random ramblings

Random Ramblings #3

November 22, 2013

I’m baaaaack. Welcome to Random Ramblings, a place where I discuss my latest food addictions, force my epic music selections on you and showcase my terrible selfies. Pleased to have you join me.

1. Last weekend we discussed my infamous mayor’s crack problem. This weekend we’ll discuss mine. In the form of Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Almonds. I cannot stop. They are incredible and only confirm my suspicions that Trader Joe’s is the foodie version of a drug cartel. How I am going to make the two boxes my parents brought back for me from Cleveland last until my next visit to the US is beyond me.

2. I’ve developed a new habit and I think I’m starting to annoy people. Clearly I love blogging but apparently I’ve decided that anyone who has something even remotely close to a talent should love it too. Oh you make artisan dog shoes? You should start a blog! You have an unhealthy obsession with rubber bands? Blog about it! I caught myself doing this the other day with one of my oldest camp friends who has the most stellar taste in music. But she really should start a music blog. Exhibit a=this song which she so kindly shared with me. Love you eseids!

3. Many of you commented on this post that you wanted to know what I looked look when I cook…now do you take back your wish? This is my “uniform” aka C’s track sweatshirt, my McGill sweatpants, my afro tamed in a bun and fuzzy Christmas socks that I wear year round (unpictured). This is how the magic happens.

4. In honour of the release of the new Hunger Games movie I am dedicating a whole point to my girl crush Jennifer Lawrence. If you don’t already have a girl crush on her, this buzzfeed will make you. Such a boss. Besides my obsession with Jennifer Lawrence, I also have an affinity for tween books, movies and popstars. I’m particularly excited for the release of this movie.

MV5BMTAyMjQ3OTAxMzNeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDU0NzA1MzAx._V1_SX214_

5. In addition to my new habit I have also discovered a talent of mine. Sleep “baking” (if microwaving counts as baking). I woke up at 4:00 AM two nights ago with a ravenous appetite and had an intense craving for cake. Apparently in my delirium I came up with a pretty awesome recipe and also managed to not wake up my parents. Win! Sorry for the terrible photo, I haven’t quite mastered sleep photography.

Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake

PREP TIME 5 mins
Cook Time 1 min

• 1 T brown rice flour
  • 2 T vanilla whey protein powder
  • 1/4 tsp pumpkin spice
  • 1/3 tsp baking powder
  • 2 T pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg white
  • 8 drops of liquid stevia

1. Spray a mug with nonstick spray or coconut oil
  2. Combine dry ingredients.
  3. Add in wet ingredients.
  4. Microwave on high for 1 minute and 10 seconds.

What’s your current food weakness? Any newfound talents or music finds? Should I continue with Random Ramblings or are you not interested in my mindless thoughts?

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    November 22, 2013 at 11:04 am

Ah HA!! You DID take a photo!! What did I say…mad blogger dedication right there, missy! I’ll get to work this weekend on your construction paper/glitter/unicorn award and it will be in the mail on Monday as long as I don’t mess up and hodge-podge it to my hand! 😉 Love the pic of you cooking! That’s basically how I look too…give a couple more untamable stray locks and stains on my pants because I have no idea what a napkin is! Haha!

You know from my post yesterday that I’m a total goat cheese, brussels sprouts, kabocha donut fiend right now…oh perhaps you missed that last part? Yep, I made KABOCHA DONUTS!! Post just went up today! Woot woot! Keep those random ramblings coming, you rocking lady in red! <- Sorry, I blame the insomnia on that one! 😉

Ksenija @ With An Open Mind
    November 22, 2013 at 11:09 am

Haha, you look pretty much as spectacular as I do when I cook. Good thing I am not a vlogger 😉 Currently I am rocking my pink tough-cookie pj pants with uber-comfy socks while baking carrot cake – I am probably not the person to ask for fashion advice.

Oh and how excited I am to finally watch Catching fire next week! I’ve been waiting the whole year for the movie to come out. Cannot wait!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    November 22, 2013 at 11:10 am

I come up with random recipes at random times too lol. I throw a bunch of stuff together and voila – snack cake, breakfast bake, dessert etc. I can’t say I have a food weakness but I do somehow incorporate peanut butter into every meal. Maybe we can call it an addiction.

Karen
    November 22, 2013 at 11:20 am

Love the pic of you cooking! You kitchen is beautiful and so is your outfit 🙂
    Jennifer Lawrence is *amazing*! If I didn’t already have plans tonight I’d be at the movies seeing the next Hunger Games.
    Karen @karenlovestorun

9toFit
    November 22, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I can’t wait for the Hunger games!

November 22, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I miss you! This week has been so crazy that I feel like I haven’t talked to you in a long time! This needs to be fixed.

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    November 22, 2013 at 12:53 pm

How can you not have a crush on JL? She’s beautiful and hilarious. Also–you’reeeee hilarious and I love your random ramblings 🙂 Happy Friday!

Madison
    November 22, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Oh my gosh, I look that like most all day every day when I work from home! AND you look beautiful!!!! I’m hoping to see Catching Fire this weekend…love JLaw!

D @ The Kosher Cave Girl
    November 22, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I went to go see Hunger Games last night, and let me tell you, that girl is a bad-ass. Also– are those almonds really that good? I keep seeing them around here in Columbus, and I’ve been itching to try them, but I don’t want to purchase them only to find out that I’ve made some terrible, terrible mistake, haha.

November 22, 2013 at 1:30 pm

CHOCOLATE! Holy gerbils, chocolate… I can’t get enough of the stuff lately — it’s getting bad. But bad in the best way possible. And I seriously have the hugest crush on Jennifer Lawrence — she’s best friend material.

Love the rambles! Keep them coming!

gottaeatgreen.com
    November 22, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Haha my cooking clothes are just as good. Salt and Pepper Roots sweats and an over sized sweater. Oh and messy bun of course. I somehow always manage to get flour all over me and the kitchen looks like a disaster. And those almonds! Tell your parents to get me some next time too!! 😉

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee
    November 22, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I’m super impressed you even took a photo AND wrote down the recipe!
    ps. Seeing Catching Fire tonight… so pumped.

James
    November 22, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Sweets for me. Trader Joe’s is definitely a closeted crack shack. The dark chocolate power berries??? I CRUSH those.

Joanne
    November 22, 2013 at 2:02 pm

“foodie version of a drug cartel” – that made my day.

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    November 22, 2013 at 2:02 pm

the more random the better! and i wear the SAME thing as you day in/day out…if only work would let me dress like that….

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    November 22, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I totally share your girl crush, and I adore the fact that you wear Christmas socks all year round. Mug cake looks great … I can’t think of a better thing to make at 4am :). YES to the random ramblings! I love them!

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles
    November 22, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I have issues baking when I’m awake, let alone asleep…so the fact that you were able to do that is so impressive to me. Whenever I’m hungry in the middle of the night I literally just stick my face in the fridge and hope for the best. I’m too excited for Catching Fire–it looks AMAZING and all of the guys are so attractive and Jennifer Lawrence is essentially my favorite person ever.

Leslee S
    November 22, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Yes to fuzzy socks. I wear the most heinous striped ones all year round. They work great when I want to wear boots over my pants but the pants aren’t actually made for boots…holds all the extra fabric in place, perfection 🙂 When my feet hurt from the boots, I walk around work wearing my male coworkers slippers and my pants tucked into my fuzzy socks. I obviously have a lot of friends….

Shashi Charles
    November 22, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I so agree – Trader Joe’s IS the foodie version of a drug cartel! They flaunt their wares and hook you in and then you find yourself driving miles just to get your fix!!! GAAAH!
    I so cannot wait to see Catching Fire either! I need to sneak in some Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Almonds to snack on! 🙂
    That pumpkin spicemug cake looks good!

californiaendlesssummer.com
    November 22, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I’m obsessed with all of this! So I completely wanted to re-read the books to prep for the movie. Well, that failed so maybe I’ll just re-watch the first movie 🙂 As for mug cakes, those are probably my go-to snack or sweet or whatever haha

Also, Trader Joes and Buzzfeed are on the rage. How do they even create all of that goodness? Happy Friday!

sara @ fitcupcaker
    November 22, 2013 at 2:35 pm

currently Ive been craving cereal, and mug cakes and brownies!! YUM. I just havent been into vegetables this week, ha

Katie @ House. Life. Girl
    November 22, 2013 at 2:45 pm

LOVE Mug cakes! I’ll have to give your recipe a whirl!

Happy Friday!

fitandpetite
    November 22, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Those almonds from TJ looks scrumptious!!! Also I love your recipe for the pumpkin mug cake. It’s something I might try to make soon! And I cannot wait for to see the Hunger Games too! I love Jennifer Lawrence! Happy Friday! 🙂

Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures
    November 22, 2013 at 2:53 pm

OMG My man bought those almonds once and I was like, mehhh, I suppose I’ll try one.
    Um shut the front door close down the planet.
    Those things are hellaciously delicious. As in, no thanks to any other chocolate covered almond ever again, these are hands down the best.
    You know Rebekah and I have a TJ’s in our backyard. You should be super sweet to us and maybe you’ll get some. Haha!
    SUPER cute cooking uniform. In fact, did you want to start your own chef’s line? But really, I’d buy. :0
    Have an awesome weekend your adorable creature.

kumars kitchen
    November 22, 2013 at 3:03 pm

mug cakes look so perfectly spongy and tender…would love making them for the holidays 🙂

Danielle @ LabelsAreForTinCans
    November 22, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I like the sounds of these random ramblings! You know I like your music taste! 😉

That is also hilarious you woke up with a craving for cake… And actually made one! I am so impressed you didn’t wake your parents. That was always the challenge when I was cooking at home! (And making things late at night)

Kim @ BusyBod
    November 22, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Two things. First, your “bad photography” is better than my best photography. Second, I also loved that Jennifer Lawrence Buzzfeed. I feel like she acts how I would if I were ever a celebrity, which of course is why everyone loves her. Oh I lied, three things, I also love your magic happens photo!

Aimee / Wallflower Girl
    November 22, 2013 at 3:17 pm

:-0 that is the best middle of the night treat idea ever!

Tina @ Tinas Chic Corner
    November 22, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Love your cooking attire…um, you stole my look. 😉
    I’m currently addicted to ice cream. Yes, even though it’s cold out. 🙂
    Love Hunger Games books and I can’t wait to see the second movie. 🙂 I also love Harry Potter series. Now you got me rambling. Hehe. Have a great weekend Davida!

almostgettingittogether.com
    November 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I’m back on the almond butter train. I don’t know what happened but I literally can’t get enough. It’s bad.

And I love your cooking uniform… mine is about the same 🙂

Dale Levine
    November 22, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Davs – I cannot believe that you made a cake in a microwave at 4am. You’re too much! I love you a lot and miss you dearly!

Elise @ Cheers Yall
    November 22, 2013 at 3:54 pm

girl…yes! those TJs choc covered almonds are my jam too!! xx

Jessi Otey
    November 22, 2013 at 4:16 pm

yumm!!! Thanks for sharing!! Enjoy your weekend!

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    November 22, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I’m always interested in your random ramblings 🙂 They’re some of my favorite! I used to not like Jennifer Lawrence and then I saw various interviews with her and she’s growing on me. She’s so down to earth and not arrogant like a lot of other younger actresses and that’s really cool to see. The cake looks awesome! I love mug cakes and have one in mind but it has to wait until December! Have a great weekend!

November 22, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I’m pretty sure every adolescent or young adult female wants to be best friends with Jennifer Lawrence, myself included. She’s just awesome.
    And your cooking pictures look very similar to how mine would be, just sub the McGill sweatpants for Western 😉

Caitlin
    November 22, 2013 at 4:51 pm

i really love your cooking ensemble, mostly because it resembles my ensemble every night i spend at home. complete with messy bun and glasses. always glasses.
    the dark chocolate sea salt almonds sound like they’d be just as dangerous to me and for that reason i’m not sure if i want to even buy any! but let’s be real, i do. i need a tj’s trip soon. my tj’s is like 30 minutes from me so i don’t often go!

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    November 22, 2013 at 4:58 pm

They need to open a TJs near you! I totally dress in the exact same outfit. My husband comments how unfair it is that he doesn’t get to see me dressed up because the second I get home from work, I strip off my work clothes and put on my 15 yr old sweatshirt and pj pants 🙂 Comfy is the way to cook! I’m similarly addicted to those tweeny books. so good! And jennifer lawrence is just awesome…have you seen Silver Linings Playbook? One of my fave movies ever.

erica
    November 22, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Love you too divs! Your baking outfit is glorious. Not to mention you can casually make a cake in the MICROWAVE? You never cease to amaze me 🙂

Christina @ the athletarian
    November 22, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Ahaha you are too cute!! They opened a TJ’s right across the border in Buffalo!! I think I’m going to check it out on Sunday. I hope they have those almonds!

My current food weakness is Quest bars. Cannot. Stop.

November 24, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Don’t even get me started…If they weren’t so damn expensive I’d be all over them!

Road trip?

Dixya
    November 22, 2013 at 5:30 pm

im going to TJ just for that almonds tomorrow 😛

Monica
    November 22, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I am so with you about Trader Joe’s. I’m really hooked on a few of their things. I went this week and they were out of dark chocolate covered almonds. I think I would’ve seriously panicked if I didn’t have an almost full container still in my cupboard. Lesson: stock up! : )

November 24, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Noooooo that’s the worst! thank god for that spare container. I don’t want to know what life is like without them!

Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair
    November 22, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Not going to lie… I’m so excited for Catching Fire! I’m going to see it tonight in IMAX. I have a feeling it will not disappoint. PS – that Jennifer Lawrence buzz feed is amazing.

November 22, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I find you and your random ramblings hysterical, so please continue them! 🙂

I loveee those TJ’s dark chocolate almonds too. What is it about sea salt with sweets that is so damn good!?! And I also love Jennifer Lawrence and The Hunger Games. I told my mom that I’d see the movie with her when I visit my family next month, but I’m not sure that I can wait that long!

Laura @ Mommy run fast
    November 22, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Creating a mug cake at 4am? That is talent! Love your kitchen photo, too. 🙂 Have a great weekend!

nutritiouslysweet.com
    November 22, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Jennifer L. is awesome!!! Mmmm to dark chocolate almonds and hmmmmm to mug cakes and anything pumpkin 😉

Suzanne Poldon
    November 22, 2013 at 7:19 pm

On my menu this week was chocolate EVERYTHING!! But seriously, why aren’t I a cocoa bean at this point?? Gotta love PMS 🙂 You and I would look like twins in the kitchen. Represent!

Sammy
    November 22, 2013 at 7:19 pm

A mug cake….I love it!!!
    I have a similar “uniform” when I’m around the house – sub out the sweatshirt for a tank top (it’s hot here!)! 🙂
    -Sammy

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    November 22, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I cannot believe you got up and made yourself a mug cake! That is hilarious! I do the same thing with my friends and family… you should start a blog! Haha. It’s just so much fun!

Sarah Cook
    November 22, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I love Jennifer Lawrence too! How have I not heard of Peetnis before? Haha, that’s hilarious.

I think you look amazing in your sweats cooking. Much better than I do- trust me.
    Excuse me while I head to TJ’s for some some crack…

Sarah Cook
    November 22, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Excuse me while I head to TJ’s for some some crack…

Sarah Cook
    November 22, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Excuse me while I head to TJ’s for some some crack…

Paige Podbelsek
    November 22, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I’m SOOOOO excited for Catching Fire tonight!!! I’m counting down the minutes. Love you in your sweats….you’re adorable 🙂 And I can’t resist a good mug cake!

Alisha @ AlishasAppetite
    November 22, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I have a major girl crush on Jlaw!! Can’t wait to see the movie! Fingers crossed I can convince the hub to go this weekend. And dude- 4am recipe developing? That’s impressive!

Danielle @ Green is the New Black
    November 22, 2013 at 10:42 pm

That mug cake sounds delicious and dangerous at 4 am! I’m making a trip to Trader Joe’s this weekend and can’t wait to try those Almonds!

arman @ thebigmansworld
    November 22, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Maybe you’re destined to be a baker…I mean you wake up at a baker appropriate hour? Also your kitchen attire is pretty much spot on- seriously who wears a ball gown to cook?

Feel free to fedex those almonds. 😉

November 22, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I love your cooking look – these days that is my everything look (except I have short hair)!!!

Christie@kissesandkale
    November 22, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Haha you’re so funny! I love your cooking outfit! I can’t wait to see the Hunger Games either!

Whitney English, To Live and Diet in L.A.
    November 22, 2013 at 11:27 pm

That mug cake sounds phenom. I think I’ll make one around 3:15 am tomorrow morning 🙂

And I too am in love with Jennifer Lawrence, in a purely platonic way. Going to see Hunger Games: Catching Fire tonight. Excited!!

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    November 23, 2013 at 12:13 am

Wahhh I wish I had a chance to tell my mom to buy those TJs chocolate covered almonds. Chocolate covered almonds are my biggest weakness… I always have to buy a box or two when kids are selling them outside of stores for fundraising!

Haha I totally dress like that too when I’m cooking (and let’s be honest, whenever I’m at home and don’t have any immediate plans to leave)… only sub in Western gear, obviously. 😉

Katie @ 24 Carrot Life
    November 23, 2013 at 12:33 am

Those almonds are so addicting that I had to stop buying them because I kept going back for “just one more”. Your comment on my blog made my day!!

Arica Hun
    November 23, 2013 at 12:52 am

I’ve hears sooo much about mug cakes and yours is such a pretty color haha! I have to try it. I’m following you now on gfc. Can’t help but love a lady who isn’t afraid to post a photo of herself in sweats and gets up at the crack of dawn for cake! <3

atelier zozo

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    November 23, 2013 at 5:40 am

You and I wear the same uniform in the kitchen 😉

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    November 23, 2013 at 8:29 am

I think that my last comment didn’t get posted?? Anyways, I love the new design, the muffin (!!!) and the kitchen uniform. Mine looks quite the same 😉

Sarah
    November 23, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Jennifer Lawrence was on The Daily Show yesterday and I have a girl crush on her now too! She is hillarious and has an awesome new haircut!

I love the cooking uniform too. I take it no apron? I think one of you bloggers needs to take a poll of how many people wear aprons when they cook! I personally feel like I’m naked of I’m in the kitchen without one. Although a bathrobe can sometimes work as a substitute.

I think I may have to break down an try a mug cake one of these days. All the cool kids seem to be making them… But what I really want to know is if you actually have a 1/3tsp. measuring spoon?! I’ve never seen one. Maybe it’s a Canadian specialty item. Ha. Ha.

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome
    November 23, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Haha! I look about the same when I cook. I always think about those people who are all gussies up with their cute little aprons on cooking away. I do have quite a few cute aprons but I never wear them. Who needs an apron when you’re in old yoga pants and sweatshirst!?!

Mary Frances
    November 23, 2013 at 6:17 pm

At first, I thought someone had stolen your blog name and then I realized, this is a new design! It’s amazing Davida! So so fun … who did it or did you do it all on your own? Looks fabulous! As does your muffin:) I used to wake up in the middle of the night craving wedding cake … I couldn’t help that one. My current food craving creamy noodle casseroles and then chocolate banana ice cream. Haha, I wear the same stuff when I cook, too! Love reading your posts, girl!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    November 23, 2013 at 10:46 pm

HAH! I’m always trying to get people to blog about things, too 😉 I guess I just love it so much, I think everyone else should do it too!!! haha

Kat
    November 23, 2013 at 10:51 pm

yeaaaaa Ive got the WORST girl crush on J Law, not that having a crush on her is bad or anything, Im just sayin’, I crush on her pretty hard. Im so glad she is such a good person for young women to look up to.

November 24, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I spent two hours watching youtube video interviews of her. I think my crush is borderline obsessive haha. Now if only we could make Miley a bit more like her!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    November 23, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I may be a bit behind with this one I’m catching up on my blog reading this weekend). But I LOVE your blogs new look, it looks awesome!!! 😀

I am counting down till Wednesday when I get to see Catching Fire…I am obsessed with the books and Jennifer too!! I love all tween things too and on Amazon they pretty much always recommend tween books to me 😉

Love your cooking outfit! Mine is similar but I don’t always wear the exact same thing to cook in.

Carla
    November 24, 2013 at 3:48 am

All food is my food weakness. I’m trying to remain in control. My mug cakes stick to the side and do not want to come out. I guess I need more spray. I enjoy tween movies. Except hunger games. I like more Disney type stuff.

lotte
    November 24, 2013 at 9:07 am

definitely gonna try out that recipe! i’ve been craving ice cream at the moment since its almost summer and super hot!

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    November 24, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I LOVE DRAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He toured in our area last summer {2012} and he was AHHHHMAZING!

PS~Love the new lay out!!!

November 24, 2013 at 11:47 pm

So you’re gonna die when I tell you he works out at my gym 🙂 He’s a Torontonian! Thanks love!

Rika
    November 24, 2013 at 2:45 pm

What a fabulous blog & header makeover, when I opened your blog, I thought I was reading a different blog! Well done, Davida! When I stopped by Trader Joes the other day, there were loads of chocolate & caramel products – but most of them are not vegan. Oh you don’t annoy people at all..clearly these people should be sharing their talents if they have a passion in making or producing something! Haha, I love wearing thick socks, sweatpants and mostly pajamas whilst cooking, why not be comfortable in your own kitchen especially when the weather is cold?! Jennifer Lawerence isn’t a bad actress at all, I can’t wait to watch the 2nd part of Hunger Games, it’s lookin’ good so far!

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    November 25, 2013 at 12:36 am

I really like your random thoughts, as well as your kitchen attire & love Jennifer Lawrence. I really want to see that movie, just trying to talk my husband into it. 😉

Lauren @ Sweat The Sweet Stuff
    November 25, 2013 at 4:02 am

You re-did your blog. It’s cute! Lol sleep baking could be dangerous and I definitely would not be good at sleep photography! I’m pretty sure we all look like that when we bake btw! 🙂

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake
    November 26, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I can see how you got addicted to those almonds. Yum!

Ja @Ja on the RUN
    December 2, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Ahhhh running to Trader Joe’s right now to buy those almond dark chocolates. MMMMmmmm! 🙂

Ronnie
    May 6, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Pumpkin Spice cake in a coffee mug! That’s awesome! Did it taste good?

Dakwak.Org
    September 3, 2014 at 7:24 am

Woah this specific web site is actually great i like mastering your posts. Keep up to date the nice paintings! You now know, many persons feel the need all over due to this information and facts, you could possibly aid these tremendously.