fitness

Bike Boredom Blaster Workout

January 8, 2014

A workout? On The Healthy Maven? No, you’re not in the wrong place…Believe it or not I still have an interest in fitness. Obviously my leg and back injury has been a major deterrent when it comes to exercise but despite dealing with this for almost a year now I’ve still managed to find ways to move my body.

According to my masseuse, Raymond I have some serious trigger points in my back and hip, which is likely the cause of my chronic pain. Even though he almost made me cry from torture my man Raymond really is a god with his hands. After my first session I felt infinitely better. Of course being me I was an idiot and thought I was healed so I went to the gym and did a crazy Nike Training Club workout. It was either all of the jump-squats or my shameless twerking which caused most of the pain to come back…whomp whomp.

twerkRaymond explained to me that these things take time and even if I’m feeling better it doesn’t mean I should start whipping out my Miley Cyrus moves. He put me under strict orders to keep both feet planted at all times. No jumping and obviously no running for me. While I enjoy lifting weights and yoga, 6 months off of running has clearly taken it’s toll on my endurance. We’re talking breathless at the top of 3 flights of stairs. So despite my aversion to the stationary bike (or elliptical, or stair master, or most forms of cardio equipment) I sat myself down on that chair and worked up a sweat.

Since I have the attention span of a 3 year old I had to keep things interesting with some intervals. I’m not going to lie, I was dying at the end of this workout. But I did it and I finished the entire thing with no pain! For my 20 seconds fast I made sure to keep my pace over 100 RPM. I set my low resistance at 8, my medium resistance at 10 and my high resistance at 12. These are what worked for me but everyone is different. Have fun!

bike boredom blasterWhat’s your favourite piece of cardio equipment? Are you a fan of intervals?

Danielle @ Green is the New Black
    January 8, 2014 at 5:16 am

Nothing like a “hurts so good” massage to get the body fixed up! I am a big fan of intervals to keep things moving. I need variety to keep motivated! Looks like a good workout!
    Danielle @ Green is the New Black recently posted…WIAW: My little Soccer Tot

Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness
    January 8, 2014 at 5:45 am

I love intervals! But, I always do them on the dreadmil and it is not so fun. This looks like a great way to switch it up! Thanks for this!
    Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness recently posted…Date & Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bake {GF and Low Fat}

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    January 8, 2014 at 5:48 am

I always do intervals on the treadmill, elliptical and bike. Makes the time go faster! Do I like it? Eh but it works! lol.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday – Blinded By Oatmeal Love

January 8, 2014 at 7:03 am

Intervals are the only thing that keep me sane during those longer cardio sessions. Would I go as far as to say I like them? Ehhhh maybe not like, like — you wouldn’t find me asking them to catch up over coffee — but I can be cordial with them 🙂
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. soft and chewy protein granola bars .

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    January 8, 2014 at 7:28 am

Haha! Loving the #emptytwerk. I’ve seen that around the Instagram world 😉
    I’ll be honest, I’ve never actually done a workout on the bike before. I like other forms of cardio equipment, so I don’t really know why I’ve never wanted to try the bike. I really like (“like”) the stair master because it gets my heart rate up like crazy! But I think I just might have to try this workout to get out of my comfort zone soon!
    Hope your recovery goes swiftly and smoothly, Davida!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…WIAW: Super Snacky

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    January 8, 2014 at 7:33 am

I think you know my love for intervals, I can’t get on a cardio machine and not do them
    Elise @ 9toFit.com recently posted…Game Day Food: Healthy Black Bean Dip

kathy @ vodka and soda
    January 8, 2014 at 7:42 am

i should be behind you smacking that ass. cardio machines are vile but i’m with you on the endurance part – months of not running and sticking to low impact has impacted my endurance too *sadface*. low impact is ok, kinda boring and is alright for endurance but i’m no where near where i was in the summer. more sads.

and respond to my email, bitch.
    kathy @ vodka and soda recently posted…humpday confessions 2014!

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com
    January 8, 2014 at 8:25 am

I love ALL cardio – with intervals or without, I so love getting my sweat on! Eeeooow TMI right?! 🙂
    I use a treadmill religiously but, do love varying it up with an occasional workout on a stationary bike – and this sounds like an awesome boredom buster for those times!
    Stay warm and pain free lady!
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted…1st WIAW of 2014

January 8, 2014 at 8:36 am

I’m not the biggest fan of the stationary bike – I like the spin bikes better. But my favourite piece of cardio equipment is the treadmill. Walking and running, when I’m feeling up to it, will always be my favourites!

I’ve started doing more intervals in the past year. Do I like them? No. Do they make me feel like a beast afterwards? Hell yeah!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…What I’m loving lately

January 8, 2014 at 8:59 am

I definitely need intervals if I’m going to be on a piece of equipment – otherwise, I just get so bored! Favourite is probably the treadmill though.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: Winter is Going to Turn Me Into a Hermit.

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots
    January 8, 2014 at 9:22 am

I hate the bike unless I am in spin class. I used to be afraid of the stairs but now I have a love hate relationship with them. I am a huge fan of intervals, it helps the time pass.
    Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted…In Flight Survival Guide: my “must haves”

Kat
    January 8, 2014 at 9:24 am

Oh my goodness I would go nuts if I couldn’t do my plyos or sprints….Don’t get me wrong, Im not a huge fan of running at all, but sometimes you just get that itch you know? Not to mention, Im a soccer player…running and jumping are kind of a necessity for me 😉
    Kat recently posted…WIAW:exhausted eats

January 12, 2014 at 9:07 pm

You would not be pleased if you were dealing with my injury 😉 Both feet on the ground at all times grrr

Meghan @fitnesscrEATures
    January 8, 2014 at 9:26 am

Haha! I thought I was in the wrong place fo sho! 🙂 I used the bike last night and it was awesome! 🙂
    Also, I was just scrolling through all your shit, and you are SO SO SO SO talented it’s sickening. All the detail in your foodie pictures is amazeballs. It’s sad that I can’t come up with a more eloquent word to tell you how creative and awesome you are at being a foodie. #sorrynotsorry

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    January 8, 2014 at 9:33 am

LOOOVE the #emptytwerk pic. #twerkit and welcome to the club!!
    Could you send Raymond over to me? he sounds like a good man. For a massage of course.
    And GOOD JOB on that workout!! I’m not a huge fan of the bike, but I have one at home, so I go with it. Normally I prefer the Elliptical or the Stairs – with TV if possible 🙂
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…WIAW#46 – My Vacation Meals

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    January 8, 2014 at 9:44 am

Be still my heart! This is an awesome workout. Can’t wait to try it – and I def will. I find that intervals were the only way to keep myself entertained on the bike as well, only I just did like random intense minutes, usually to songs. I mentioned it on my blog before but Applause is the ultimate interval song. Okay, and I know twerking is like an addiction, Davida, but you have to contain yourself. No more further injuries, dear!
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Two Yoga Resources I’ve Been Loving Lately

Parita @ myinnershakti
    January 8, 2014 at 10:27 am

Intervals are the only thing that make indoor cardio appealing to me. I have vowed to never do steady state cardio on the treadmill again! I can totally see myself doing this workout on the elliptical. Thanks for sharing!
    Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted…Don’t Say “I’m Fine” When You’re Obviously Not

January 8, 2014 at 10:28 am

Hahaha that picture looks like it came straight out of Arman’s blog!! Love it. And love that you posted a workout, and that you’re challenging yourself to do workouts despite your injuries! The ONLY way I can do a bike workout that doesn’t involve going slowly enough to read a book or watch TV is going to spin class. I love it! But I think it’s because we do similar things to what you’re doing in this workout!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…The best (and only) veggie burger I’ve ever had

January 12, 2014 at 9:13 pm

How in the world do you read and spin?!?!

January 12, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Haha, no boo. I was saying that normally the exercise bike = no motivation to me, and I just sit on it and read a book or watch TV – UNLESS I am at spin class. And I like your workout because it reminds me of spin class, but I can do it on my own 😉
        Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…Fitness, Fatigue, and Figuring It Out

Christine@ Apple of My Eye
    January 8, 2014 at 10:56 am

Love the spunky picture of you ;). Get it girl haha!

But seriously, this workout looks great! I usually have no idea what I’m doing when I’m on a bike, so this looks right up my alley 🙂
    Christine@ Apple of My Eye recently posted…WIAW: A Day In The Life

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green
    January 8, 2014 at 11:20 am

Well for starters, I’m glad to hear there was no pain after the workout. Like you I need intervals to keep me entertained. Running I can usually go for a bit without getting bored.. but the eliptical and bike are a different story. I need intervals to get me going and keep me going!
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…Here’s to 2014 – My NEW Go-To Green Smoothie

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    January 8, 2014 at 11:35 am

Intervals on the bike are the way to go! I try to mimic popular spin classes by riding to the beat of the music, sprinting during fast choruses and loading on the resistance during slower, heavier sections. The key is to make an awesome playlist before you ride. I love your workout graphic-just pinned! 🙂
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Jumpstart January

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    January 8, 2014 at 11:36 am

Now I totally want a massage. I’ve taken spin classes before (ok, I took like 3), but I wasn’t a huge fan. I do love intervals, though! My favorite piece of cardio equipment is the adaptive motion trainer. It’s kind of like an elliptical, but way harder and you can control the range of motion.
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…10-15-20 Workout

January 12, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Weirdly I’m not a huge spinning fan either but maybe that’s cause the classes are so long!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    January 8, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I’ve never been able to relate to a post more than I can relate to this. Massages HURT, sometimes I think im a basis and start whipping out all my cool moves (only to be hurting the next day) and those are the exact resistance levels I use on the bike. KINDA CRAY.

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    January 8, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I’m not the biggest fan of the stationary bike either, but having to go to school and do this much homework, is the only way I get to exercise during the week. It’s so darn difficult to find an hour to go running :–(
    But yeah, it’s so boring that I’m super happy that you posted this workout. I can’t wait to try it tomorrow!
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…+60 Comfort Food Healthy Makeovers

Jess @ JessieBear What Will You Wear?
    January 8, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Oooh love this. Need some motivation lately 🙂
    Jess @ JessieBear What Will You Wear? recently posted…Just in time for the party

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run
    January 8, 2014 at 12:53 pm

love this workout graphic!
    Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run recently posted…600 Rep Workout

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    January 8, 2014 at 12:57 pm

1) I love seeing you giving work outs! 2) This one looks awesome – if the work out involves the words “cardio equipment,” then you better believe I will be doing intervals (or being super lazy on the elliptical on a “recovery day” while reading magazines and barely getting my heart rate above resting … oops). 3) Do not judge your running fitness by your stair ability … have I ever told you that Kevin can run a 2:31 marathon (insanely fast) but he literally gets out of breath going out of our 2 flights of stairs every. single. time? It’s crazy!
    Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…How to Increase Exercise Without Getting Injured

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    January 8, 2014 at 1:19 pm

A photo of you in a squat position is more delicious than any of your recipes – lol!!!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted…Yum… Oh Wait No, That’s Yucky!

January 12, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I’m thinking of never posting a recipe again and just posting twerking pictures…thoughts?

Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds
    January 8, 2014 at 1:47 pm

You can’t do jump squats? BIG FUCKIN’ BUMMER. Sounds like a get out of jail free card to me. Raymond is an angel in disguise if you ask me 🙂 Never, ever stop twerkin’. Clearly Miley learned all her moves from you.
    Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds recently posted…My New Years “to-do” List

January 12, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Miley ain’t got nothing on me.

I cry myself to sleep over not being able to do jump squats.

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia
    January 8, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I used to own a stationary bike and absolutely loved doing intervals on it. Once I got rid of it though, I switched over to the elliptical and loooove that even more. I’m also out of breath from walking up the stairs in my building..I just don’t get it!

Best twerking pic ever btw! I love your face! 🙂 X

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    January 8, 2014 at 5:06 pm

HAH That picture kills me 😉 I was planning for a gym day tomorrow so this is PERFECT!
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Falafel Pie

January 8, 2014 at 5:45 pm

LOOK at that tooch. Your twerking puts Miley to shame. Shame I tell you.

I prefer intervals for cardio but it MUST be on the stairmaster…so I can prop a magazine or book on it. The bike? Well, that’s where I do instagramming and tweeting from often 😉 However, seeing as you recommend this workout and it beats boredom, I’ll give it a go!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…WIAW- Cleaning out the fridge

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy
    January 8, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Love the workout! I used to take spin when I belonged to a gym and I have to admit I kind of miss those classes! The workouts were tough and so exhilarating! I’m definitely a fan of interval training!
    Melissa @ Fit ‘n’ Well Mommy recently posted…Garlic Butter Mashed Cauliflower

January 8, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Between that selfie and your usual hilarious commentary, I just snorted out loud!! Hahaha. I do the same thing thinking I’m all healed and then going too hard, too soon.. what’s up with that?? I’m not good at pacing myself and just want to dive in and do a million burpees just to torture myself perhaps. I can’t do high-impact exercise either these days, so the bike and rowing machine have been my best friends!

January 12, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Nothing makes me happier than a good snort 😉 As much as I hate the bike it’s really one of the few ways I can get a descent sweat on thanks to my injury. Better than nothing!

January 8, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Yes, I’m addicted to my treadmill!
    I love to play around with intervals – great way to pass the time and get your heart rate up.
    The stationary bike? might be my least favorite but that workout looks like a good way to really get a great workout on it
    Kim recently posted…You’ve Never Been Where?!

Paige@FitNotFad
    January 8, 2014 at 9:13 pm

WOOO way to go! Easy on the leg though injuries on the wooooorst. I guess if I have to do a piece of cardio equipment it’s going to be the bike, but once I started weight lifting and doing workouts like HIIT Bodyrock stuff I gleefully kissed most cardio equipment goodbye….cardio is NOT my fav 🙂
    Paige@FitNotFad recently posted…Seafood Bordetto

Brittany
    January 8, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I’ve found it rare finding people that are really good with massages..I only found one therapeutic masseuse that I ADORED and she worked wonders on my broken body. I need to start going back!! I hate intervals, but they are so good for me. I only do them while in spin class though and occasionally will try to do them while running, and by occasionally I mean like never..
    Brittany recently posted…Post Vacation Blues

January 12, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I want Raymond to move in with me. He can massage me at all hours of the day and I will pay him in baked goods.

Jessie
    January 9, 2014 at 2:21 am

well hot damn – without a bike I’m thinking it may be hard to give this workout a shot.
    Jessie recently posted…WIAW: January 7, 2014

Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal
    January 9, 2014 at 11:40 am

Glad you finished without pain! I love intervals, but hate cardio equipment (I love cardio over weights though). But I don’t belong to a gym so that’s not an issue. I have to get creative. We have a lot of hills in my area, and we also have a sand dune which is a great low impact cardio workout. Is there anything like that in your area? At least hills?
    Tonya@Healthy, Fit, and Frugal recently posted…Lack of Sleep, Dreams, and Cravings

January 12, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Definitely no dunes but same pretty great hills. Unfortunately I can’t run but maybe walking up them will get my heart rate up!

January 9, 2014 at 10:27 pm

I guess if I HAD to pick a favorite piece of cardio equipment it would be the pool, as a former swimmer. But if I had to pick real cardio, it would be treadmill, and I still would hate it because I get so bored and I like fresh air and looking at things and being outside.
    Cassie recently posted…Almost Getting It Together Thursdays: Mint.com

January 12, 2014 at 9:48 pm

C has been trying to get me to swim for years! He was a swimmer and diver and I have an aversion to water. Gotta work on that…

Virtual Tea Time #4hello, veggy!
    January 12, 2014 at 2:31 am

[…] Bike Boredom Blaster Workout […]

Tush Toning Pyramid Workout - The Healthy Maven
    January 14, 2014 at 7:30 am

[…] back up in reverse order. I completed the circuit 4 times (up and down twice) and paired it with my Bike Boredom Blaster Workout. DOMS for days, but it was nice to feel like I was starting to get my strength […]

January 18, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I love Spinning. It’s my go to cardio, and since it makes me ridiculously happy and tones my glutes at the same time, I’d say it’s a win-win. I wouldn’t mind borrowing Raymond though.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    January 20, 2014 at 1:42 am

Oh girl, I hear ya on the loss of endurance! I was on the elliptical a couple of weeks ago for the first time in forever and after only a couple of minutes at a somewhat “fast” pace, I had to stop because my chest was hurting…like STABBING pain! I was like DUDE! I know I’m getting older but I’m not THAT old! Haha!

And you know, I’ve hated the bike for a while now (I get this weird hip pain after a couple of minutes), but I tried it out the other day and went 20 minutes without any pain! Granted 15 of those minutes were spent on the phone with my sister, but hey, at least I was moving right? Just FYI, the correct answer is RIGHT! 😉
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Peanut Butter Pumpkin Banana Wrap

Eveline
    March 4, 2015 at 5:26 am

Ah, this is awesome. Makes my training less boring and more productive. Thanks for sharing!

Jenny
    March 9, 2015 at 3:19 am

Yes, I’m addicted to my spin bike. Cardio is my favorite and I love to play around with intervals :). Thanks for this Davida!
    Jenny recently posted…10 Foods to Eat Before Spinning

Mary E. Copp
    April 18, 2016 at 12:52 am

We love this workout because it is scalable to any fitness level. If you are beginning or advanced, listen to your body and go the speed that works for you in the sprint sections.