fitness

{From Left to Write} Downton ABbey Workout

December 16, 2013

It’s book club day! Well actually yesterday was book club day but my book arrived late and life has been overwhelmingly crazy so finding the time to read has been a struggle. Fortunately the read was easy and I thoroughly enjoyed every page. This was to be expected considering the book this month was Lady Catherine, the Earl, and the Real Downton Abbey

17345207We’ve already discussed my affinity for terrible British reality TV but my love of British TV extends beyond the trashy variety. I am a huge fan of Downton Abbey. I consider it the only TV show of substance that I watch. Okay so it’s filled with it’s own set of drama, but if it airs on the BBC and PBS I’m calling it quality television. It was a no-brainer that I would participate when From Left to Write chose this book. Here’s a short synopsis:

Lady Catherine, the Earl, and the Real Downton Abbey, tells the story of Catherine Wendell, the beautiful and spirited American woman who married Lady Almina’s son, the man who would become the 6th Earl of Carnarvon. The couple presided over Highclere Castle, the grand estate that serves as the setting for the hit PBS show. Following the First World War, many of the great houses of England faded as their owners fortunes declined in the new political and social world of the 1920s and 1930s. As war loomed, Highclere’s survival as the family home of the Carnarvons was again in the balance—as was peace between the nations of Europe.

Using copious materials—including diaries and scrapbooks—from the castle’s archives, the current Countess of Carnarvon brings alive a very modern story in a beautiful and fabled setting, paying particular attention to the staff who provide Highclere Castle with continuity between generations.

For any Downton Abbey fans and/or history buffs you will love this book!

Now that I’ve come clean about my TV habit, I thought I would put a twist on today’s book club post. When I watch TV I tend to go on a bender and after 6 hours of TV watching it’s easy to feel pretty sluggish. One thing I’ve adopted is trying to be a bit more active while lounging on the couch. Sometimes this means tricep dips or squats during commercial breaks and other times I’ll just sit on my stability ball and bounce (true story!). But why not get a little more creative?

I’ve adapted some classic Downton Abbey moments to make your abs burn and your body sweat. Because nothing makes you think of a six pack quite like Downton Abbey, right? Have fun!

downton abbey workoutThis post was inspired by Lady Catherine, the Earl, and the Real Downton Abbey by The Countess of Carnarvon. Learn more about the family who lived in Highclere Castle, and where the popular British series Downton Abbey is filmed. Join From Left to Write on December 17 we discuss Lady Catherine, the Earl, and the Real Downton Abbey.  As a member, I received a copy of the book for review purposes.

Are you a Downton Abbey fan? Do you ever workout while watching TV?

Nancy
    December 16, 2013 at 10:42 pm

This is so funny and way better than a drinking game! I should marathon-watch the last season in preparation for the new one, and do these exercises!
    Nancy recently posted…Pull Up The People

December 16, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Working out while watching TV would require actually watching TV, whiiiiich is something I’m not that great at. I got cable when I first moved into my new place because I thought it’d be a nice thing to have around in case I got lonely, but I cancelled it after a few months because I never actually turned my TV on. I’ll watch the odd movie here and there, but I’m usually either reading or on the computer when I’m hanging out at home.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. chewy white chocolate cranberry oatmeal cookies .

December 17, 2013 at 10:34 am

By TV I mean illegally watching on my computer haha. Also I don’t know what I’d do without Netflix. I have a problem…

Jessie
    December 16, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Since I’ve never seen a single episode of downtown abbey (we can still be friends right?), i’ll have to use it for another show… which may be hard because I don’t watch too much tv. Hmm!!
    Jessie recently posted…Eating healthy on Christmas day

Jeanette | Jeanette's Healthy Living
    December 16, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I’ve heard so much about Downtown Abbey but yet to watch it. I do love having the TV on when I work out – makes the treadmill time go a lot faster. It’s also probably the only time I get to watch TV during the day, which makes it a special treat.
    Jeanette | Jeanette’s Healthy Living recently posted…100+ Healthy Christmas and Holiday Dessert Recipes

December 17, 2013 at 10:36 am

I used to watch oprah on the treadmill almost everyday! I swear I started working out less when Oprah went off the air haha.

Don’t be upset with me when you get addicted to DA 😉

Sarah Pie
    December 16, 2013 at 11:56 pm

I’ll admit to sit ups and planks while watching trashy tv… makes me feel a little better about my life 😉

Now what I really need is a workout I can do while I’m bingeing on a book!!

December 17, 2013 at 10:40 am

I’m exactly the same! Since I’m deteriorating my mind I may as well improve my body haha

holly ; the hobbit kitchen
    December 17, 2013 at 3:40 am

hahaa this is genius, davida! 🙂 i did watch downton abbey fanatically until a certain somebody died… then i just couldn’t bear to anymore!
    the hobbit kitchen x
    holly ; the hobbit kitchen recently posted…12 days of christmas: cheese, bacon & apple baked potato

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    December 17, 2013 at 4:18 am

I love this! I am a huge Downton Abbey fan! I want to read this book! The AB routine is clever!!
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Guide to Staying Fit While Traveling

kathy @ vodka and soda
    December 17, 2013 at 6:29 am

haha this is fabulous. i don’t workout and watch tv or it’ll just be me lying on the ground watching tv instead of working out.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda
    kathy @ vodka and soda recently posted…relationship tips

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green
    December 17, 2013 at 6:36 am

Haha love this! So clever. I’m not a Downtown Abbey fan (haven’t even watched it once to be honest) but drinking.. err.. workout games like this are the best!
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…The Week Before Christmas

Karen @karenlovestorun
    December 17, 2013 at 6:44 am

I love this! I am a HUGE Downton Abbey fan! I’ve head about this book but haven’t picked it up yet. I workout and watch tv if I am on the treadmill 😉
    Karen @karenlovestorun recently posted…Morning, Noon or Night?

December 17, 2013 at 10:47 am

Nothing better than getting lost in a run and TV show! Oprah used to be my running buddy haha

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    December 17, 2013 at 7:11 am

workout like this are great. I like working out while watching tv because it distracts me and also doesn’t make me feel so bad for just sitting in front of the TV
    Elise @ 9toFit.com recently posted…5-3-2 Full Body Workout! & win $200 !

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    December 17, 2013 at 7:44 am

Omg, this is AWESOME! Lol! I love me some Downton Abbey, but it’s been FOREVER since I’ve seen it…and it’s not available on Netflix streaming! Gahhhh! #firstworldproblems
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Movie Monday

Book Club Day: Lady Catherine, the Earl and the Real Downton Abbey
    December 17, 2013 at 8:01 am

[…] Davida from The Healthy Maven offers a British aristocracy themed workout to make you sweat. […]

Jen @ SavedbytheKale
    December 17, 2013 at 8:07 am

Love, love Downton Abbey…actually have the theme song as my ringtone 🙂 Can’t wait for it to be back on, January right? Usually I workout to music but ever now and then I’ll watch something on tv.
    Jen @ SavedbytheKale recently posted…It’s the Little Things!

December 17, 2013 at 10:48 am

Obsessed with the fact that’s your ringtone. I think we should be friends!

Jen @ SavedbytheKale
        December 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Definitely! I sent you an email with the guac recipe and also let you in on a little obsession of my own, ha! Let me know if for some reason you don’t get it email.

If I lived closer we would have to have a Downton viewing party! 🙂
        Jen @ SavedbytheKale recently posted…It’s the Little Things!

Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen
    December 17, 2013 at 8:15 am

I love this! I’ve never thought to switch a drinking game into a workout, but boy I’m on board! I’ve never seen this show, but I’d love to try working out during a tv show. Hm maybe Keeping up with the Kardashians. That could get funny!
    Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen recently posted…Today is Marvelous

December 17, 2013 at 8:30 am

you already know that I adore this show, so I absolutely love this! I usually just have music going while I work out, but once in a while I’ll watch TV….if I’m on a treadmill/elliptical with a TV, I tend to throw on the food network!

And side note: my stability ball never gets use anymore, but I love the idea of bouncing on it while watching TV!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Elf for Health: Week 3 Recap.

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    December 17, 2013 at 8:57 am

Love the workout haha. I’ve never seen Downton Abbey, but I’ll need a new show obsession with Christmas vacation coming up. It sounds really good so I might need to start watching it!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…I missed my gym

December 17, 2013 at 9:10 am

Ok, is it just me, or does that also sound like a pretty funny drinking game? 😉
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…Naturally Red Velvet Cupcakes

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots
    December 17, 2013 at 9:22 am

Obsessed with Downton Abbey and I cannot wait for it to come back!! I must read this book!
    Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted…Brussels Sprouts with Buffalo Sauce and Goat Chese

December 17, 2013 at 10:52 am

I may or may not be up to date on the new season…Not like I do any illegal downloading or anything….whoops!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    December 17, 2013 at 9:31 am

Love this post. I really enjoy TV themed workouts. They’re like drinking games but healthier! Haha. I have an affinity for ones that go with what type of commercial you’re watching. Also Harry Potter movie workouts are fun!
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Let’s Talk About Intimidation

December 17, 2013 at 10:53 am

A workout that duals as a drinking game is my style haha. I’ve never seen an HP movie! Don’t hate me!

Becky@TheSavedRunner
    December 17, 2013 at 9:38 am

Haha I love how creative you got with the workout! I have actually never watched Downtown Abbey. I do love to workout while watching T.V. though. I record every episode of Dr. Oz, so I have really started to like working out while watching one of those episodes.
    Becky@TheSavedRunner recently posted…Customizing TheStyle: One Theme, Five Ways

December 17, 2013 at 10:53 am

I think Dr. Oz would make me want to workout too! I used to workout to Oprah before she went off the air 🙁

Jackie
    December 17, 2013 at 9:44 am

This is great. Love it!
    Jackie recently posted…{Tasty Tuesday} Oatmeal Raisin Oats

Em @ Love A Latte
    December 17, 2013 at 9:46 am

I want to watch that show! I love working out with TV. Last winter I always had the TV in front of me when running on the treadmill. I’m a big fan of watching old Grey’s Anatomy episodes on the elliptical or Sex and the City. Have a great day!
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Wonderful Winter Weekend

December 17, 2013 at 10:55 am

I used to run while watching Oprah before she went off the air! Loved it. You need to start watching DA but don’t get mad at me when you get hooked 😉

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    December 17, 2013 at 10:01 am

I’ve never watched Downton Abbey but I think I might start! People seem to love it. Have you ever seen The Mighty Boosh? That’s the kind of really terrible British tv I like!
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…Pause in the Programming

Reba- Not So Perfect Life
    December 17, 2013 at 10:30 am

I am obsessed with this show! I can’t wait for the season to start! Have you ever read the Luxe novels? If not you should!

December 17, 2013 at 10:56 am

Well now I know my winter break reading…I may or may not be up to date on the new season 😉

December 17, 2013 at 10:57 am

I’m lame and have never jumped on the Downtown Abbey band wagon but now I sort of want to watch it just so I can play along with the fun workout!!!
    Kim recently posted…Christmas Memories

December 17, 2013 at 11:25 am

I am currently obsessed with Downton Abbey even though it take me until this Fall to jump on the bandwagon. To get really hooked on a show, it seems like I require commercial free episodes to really get good and hooked to shows. Thank goodness for OnDemand. I don’t really watch enough television to worry about working out while watching.
    Cassie recently posted…Tuesday Ten #3: Gratitude List

Cailee @ http://hellohealthyeating.com
    December 17, 2013 at 11:28 am

What a great idea!! I love love love Downton! Such a great, well made show!
    Cailee @ http://hellohealthyeating.com recently posted…Dorm Room Snacks

Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal
    December 17, 2013 at 11:29 am

This is one of the best things I’ve seen in a long time. Someone dies…LOL! But how am I supposed to do 2 min planks when I’m bawling my eyes out!? I absolutely love this show. Totally addicted!
    Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal recently posted…How Beach Volleyball Helped Improve My Body Image

December 17, 2013 at 11:31 am

I just pictured you crying hysterically in a plank and it made me burst into laughter. Thanks for that hahaha

Lauren @ ihadabiglunch
    December 17, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Haha this is great! I don’t watch Downton Abbey but this would work for a lot of other shows. I also like the suggestion of turning this into a drinking game too 😉 so many possibilities!
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…Skinny Spanakopita (recipe)

December 18, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Start with the workout and then you can justify the drinking game 😉 Or try it the other way around…could make for an interesting night haha!

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    December 17, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Because I do not watch Downtown Abbey, does this mean I don’t have to do this workout?! LOL!!!!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted…Check Out My Meat… Loaf That Is!

Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries
    December 17, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I have never seen Downton Abbey but I hear it’s amazing! AND I love that you turned it into a workout! Hilarious!
    Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries recently posted…Breaking News: All Victoria’s Secret Sport Bras are $25!

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com
    December 17, 2013 at 2:20 pm

“Someone dies = 2 minute plank” waaat???? how many times does someone die? The reason I ask is cos planks are my nemesis!
    I don’t watch a whole lot of TV, other than tivo-d episodes of Nashville or something my daughter records, its on as background noise sometimes or when I am on the treadmill. So glad to know am not the only one who bounces on their stability ball 🙂
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted…Banana Walnut Granola Muffins!

December 18, 2013 at 1:19 pm

You don’t even want to know how many times they’ve killed off my favorite characters…they are ruthless!

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    December 17, 2013 at 2:38 pm

i have not seen a single episode of this 🙁
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…Holiday Party Photo Essay

Melanie @ HappyBeingHealthy
    December 17, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I’ve never seen Downtown Abbey, but it seems like everyone loves it. I love, love, love the workout you created. Soooo hilarious and such a great idea!
    Melanie @ HappyBeingHealthy recently posted…SweatGuru: a Wonderful Online Fitness Resource

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health
    December 17, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Bahaha- you crack me up! At first, I thought you accidentally hit the caps lock when you typed ABbey.

I’ve never seen Downton Abbey but I hear I’m missing out. I don’t know what it is about British accents that turn me off. My brain just automatically assumes it’s boring. I realize how horrible that sounds but it’s true!
    Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted…Conscious Box Review

December 18, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Sometimes the show seriously needs subtitles. I have issues with every single accent. And don’t get me started on impressions. I’m like Paul Rudd in “I love you man”!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    December 17, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I haven’t watched Dowton Abbey but I’ve heard good things about it 🙂 I really should get onto it.

I used to workout whilst watching tv shows on my phone when I was on the bike or cross trainer, but since I don’t do as much cardio anymore I don’t do it so much. Love the idea of your workout though as you watch.
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…7 Days to go…

Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A.
    December 17, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Haha this is great! I’m not a fan of Downton Abbey but I can easily change this into a Real Housewives of Beverly Hills workout.

I’ll just change “Every time someone says poor Edith” to “Every time Brandi calls Joyce, Jacqueline.” And every time “someone dies” to every time “someone says F@#$ Off.” Perfect!!

Carla
    December 17, 2013 at 8:27 pm

If I’m going to get a good workout in, I may need to take up watching this show. And join the rest of the world. I’ll tell my hubby about the book, I think he’ll like it. Since he also likes Downtown Abby. He’s not likely to do the workout though.
    Carla recently posted…Badass Shannon Is Badass Fit!

Madison @ Eating 4 Balance
    December 17, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Haha. Oh, I SO need to do this with some of my favorite shows!

I’ve never watched Downton Abbey but I promised my mom I would since she loves it. Now I need to email her this workout. Too cool Davida.
    Madison @ Eating 4 Balance recently posted…What Food REALLY Looks Like – The Ethics of Food Photo Editing

Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet
    December 18, 2013 at 12:17 am

This is so cool! I remember when Harry Potter came out and they had workouts for the movie while you watched. Pretty cool stuff! And I really need to read more, I am slacking 🙁

December 18, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Don’t hate me but I’ve never seen a Harry Potter movie! But a 2 hour workout with wizards sounds pretty intense haha

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy
    December 18, 2013 at 1:31 am

Though, I haven’t seen Downton Abbey, I love the workout! I used to enjoy working out while watching TV, especially running on the treadmill, but since I have been doing CrossFit the past two years, I only workout to music!
    Melissa @ Fit ‘n’ Well Mommy recently posted…Five Tips To Survive Holiday Parties

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    December 18, 2013 at 11:32 am

I LOVE Downton Abbey and this book sounds awesome! I’m totally getting it when I finish the book I’m reading now. Thanks for letting me know about it!!!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    December 18, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I love love love love love Downton Abbey!! Seriously, that show is amazing. It’s the only one I ever watch, actually ; )
    I’m definitely trying this workout next time I watch it. Yay, it sounds so fun!
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…Homemade Baileys Irish Cream

December 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm

This is SO FUN. I love Downton Abbey but I’m a failure when it comes to all TV and haven’t finished the last season (nor the last season of Mad Men, 30 Rock, or the Office.)

I work out while watching Good Morning America in the morning… does that count?
    Cassie recently posted…Carrot Cake Stuffed Pancakes

Ksenija @ With An Open Mind
    December 20, 2013 at 5:27 am

Hahaha awesome. Might also serve as a drinking game… just sayin 😉 Too sad I don’t watch Downtown Abbey. You really got me curious here. I might start in France.
    Ksenija @ With An Open Mind recently posted…Francipation!

Luv What You Do
    December 24, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Love it! I am watching the BBC marathon of Dr Who! We are huge Downton fan’s in our house and I am reading another one of the author’s books right now!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…12 Days of Recipes {Day 10-Happy Xmas Eve!}