013 at 3:33 pm

You were playing the Pens! My team!! I don’t blame you for wanting to jump Crosby. I used to nickname him Crosbaby. Lol. Then James Neal came along, he’s a little younger and a lot finer 😉 Looks like a super fun weekend. I was the same way with overindulging this weekend, and I woke up yesterday and ate an omelette too… and then a few hours later I thought I was going to get sick and the only thing that calmed my stomach was three wheat english muffins. So that was weird. But now I’m feeling good so that’s what matters!

James
    October 28, 2013 at 4:24 pm

geeze you had some good seats!! We do have a lot of pretty players on our team, so I can’t complain too much even when they lose :/

Lauren @ Sweat The Sweet Stuff
    October 28, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Looks like a great weekend! I totally agree with your point of view on balance! That’s what I’ve discovered over the past couple years.

Shashi Charles
    October 28, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Love this post Davida-balance is all about juggling the healthy and not so healthy and finding peace in between all of it! Love your eats and blogger meetups are the best! I have had the pleasure of meeting Dixya – and am hoping to meet many more soon!
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com

Lauren Clement
    October 28, 2013 at 6:24 pm

First paragraph hit the nail on the head. I struggle to remember this at times and then I get down on myself. Thanks for the reminder!!! Looks like you had a fab weekend.

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    October 28, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Sounds like an awesome weekend! Hockey is my second favorite sport (next to basketball) and I went to my first Avs game in the spring. All I wanted was to see a fight and about 20 seconds in two of the players were bashing each other in the face. It was awesome! I mean…um.. And one of the opposing players was trying to flirt with me through the glass. I liked hockey a lot more after that 😉 But you look so fantastically Canadian! And I need to go back and see that cream cheese cucumber dip?! What’s making my Monday awesome is that I have two hours of stats lab to go before I get to go to pure barre and then I get to go home…and study all night!

October 31, 2013 at 7:31 pm

yup, you are guaranteed to see a fight! One person was pretty injured in this game and had to be taken off the ice eek.

I’ll try to dig up that recipe for you. It’s somewhere in the black hole I call my purse 😉

Consuelo - Honey & Figs
    October 28, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I love your posts and they way you prove that you don’t have to spend the day at the gym and just eat “super healthy” stuff to lead a healthy life. You’re so right! I loike how you think that life is about modaration and should be enjoyed!
    I’m so so happy that you enjoyed your weekend, by the way! I had a pretty exhausting one, and it makes me glad to see that some of you enjoyed yourselves haha 😉 I’m so looking forward to this weekend though! x

Heather Wilson
    October 28, 2013 at 6:31 pm

umm, hello fabulous weekend! Looks like you had an amazing time girly and btw I love that orange fall colored scarf!

I am totally with you on finding balance and moderation in life. Granted working out and eating healthy is great, but lots not be robots. You can most certainly live a healthy lifestyle while still enjoying life and having a few glasses of wine here and there! : ) Good for you girly!

October 31, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Thank you!!! Totally agree. Where’s the fun in life if everything you do is planned. It was nice to let go of the reigns a little bit!

Brittany Bendall
    October 28, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I totally believe in balanced living! It’s the only way to go! Your weekend does look marvelous! Lots of fun happenings!

sara @ fitcupcaker
    October 28, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I’ve never seen white asparagus before..or maybe I have just never thought about eating it!

Brittany
    October 28, 2013 at 8:43 pm

AHHH what a blast of a weekend!! HOLY MOLY! I lovee the friend/blogger time, the event, the hockey game, ALL OF IT!! OHH man and I need to get down on some hot yoga..I haven’t been to a hot yoga class in almost a year!! AH!

Lexi
    October 28, 2013 at 9:25 pm

DAVIDA, I love it all!!!! A perfect weekend, and your eyebrows look great in that hot yoga pic (creepy? Oh well..) XOXOX!

Cailee Joy
    October 28, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Oooh yum! Everything looks tasty! Especially breakfast w. Amy! Seems like you’re having a great time 🙂

Dixya
    October 28, 2013 at 9:30 pm

perfect weekend. I would love to meet Amy as well..my idea of weekend is similar to yours 🙂

abby
    October 28, 2013 at 9:34 pm

looks like a fun and excitement filled weekend. the food all looks amazing. i too went to a last minute shindig this weekend and i opted not to go with a costume but to dress up instead. is it me or do those breakfast meals look ginormous and absolutely delicious!!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    October 28, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Looks like such a fun weekend! Sitting so close at a hockey game would be terrifying to me!

eating4balance
    October 28, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Your family dinners are epic! As soon as I saw the picture I was like “Are those scallops?” Um, yes they are. Fancy. I still haven’t had scallops. I’m sure they sell some breaded ones in a grocery store around me, but I prefer my seafood fresh and preferably un-chemical-ized. Haha.

Somehow I missed your post on the demo kitchen I think. Off to check it out now!

October 31, 2013 at 7:25 pm

hahaha they look fancy but were so easy to make! Scallops, lemon juice, salt and pepper and smashed up pistachios. So easy!

Kierston @candyfit
    October 28, 2013 at 11:55 pm

How fun!!!! Looks like a blast!

What’s marvellous is that I’m feeling great and well rested!

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    October 29, 2013 at 12:01 am

So busy! So much fun! I went to a hockey game the other day too!! We are just so in sync! 😉

Amy’s waffle by the way, FLIPPING HUGE! I hope she took one for the team and shoveled it ALL IN!! ha ha!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama
    October 29, 2013 at 12:17 am

My hubs would have died to have seats like that! More so if it was the Red Wings playing. He lives, eats, drinks and breaths that team!

Ellie
    October 29, 2013 at 12:51 am

What a great week you’ve had!!! And I can’t imagine what it is like to live in such extreme climate since I’m in good ole so cal~ 😛 and I need to try those pistachio scallops! They sound so amazing and unique, and I’m all about unique dishes.

October 31, 2013 at 7:24 pm

They were so good! And super easy-scallops, lemon juice, broken up pistachio and salt and pepper!

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    October 29, 2013 at 1:13 am

Man, what an awesome weekend! Blogger meet ups are seriously the best! Speaking of which, I can’t wait to see you next weekend! TJs here we cooooome!

I’m ashamed to admit this, but I’ve never actually been to a hockey game. *cringe* I know, how can I even call myself Canadian? To be fair, I’ve been to a couple Jays games though!

October 31, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Ahhhh put on hold but we’ll see each other soon! And no hockey games?!?! Even I’m shocked!

Carla Bruns
    October 29, 2013 at 1:18 am

Sounds like an amazingly fun weekend! I have never tried hot yoga but I would need to ask my doctor first because I have high bp. And that just seems like too much work. 🙂 However, I am one of those people who is cold all the time so it sounds a little wonderful to me.

Love the costumes!

Sabrina @ NutritiouslySweet
    October 29, 2013 at 3:28 am

I wishhhh I was in Canada right now 🙂 Looks like you had an a-MAZING weekend. I haven’t done a blogger meet up! But I’d so want to goooo. And as for hot yoga… I did it once. It was okay but not my fav in the slightest :\

apartment-wife.com
    October 29, 2013 at 3:51 am

that dinner looks absolutely delish- i’m thinking those scallops need to end up on my kitchen table in the pretty near future 🙂

October 29, 2013 at 6:11 pm

So easy! Squeeze a little lemon juice on the scallops, crush up pistachios and roll scallops in them. Top with salt and pepper 🙂

Julie
    October 29, 2013 at 4:30 am

Love that beaver costume! And I’ve always wanted to watch hockey in person – I’ve heard it’s so much fun!

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    October 29, 2013 at 8:35 am

I think it is so important to remember that a “healthy lifestyle” doesn’t just mean eating right and keeping up with exercise, etc., but it also means making time to do the things we love with the people we love. And you know what, sometimes that involves copious amounts of wine. So be it. 🙂

californiaendlesssummer.com
    October 29, 2013 at 1:50 pm

That family dinner looks divine! Boy I love those 🙂

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake
    October 29, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I love your attitude, Davida. And I totally agree with you. It is about balance.

And unplanned nights are always the best nights.

almostgettingittogether.com
    October 29, 2013 at 4:18 pm

SO JEALOUS OF THOSE SEATS. It’s my goal to get to Toronto to a Pens/Leafs game at some point. Are you addicted to hockey now?

Also… with these cold temps ALL I can think about is hot yoga too!!

October 29, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Epic game! Next time I get those seats you should join me…that might never happen but you’re still top of my list!

Sarah Pie
    October 30, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Those seats are AMAZING!! I’m so jealous (BF and I are going to a Blackhawks Vs. Canucks game in December and are seats stink!). The food and the friends look like fun too… but seriously those seats… I can’t even…

veganmiam.com
    October 31, 2013 at 11:46 am

What a lovely weekend recap! It’s lovely to meet bloggers in person and I hope to meet you in person one day! The roasted rosemary butternut squash looks fantastic! Mmmm!

handmade paper in jaipur,handmade paper manufacturers in jaipur,handmade paper products suppliers,handmade paper suppliers in jaipur,handmade paper products manufacturers,indian handmade paper manufacturers,handmade paper exporter in india,handmade paper
    July 24, 2014 at 3:22 am

I used to be recommended this web site via my cousin. I’m no longer positive whether this put up is written through him as nobody else understand such specific approximately my problem. You are amazing! Thanks!