Live

Cooking with Rosa

November 5, 2013

Thank you all for your amazing comments on yesterday’s post. One of the best things about blogging is the amazing community of people I’ve been connected to, bloggers and nonbloggers alike. I can’t thank you enough!

Besides the amazing community, blogging definitely comes with its perks. I won’t pretend that I didn’t let out a tiny squeal (okay huge squeal) of excitement when I got an email inviting me to cook with Chef Rosa Marinuzzi of 7 Numbers. And then this sealed the deal:

Rosa Marinuzzi loves just a few very, very important things; her family, fresh flowers, the occasional trip to play the slots at the casino… and cooking! And if you have ever had her food you know one thing for sure, her love of cooking comes through in everything she makes!

There’s no substitute for her experience or talent, but you can find out just how infectious her love of food can be. On the last Monday of each month, when the restaurant at Eglinton is usually closed for her one day off, Rosa welcomes you – neophytes to experts  – into her kitchen for the most fun you’ve ever had while learning.

A lady after my own heart. And for the record it actually may have been the most fun I’ve had while learning.
My expectations for the evening were pretty high thanks to a fantastic meal I had at 7 numbers a few years ago for my birthday. And the fact that the restaurant has a longstanding reputation for serving authentic and delicious Italian cooking. My only fear was whether my own cooking skills would be up to par. Fortunately Rosa was judgment-free and with the copious amount of wine being served no one would have noticed anyway.
The menu was pre-set and included an antipasti, primi, secondi and contorni.  For each course we would stand around the kitchen and either help or watch Rosa cook. Then we would all sit down together and stuff our faces with the food before moving onto the next course. 14 dishes were served in total each of which deserves its own blog post, but instead I’ll just feature my highlights.
Traditional Caprese Salad
Rosa’s Veal Meatballs
Pan seared Arctic Char
Rosa herself is an absolutely riot. It was apparent from the minute I stepped through the door how passionate she is about Italian cooking and the customers she serves. I’ve also never seen a happier restaurant staff. They described themselves as a happy but dysfunctional family (as most are) and you can tell how much Rosa cares for them and they for Rosa.
The set-up of the restaurant was perfect. All the tables were pushed together to form one large table so that food and conversation could be shared. Rosa made her way around the table chatting with each of us, giving cooking tips or pouring a shot of Limoncello down our throats.
The servers made sure our wine glasses were never empty. And just for good measure made sure we didn’t go home empty handed either. I probably ate enough for the entire week, but just in case I took few of my favourites home with me.
As you might expect, it was a phenomenal evening. Though it’s a toss up whether Rosa or her food was the star of the show. Did I come out of the evening ready to open up my own Italian restaurant? Definitely not. But did I eat some phenomenal food and learn a few tricks of the trade? Absolutely.
Mom writing down recipes from Rosa
Want a chance to cook with Rosa? Check the schedule here to find out when she will be holding her next cooking class. I think it would be a blast if you brought a group of friends with you but come alone and I can still promise you will have a wonderful time.

Follow 7 Numbers on Twitter
Follow 7 Numbers on Facebook
Follow 7 Numbers on Instagram

I attended this event free of charge as a guest blogger. This is not a sponsored post and all opinions of the evening are my own.
Have you ever taken a cooking class? Which celebrity chef would you love to cook with?

November 5, 2013 at 11:22 am

What an amazing opportunity for you!! I love Italian food, so I would have been in HEAVEN! Your pictures make this event seem like it was filled with a lot of laughter and good times (and good FOOD). I’m glad you got this opportunity – you deserve it!

softserveandsquats.com
    November 5, 2013 at 11:59 am

Your kitchen creations look beautiful and delicious! I’ve never been to a cooking class but, from your recap, it sounds like a perfect way to spend an evening!

November 5, 2013 at 12:04 pm

That sounds like such a fun evening. I’ve never been to a cooking or baking class, but the more you write about your experiences, the more I want to try one out for myself. It would be nice to learn some more tricks of the trade and be surrounded by others who are passionate about the same things. And then there’s the edibles… 😉

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    November 5, 2013 at 12:28 pm

THAT FOOD NEEDS TO GET IN MY BELLY NOW!! what an amazing opportunity for you to cook with her! i would have been all flustered and dropping shit because i’m awful in the kitchen when it comes to fancy recipes!

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    November 5, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Sounds like such a great learning experience. & I agree with Kathy I think I would’ve been so nervous cooking with her lol

Madison
    November 5, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Such a cool experience!!! You are awesome and bold and brave for doing that–just like Kathy and Elise said in previous comments, I would be a nervous-nelly! 🙂 You rock!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    November 5, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Aw, Chef Rosa is the cutest! She reminds me of my Nonna!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    November 5, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Oh my gahhhh that’s so fun, and congrats for being invited! I don’t know if that’s a big deal but it sounds like it to me. What a great experience, and the food all looks delicious!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    November 5, 2013 at 2:11 pm

That dinner sounds AMAZING! I would love doing something like that.Super jealous of that whole meal and experience!

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    November 5, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Wow, what an awesome opportunity! I’d love to do something like that. That food looks insanely good… 🙂

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    November 5, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Oh this looks like so much fun! Definitely something I would enjoy. I’ve taken a few cooking classes in my time and they are always a blast! I love learning new tricks of the trade.

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    November 5, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Sounds like an amazing and very fun experience!

Loved your post yesterday but didn’t a chance to comment. Excited to see where your blog goes! 🙂

November 5, 2013 at 3:07 pm

What an awesome experience – I’m not a super foodie but I would love to have a chance to cook and eat with a great chef sometime!!!

nuttyforlife.com
    November 5, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I can just tell by the looks of everyone’s faces that it was a fantastic evening. It sounds like an amazing experience and a really fun time. Learning tricks of the trade, plus great food, plus wine? How can it get better? And those meatballs.. yow.za. wow.

Lauren Lomsdalen
    November 5, 2013 at 4:15 pm

OMG that looks SO fun! I should find a restaurant around me that does this! How cool that would be!

Heather Wilson
    November 5, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Such an amazing experience girly! You deserve every minute of it! That just looks like an absolute blast and the food amazing!

Leslee S
    November 5, 2013 at 4:53 pm

That’s so much fun! And a once in a lifetime opportunity 🙂 I actually have a dinner scheduled with a chef for a few weeks form now, but I’ll just be watching him cook and not participating myself.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 10, 2013 at 9:40 pm

That’s still so fun! It’s also nice to be surrounded by people who (usually) have the same interest as you!

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    November 5, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Can I choose YOU as my celebrity chef to cook with?!?

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    November 5, 2013 at 5:16 pm

ROSA must serve me up some of those VEAL MEATBALLS! They speak to me!!! 🙂

Kim @ BusyBod
    November 5, 2013 at 5:28 pm

This looks like it was SUCH a fun event! I have never taken a cooking class but I really probably should, I feel like it would help me get more comfortable in the kitchen.

Rachel
    November 5, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Wow what an incredible experience – I’m very jealous but also very happy for you! I will argue over and over that becoming a good chef/cook/baker does not come through studying books or in the classroom, but through watching the best and experimenting in the kitchen. So much of the skill required to became a chef is cultivated ONLY through experiences like these.

Unfortunately, I haven’t followed through on that belief and taken a cooking class of any kind. If I could cook with any chef, it would probably be Nigella Lawson. Her food is so messy and carefree, and it looks so delicious. I can only imagine how good her kitchen smells every day. She’s definitely my favorite.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 10, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I completely agree! I learned so many tricks from her that will definitely help my own cooking in the future.

Nigella Lawson is awesome! And her recipes always turn out.

November 5, 2013 at 6:35 pm

That looks like so much fun! I’ve never done any sort of cooking class, but I’d really like to sometime. If I could cook with a celebrity chef, it’d be Gordon Ramsay because I have a minor obsession with him. But he’d have to promise not to yell at me.

Sarah Cook
    November 5, 2013 at 6:47 pm

What an awesome opportunity! I love a good home cooked Italian meal. Looks like pure comfort- the setting, the food, the company. It’s making me hungry!

Caitlin
    November 5, 2013 at 9:03 pm

what a FREAKING AWESOME EVENT! the food looks so amazing…the mozz, the char, the veal. i die! limoncello shots ehhh? 😉 and wine glasses always full are ALWAYS fun! i’ve been to one cooking class event and have another next week. they are so much fun!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 10, 2013 at 9:41 pm

You always go to the best events Cait! I feel like I was channeling you at this event 😉

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    November 5, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Omg, does she need another guest blogger?! This looks absolutely amazing!

I would most want to cook with Jamie Oliver. I would basically just talk his ear off all night about his Food Revolution and how amazing I think he is for starting that movement haha.

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 10, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Chelsea you NEED to check out 7 numbers next time you’re in Toronto!

And Jamie Oliver is amazing. Love him 🙂

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    November 6, 2013 at 1:19 am

Wow what an amazing opportunity and one that you really truly deserve!! Rosa sounds like such an amazing cook and I am seriously drooling at all of her foods.

I’ve only done one group cooking class through work a few years ago as a team building event but I’d love to do more especially a Japanese cooking class or a Spanish one.

Maureen Hitipeuw
    November 6, 2013 at 1:32 am

That looks amazing what an experience you had! 😀 The food makes me hungry, I love, love, love Italian food and those looks mighty delicious

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia
    November 6, 2013 at 2:33 am

wow Davida! first was the baking course..and now this! when i see you do things like this, i want to do them too! i’m going to find something like this in Ottawa 🙂 thank you so much for sharing your experience with the rest of us 😀 x

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 10, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Ah you must Maria! I’m sure there’s some awesome courses around Ottawa! If not come to Toronto and join me for one 🙂

Jessie
    November 6, 2013 at 2:42 am

You are being presented with so many wonderful and exciting opportunities. Good for you, Davida. I think it’s so wonderful! The way you describe Rosa she sounds like such a fabulous lady with a heart of gold. All your dishes look delicious. I would totally of taken home seconds (if permitted obviously lol).

November 6, 2013 at 3:05 am

So stoked you got to experience something like this- you deserve it Davida! You can tell by looking at Rosa that she is truly passionate about what she does and it would no doubt be evident in her cooking- cannot wait to hear how this inspires Davida’s Delights!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 10, 2013 at 9:46 pm

You’re too much, but thank you 😉 And it’s going to be MANY years before DD happens (if ever!).

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table
    November 6, 2013 at 3:18 am

That looks like so much fun! I love going to events like that – you pick up so many “pro” tips. I want the meatball recipe!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 10, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I want it too! I think I’m going to have the email the restaurant to get it. Should have written it down!

Carla Bruns
    November 6, 2013 at 3:27 am

What an awesome opportunity! It sounds like she truly enjoys what she’s doing. That always makes events more fun!

I have not taken a cooking class but you have inspired me with all of your posts. I did look it up and found out that our local culinary school has weekend classes. As soon as my house sells and I free up some funds I plan on taking some classes.

thesavedrunner
    November 6, 2013 at 3:28 am

Wow, this looks so fun! I am so glad you were able to do this! I would love something like this, but I have no idea what chef I would want to cook with!

mrsmurphyslawoffitness.com
    November 6, 2013 at 3:41 am

Look at you, miss fancy pants! What an amazing (and well deserved) opportunity. It looks like you guys had a blast- The food looks amazing and Rosa does look like a ton of fun!

Tara
    November 6, 2013 at 5:09 am

Go you!! I am eyeing those veal meatballs! Now I really want to meet Rosa and move her in so she can cook for me all the time.

californiaendlesssummer.com
    November 6, 2013 at 3:35 pm

This sounds absolutely amazing! I adore Italian food but really only when someone else makes it 🙂 Those are certainly the types of outings and classes I love. Glad you had fun!

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 10, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Thank you! There’s some awesome cooking classes in NYC that I’m sure you would love!

jessiebearwhatwillyou
    November 6, 2013 at 3:53 pm

This looks like a blast!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    November 6, 2013 at 7:14 pm

What an awesome experience, it looks like you had a fantastic night! I’m so happy for you. And jealous, I’m a bit jealous too. All that food sounds delish 🙂

*CaNdY FiT*
    November 6, 2013 at 11:32 pm

What a fantastic experience you had! Looks like great fun! Celebrity Chef…um you obviously!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    November 7, 2013 at 11:48 am

What an amazing opportunity! Sounds like you had one incredible night! And omg, those meatballs! 😯

I would die…like literally DIE if I could cook with Tyler Florence! No I mean it…I would be so smitten that I would be all thumbs and more than likely end up setting the kitchen aflame! Lol

Davida @TheHealthyMaven
      November 10, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Haahahhaha but if you whipped up a pancake recipe I have no doubt you would redeem yourself!

November 7, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Wow, this sounds like so much fun!!

November 12, 2013 at 11:52 am

What a very, very cool opportunity. I need to see if any of our Cleveland restaurants do something like that.