Fall gluten-free paleo sides vegan

Roasted Rosemary Butternut Squash

October 29, 2013

I cheat. A lot. It’s not my most admirable quality, but it’s the truth. In high school this meant reading the sparknotes version instead of the actual book. In university, I cheated the Ontario licensing system to get out of taking my drivers test but still got a full-class licence (yes, I am a hazard on the road) . And for this recipe I used pre-chopped butternut squash. Sue me.

Roasted Rosemary Butternut Squash // thehealthymaven.comI’d like to believe that my cheating is relatively harmless and that few people are harmed in the process. Plus my sins are washed away on Yom Kippur right? We’ll ignore the fact that I don’t fast or go to synagogue… On the flip side, I think more people actually benefit from my cheating than are hurt. For example, I gladly shared this butternut squash with my family!
Roasted Rosemary Butternut Squash // thehealthymaven.comIn my defence I was short on time when making this recipe. And by short on time I mean I have zero patience for peeling and chopping a butternut squash. Until I get my hands on a chainsaw this likely will remain the case. In addition, I am taking a break from high-intensity exercise, and we all know that squash cutting is equivalent to a Crossfit WOD.

So there you have it, my Roasted Rosemary Butternut Squash tainted with my sins. I still think you should consider eating them.

Roasted Rosemary Butternut Squash

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 40 mins
Serves 4     adjust servings

• 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and chopped (pre-chopped if you're like me)
  • 1/2 large red onion, sliced
  • 1 tsp olive oil (may be slightly more or less, as I use olive oil spray)
  • 2 T fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl combine butternut squash and onions.
  3. Add or spray with olive oil. Toss with hands.
  4. Sprinkle with rosemary and give one more toss.
  5. On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone-mat spread out butternut squash mix.
  6. Sprinkle with sea salt.
  7. Roast for 20 mins. Remove from oven and flip.
  8. Roast for another 20 mins.
  9. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving. Roast for an additional 5 mins if you like them very crisp (but remove onions if possible to avoid burning).
  10. Store in refrigerator for several days.

Be honest, have you ever cheated?
Any tips or tricks for squash cutting?

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
    October 29, 2013 at 10:05 am

I always buy pre-cubed Butternut Squash as well! There is no humanly possible way to cut a raw butternut squash into cubes with out some mass injury or a massive knife and impossibly strong arm!

gottaeatgreen.com
    October 29, 2013 at 10:27 am

Ok… I’ll admit it, I buy the pre cut squash sometimes too! It’s just so easy to prepare. This look delicious by the way !!

softserveandsquats.com
    October 29, 2013 at 10:36 am

I’m guilty of buying pre-cut squash too. It saves SO much time! This recipe looks delicious– my mom is the world’s biggest squash fan so I’ll definitely be sending her your recipe!

Joanne
    October 29, 2013 at 10:54 am

Sometimes, I totally go the pre-cut route. Cutting is hard work!! Love the rosemary infusion! It’s one of my favorite fall/winter flavors.

charlotte @ commitness to fitness
    October 29, 2013 at 11:02 am

i used to read the spark notes too!! and i also buy pre-chopped way more often than i should (not just when it comes to squash which literally takes the strength of Thor to cut) soft veggies too because i am wooed by the concept of pre-cut. they’re just sitting there in your grocery store, looking so perfect and ready to pour in your pan. ahh yes, i know the call of the pre-chopped veggies all too well 🙂

October 31, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Yeah I’m lazy and buy a lot of veggies pre-cut. At least I’m eating veggies right?!?!

taylorbee
    October 29, 2013 at 11:10 am

there is NOTHING wrong with using pre-chopped butternut squash. I buy pre-cut things all of the time, because I’d rather spend that 5 minutes doing something else besides peeling and chopping veggies. so worth the extra dollar or two! 🙂 this recipe looks freaking delicious!

October 29, 2013 at 11:31 am

Girl, if I could FIND pre-cut squash then you better believe I’d be buying it! The only kind I’ve been able to find so far is the frozen variety, which just tastes nasty when it’s cooked. But I’ve gotten pretty lazy with my squash cutting as well… I used to peel away the skin and cut it into thinner strips, but now I leave the skin on and just quarter the thing up… saves my fingers.

October 31, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I’ve never tried the frozen kind but thanks for the warning! Definitely will stay away!

Madison
    October 29, 2013 at 11:32 am

I love the simplicity of this recipe. Great weeknight option for me!

holly ; the hobbit kitchen
    October 29, 2013 at 11:34 am

absolutely no shame in using pre-chopped squash – i would absolutely do the same if i ever knew where to find it! and anyway this looks absolutely gorgeous, so i certainly won’t spill your secret 😉 great post!
    the hobbit kitchen x

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    October 29, 2013 at 11:39 am

i don’t consider that cheating – i call that Cooking Smart! if you feel very bad about that, you may rid yourself of that cheat-filled dish and drop it at my house okthanksbye.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    October 29, 2013 at 11:41 am

ps- we all cheat sometimes. i just cheated on my recent post (it’s an old one that i just republished because i am too lazy to think of something else! it’s new for my new readers so it’s called Blogging Smart!) 😀

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    October 29, 2013 at 11:56 am

The only reasons I put up with buying the whole squash is to get the seeds!! I looooove roasted squash seeds 🙂

Ksenija @ With An Open Mind
    October 29, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Pre-chopped butternut squash? That would be a dream come true. Roasted butternut is one of my favorite side dishes in the world and Jay is always giving me worrisome glances when I start chopping off the skin. Luckily I do still own all of my fingers…

October 31, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I feel like I would need finger guards if I tried to hack one myself again. Not taking my chance with my fingers!

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    October 29, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Dang it, I just used all of my butternut squash up last night! Looks like I will have to go buy more asap because this recipe looks so tasty!

October 29, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I’d say it’s more of a shortcut than cheating 😉 Although wanna let me in on how you cheated the licensing system? I have my G test tomorrow morning and would really much rather skip it ;-S

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    October 29, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I have cheated in MANY different capacities, though, I can safely say that I do not now. However, I used to be a shitty human being and I’m not anymore. That was probably too deep for this post. Sorry. 🙂 Anyway, the MegBek household uses pre cut butternut squash as well because ain’t nobody got time to do that themselves. It’s enough work to cut a spaghetti squash once in a blue moon, I am not adding butternut to that list. 🙂 Happy Tuesday my beautiful Canadian friend!

October 31, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Ain’t NOBODY got time for that! Happy everyday to my favourite Southern Friends 🙂

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    October 29, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Haha I can’t blame you, I am guilty of the same thing at times

Kim @ BusyBod
    October 29, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Bahahaha cheat away! I’ve been using frozen butternut squash, which is way worse! The only reason I don’t buy pre-chopped 100% of the time for all foods always is because John would freak about the wasted money. Maybe once I’m a big-shot lawyer I can get away with it more often. Seriously though, I think the time and effort (and confusion) with prepping things like squash deter a LOT of people, so giving the world permission to use pre-chopped is fabulous 🙂

October 29, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I’m pretty sure that by now you know I’m not a super healthy eater (we try but….) so I’m not sure if I’ve ever prepared butternut squash! But, this recipe looks tasty – I love all things rosemary!!!

Dixya
    October 29, 2013 at 1:58 pm

only yesterday I was debating to whether or not make butternut squash because of peeling/chopping but turns out using a potato peeler is the easiest way to do it. I peeled, chopped and roasted them with cumin. But I try to use shortcuts and cheat when possible 😛

Kim Scardino @ Racing Bananas
    October 29, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Yum! Two of my favorite things, made together!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    October 29, 2013 at 2:16 pm

No shame with the pre-cut squash. Sometimes a girl just doesn’t have 20 minutes to chop stuff! I’m the laziest cook ever so I’m the last person to judge anyone for taking the easy route cause I ALWAYS do that. That recipe does look super tasty, too! Confession- I’ve had fresh rosemary growing outside since May and I’ve only used it twice. I just keep forgetting it’s out there. Now I have a good reason to break it out!

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    October 29, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Haha what a description! I HATE chopping up squash – I also need to get some shaper knives. Now fill me in how you got around the driver’s test… 😉

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    October 29, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I cheat at golf and Scrabble and most games. I basically don’t want to play unless I can cheat. To be clear, I play with family and they do know that I plan on cheating. Also, my tip for cutting up squash is to have someone else do it!

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake
    October 29, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Sometimes a little cheating is good. I cheat sometimes and buy precut veggies as well. I work full time in a demanding job and sometimes I’m too tired to spend ages cutting veggies.

And rosemary roasted veggies are the best!

Em @ Love A Latte
    October 29, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Butternut squash is a pain to peal – very good cheat! I was a sparks note junkie in school. And I love to read so I’m not really sure why but if I were to go back to college now I’d read every book!

almostgettingittogether.com
    October 29, 2013 at 4:20 pm

ALWAYS cheat when it comes to chopping veggies. I’m too lazy to cut them so I just buy them pre-cut. ESPECIALLY butternut squash.

Poke your squash with a fork and microwave for a few minutes… MUCH easier to cut open, but be careful… it’s hot!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    October 29, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Butternut squash is absolutely THE hardest squash to cut of them all. It’s like the most dangerous wrestling match you’ll ever be in, every time. I love rosemary to cook with, it’s so fragrant, you don’t even need that much else – which is what is perfect about this recipe!

October 31, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Exactly! I was worried there wouldn’t be enough flavour, but it was perfect! Love me some rosemary!

Rachel
    October 29, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Having sliced many a finger cutting squash, I fully support your “cheat” here. Sometimes I’m able to get them cut in half and then roast and peel when the skin is soft. I love the idea of microwaving it first (almostgettingittogether.com) – I’d never thought of that.

Thanks as always for sharing your recipes. My list of things to make from your blog is getting longer and longer. I’m going to have a very well-fed family when I’m home for Thanksgiving next month!

Quick question for you though – do you find this in the frozen section, or can you get fresh diced squash? We don’t have a great selection of produce in my local grocery, so I’m afraid I’d be stuck with frozen. Have you ever tried that or have any tips to keep it from getting mushy?

October 31, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I’ve never actually tried the frozen! I’ll check it out in the grocery store next time and see if I can figure out how to keep it crisp. Nothing worse than mushy squash!

You are too sweet! Can I come to your Thanksgiving dinner? Canadians are lame and already celebrated it so I’ve got nothing to do the last Thursday of November…just sayin’ 🙂

Sarah Cook
    October 29, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Butternut squash is such a pain in the ass to peel and cut. I’m guilty of buying the precut stuff too. There’s nothing wrong with that!

I love rosemary and this looks like a perfect side item for Thanksgiving!

October 29, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Too funny! Hey, I’m all about making things easier. I cheat all the time when it comes to cooking and buy things that are precooked or pre-sliced. Precooked lentils are my current favorite cheat!

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    October 29, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I buy pre-cut squash all the time! For most veggies, it’s not worth it, but it takes so much effort to get cubed butternut that it’s so worth it 🙂

californiaendlesssummer.com
    October 29, 2013 at 7:43 pm

It’s amazing how a little seasoning changes everything! I’ve been using rosemary and thyme on my veggies and salmon and it’ makes a world of difference 🙂 The pre-cut stuff is great too! I’ve been thinking of using it for a soup sometime soon.

October 31, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Perfect in soup! Rosemary is the herb that survived in my garden so there will be a large rosemary theme on the blog for the coming weeks 🙂

Mary Frances McNellis
    October 29, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Rosemary is underappreciated and sounds so good with sweet potatoes. What a pretty and delicious side dish!

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    October 29, 2013 at 7:57 pm

pre-cut butternut squash is the greatest invention since sliced bread…so I don’t blame you for using that AT ALL. I recently (in the last few years) found out that you can actually eat the skin on a squash so it does make cutting it up less painful, but this is still the easiest! I was hoping you’d post this recipe when i saw it on your table in your weekend post 🙂 I always go the sweet route with squash, adding cinnamon and sometimes maple syrup, so I love that you used rosemary! I’m definitely doing that next time.

October 31, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I typically go the sweet route too but I think I may be converted to savoury on this one! And yes bet invention ever! Well for us, not so much for the people who still have to cut it!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    October 29, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I don’t blame you, peeling and cutting butternut squash makes me want to cry, so I’m guilty of going the pre-chopped route way too often. I now can see myself getting more of that pre-chopped squash in order to make this, because it looks amazing! 🙂

Jessie
    October 29, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Nothing wrong with using pre-chopped butternut squash. I mean if you don’t, you’re continually taking the chance of cutting a finger or two off. Who wants to do that?! 🙂

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    October 29, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Hahaha seriously good call on buying pre-cut squash. I have had WAY too many close calls involving my fingers when cutting butternut squash. Also whenever I touch raw squash, my hands get super dry and sometimes even start to peel. It’s so bizarre!!! Maybe I should use that as an excuse to start buying pre-cut squash too? 😛

Hmm I sometimes cheat when I do crossword puzzles. Sometimes I just REALLY need to get an answer in order to move on to the rest of the puzzle, so I’ll just look it up. Shh. 😉

October 31, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Anyone who doesn’t cheat on a crossword puzzle must be in Mensa or something. I mean seriously, they are so hard!

October 29, 2013 at 11:10 pm

We make butternut squash the EXACT same way- although I sometimes add chilli flakes too! Great minds think alike 😉

To conquer the stupid squash (which broke my knife) I invested in a bone strength cutting knife. Shows the orange whos boss.

Tara
    October 29, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Sometimes cheating is ok. In this situation, I think it’s a great idea!!! YUMMMM!!!!

October 29, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I might actually make butternut squash more than once a year if I could find it pre-cut. That is amazing. Thanks for linking up lover!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    October 29, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Cheating, you’re a bad bad girl, but I love you anyways. Why? Because of this amazing squash of course (ok and other recipes too!).

gschroer
    October 30, 2013 at 2:28 am

I love butternut squash! I almost bought pre-cut butternut squash from Costco the other day but realized I had two waiting to be hacked away on at home. So not fun but so good!

October 31, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Ahhh costco has the pre-chopped?!?! Guess that’s where I’ll be headed this weekend!

Paige Podbelsek
    October 30, 2013 at 3:44 am

This looks great and super simple! Butternut squash is my favorite squash for sure 🙂

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    October 30, 2013 at 3:48 am

Your sins are TOTALLY washed away on Yom Kippur 🙂 Trader Joe’s pre-cut squash was life changing for me! No more hacking into those bad boys and risking my life. No thanks. Oh and this squash looks lovely, per usual!

October 31, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Coming from a fellow Jew this makes me glad to hear! And yeah one day a squash is legit going to try to kill me!

Melissa
    October 30, 2013 at 5:11 am

I love roasted butternut squash and your recipe looks delicious! A little cheating is okay, especially when time is limited. I used to buy cubed squash when I was working because peeling and cutting squash can take a while!

– Melissa @ Fit ‘n’ Well Mommy

October 31, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Exactly! Maybe one day when I’m not working I’ll give it another shot…well probably not 😉

Jan Sproutsnsquats
    October 30, 2013 at 8:51 am

No shame lady when you are short on time you got to do what you got to do…even when you aren’t short on time 🙂

Tara
    October 30, 2013 at 8:56 am

Yum! My husband and I are both butternut lovers and I know we would love this recipe!

Khushboo
    October 30, 2013 at 9:15 am

SHAME on you..haha I kid! More than cheating, I’m appalled that you peel your butternut squash….the skin tastes SO good! Love the flavors in this dish despite how simple it is :D!

October 31, 2013 at 7:54 pm

If my stomach could tolerate the skin I would eat it but that;s where all the fiber is…and well ya know.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    October 30, 2013 at 9:32 am

“…and we all know that squash cutting is equivalent to a Crossfit WOD” < - RIGHT?! I swear I literally broke a sweat when I cut up...no ATTACKED my kabocha squash a few weeks ago! Half way through it I was questioning my sanity! Ha! Cheater cheater pumpkin…er, butternut eater? I cheat all the time…just this morning I cheated on Greek yogurt with cottage cheese! Lol

October 31, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I fear for my life with squash. It’s like they’re out to get me!!!

Nice one there. You’ve officially got me craving cottage cheese!

veganmiam.com
    October 30, 2013 at 4:24 pm

What a delicious dish – love red onions in warm dishes and of course fresh rosemary!

Sarah Pie
    October 30, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Haha peeling squash is my dad’s job around the kitchen… besides shredding cheese thats the only job I refuse to do!

Caroline Taylor
    October 30, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Lovely seasonal recipe for squash.

Selena
    October 31, 2013 at 12:05 am

Ahh I was cracking up at this post! Seriously it’s nice to know there are other “cheaters” out there especially when it comes to this food recipe business lol I fully condone your cheating for pre chopped squash! I always buy the little baggies from Trader Joe’s it’s just so much more convenient! In fact I am going to get some on my next trip and make your recipe 🙂 Love using rosemary seasoning!

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    November 1, 2013 at 2:52 am

I love butternut squash soup but surprisingly I have never been a fan of it roasted. Nonetheless there is one sitting in my fridge calling out my name. Guess what I am making as a side for dinner on Saturday?! I’ll let you know how I like it but so far your recipes have never disappointed! Don’t worry, I don’t blame you for buying pre-chopped squash. I think half of my buttercup squash went flying across the room as I slammed my knife in hopes of breaking it in half! You might be kidding but I seriously am not when I say that the little exercise I do is IN the kitchen using a beater/knife or even vacuuming up my crumbs!

November 2, 2013 at 2:39 am

Roasted butternut squash; now that I can relate to. And you used olive oil too. Be still my heart.

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    November 7, 2013 at 4:57 am

WHILE you know I am obsessed with spaghetti squash, BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND I are in a SERIOUS relationship! SERIOUS.

Allan James
    June 1, 2017 at 4:24 am

Ok, you must share your secret for dealing with a whole squash. It’s a nightmare for me. I recently roasted some, and despite microwaving it first for about 5min, I nearly broke my knife and cut off my hand trying to slice through the darn thing. I’m about to just wave a white flag and spend the extra $ to get it pre-peeled and chopped.
    Thanks for sharing.