breakfast Fall gluten-free pancakes/waffles/french toast vegan

Pumpkin Chai French Toast

November 1, 2013

Yes, I am aware it took me two weeks to post this recipe. I partially blame Recipage for shutting down on me and partially blame my brain for shutting down on me. I generally have a very good memory, but lately life has been so busy I’ve been forgetting things. Simple things like “did I just take my vitamins?” or my most recent incident, forgetting to wear a certain undergarment to work…let’s just say I was channeling my inner hippie for the day.

Pumpkin Chai French Toast // thehealthymaven.com #pumpkin #fall #glutenfree #vegan
What I’m trying to say here is that I am sorry. I’m sorry I forgot about this recipe. I’m sorry I denied you of this goodness for a full 12 days. I know you were at home pressing refresh on my homepage waiting for it to show up. Fear not, it is here now.
When recipage finally started working (anyone notice my angry tweets at them?) I checked out what was in my recipe arsenal and noticed FOUR pumpkin recipes waiting to be posted. The average person would think I am crazy, but if you’re a blogger you know what I’m talking about. The second you crack open that can of pumpkin you better bet that it is going to make it’s way into every single thing you make for the next week. Not a chance will you eat the pumpkin on its own, because if you’ve ever tried pumpkin you know it tastes like sh*t. But you will add it to everything you make because it magically transforms into something delicious when you do. Plus it’s an extra serving of vegetables and who doesn’t like that?

This is my apology to you in French Toast form. Please enjoy!

Pumpkin Chai French Toast

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Serves 4     adjust servings

• 8 pieces of gluten-free toast (I like Udi's Whole Grain)*
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk**
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp pumpkin spice (or 1/2 tsp dried cinnamon, 1/4 tsp allspice, 1/4 tsp nutmeg)
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom
  • 1/4 cup gluten-free oat flour (ground rolled oats)***
  • 1 T maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Combine oat flour and spices.
  2. In a separate bowl combine almond milk, pumpkin, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
  3. Mix wet ingredients into dry.
  4. Individually dip each piece of bread into french toast mixture until well-coated on each side.
  5. Spray a large pan with non-stick spray or coconut oil and on medium heat cook each piece of toast for 2-3 mins per side.
  6. Serve immediately with maple syrup, nut butter or favourite preserves.

Notes

Use regular bread if gluten isn't a problem.*Replace half of almond milk with David's Pumpkin Chai Tea steeped for 10 minutes for more pumpkin flavour. ***Or use whole wheat flour if gluten isn't a problem.

What sorts of things do you forget? Do you ever eat plain pumpkin?

Jan Sproutsnsquats
    November 1, 2013 at 10:36 am

Yum yum yum!! All of this recipe speaks to me!! The fact that it is Chai < < love my Chai! And that it is a breakfast recipe! Great job again on those Eclairs by the way they looked amazing!

Joanne
    November 1, 2013 at 10:43 am

Had to laugh at your “hippie” comment…I’d love to say I’ve never been there but….that would be thoroughly untrue. 😛 This french toast is INSANE. Pumpkin everything FTW!

Kim @ BusyBod
    November 1, 2013 at 10:44 am

Why why why don’t I have GF bread in the house right now?! I should have had it on standby!! I’m literally laying on the couch reading blogs and delaying getting up to make breakfast even though I’m starving. One crucial ingredient away from the most heavenly breakfast imaginable. Torture! I guess I’m stuck with eggs, but I think I’ll pick some bread up on my way home from class and make this for brunch <3

Thanks for sharing the deliciousness, I basically died reading your intro, so thanks for that 🙂 Have a fabulous weekend!

November 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm

dooooo it! I’m always missing the key ingredient. So annoying when that happens.

Glad at could make you laugh at my expense 🙂

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    November 1, 2013 at 11:31 am

Those look thick and delicious. What do you think your favorite pumpkin recipe you’ve made is, because I’m thinking of trying one this weekend?

Chelsea @ chelseashealthykitchen.com
    November 1, 2013 at 11:52 am

Taking 2 weeks to post a recipe is nothing! I’m guilty of waiting 2 months sometimes haha! But I’m glad you finally got around to posting this because it looks awesome! Pumpkin and chai is such a good combination. Call me crazy but I actually like pumpkin on its own! I mean, I don’t go around eating it out of the can, but when I’m making things with pumpkin in them, I’ll definitely have a spoonful or two.

November 1, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for making me feel better. But now I feel like I have an excuse to wait 2 months.

I’m going to call you crazy because I cannot for the life of me understand how canned pumpkin could ever taste good!

November 1, 2013 at 12:16 pm

So… I’m one of those crazies that doesn’t mind the taste of pumpkin on it’s own. I mean, if I’m going to have it plain then I usually add some spices and maybe a little maple syrup, but I can handle it straight from the can as well. That being said, I’ve been trying to hold back because my consumption of kabocha is already threatening to give me an orange glow… I don’t need anything else to add to that.

D.
    November 1, 2013 at 12:19 pm

This looks super yummy. I’m going to try and paleo-ify this recipe once I’m done with my 21 day sugar detox so that I can try it too! I love pumpkin. I’m so happy that Halloween is over and it’s on to the best season ever: Thanksgiving season. Pecans, and pumpkins, and chai, and and and and… well– you catch my drift. 🙂

November 1, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Yes! Let me know if you have success. I looooove thanksgiving too. My American mom insists we celebrate like Americans in November. I can’t complain 🙂

Khushboo
    November 1, 2013 at 12:32 pm

“..if you’ve ever tried pumpkin you know it tastes like sh*t.”-→ NO WONDER I am the only HLB not going ga-ga over pumpkin! I excitedly bought a can last year after hearing so much about it from fellow bloggers. After eating a spoonful straight up, I chucked the can in the bin- it was NASTY! I think it’s time I give canned pumpkin another shot and maybe this recipe will help me foster a love for the stuff. I am hopeful given my love for fresh pumpkin roasted up

November 1, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Glad to hear I’m not alone!!! For some crazy reason that shit transforms in this recipe. I don’t get it, but it works!

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    November 1, 2013 at 12:33 pm

How dare you keep us hanging, Davida! 😛 Yum, vegan french toast FTW! I love all things pumpkin so this is going on my to try list IMMEDIATELY.

I always forget to put on makeup. Oops…

Lexi @ Lexiscleankitchen
    November 1, 2013 at 12:43 pm

This looks seriously AMAZING! Totally understand the anger when a part of the blog doesn’t work properly!

P.S- The difference between homemade pumpkin puree and canned is insane! I could stick my face in a bowl of the homemade. Tastes sooooo good, unlike the canned!

Have a great weekend (and try to remember your underwear). XOXOX 😉

November 1, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I know, I know but I don’t have your squash chopping skills! But maybe it’s Mike doing the chopping, in which case can I borrow you Mike?

taylorbee
    November 1, 2013 at 12:53 pm

haha you crack me up! why IS IT that pumpkin tastes like sh*t out of the can (as you so eloquently pointed out), but it turns anything else into magic? craziness. also, this looks ridiculously amazing… chai and pumpkin sound like a magic made in heaven!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    November 1, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Um I kind of like to eat pumpkin right out of the can. Don’t hate me, I really like it in baked goods too! I’m sure i would love it in this french toast!

November 1, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I could never hate you! And according to the rest of the comments I’m clearly in the minority in my distaste!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    November 1, 2013 at 1:03 pm

This actually looks really easy to follow and something I could do! Plus I have a can of that pumpkin sitting in my cupboard and I don’t know what to do with it! Thanks for posting. Also, your story about forgetting a certain undergarment is hilarious.

November 1, 2013 at 1:08 pm

HAHAHA I love that you went to work missing a key piece of clothing. So funny. This french toast looks good because it doesn’t seem overly soggy. That’s my normal complaint with it.

November 1, 2013 at 7:12 pm

No sog! Next time you’re in town I’m feeding you this for breakfast…or maybe waffles!

Kathy @ Vodka and Soda
    November 1, 2013 at 1:18 pm

i only like pumpkin pie but everything else is a hit/miss for me…but pumpkin chai….oh, that needs to get in my belly now.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

November 1, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I think it’s okay to cheat on pumpkin pie with this. Come over for breakfast tomorrow!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    November 1, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Hahah inner hippie. Lovely. These look so good!! I made pancakes for the first time in a long time this morning so I’m eager to keep trying them and I think french toast is totally doable for me 🙂

November 1, 2013 at 7:21 pm

If you can handle pancakes, you can handle these! Well actually I think this is easier because I SUCK at flipping pancakes and well french toast just holds together better!

November 1, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I’m such a stereotypical blogger in the sense that I absolutely adore anything pumpkin flavoured. I don’t think I can eat it straight out of the can, but throw some spices and sweetener in there and I’m good to go!
    And nothing wrong with being a hippie once in a while 😉

Sarah Pie
    November 1, 2013 at 2:00 pm

The only thing I like better than french toast? French toast that I know will work with GF bread, that happens to have all the spices of my favorite tea! Can’t wait for a free weekend to try this recipe out 🙂

November 1, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Let me know your thoughts!!! French toast is a toughie with GF recipes but this one was great!

Leslee S
    November 1, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I’m always impressed by the beautiful photos in your posts, lovely.

November 1, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Thank you Leslee!!! So sweet of you 🙂 I was a hangry monster when I was taking these pictures lol

Archana@FeedingTheFoodie
    November 1, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I forget a lot of things these days, the worst of which are I need milk to add to my coffee, so I’ll go to the fridge and pull out eggs and then stare at them wondering why I’m holding them! Drives me insane. But forgeting an undergarment – that cracked me up! I hope it wasn’t too cold 🙂
    and thanks for posting the recipe… I like the pumpkin chai idea..

November 1, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I’m exactly the same!!!! I’m always like “why is this in my hands?” or “why did I walk over here?”. Drives me nuts!! Guess I’m alone on the whole forgetting your bra thing lol

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    November 1, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Haha you are forgiven! 😉 Have a great weekend!

Em Kathryn
    November 1, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I never eat plain pumpkin – generally just bake it into recipes – but I know my dogs love it right out of the can haha! So excited to see this recipe posted! Thanks for sharing!

apieceofcait
    November 1, 2013 at 4:03 pm

oh man I love me some pumpkin. this looks fantastic!!!

Cailee Joy
    November 1, 2013 at 4:14 pm

This looks amazing!! So tasty!! I love pumpkin around this time of year! 🙂 YUMMY

November 1, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I always feel weird eating pumpkin in the summer so I basically overdose all fall and winter long!

November 1, 2013 at 4:28 pm

This looks really good!! I don’t eat much pumpkin but I think I would like it like this! Pinned it to try for the boys this weekend – they love french toast and a weekend is always a good time to make them a real breakfast!!

November 1, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Give it a shot and let me know what you think! I didn’t taste the pumpkin much (more the spices) but it helps to give the eggy french toast texture without the eggs!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    November 1, 2013 at 4:45 pm

YUM yum yum yum yum yum. That’s all I can really say about that. The idea of using chai tea in the recipe as well is really cool, I bet it adds a whole new layer of flavor to this. Have a great weekend Davida!

November 1, 2013 at 7:18 pm

the chai tea made it for me but it’s still good without it! YOU have a great weekend sweets!

Sammy
    November 1, 2013 at 6:05 pm

That looks amazing!!! I bought a huge can of pumpkin and barely used it – sad but true 🙁
    I actually forget EVERYTHING! I have post-it notes everywhere because if I don’t write it down it’s forgotten! A bra though, I’ve never forgotten! that lol 😉

November 1, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I write on my hand and have post-its everywhere! I still manage to forget some important things ahem bras…

Lauren Clement
    November 1, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Shut. Up! This is a piece of heaven! I have pumpkin waiting to be used up, too! YUM! TGIF 😉

Kierston @candyfit
    November 1, 2013 at 6:40 pm

SO funny! I sent them a few tweets/emails too! So happy it’s up and running again 🙂

Lovin’ the recipe too! Have a fabulous weekend!

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    November 1, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Oh baby this looks fantastic! I’ve been in the mood for French toast recently!

November 1, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Make this. Seriously, pass on all my other recipes but make this! I have a feeling you’ll like it 🙂

Miss Polkadot
    November 1, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Okay, so when did you say I could come over for breakfast again?! This seriously has me consider to give French Toast another try. Ony I might be too lazy to prepare pumpkin puree right now … woops. But thank you for letting me know the canned stuff isn’t all that amazing on its own so I might not be missing out on too much in the end?
    Happy Friday and mail coming you way soon!

November 4, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Any day you want beauty! I know, FT isn’t my favourite but this was a serious breakfast contender. Not missing out on anything besides convenience with the canned pumpkin 🙂

mrsmurphyslawoffitness.com
    November 1, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Another one to add to my brunch recipes! I forget things all the time. Yesterday I ran into starbucks and tried locking my door with the key chain thingy and it never beeped. I went in and got my coffee anyway, came out and my car was still running.. seriously. (you can take the keys out of the ignition and the car stays running until you press stop.)

November 4, 2013 at 8:45 pm

bahahahaha thanks for giving me a good laugh! Can’t even tell you the number of times I’ve lost my zen in yoga because I start worrying whether I locked the car!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    November 1, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Mmmm this looks so good! You’re so right about plain pumpkin haha, it definitely does not taste good alone!

almostgettingittogether.com
    November 1, 2013 at 8:51 pm

This looks amazing… I’m going to make this tomorrow to carb-load for Sunday!

Melissa
    November 1, 2013 at 9:20 pm

This looks AMAZING! I love french toast and pumpkin, so to combine the two is genius and truly heavenly! I’ll be saving this recipe to make soon!

holly ; the hobbit kitchen
    November 1, 2013 at 9:31 pm

how did you know?! i’ve been craving french toast for weeks, finally got around to buying some bread today, and then i see this recipe! perfect timing!
    the hobbit kitchen x

May I have that recipe?
    November 1, 2013 at 9:34 pm

It’s like all the best fall flavors in one delicious dish! YUM

Run like a G!
    November 1, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Looks yummy!
    PS~You crack me up — “I know you were hitting refresh!” 🙂

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    November 1, 2013 at 9:54 pm

HAHAHA I have not a good memory either! But man, these look amazing. So so so so good that I’m even planning on making them tomorrow to to carb-load for Saturday like that girl said. I want them!

November 1, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Davida this looks amazing and NO eggs? Never had french toast in such a way!

I hear you on the pumpkin thing- I have several pumpkin recipes to post up purely because of the stupid huge can. I swear they make them that big so you are forced to be creative. I despise canned pumpkin plain but mixed with cinnamon, protein powder, cottage cheese, cereal and nuts…its bangin’

November 4, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I know right?!?! Who woulda thought you could make french toast without eggs! Need to start mixing CC and pumpkin! Sounds like a winning combo!

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia
    November 2, 2013 at 2:15 am

i haven’t eaten french toast since i was a wee one. mom made traditional french toast with sliced bread in a milk, cinnamon, and egg bath, cooked and drenched in pure maple syrup.

i am a no eggs, no oil, no sugar, no flour, no dairy kinda gal now so this recipe IS perfect! but twelve days was too long Davida! i accept your apology 😀 xx

Love What You Do
    November 2, 2013 at 2:33 am

This looks incredible! I love pumpkin EVERYTHING!

November 4, 2013 at 9:07 pm

haha me too! I may be getting a tiny but sick of it though! Still have to get through my arsenal of pumpkin recipes so don’t worry, more to come 🙂

nutritiouslysweet.com
    November 2, 2013 at 3:17 am

Omg! These loooook so yummmy! I never eat plain pumpkin…ewww but add alil pumpkin pie spice then maybe 🙂

Jessie
    November 2, 2013 at 3:24 am

This post just screams fall – pumpkin, leaves & chai. While I was reading this post yesterday, Joshua just happened to look over and couldn’t stop talking about how delicious they looked. Definitely says a lot because he’s not a huge pumpkin fan. Big win for you =)

Megan (The Lyons Share)
    November 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Hahaha, you kill me :). Love this!

Carla Bruns
    November 3, 2013 at 12:52 am

Love this recipe, Davida! Okay, so glad that I am not the only one who thinks pumpkin tastes like poo. I guess I should try more pumpkin recipes because then maybe I would appreciate it more.

November 4, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Definitely not the only one! But for some crazy reason it transforms in other recipes!

eating4balance
    November 3, 2013 at 1:51 am

I can basically eat anything plain, including pumpkin. And plain greek yogurt, regular pancake batter, vanilla extract, etc. Haha.

I take forever to post promised recipes as well! 🙂 So no worries there.

Great idea with soaking the bread in the pumpkin/egg mixture! Sounds amazing and looks even better.

November 4, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I’m so impressed by you! And thank youuuu. Who knew pumpkin could mimic eggs? Such a strange veggies 🙂

Mary Frances McNellis
    November 3, 2013 at 2:27 am

I personally love pure pumpkin … but I love it in baked goodies as well, ESPECIALLY breakfast. I would love a stack of this! Pumpkin and chai sounds like such an incredible combo. It would make any “hippie” day better 😉

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    November 3, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I didn’t even notice recipage was shut down! Just goes to show how often I have been blogging recently….;)

I think the deliciousness of this recipe more than makes up for the delay in posting it! I wish I had bread at home so I could make this pronto!

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    November 4, 2013 at 1:54 am

Wow- those look awesome! Can’t wait to see what other pancake recipes you have in store 🙂

November 4, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I think I should just blog about FT, Waffles and pancakes. The things that make me complete!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    November 4, 2013 at 4:16 am

I am currently craving french toast so bad but honestly when aren’t I? What’s not to love about french toast? I can’t wait to try your version!

November 4, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Who doesn’t crave french toast? I don’t want to be friends with people like that lol!

Sarah Cook
    November 4, 2013 at 5:21 am

I can’t believe you forgot to wear a bra to work! (I’m assuming that’s what it was) Hopefully you had a sweater or jacket to cover up with.

This french toast was well worth the wait. It looks delicious! I’ve actually never tried pumpkin on it’s own but I can imagine it would taste pretty shitty! 😉

November 4, 2013 at 9:07 pm

hahaha yup! I managed to cover it up under a baggy sweater but still. Avoid plain canned pumpkin at all costs. Spare your taste buds!

Maureen Hitipeuw
    November 4, 2013 at 8:30 am

Oh that looks so delicious! I haven’t had french toast in ages let alone pumpkin one. 😀 Off to pin your recipe.

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    November 4, 2013 at 3:12 pm

The recipe was worth the wait!!! looks amazing. Also, I love your leafy autumn decor 🙂

November 4, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Thanks!!! I never thought in a million years I’d be examining leaves to see if they were food prop worthy!

Laura@ Fit Running Mam
    November 5, 2013 at 2:15 am

Sounds amazing– pinning and making YUM

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    November 7, 2013 at 11:00 am

Wait, Recipage went down? I do remember having some problems with it one night not long ago, but I thought it was just my computer! Hmm!

Mmmm, pumpkin and chai…can’t go wrong with that pairing! But I have to disagree with you on the plain pumpkin…my spoon dips into the can just about every time it’s out! Yum! 😛

veganmiam.com
    November 8, 2013 at 4:17 am

Mmmmmmm pumpkin chai french toast?! That looks fantastic, I want to eat it with loads of maple syrup & Earth Balance butter! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm love the thick toasts 😉

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake
    November 10, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Apologies that come with food are always welcome! Hehe! I can’t believe I haven’t had French toast in a few years. How have I let that happen?

Anna Dawson@online doctor
    November 11, 2013 at 7:49 am

I make French toast almost everyday. My daughter loves it that much! First time I have ever heard of pumpkin French toast though. Looks yum.

plasterers bristol
    November 11, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Wow what a wonderful recipe………… Looks delicious.

Simon

Friday Faves #12
    December 6, 2013 at 11:28 am

[…] Davida’s Pumpkin Chai French Toast! […]

Egg-Free Breakfasts and Brunches | Food Bloggers of Canada
    April 7, 2015 at 2:05 am

[…] you want to get fancy, you could try pumpkin chai French toast, banana French toast, or even oatmeal French toast WITHOUT THE […]