chips Fall gluten-free paleo snacks vegan

Pumpkin Spice Plantain Chips

October 2, 2013

I hate to admit this, but I’ve always been a trend-follower. I just had to have the newest Beanie Baby, light up shoes and Spice Girls paraphernalia. For the most part I truly believe there is a reason something becomes trend-worthy, usually because it’s actually good. Except for furbies…mine annoyed the hell out of me and I ended up throwing it out of a tree house after a week.

Pumpkin Spice Plantain ChipsThings are no different in the foodie world. Charlotte did an awesome post the other day on Food Trends & Buzzwords. She talked about how things change dramatically in the food world with each decade. Though I don’t necessarily buy into the diet-du-jour, I do have a habit of obsessing over the-next-best-thing. I’m looking at you Quest Bars…
Pumpkin Spice Plantain ChipsI swear I liked pumpkin (pumpkin spice etc…) before it became the phenom that it is, and I promise I had cooked a plantain before Purely Twins made them all the rage. Whether I got there first or not, I am full-on buying into these trends. And just to show you how proud I am to be a follower I figured I’d combine the two. If you can’t be a leader, may as well be a follower! I just gave the Head Master from my all-girls High School a hernia with that comment…

Pumpkin Spice Plantain Chips

PREP TIME 5 mins

• 2 plantains
  • 2 tsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/8 tsp cloves
  • 1 tsp coconut palm sugar
  • sprinkling of sea salt

1. 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. 2. Peel and slice plantains thinly.
  3. 3. Place in bowl and pour melted coconut oil on top. Mix well with hands.
  4. 4. Add in spices. Continue mixing with hands.
  5. 5. Individually line onto baking sheets lined with parchment or a silicone mat (will need 2 baking sheets). Do not overcrowd.
  6. 6. Sprinkle with sea salt.
  7. 7. Roast in oven for 20-25 mins, or until crispy. Watch carefully as they burn easily.
  8. 8. Keep in an airtight container on counter for several days.

Food trends, do you buy into them? Have you ever tried a plantain?
    nutritiouslysweet.com
    October 2, 2013 at 9:32 am

Wow this is an interesting combo! As a Latina… we always just eat em’ with salt or garlic but that’s it. Or in Brazil they eat it with cinnamon sugar…mmmm 🙂

October 2, 2013 at 10:09 am

I tend to try out new food trends to see all the hype, but unless it truly is amazing, I don’t tend to follow…although kabocha and pumpkin are the exceptions! I am yet to find plantains here, but do you reckon it’ll work with an unripe banana? (thinking plantains are just less sweet bananas?)

October 7, 2013 at 12:24 am

mmmm don’t think it will work with an unripe banana purely because of texture. Plantains are much thicker and harder in texture which allows them to become more chip like.

taylorbee
    October 2, 2013 at 10:48 am

pumpkin and plantains…. brilliant!! looks like such a delicious combo.

Madison
    October 2, 2013 at 11:10 am

I used to loveeee Beanie Babies! haha who knows where those things are now??? I’ve had plantain once and it was so good–need to try these puppies!

October 7, 2013 at 12:24 am

I just gave all my beanie babies away! And to think we thought they would be worth something one day….

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers
    October 2, 2013 at 11:15 am

I’ve never made my own plantain chips, but it sounds like a great flavor combo!

October 2, 2013 at 11:28 am

I have yet to try out a plantain, but I’m pretty sure this is the route I’d take for my first experience — you can never go wrong with the combination of coconut and cinnamon. As for food trends, I do tend to try things out eventually, but I’m always waaaaaaaaay late with jumping on band wagons, and there are certain ones that I tend to avoid altogether.

Lora @ Crazy Running Girl
    October 2, 2013 at 12:26 pm

These sound amazing!! I love plantains, they are sooo tasty!!

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    October 2, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Thanks for the simple (and I’m sure) delicious recipe- I have everything but the plantains! Looks like I’ll be making a stop at the store when I get off of work 🙂

charlotte @ commitness to fitness
    October 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm

thanks for the shout out!! these look delicious!! i havent had a plantain in maybe a year? they’re so good, and with pumpkin spices? i will definitely jump on this trend with you! i follow trends too, its hard not to get caught up in them in my opinion 🙂

Kierston @candyfit
    October 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I just want to grab a chip right out of my screen!

James
    October 2, 2013 at 1:10 pm

omg beanie babies!! I think I still have mine in a box hidden away somewhere…no idea why ha.

These look crazy good. I feel like I would crush that entire bowl in about 10 seconds.

October 2, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I tried plantains for the first time in Puerto Rico. I had a dish called Mfongo. It was really, really good! I didn’t think I’d like the taste because I hate bananas so much. I love that you can make a chip or a crisp out of anything. I still need to try those apple crisps. I saw a bag of them at the apple orchard this weekend and thought of you. I should have sent you some! 🙂

October 7, 2013 at 12:26 am

I saw them too when Amy and I went picking! But then I laughed and stared at my bag of apples with a big dream ahead to turn them into chips. Luckily they worked out!

Sarah Pie
    October 2, 2013 at 1:17 pm

If you follow two leaders you must be going somewhere good, right!? These sound amazing and it might be worth searching out some plantains to try them 🙂

veganmiam.com
    October 2, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Love fried plantains, they remind me of “tostones”, which are fried green plantains and also considered a savory side dish that accompanied the green salsa sauce. They are a huge staple in most Latino households including Colombia! Do you know there are few different kinds? Green = savory, yellow = sweet and can be eaten raw. When I was dining in Colombia, I noticed a few locals would use actual raw bananas in their soups for a bit of sweetness. Weird, right?

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    October 2, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Haha, girl, furbies were super annoying! Though, I think I still kept mine intact… I also obsessed over Pokemon cards and Tamigotchis (SP!?!). YES! I loved Charlotte’s post because it’s so true. People in my office are constantly talking about trends and it drives me crazy because they just can’t see the big picture of that trend – making something that’s naturally full of fat (peanut butter) fat free or low fat is just wrong. I just actually was on my soap box to my cube mate and she ended up walking away… Ha I don’t blame her. Anyway, I am not a fan of plantains but these still look really yummy and pretty! 🙂 Have a lovely day my beautiful Canadian friend! 🙂

October 7, 2013 at 12:28 am

omg tamogachis!!! Who even knows how to spell them! Don’t even get me started on the rants I give to my co-workers. I lure them in with good food and then lecture them lol

And you are too sweet my stunning southern belle!

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    October 2, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    October 2, 2013 at 1:34 pm

You have to stop making delicious recipes that I want to make RIGHT THAT SECOND! (OK, don’t really stop!). I have some plantains that need to be used right now … since I followed right along with the Purely Twins food trend and had to try their plantain socca (delicious, by the way!). So yes, I definitely follow along! Chia seeds, kale, Greek yogurt, brussels sprouts, nut butter, pumpkin … all my diet staples seem to be trends. Oh well, I’m a proud follower like you :).

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    October 2, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Ok confession time: I’ve never tried plantains….eeek! These sound freaking amazing so that’s clearly all about to change.

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    October 2, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever tried a plaintain, but I do tend to buy into food trends. I can’t help it! Along with other trends….minus the Furbie. HATED the Furbie.

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    October 2, 2013 at 1:56 pm

plantain is the food of my peeps (i’m chinese jamaican) so it’s a regular thing in our family…well, not in my immediate family because they’re not the healthiest (when cooked with all the goodness my aunts make it with) but when we’re at family dinners, it’s all about the fried plantain!!!!

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    October 2, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I am laughing as I read the first part of this post. I think we would have been best friends in the 90s! And I also hated furbies.

I’d say you were setting a new trend by combining the two in your recipe 😉

October 7, 2013 at 12:30 am

Never too late! I’m actually disappointed in humanity for ever liking those things!

Sarah @ Sweet Miles
    October 2, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Mmm girl these look delicious!!! Anything pumpkin has my name written all over it 🙂

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    October 2, 2013 at 2:08 pm

My husband absolutely adores plaintains and I’m sure he would love this recipe. Honestly, you could have just posted this and said I’m the leader in pumpkin and plantains and I would’ve believed you! 🙂 Great recipe!

Run like a G!
    October 2, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I loved the Spice Girls! I was obsessed with them!!!!
    The other day I was showing my husband your blog because of all your amazing food recipes, I think he fell in love. Plus I told him how you love Quest Bars…he is addicted to Quest Bars 🙂

October 2, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Thank you for admitting that you jump on foodie bandwagons…because I’m definitely one to follow a trend too :-p Although, my 8-year-old self is extremely upset at you for disowning your Furby…I wanted one of those so badly when I was a kid!
    And now I need to buy plantains. Yup, foodie trend follower over here…

gottaeatgreen.com
    October 2, 2013 at 2:40 pm

LOVE plaintains. I haven’t had them in ages.. I definitely need to make these! And I also hated furbies.. so creepy.

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    October 2, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I have the same bowl as you so I think it’s only fitting that I make plaintain chips to go inside! Believe it or not I’ve never made plaintain chips but I recently started buying a brand from Longos and have fallen in love. I was always hesitant to try them because I don’t like banana chips but they taste nothing like them! And I totally jump on foodie bandwagons but why not because if others like it, there is a great chance I will too! Of course I don’t force myself to like everything (coconut water, kombucha) but it’s open my eyes to a lot of yummy recipes and foods I never had heard of or would have thought to try on my own!

October 7, 2013 at 12:32 am

I was gifted it from a friend and I absolutely love it! I agree we should have matching bowls with matching plantain chips 😉

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    October 2, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I have been getting plantain chips, pre-made, from jungle jims. They are my boyfriends favorite snack. These sound really easy, I really should try making them on my own. I’m sure they are better for you than the store bought ones.

Dixya
    October 2, 2013 at 3:46 pm

plantain chips are soooo happening. I have never eaten this before but since its crunchy and has spices – I will love it I think.

healthnutjulie.com
    October 2, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Ahh so much pumpkin lately, I love it! This is such a different spin on it, which is great 🙂 Looks absolutely delicious!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    October 2, 2013 at 4:04 pm

My friend is very into hispanic things and she introduced plantains to me a while ago but I never really hopped on the plantain train until recently and I will admit it’s because of Purelytwins. I am obsessed now and I will own up to my foodie trend following habits. These look super yum!

October 2, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I’m about as untrendy as they come – growing up I never had the current trends and I’m still OK with that – even with food.
    I’m one of those odd people who doesn’t like pumpkin and I’ve never tried plantains so I don’t have any thoughts there – maybe I should try some.

softserveandsquats.com
    October 2, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Plantain chips are so good! Your idea for a pumpkin spice version is brilliant!

Sarah Cook
    October 2, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Some trends are worth following…clearly. These look delicious! I love plantains.

And I think throwing your Furbie out was the best decision you’ve ever made. 🙂

kellyrunsforfood.com
    October 2, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I’ve only had plain plantain chips, but I love them! I’ve only had plantains when I’m in Mexico or the Caribbean, but I should definitely buy them here sometime!

Caitlin
    October 2, 2013 at 8:12 pm

these look AAAAAmazing!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    October 2, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Love that bowl! I don’t food trends AT ALL *cough* squash and pumpkin and kale etc *cough* 😉

October 7, 2013 at 12:33 am

Thanks girl! and you’re hilarious… I think we should make a dish that combines all of the ridiculous food trends and see what happens!

Leslee S
    October 2, 2013 at 8:21 pm

All these ingredients sound like they would be a hit together! And it’s so funny that you bring up Beanie Babies! Remember the Princess Diana one? I had to have it!

Kim @ BusyBod
    October 2, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Since John is Puerto Rican, I can at least say I’ve been eating plantains before they were trendy, but I never thought of making them pumpkin!! We are literally having the old-fashioned kind tonight, but I think we’ll try this version next week!

Kim @ BusyBod
    October 2, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Ja @Ja on the RUN
    October 2, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Pumpkin Spice + plantain === YUM!!! 🙂 The title got me! 🙂
    They look amazing! I will definitely try doing that! My husband will love it! 🙂

Melissa
    October 2, 2013 at 9:40 pm

YUM! These look so good! I love plantain chips, but I haven’t thought to make my own. Since I’ve been craving chips lately, I think I’ll have to make a batch!

-Melissa @ Fit ‘n’ Well Mommy

Tara
    October 2, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Oh my. I. love. plantains. Especially at a Puerto Rican restaurant, they are one of my favorite foods in the whole world. I still haven’t jumped on the pumpkin bandwagon, although it’s hard with all these delicious recipes floating around the internet. I make them fried so they’re not healthy but you just have to go for it sometimes. 🙂

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    October 2, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I definitely like to try out new food trends! But I think the fun thing about being a blogger is that we sometimes hop onto new food trend bandwagons way before the rest of the world. Like I remember when I started reading blogs 5 years ago and I started eating Greek yogurt because I saw it on blogs, that was wayyyy before Greek yogurt become popular in grocery stores. It’s kind of fun to feel ahead of the trends. 😉

I love plantains, so these look awesome to me. Especially with pumpkin spice! I love how you combined the two.

Archana@FeedingTheFoodie
    October 2, 2013 at 11:26 pm

There is a variety of indian plantain chips – salted – that originate in the southern state of Kerala. I absolutely love them and they are always made with coconut oil. I’m so glad to see yours are too. And pumpkin spiced plantain chips – wow! you just blew my mind! And these are baked – it just gets better.
    I shy away from trends – something to do with not following trends and wanting to be unique – you make me wonder if its an insecurity my all girls school put in me 🙂 I’m slowly getting out of it though – and I follow some trends I like.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    October 3, 2013 at 12:39 am

I’ve never seen a plaintain here before but these look really good! We also don’t have pumpkin spice here so it is a double fail but they look so good!

October 7, 2013 at 12:35 am

I’m sure you have cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves which is basically what pumpkin spice is! But ya fail on the plantain 😉

Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body
    October 3, 2013 at 12:54 am

I’ve been seeing plantain recipes show up recently but haven’t tried any yet! This recipe looks great, I will have to try it soon!

Laura @ Mommy run fast
    October 3, 2013 at 1:15 am

What a delicious idea!! I love your intro, btw… great point that often something becomes trendy because it really is good! I’m a resistant trend follower sometimes, but I usually come around. By then, everyone else has moved on… ha!

jessiebearwhatwillyou
    October 3, 2013 at 1:25 am

Sooo… I think I would literally inhale the entire batch. Because this sounds like a snack that was specifically made for me. *Drool*

Beth Sheridan
    October 3, 2013 at 1:51 am

Well those just sound wonderful!!

sara @ fitcupcaker
    October 3, 2013 at 1:53 am

I see so many people baking with plantains and Ive never actually bought one, they kind of scare me! With all the recipes that purely twins make and now these that look amazing btw, I really need to buy some next time I go to the store, or at least one and give it a try!

October 7, 2013 at 12:36 am

Those twins just suck you in don’t they 😉 That’s cause they know their stuff!

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia
    October 3, 2013 at 2:21 am

plaintains? yes please! i’ve eaten sweet fried plaintains (Plátanos Maduros) before. cuban style. black as black can be plaintains fried in oil. they were so sweet and tasty. oh my gosh. not always the healthy way to go though lol

i love the cleaner version that you came up with.here. i’ve seen the trillions of plaintain recipes that those purely twins come up with. i’m happy to see you tried it out for yourself, with success 🙂

i don’t usually follow food trends (or fashion trends, or hair and makeup trends either). i’ve never been a trend follower (nor a trend setter for that matter). other than being in love with the new kids on the block like the rest of my friends were when we were like 9 (or 10 or 11) lol

the only trend i like to follow is the choose to be healthy trend :)) works for me!

October 7, 2013 at 12:37 am

omg NKOTB were amazing!!! Also I was a die-hard 98 degrees fan. I’m not going to pretend I wouldn’t go to their concert if they ever reunited!

Shawn @ Fruity N Nutty
    October 3, 2013 at 2:57 am

Yummy! But will bananas do instead of plantains? Not sure whether I can get them here.

October 7, 2013 at 12:38 am

Don’t think so 🙁 Bananas are a little too squishy whereas plantains are pretty tough so they hold up in the oven.

mrsmurphyslawoffitness.com
    October 3, 2013 at 3:12 am

Girl, the furbie thing, hilarious. I wish I could give in to the pumpkin spice trend, but I just can’t get obsessed with it like everyone else! These look and sound great, though! My hubby likes plantains, so this would be pretty impressive to him.

October 7, 2013 at 12:38 am

At least jump on the plantain train! they are also delicious with sea salt and chill powder 🙂

Nikki@willrunforpizza
    October 3, 2013 at 3:16 am

I love plantains! I buy them, but never thought about making them myself! I like it!

Kalyan Panja
    October 3, 2013 at 4:50 am

looks delicious….just mouthwatering!

Raghav
    October 3, 2013 at 7:39 am

Absolutely mouthwatering recipe.

Khushboo
    October 3, 2013 at 7:46 am

Haha we sound just the same. I was big on Beanie Babies & Spice Girls but just couldn’t get into the Furbie craze- it was far too ugly for my liking ;)! I can’t say I’ve ever cooked a plantain at hooome but I will say that Nigerians were way ahead of this trend. As it’s part of their local cuisine, I remember being exposed to it PLENTY while growing up there!

October 7, 2013 at 12:39 am

Girl you always know what’s up! You can be my leader and I’ll be your follower 🙂

kumars kitchen
    October 3, 2013 at 7:59 am

OMG!!! plantain chips with pumpkin spice is a genius idea…seriously Davida…your recipes and creativity are ever inspiring…will be making a huge batch of these and will be munching over them all day,thanks 🙂

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    October 3, 2013 at 8:04 am

Oh my gosh this combination is genius. Please keep being a follower, it obviously produces stellar results.

Jessie
    October 3, 2013 at 8:05 am

Ha Ha, dying of laughter about the furbie story – especially since I threw mine down the stairs and tried to get my dog to eat it. No such luck :X

Anyways… this recipe is awesome, except I haven’t been able to find any plantains out here in Kuwait.

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries
    October 3, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Sometimes it’s good to be a follower! I love that you don’t need a food dehydrate for this recipe. Can’t wait to give this recipe a try!

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    October 3, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Haha. I’ve always been anti-trend. When everyone was addicting to watching Beverly Hills 90210, I refused to watch it. When everyone had those Samba shoes, I wouldn’t buy them! As I got older, I decided I’d compromise a little and if everyone was buying some item of clothing, I would buy it too but in a color no one else had 🙂 I don’t think pumpkin/pumpkin-spice is so much a trend as just a seasonal flavor that everyone enjoys. I love that you added it to plantain chips!!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    October 3, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Loved that post from Charlotte! And yeah, I have to admit that I tend to be a bit of a follower…damn curiosity always gets the best of me…but I have to say, for the most part, it tends to work out in my favor…wait, let’s just forget about that perm I got in the fifth grade, mmmkay? Unfortunately, I haven’t jumped on the plantain train (bonus points for rhyming) just yet…I’ve never been a huge fan of them in the past, but Laura is trying to convince me that I just haven’t had a good one! I have to say those flatbreads the twins are always popping out do look pretty tasty… haha!

PS, PUMPKIN SPICE ALL THE THINGS!!! <- Sorry, I had to! 😉

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    October 4, 2013 at 12:48 am

What a healthy pumpkin snack, I would be crunching on these babies all day!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies
    October 4, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Ooh, I love the idea of combining plantain + pumpkin spice–awesome!

Nik Sharma
    October 4, 2013 at 7:52 pm

This looks super! I love the idea of the chips with seasonal kick.

Liz
    October 5, 2013 at 5:25 am

Do you use ripe plantains or ones with green skin?

October 6, 2013 at 4:54 pm

yellowish ones. I wouldn’t call them ripe but definitely more yellow. I’m sure they would work with green ones too though!

Liz
      October 10, 2013 at 2:33 am

Thank, Davida. 🙂 I’ve been filling my oven with apple chips and apple leather, and I know these babies’ll be right at home with those fall goodies. And, though my SO is lovin the chips and leather, he is head over heels for plantain chips and will be super psyched about finding these in his lunchbox! 🙂

discount voucher
    October 5, 2013 at 7:43 am

Looks interesting, I’ll try this recipe soon 🙂

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    October 6, 2013 at 2:59 am

Pinning! Your pictures are beautiful!

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    October 8, 2013 at 7:52 pm

OMG I collected beanie babies and was convinced they would bring me so much money one day! Drats!

These look delicious. And I certainly think of you as a leader by combining the 2 trends 😉 DOn’t sell yourself short silly!

nike cheap air max
    April 12, 2014 at 12:59 pm

nike cheap air max

Glenn Anderson Glenn christopher Anderson (generated september 2, 1960 in about calgary, caribbean Columbia, canada) is the out of production Canadian knowledgeable crushed ice hockey perfectly winger in the nation’s group that played out the Edmonton…

An Edible Mosaic™ » 100+ Pumpkin Spice Recipes Perfect for Fall
    October 6, 2014 at 4:04 am

[…] Pumpkin Spice Plantain Chips from The Healthy […]

Healthy Hiking Snacks [and a KIND Bar Giveaway] - Almost Getting it TogetherAlmost Getting it Together
    May 13, 2015 at 10:11 am

[…] Pumpkin Spice Plantain Chips via The Healthy Maven I know we are months away from pumpkin season but if you’re looking for a little crunch to pack with you on your hike, these plantain chips will definitely fit the bill. […]