breakfast gluten-free vegan winter

Peppermint Mocha Waffles

November 17, 2013

Get into the holiday spirit guilt-free with these gluten-free, vegan and healthy peppermint mocha waffles. A breakfast twist on a Starbucks classic!

I haven’t been entirely honest with you. All this time I’ve been going around talking about my pancake obsession and oatmeal addiction, but I really haven’t admitted my favourite breakfast food, waffles. I mean how could you not love them? They’re carby and huge and are made to absorb a pound of maple syrup.

I also think the fact that they require the extra step of taking out the waffle-maker makes them seem that much more special. Or maybe that extra step seems daunting and they end up being reserved for special occasions. Either way, if I wake up with the motivation to make waffles, I know it’s going to be a good day.
Peppermint Mocha Waffles - get your morning coffee and favorite holiday flavor in waffle form with these tasty, gluten-free AND vegan waffles!While I’m sharing my honesty here I think it’s important for me to admit that I’ve never actually had a peppermint mocha latte. Kathy has made it clear they taste like crack, and seeing as I already come from a city where our mayor smokes crack, i’m trying to avoid that stuff. But I love the taste of peppermint and mocha, and I think my taste buds are attune enough to figure out how they taste in combination. Turns out the taste of these peppermint mocha waffles is not surprisingly, freaking awesome.

Peppermint Mocha Waffles

Cook Time 30 mins

• 2 flax eggs (2 T ground flaxseed mixed with 6 T water)
  • 2 cups GF oat flour (ground oats)
  • 1/2 cup almond meal
  • 1 T baking powder
  • 1/3cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups strong coffee
  • 1/4 cup apple sauce
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp peppermint extract
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • Optional: 1/2 cup mint chocolate chips

1. Turn on waffle-maker.
  2. Make flax eggs and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl combine oat flour, almond meal, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
  4. In a separate bowl combine coffee, maple syrup, apple sauce, peppermint extract and apple cider vinegar.
  5. Add wet ingredients to dry and then stir in flax eggs.
  6. Let batter sit for 5 mins.
  7. Spray waffle-maker with non-stick spray or coconut oil.
  8. For large waffles use 1/2 cup of batter and cook according to waffle-maker instructions.
  9. Serve warm with maple syrup, nut butter or preserves of choice.
  10. These freeze well.

Pancakes or waffles? Are you a peppermint mocha fan?

Danielle @ LabelsAreForTinCans
    November 17, 2013 at 6:11 am

Please come make me breakfast now 🙂 I promise to take you to the beach in return!

Oh the crack jokes! Surprisingly people have stopped making fun of Rob Ford here in Vancouver. I guess it got kind of sad.

November 17, 2013 at 9:06 am

You have no joke sparked a huge waffle craving…so much so they are on the menu for this week. Good one. I don’t mind the peppermint mocha in a drink (only had it in the US) but I think the coconut or cinnamon roll waffles will be the winners!

Jessie
    November 17, 2013 at 10:36 am

Since I already know I’m getting a waffle maker for Christmas, I’m now even more excited after seeing this recipe. Can we just skip Thanksgiving and jump to December 25th already? I mean, Canada already celebrated Thanksgiving, cant we pretend us US folks did too? 🙂

D.
    November 17, 2013 at 12:55 pm

……AAAANNNNNDDDD the peppermint comes out! YAY! …Sorry. I’m a little irrationally excited for this! But wooohooo! I love waffles. And mocha. *Sigh* I’m totally a breakfast person. So much so, that my wedding in May is a brunch wedding just so that I can serve breakfast food without everyone looking at me like I’m off my rocker haha.

November 20, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I am SO onboard with that idea! I think I love you more than I already did just for having a wedding brunch!

November 17, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Confession: working with peppermint extract has always freaked me out a bit. I’m always under the impression that I’ll use way too much and that whatever I’m making will come out tasting like toothpaste. But since I trust your cooking skills more than mine, I’m going to go ahead and assume that these will satisfy my tastebuds a lot better than they’ll clean my teeth 😉 I’m not sure I could ever give up my oatmeal breakfasts, but waffles for lunch or dinner sounds like a pretty awesome idea.

November 22, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Girl we gotta get you over that fear! No toothpaste taste whatsoever. Technically they’re made of oats…does that count?

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    November 17, 2013 at 1:47 pm

You are the waffle goddess, my friend. If only I had a waffle iron…

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    November 17, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Haha I love the dig at Mayor Ford. Man, what craziness.

These look like my kinda crack though. 😉 I always forget I have a waffle maker… I need to make more use of it!

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    November 17, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I NEED to get a waffle maker! Those look sooo good.

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    November 17, 2013 at 3:04 pm

WAFFLES!!! I like them so much better than pancakes. I think this whole Rob Ford thing is absolutely hilarious. SO FUNNY. Am I evil for saying that?

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    November 17, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Those waffles look so drool-worthy!!! They are gorgeous & I want them!!
    Your mayor & crack joke – hilarious. Happy Sunday!! 🙂

Nicole @ Quest for Balance
    November 17, 2013 at 4:25 pm

OMG these look amazing! I’m definitely going to have to whip up a batch of these in the near future. You are lucky you’ve never tried the peppermint mocha from Starbucks, it really is unbelievably delicious. And what is up with Rob Ford, eh? It really embarrassing for our city. O well. Happy Sunday!

November 20, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I knowwww. I hate that I’m feeding into it, but he’s just so ridiculous I have a hard time stopping myself!

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    November 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Oh yeah girl….oh yeah. Peppermint mocha or peppermint chocolate is one of my all-time favorite combinations! These look awesome and very decadent!

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    November 17, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Call me crazy, but as much as I love my morning coffee, I’m not usually a fan of coffee-flavored foods. Your waffles might change my mind, though, if only I had a waffle maker! In the meantime, I’m dying laughing about your comment on Rob Ford …. oh boy is all I can say!

November 22, 2013 at 6:00 pm

He’s really giving my city a bad rep! Honestly the coffee is not the most prominent flavor, if anything it just enhances the chocolate!

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles
    November 17, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Laughing so hard at the crack joke. I started drooling at the name, let alone those pictures…when I get home for Thanksgiving, these are most definitely on my must-make list!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    November 17, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I made an effort and took out my wafflemaker in order to make cornbread waffles and wow, they were so good! They’re definitely my favorite breakfast food! Next time I take out the wafflemaker, I’m trying these recipe. These babies look wonderful and I’m a sucker for mocha anything, so I’m sure I’d love these 😉

November 22, 2013 at 6:01 pm

LOVED your cornbread waffle recipe 🙂 Then again I just love cornbread waffles! or just waffles. You get what I’m saying 🙂

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    November 17, 2013 at 6:00 pm

These look awesome. Even my boyfriend who I show tons of blog recipes too and usually doesn’t even flinch admitted these looks really good! One point the Healthy Maven! lol

Anyways question (which is probably stupid but I’ll ask anyways) how do you get your food pictures so it’s all just a white background? Are you just cropping the pictures ? Sorry I think my food pictures need some help lately lol

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    November 17, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Mint and chocolate is my favorite flavor combo, maybe above chocolate and peanut butter (WHAT?). Yep, I said it. These sound completely amazing and like the perfect Christmas treat. Have I mentioned that I love you for this recipe? Okay well if I haven’t… you rock.

November 22, 2013 at 6:02 pm

DO IT! but actually, do it and tell me all about it and then invite me over and we’ll eat waffles together and ahhhhh. just yes.

Mary Frances McNellis
    November 17, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Peppermint and chocolate for breakfast? I’m in! Waffles are one of my indulgent breakfasts, but I know your recipes won’t leave me in a sugar crash or something worse:) I can’t wait to try these! Love that they are oat based. Pinned!

Danielle @ Green is the New Black
    November 17, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I may have to go out and buy a waffle iron! These sound amazing!

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    November 17, 2013 at 7:43 pm

As ridiculous as this whole Rob Ford thing is, he has given us endless entertainment in the form of crack jokes. Silver lining right?

These look so good- peppermint mochas are like crack- best to stay away. Since as a city we are all one step away from drug addictions apparently 😉

November 20, 2013 at 9:05 pm

hahahaha noted. I hate to feed into it but he’s just too ridiculous not to make fun of!

November 17, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I love waffles and wish I weren’t so lazy about making them – maybe when the boys are out of school for Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks – they would be happy!!!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    November 17, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I ask you to please look for the Coffee-mate Peppermint Mocha creamer, I think you will fall in love. Drinking some with tea as I write this. Anyways – these waffles I want to eat – about 6 of them – yum!

Christie@kissesandkale
    November 17, 2013 at 10:21 pm

These look so good!! I love waffles for breakfast…or any meal. These look like a great breakfast choice for Christmas morning. Thanks for sharing!

Miss Polkadot
    November 17, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Not only has it been ages – and we’re actually talking years here! – since I last had waffles but you hit the spot with the chocolate and peppermint combo. I’m wholeheartedly convinced the two were made for each other. Too bad my brother kidnapped my mum’s waffle iron a while ago. It hasn’t been seen anymore since.
    Bonus points for cracking [pun not even intended] me up with tha joke about Ford ;).

November 22, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Awwww man. Why do brothers do that sort of stuff?!?! And mint chocolate really does make the world go round!

Glad I got some bonus points 😉

rika
    November 17, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I love carby waffles and maple syrup especially savory ones (green scallions)! What a great idea to use the peppermint extract for a minty flavor! I’m so excited for the big holidays – candy canes and loads of holiday candies! There’s a Peppermint Mocha @ Starbucks – do you think it’s vegan without the whipped and just soy? I love both pancakes & waffles, I can’t choose one! Thank you for sharing this awesome waffles!

November 20, 2013 at 9:02 pm

hmmm I’m not sure. I imagine it would be because its just the flavouring, coffee and milk? I’ll check it out for you!

Run like a G!
    November 18, 2013 at 12:00 am

One word: YUM!!!!
    I have to try these!

Lauren @ Sweat The Sweet Stuff
    November 18, 2013 at 12:42 am

So festive & delicious! I will definitely be having these this Wednesday for #wafflewednesday and then Friday I can finally make your pumpkin chai French toast since I can now go grocery shopping this week and re-load up on pumpkin puree!

November 22, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Waffle Wednesday and French Toast friday! Too bad no days of the week start with a p cause then we could cover all of our bases 🙂

almostgettingittogether.com
    November 18, 2013 at 1:12 am

UM can it be Saturday already so I can make these? THEY LOOK AMAZING. Pinning all of your waffle recipes RIGHT NOW.

November 22, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Come over. But seriously…come over and hang out with me. Even if the waffles are your only incentive 😉

Sarah Pie
    November 18, 2013 at 4:28 am

Fancy! I for now am stuck with waffles of the frozen variety, but I will have to add these to the list for the future when I have a waffle iron 🙂

Kathryn Landel
    November 18, 2013 at 5:09 am

My mouth is seriously watering right now! These waffles have EVERYTHING I love all in one little carbohydrate-filled package. I need to try this recipe asap!

November 22, 2013 at 6:18 pm

hahahaha this comment is amazing. Love me some mint-choco in a cabo-filled package 😉

Kim @ BusyBod
    November 18, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I’m so with you about waffles being special. I eat them exactly once a year: every Christmas morning when my dad makes them to order in a billion different flavor combos for my entire ginormous family.

November 22, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Can I come? I feel like Christmas morning in your house +waffles would be so much fun!

Em @ Love A Latte
    November 18, 2013 at 1:58 pm

How I missed this recipe the other day, I have no idea because it looks like HEAVEN and everything I want out of a waffle haha! I cannot wait to make these!!! You’re the best.

For love of carrots
    November 18, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I must invest in a waffle iron so I make these!! Peppermint and Mocha is by far one of my favorite combinations!

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    November 18, 2013 at 7:36 pm

These look awesome!!! My hubs is always begging me to make him waffles on the weekends, so this is getting added to my list for next time!

November 22, 2013 at 6:09 pm

He will love you forever. Suggestion, don’t make these for yourself and text a picture to your LD boyfriend…then he’ll hate you forever! haha

November 18, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I love peppermint hot chocolate, but don’t know if I’ve really eaten anything with a peppermint mocha combo. The waffles look delish! I’ve always loved pancakes, but for some reason I didn’t like waffles until a few years ago. I like breaking my waffle iron out every now & then to make a fancy breakfast!

November 22, 2013 at 6:20 pm

It’s so funny how waffles have a rep for being fancy! I’m so happy you got over your waffle aversion 😉

Paige Podbelsek
    November 19, 2013 at 1:46 am

YES YES YES I need all the chocolate/mint. All of it. Looks fantastic Davida!

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    November 19, 2013 at 3:10 am

Love peppermint mocha! Hmm that’s a tough one! What if I said French toast?? Just kidding. I love both but I guess maybe pancakes if I had to choose. It’s so close though!

November 22, 2013 at 6:21 pm

French Toast is bomb. As are pancakes. If you said neither then we might have a problem 😉

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    November 19, 2013 at 3:19 am

I bow down to your VEGAN waffle-making ways! I have such a hard time getting waffles to stay together let alone trying to make them without eggs…very nice, m’dear! Very nice INDEED! And how could you not love this flavor combo? Chocolate and mint were made for each other! But you know me…pancakes ALL the way! I made some pretty bomb diggity chocolate peppermint pancakes last year…both regular AND vegan and I totally had to take a minute to catch my breath after the first bite! So damn good! http://www.kissmybroccoliblog.com/2012/12/23/the-ultimate-christmas-combo/ Unfortunately, thanks to my never-ending clumsiness, Mr. Snowman plate will not be joining us for Christmas this year! :*(

November 22, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Actually depressing mr. snowman died 🙁 It sounds like the death was quick though! And your pancakes look bomb! Trick to vegan waffles? Lots of baking powder!

eating4balance
    November 20, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I’m impressed by how well they stuck together without any eggs! Vegan food at its finest 🙂

Miachel @ Spiced Curiosity
    November 20, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Mmm…these sound amazing! I love the taste of peppermint and the fact that you use flaxseed in your waffles. Will definitely have to try these out for a toasty brunch. 🙂

November 20, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Thanks!!! I’m always a bit nervous to make waffles without eggs but these turned out great!

November 22, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Oh my goodness, those look delicious! I’ll have to try them as pancakes since I don’t have a waffle maker.

Kierston @candyfit
    November 23, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Waffles…something I don’t ever make or eat very often. I do love them though. That carrot cake one…yum!!!

Link Love | Labels Are For Tin Cans
    November 24, 2013 at 11:07 am

[…] take these waffles over a peppermint mocha latte any […]

. link love 11/24 . | . running with spoons .
    November 24, 2013 at 12:54 pm

[…] Peppermint Mocha Waffles via The Healthy Maven. I would almost give up my oatmeal breakfasts for these. Almost. Instead, I’ll have them for dinner […]

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake
    November 26, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I’m pretty sure these would be like crack for me! And haha I love the mayor joke.

November 28, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I could totally be a waffle person IF I owned a waffle maker. You are such a tease, taunting me with this chocolate mint goodness. Looks delicious.

Healthy Vegan Friday: Holiday Flavors
    November 29, 2013 at 6:05 am

[…] 3. Most Enticing Breakfast aka Dessert – Peppermint Mocha Waffles from The Healthy Maven: […]

Thursday Thoughts, | Versatile-Vegan
    December 27, 2013 at 12:41 am

[…] Is it too late to make these Peppermint Mocha Waffles? What about these Pecan Pie Bars? Because if Matty B continues to hum “Frosty the […]

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    November 9, 2014 at 10:45 am

You know my obsession with your mint chocolate protein bars… I smell a new obsession!! GORGEOUS.

November 9, 2014 at 9:29 pm

DO IT!!!!! Oldie but a goodie. Hot damn I’m excited for peppermint season. P.S I added Zach on IG and it was the highlight of my life. Bye.

19 Delicious Breakfasts With Christmas In Every Bite - Home Writers
    December 24, 2014 at 12:52 pm

[…] Pop one in your mouth before loitering under the mistletoe. Get the recipe here. […]

19 Delicious Breakfasts With Christmas In Every Bite | YouShare
    December 24, 2014 at 1:59 pm

[…] Davida Kugelmass / Via thehealthymaven.com […]

19 Breakfasts That Will Make Your Christmas Morning Delicious | Around The World
    December 25, 2014 at 12:06 am

December 25, 2014 at 12:51 am

[…] Davida Kugelmass / Via thehealthymaven.com […]

19 Breakfasts That Will Make Your Christmas Morning DeliciousZociall | Zociall
    December 26, 2014 at 6:24 am

Alexus
    October 16, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Is there any way to replace the almond meal in these waffles?

October 18, 2015 at 3:38 pm

you could substitute it with another flour though it will change the consistency slightly. If you have any luck substituting, do let me know since I haven’t tried it myself.

Alexus
        October 18, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Ok! I definitely will be making these in the very near future lol! 🙂