appetizers dips gluten-free vegan

Peanut Butter Dill Pickle Hummus

October 25, 2013

I’m gonna need you to roll with me on this one. I swear I haven’t entirely lost my mind! Keep in mind my promise to you that I wouldn’t post anything less than stellar.

Peanut Butter Dill Pickle Hummus

On a more serious note, I have a very intense pickle addiction. Cue Buckwheat singing. The upside to this is that I am not alone.  The downside is that people a) think I’m pregnant (I’m NOT) or b) think I have some weird obsession with Snookie (yes I watched all 6 seasons of The Jersey Shore). Assumptions aside, I love dem pickles!

Peanut Butter Dill Pickle Hummus

If having a pickle addiction didn’t make me weird enough, apparently I also have an affinity for making strange combinations with pickles. I think it’s time I came out and admitted that one of my favourite snacks is pickles and peanut butter. If you like pickles and you like peanut butter, please do yourself a favour and try out this epic combo! Particularly in hummus form, or better yet a peanut butter and pickle sandwich with peanut butter dill pickle hummus. Yeah that’s gonna happen…Now I can forgive you if you don’t like peanut butter, but pickles? Nope sorry, we’re done.

I kid I kid. I won’t hate you forever! But let’s just say you won’t be joining me on any future foodie adventures. Particularly if they involve The Pickle Guys aka pickle mecca.

Peanut Butter Dill Pickle Hummus

PREP TIME 10 mins

• 1 15oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 2 T lemon juice
  • 3 T peanut butter
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 T dried dill
  • 1/3 cup pickle juice
  • 1/2 tsp salt

1. 1. Add all ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth.
  2. 2. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

**Side note. I ate this hummus with Nud Fud Green Energy Crisps. They are awesome! And no I wasn’t paid to say this…they really are THAT good.

Are you a pickle lover?
If you aren’t, can you at least name the movie I referenced in this post?

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    October 25, 2013 at 11:08 am

peanut butter AND pickles? YOU’VE FOUND THE WAY TO MY HEART. i don’t dis anything pickle-related because i love all things pickle and pickled. when i first heard about pickled watermelon, i was like YUCK! but then when i tried it, i was like, SHUTUPANDLETMESTUFFTHATINMYMOUTH. so after that lesson, i was like: give me all things pickle and pickled!!

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

eating4balance
    October 25, 2013 at 11:10 am

Whenever I think of pickles I think of Buckwheat in The Little Rascals. “I have two pickles, I have two pickles… I have two pickles, today, hey hey!” 🙂

No, I dislike pickles very much. But I can appreciate them because I know a lot of people who love them.

Haha. Laughed out loud about the pregnancy thoughts because it did cross my mind that ice cream and pickles is the wives tale “pregnancy” cravings.

October 28, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Looks like you guessed the right movie 🙂 So I can still be friends with you even though you don’t like pickles!

Madison
    October 25, 2013 at 11:25 am

This is crazzzzzzzy but I trust you…so I may have to try it! AHHH

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    October 25, 2013 at 11:25 am

Ok, so I’m really starting to think you are my long lost twin…especially after I just commented on that old post of yours the other day and agreed with you that the combo of pickles and peanut butter was not to be discounted! And the fact that you put it in hummus form? Well let me just share this with you: http://www.kissmybroccoliblog.com/2011/06/02/pbj-hummus-balls/ Hummus “cookies” with my favorite #strangebutgood combo! 😀

And now, I shall sign off with…I gotta pickle, I gotta pickle, I gotta pickle hey hey hey hey! 😉

October 28, 2013 at 7:24 pm

hummus cookies, little rascals, pickle everything! I think we may be long lost sisters!

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    October 25, 2013 at 11:43 am

I can honestly say I would NEVER think of combining those things, but I’m going to roll with this one and trust you! lol But I do love that you have these unique recipes!

Em @ Love A Latte
    October 25, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Ok, I totally love strange combinations and this one fits the bill! I love pickles. I’ll go in the fridge and just take a few out before dinner – just to snack. My husband looks at me like I’m crazy because he hates them. This looks like a super fun food and I know you only post delicious stuff. Have a fantastic weekend! 🙂

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    October 25, 2013 at 12:48 pm

You win the prize, Davida; this is WEIRD. but I’m sure very good 😉

gottaeatgreen.com
    October 25, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I’m torn on this one, Davida. Haha I don’t know if I would enjoy this combo. PICKLES and PB! What! I’ll trust you though… maybe, just maybe, this one deserves a taste testing asap!

Frances Stiles
    October 25, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I’d say this really qualifies for Strange, but it could be really good, too! I’m not a dill pickle fan. Wonder if I could substitute sweet pickles?! Make it even a little stranger?! Thanks, Davida!

Sammy
    October 25, 2013 at 12:57 pm

You’re so inventive in the kitchen – I would never even think to put these foods together! A+ for creativity and the fact that it tastes good is icing on the cake!!! I don’t really love pickles – but we can still be friends because I do love watching Snookie and JS! 🙂
    -Sammy @ http://www.peaceandloveandicecream.com

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    October 25, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I’m gonna go ahead and admit that I DO think you’ve lost it :). I LOVE peanut butter, and I LOVE pickles, but the thought of them together?!? Kind of makes me squirm! That said, as Laura knows, I’m all about the #strangebutgood thing, and this is so unique that I think I’m going to have to try it!

Also, I’m TOTALLY not “above” stupid TV (hello, I love “The Secret Life of an American Teenager” – the best! – and the Kardashians!), but I cannot get into Jersey Shore. Admittedly I’ve never sat through an entire episode, but I can’t watch for 5 minutes without rolling my eyes! Happy weekend 🙂

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    October 25, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I don’t like pickles…….and I can’t name the movie you referenced….PLEASE DON’T HATE ME (ok you can hate me but just for today I hope).

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    October 25, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Ok I think I might have to trust you on this one . . .I love PB. Dill pickles, I eat but I usually am good with just one and they have to be pretty high quality (the soggy kind you get with a sandwich doesn’t cut it). I’m sure you’ve been to Katz Deli? Their pickles are amazing!

October 28, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Oh of course I have 🙂 Next time you’re there go around the corner to the pickles guys…it’s pickle heaven!

charlotte @ commitness to fitness
    October 25, 2013 at 1:56 pm

omg this sounds right up my alley! i LOVE pickles. in fact theres this lunch place that makes their tuna with house made gerkins and i would go sooo far out of my way just to go. however, then they stopped putting the pickles in and i stopped going. pickles can make or break a meal! just sayin, i totally get it 🙂

Sophie @ life's philosophie
    October 25, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Omg. You stole my heart with this recipe. I LOVE pickles. Like I can easily finish off a jar in a couple days. Oh and I love me some little rascals. I’m going to have to try this out!

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    October 25, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Of course you’re not pregnant, I haven’t gotten an invitation to a baby shower, so duh! Ha, I kid.
    Um, while this definitely sounds unique, it more so sounds amazing. Anything with pickles is delicious and this would definitely make an otherwise bland and boring dish (hummus) very yummy. Can you tell I’m over hummus? But you may have brought my love for it back… Have a lovely weekend you beautiful creature you!

October 28, 2013 at 7:34 pm

You’ll be the first one to know! Even before the father who is TBD.

Note to self not to post another hummus recipe soon! So what kick are you currently on so that I can tailor all future blog posts to it!

Kim @ BusyBod
    October 25, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Bahaha love the Buckwheat reference and I’m so happy I’m not the only one who still sings that song 🙂 More on topic, as a fellow pickle lover, I think this sounds delicious!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    October 25, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I love pickles and I love peanut butter (and hummus too), so this needs to happen soon. It sounds super weird but if you say it’s nice, I’ll believe you and try it! After all, ingredients this awesome can only yield spectacular results! Happy Friday 😀

October 28, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Exactly! People are hating on the recipe but when you combine three amazingly delicious foods how can the result not be equally if not more amazing!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    October 25, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Oh Davida, I really wish I could be like, this is going to be the best hummus ever! But I just can’t. Pickles and Angie just don’t mix unfortunately. BUT I have a feeling this hummus would be a pregnant woman’s dream come true. Perhaps you should send some over to Linz?

Dixya
    October 25, 2013 at 4:05 pm

i have heard so much about this combination but have not yet dared to try it..is it really that good????

October 28, 2013 at 7:39 pm

It’s pretty damn good! I wouldn’t say it will blow your socks off but maybe it just might cause the ingredients are pretty wacky but it still tastes awesome!

October 25, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I’m so conflicted on this recipe. I love peanut butter and I love pickles, and I love hummus. But combining all three? I can’t decide if you’re a genius or just crazy 😉

Alisha @ AlishasAppetite
    October 25, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Girlfriend my jaw is still to the ground since I read the title of this post and as I’m typing (with a smile, you know like tthe half open mouth smile thing?? haha!). This sounds crazzzyyyy!! But I’m really intrigued- I think before I commit to the hummus I need to try this combo first. So internally conflicted!!!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    October 25, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Not gonna lie, this is the most random combination ever! I don’t even know how you came up with this idea, but I’ll trust you if you say it’s tasty. Your love of pickles reminded me of the funniest/most random admission essay I ever got. It was from a girl who wrote all about how she was addicted to drinking pickle juice right from the jar. It was super funny.

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    October 25, 2013 at 5:51 pm

OKAY WEIRD. I don’t know how I feel about this…… It kind of creeps me out, however you always make delicious things so I don’t doubt you when you say it’s delicious!

Rachel
    October 25, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Honestly, when I first saw this post I thought immediately of a weird pregnancy craving. I’m so afraid that one day I’ll end up with those kind of weird cravings. I’m trying really hard to imagine how or if this could be good – and you’ve got me (and apparently the rest of us) intrigued.

Ever tried making your own pickles? I think I read somewhere that pickled vegetables are good for your gut. Or maybe I just want them to be since I sometimes eat a lot of them and convince myself they’re good for me.

October 28, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I have made my own pickles once! It wasn’t too difficult but I guess I’m just lazy and end up buying them! And yes they are good for your gut…more reason to support my pickle addiction!

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    October 25, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Hey hey Little Rascals 😉 Ok, so I LOVE pickles…especially cornichons! They are my absolute favorite salty snack and I can eat an entire jar at one time (which I have done..many, many times)…so I’m willing to try this! It should be a FSM movie night food 😉

October 28, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Of course you knew it was The Little Rascals 🙂 I’ll start stocking up on pickles for our movie night!!!

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    October 25, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I LOVE pickles- like can easily polish off a jar myself in a few days. The garlickier the better. I could totally get with pickle hummus! Not sure what I think about the pb in it but I won’t knock it til I try it! 😉

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    October 25, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Haha this definitely sounds a little crazy but I love salty things which is why I love pickles and peanut butter, so I bet I’d like this!

October 25, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I love pickles (only dill) but I’m not sure if I can wrap my mind completely around peanut butter in the hummus. I actually pinned this and might give it a try – see if people can figure out the “secret” ingredients!

October 28, 2013 at 7:48 pm

That’s brilliant! I’m putting this out at my next dinner party and seeing if people can guess what I made!

Heather Wilson
    October 25, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I <3 Pickles!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table
    October 25, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I have to confess… I used to eat PB-mayo-banana sandwiches as a kid. With a side of pickles. So yes, I’d try this… with relish. 😉

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia
    October 25, 2013 at 9:54 pm

this is strange. i mean, i’ve seen quite a few #strangebutgood recipes that i would never ever eat..but your dish actually looks pretty good. i love dill pickles, peanut butter, and hummus..but i’m still a little unsure about this lol

October 25, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I can attest that the pb and pickle combination works- when I was in NYC at the PB and CO sandwich shop, I ordered the pregnant lady sandwich- pickles and pb 😉

LOVE pickles. I steal my mum’s homemade jars and go through it like water…vinegar water.

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    October 25, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I’ve always heard that peanut butter and pickles go well together, but adding hummus to the mix.. now I really have got to try this!

October 28, 2013 at 7:45 pm

You must! I thought the idea was crazy until I put it together and it totally blew my mind!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl
    October 26, 2013 at 12:20 am

This is totally right up my alley. I actually enjoy pb and pickle sandwich, so I imagine that I would love this!

Erin S
    October 26, 2013 at 12:38 am

My grandma used to make us peanut butter and pickle sandwiches! I love the flavour combination. Can’t wait to try your hummus 🙂

Run like a G!
    October 26, 2013 at 1:39 am

Hi Davida!!!
    I haven’t been on Bloglovin’ in forever so I am catching up!!!
    I LOVE pickles as well! I also love PB but I don’t know if I could ever try the two…… I will have to think about that! lol!!!

Jessie
    October 26, 2013 at 4:05 am

This is by far one of the strangest recipes I’ve seen, but because I know you would never share something gross, I’ll take your word that it’s delicious. I mean, can a recipe involving peanut butter really ever be bad? 🙂

Khushboo
    October 26, 2013 at 6:27 am

Ok so I looove peanut butter, hummus & pickles separately but I don’t know if I can handle them 3 together! However given your track record, I’m willing to give it a shot- the picture alone has me intrigued :D!

Kulwant
    October 26, 2013 at 9:02 am

Peanut butter is a great addition to diet, specially if you are bored with the regular butter. Plus, it has protein, which makes it a better butter for bodybuilding.

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    October 26, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I looove pickles too! This combo sounds kind of crazy, but I trust your tastebuds. 😉 Also I adore Nud Fud crisps too!

October 28, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Love me some nud fud! I think it made it even stranger because they taste like bananas but I swear the combo was delish!

veganmiam.com
    October 26, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Love pickles and hummus! Both work together pretty well! I love these kosher ones by Bubbies 🙂 my favorite pickle jar!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    October 26, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I’m not a huge pickle fan but I do love olives because of the salty factor. My best friend on the other hand can buy a huge jar of pickles and would gladly eat the whole thing. Great looking recipe 🙂

almostgettingittogether.com
    October 27, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I’ve never tried pickles and peanut butter… but I love both. I might have to try this, I’ve been on a hummus kick lately!

Nicole @ Foodie Loves Ftiness
    October 27, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Peanut butter and pickles?! Hahaha that must be one of those weird but wonderful combos! Can’t say I’ve ever tried it before. I must confess that I think pickles are okay, but I’ve never understood what all the obsession is about. Please still be my blogger friend! 😉

Mary Frances McNellis
    October 27, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I don’t know if I have the guts to try this! I would love to make this and have someone try it without letting them know what is in it and see if they like it:) I think I’ll have to make this, simply out of curiosity!

October 28, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I wish you could just come over and try some! Why do you have to live so far?!?!

Sarah Pie
    October 28, 2013 at 12:48 am

I don’t know about this… I’ll admit that the title raised my eyebrows a bit 🙂 Then again the girl I shared a desk with in 5th grade ate a peanut butter, cheese, and pickle sandwich every single day… so maybe I shouldn’t knock it until I try it?

October 28, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I definitely wouldn’t knock it! The girl you shared a desk with knows what’s up!

Christie A
    October 29, 2013 at 5:28 am

I’ve never tried pickles and peanut butter before but I love hummus! I might just have to try this one. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

kissesandkale.blogspot.com

November 2, 2013 at 2:29 am

I think you should win the Strange But Good award for this one. This is off the charts crazy. I love pickles and I love peanut butter, although I don’t think I could do this one. Sorry; forgive me. It’s me, not you. I swear. I can be a food sissy. I’ll happily eat them separately though. 🙂

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    November 3, 2013 at 8:01 pm

While I’m questionning your sanity on this one a bit, I am definitely with you on liking weird food combinations- so I will give this a go! I mean I love PB and pickles, I love sweet and savoury together, so why not!

And omg yes I love nud fud 🙂