fitness

{Guest Post} Fight Holiday Weight Gain with Friends

December 6, 2013

A workout? On The Healthy Maven? It’s been 3 months since I’ve posted a workout…Whoops. Luckily I have some awesome friends who are willing to step in while I’m nursing this pesky injury. One of these friends is Elise over at 9toFit. And she totally lives up to the name, this lady it FIT.

We all know the holidays can be pretty stressful if you’re trying to lose weight or at least trying not to gain any. I’m an advocate of allowing yourself to indulge since the holidays only come around once a year, but that doesn’t mean going overboard or becoming sedentary.

That second point is a very important one. Vacation (or at least some time off) is the perfect excuse to get active. What better way to spend time with family and friends than to kick each other’s butts? Elise has some awesome tips for you today on how you can move your bods and recruit your friends to avoid that dreaded holiday weight gain!

fight holiday weight gainHi all! My name is Elise and I blog over at 9toFit.  Recently I have been having a “Feature Friday” post, where I highlight other bloggers, fitness enthusiastic, yogis, etc.  I have been a fan of Davida’s blog ever since the first time I stumbled upon it. She is a baking guru and I love her fun and relatable writing style. That being said, it was about time that I featured her! Go check out her Q&A and recipe over at 9toFit today.

meBack to the topic at hand, the ever dreaded holiday weight gain. This is such a hot topic right now, it’s been plastered all over the blogging world and social media. And let’s face it; gaining weight during the holidays does happen to a lot of people. But there are ways around it, and no I don’t mean skipping the pies and alcoholic beverages, don’t get crazy!

A great way to stay on track during the holidays is by involving your friends and family. Suggest meeting up with friends at the gym or hitting up a yoga class before lunch. It’s seriously so much easier to drag yourself to the gym when you have a friend there with you, not to mention that it’s been proven most people work harder when others are around! (extra calories gone!)

In the spirit of involving friends and family, when I developed my 2nd Ab Training Plan for the Cody App (you can check out the first one here), I made sure to include a Partner Ab Routine! Here are a couple moves from my next training plan which would be perfect to do with a friend during this holiday season when you want to switch up your normal routine:

partner leg throwsIf you follow my blog, you know this Partner Leg Throw was the ab of the week!  This one seriously attacks your lower abs. And don’t be shy, make sure your partner is working by actually throwing their legs.. they can handle it!  Key: Work to get your legs close to the ground without touching.

partner hamstring curlsThe next move is the Partner Hamstring Curl. This is tougher than it looks and takes some getting used to. This move obviously targets your hamstring (hence the name) but also works your core and butt. For this move your partner will need to hold tight to your ankles, while you lower down AS SLOW AS POSSIBLE, until you reach the ground and spring yourself back up. You want to focus on keeping your body straight the whole time.

partner v twistsThe last move is the Partner V Twist, which works your obliques and arms. You start by sitting back to back with your partner, your feet on the ground as shown above. Really focus on twisting through your core as you pass the medicine ball as quick as possible with your partner. Do some reps one way then switch direction!

It’s so much easier to stay active during the holidays when the people around you want to be active as well. Get your friends moving with you, and staying fit during the holidays might be more fun and easier then you think! Thanks again for letting me invade your blog Davida! And don’t forget to check out her feature!

Thanks you to the wonderful Elise for the awesome reminder that your best workout equipment can actually be your friends! Elise and I decided to blog swap today so if you’re interested in hearing the juicy details of my life behind the blog, a recipe for Healthy Mexican Hot Chocolate and all of Elise’s amazing workouts be sure to head over to 9toFit.

What are your keys to avoiding the holiday weight gain? Do you have a workout buddy?

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    December 6, 2013 at 6:49 am

Thanks again for letting me grill you with questions ! 😉 And I’m loving the hot chocolate recipe, I would’ve though to get creative with it like that!

Joanne
    December 6, 2013 at 7:12 am

This is such a great idea! The more “peer pressure” there is to workout, the more likely it is you’ll actually do it!

December 6, 2013 at 7:17 am

I don’t often workout with another person, but these are some great ideas here! Maybe I can rope one of my friends into joining me to do this. 😉

I don’t like to deprive myself of my favourite holiday foods, so I like to make sure to stay active over the holidays. On top of going to the gym 5 days per week, I try to get in extra movement, which usually isn’t hard to do considering all the shopping that needs to be done!

December 6, 2013 at 7:28 am

It is amazing how much those ab twists work! Every time I do them, I don’t feel like I’m really working out, and then I wake up the next day SO sore! But it’s the best kind of sore.

Madison
    December 6, 2013 at 7:49 am

I love this idea and want to get my husband/family more involved! It’s always fun working out with others. 🙂

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    December 6, 2013 at 7:49 am

I love working out with friends! I don’t do it often enough (none of my friends go to the same gym) but when I do, I find it to be extra motivation for myself. Or rather, we motivate one another, and I like that.

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    December 6, 2013 at 7:55 am

Great partner moves! I am going to use these in class next week!

kathy @ vodka and soda
    December 6, 2013 at 8:34 am

girl, put your guns away!! you’re making everyone jealous 🙂

all kidding aside, i only run trails with people but never workout with them…i prefer to be alone and in my zone. i never really stop my clean eating during the holiday and never indulge in the desserts or sweets so i guess that’s my way of keeping on track during the holidays.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    December 6, 2013 at 8:42 am

I think it’s such a good idea to do a workout with a friend 🙂 For me personally, I find that I don’t have a ton of time to plan workouts with other people (unless it’s a Pure Barre “date”, which don’t happen often) and I just kind of sneak in a run or workout DVD as a study break. Wish I had these in college though!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    December 6, 2013 at 9:17 am

A couple of my friends back home work at the YMCA so when I’m home, we usually go there for a sweat session. It’s a good way to stay motivated and working out is more fun with friends!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    December 6, 2013 at 9:48 am

Elise is seriously fit! So impressive. I don’t usually work out with a partner just because I prefer to do it alone, but i used to work out with my best friend all the time. We would do those medicine ball passes.. they are tiring after so many!

December 6, 2013 at 9:57 am

Now I just need to rope someone into doing this workout with me 😉

December 6, 2013 at 10:14 am

Allergies 😆 Allergies help me avoid holiday weight gain. There’s SO much delicious food coming out around this time of the year, but I can’t eat 80-90% of the sweets and treats because my allergies get in the way 😡 😡 That being said, I usually overcompensate with my own baking, buuuuuut thankfully there’s a lot of shopping and running around to do to use up that extra fuel 😉

Mary Frances
    December 6, 2013 at 10:23 am

I need to go to the mall more often … surely all that shopping will burn calories, right? 🙂 I’ve tried those hamstring curls and I had THE hardest time getting the hang of it! Now would be be a good time to try them again!

Jill @ Fitness, Health and Happiness
    December 6, 2013 at 10:55 am

My workout buddy is my husband but he will only run with me. No weight gain so far! My tip? Stick with your regular workout schedule as closely as possible. It’s working for me so far!!

December 8, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I could never get my bf to run with me so I’m jealous! And great tip. I find I actually want to workout more during the holidays, but maybe that’s cause I have more free time 🙂

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    December 6, 2013 at 11:37 am

Love this idea! I’m always trying to recruit friends to join my gym and work out with me. I think it’s way more fun when you have a buddy!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    December 6, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I love Elise’s blog! She is amazing and so incredibly fit! Her ab routines are super killer!

Becky@TheSavedRunner
    December 6, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I love this workout and how you can do it with someone! You don’t see many partner workouts on blog, so I love this idea! I love the holiday season, but I definitely try to keep doing good, hard workouts through all of the holidays.

zozo
    December 6, 2013 at 3:20 pm

My bff and I have both vowed to keep the winter fat off this season! Hard to find time for our schedules to match up but these are great exercises. I’d like to get a medicine ball for myself
    zozo | atelier zozo

December 8, 2013 at 9:02 pm

My schedule gets in the way everyday! I wouldn’t mine a medicine ball too. Or just a bff to keep me on track 😉

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    December 6, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Working out with friends is a great idea! Now I just need to go & try to make some in my area to recruit… 😉

Paige@FitNotFad
    December 6, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Yay these are such good tips! I love Elise’s blog…and girl is RIPPED.

Lillian @ Seize the Latte
    December 6, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Thanks for hosting such a great guest post, Davida — and thank you for such awesome ideas, Elise! I love the idea of partner workouts, since I’m trying to get my husband to be a bit more active these days. 🙂 Happy Friday to you both!

December 8, 2013 at 9:03 pm

No problem Lilian! If you find a way to get your hubby moving, let me know! I have a hard time getting my bf to workout with me unless it involves a pool…and I have an aversion to water lol

Brittany
    December 6, 2013 at 6:14 pm

I’m a total Grinch, and I workout much better alone haha. I do love these idea though!

December 8, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I tend to workout alone but I do enjoy a good partner workout if anyone would ever agree to do it with me!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    December 6, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Great post and I totally agree that the pressure and support of friends can definitely help motivate! Plus it’s a bunch of fun!

December 6, 2013 at 9:09 pm

So fun that y’all switched it up and guest posted for each other.
    Love the partner moves!

Heather Murphy
    December 6, 2013 at 9:46 pm

These are great, Elise! Now, any ideas on how to recruit my friends?? 🙂

December 6, 2013 at 11:22 pm

My friend and I are holding each other accountable for December… we have a point system and each time we screw up a dollar goes into the pot for us to do something fun together after the new year (spoiler: we already assume it’s going to be going out for wine, which is basically counter-productive).

lotte
    December 7, 2013 at 6:36 am

i recon the time goes past a lot faster when you workout with friends! i don’t really have a tip or strategy in avoiding weight gain i love to work out and music is my workout buddy! <3

xx lotte

December 8, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Me too! I can’t not workout to music. Sometimes I even save new albums for the gym so I have motivation to go 🙂

Cailee @ http://hellohealthyeating.com
    December 7, 2013 at 10:25 am

Thank you for sharing!! It’s so important to remember that while it may be the Christmas season, we need to make sure our health is a top priority!! Thanks for the reminder! 🙂

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health
    December 7, 2013 at 7:53 pm

This is a great idea! Having a workout partner really helps to keep you motivated. I try to get my fiance to work out with me but it’s a lost cause so I rely on the group classes at my gym to be my “partner”. But I love these moves- they look like fun!

Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal
    December 7, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Those hamstring ones are so hard. They make my calves cramp up every time! I think it’s fairly easy for me to avoid weight gain because I don’t have a lot of parties or family obligations. I pretty much just indulge on Christmas and Thanksgiving (although this last week if you read my blog wasn’t too pretty). I just try to work out every day that I can and it usually cancels out any “bad” eating I’ve done.

December 8, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I’m sort of the same way. I don’t get too uptight about my eating because I try to be active. Plus T-giving and Christmas only happen once a year so why not indulge!

Christie @ Kissesandkale.blogspot.com
    December 8, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Working out with friends is definitely the way to go. It always makes workouts go faster and makes them more fun.

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    December 9, 2013 at 7:27 am

Lovely post, it’ll be so helpful! I’m dying to try some of these exercises, yay!

mulberry outlet uk David Frum
    April 12, 2014 at 1:01 pm

mbt shoes

My mo mulberry outlet uk m went in replica louis vuitton bags with me to look at the babies. It’s kind of cool to get so many ultrasounds, but at the same time it’s pretty tiring. Harry measured in at 5 pounds even, mulber mulberry uk ry outlet uk wh…

black timberland boots video is RAW and a little disturbing
    April 12, 2014 at 1:03 pm

christian louboutin pigalle

If the source is correct about these photos and they are in the ri black timberland boots ght order, it looks like Dexter and Dr. Evelyn will be clashing in christian louboutin discount the very first episode. Another image shows him getting ready to d…

mbt mens shoes and now things just feel a little better because of it. With this being the first story arc of the series
    April 12, 2014 at 1:04 pm

louis vuitton sale

How To mbt mens shoes mbt mens shoes Survive an Earthquake Run Outside an Unsafe Building Dec mulberry outlet ide whether the building you are in is safe. I used to work for a geotechnical engineer in Wellington, our office was one of the buildings tha…

Online Pharmacy
    May 13, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Marvelous, what a web site it is! This webpage provides
    valuable facts to us, keep it up.
    Online Pharmacy recently posted…Online Pharmacy

Naina rajput
    March 4, 2015 at 4:46 am

Hi…
    I like this post.
    if you want to know more about weight gain treatment then http://hashmihealthcares.com/product/weight-gain-treatment/ will help you to increase your weight without any side effect.