I know I’ve made this promise before, but one of my blogging goals this year is to post easier recipes. I have a weird thing about challenging myself with recipes. I need each one to top the next, which sometimes results in 20+ ingredients and steps most of which the majority of people will never make.
When I asked you guys what kinds of recipes you were looking for a lot of you said easy lunches and dinners. Truth-be-told I could use a few more of these kinds of recipes too. My go-tos in the kitchen are always extravagant breakfasts and desserts and I tend to shy away from savoury meals. No more of that in 2014!
And what could possibly be any easier than the slow-cooker? The answer is nothing. Throw everything in, come back in 4 hours and poof! Dinner. And because I was feeling ultra-lazy I made rice in the rice-cooker. This meant I had more time to watch trashy british reality TV.
While we’re on the topic of convenience, I was sent these awesome frozen herbs from a company called Dorot (Toppits in Canada). Since my mini herb garden lasted all of 2 weeks I am always looking for easy and affordable ways to use fresh herbs. As much as I like dried herbs they really don’t compare to the fresh stuff. Dorot/Toppits allows you to get your fresh herb fix year round without worrying about them dying before you get around to using them.
Don’t worry, the pancakes and cookies ain’t going anywhere but I will be trying to incorporate more simple and healthy lunches and dinners this year. Starting with this easy Slow-Cooker Coconut Basil Tofu.
- 1 package firm tofu, cut into large strips
- 4 cups baby bok choy, washed and larger pieces cut in half
- 3/4 medium onion, sliced into large chunks
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 T gluten-free tamari
- 2 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 T fish sauce
- 3/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (or 6 cubes of Dorot frozen basil)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced( 1 cue of Dorot frozen garlic)
- 1.5 T fresh ginger, minced (or 3 cubes of Dorot frozen ginger)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 T coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1. Set slow-cooker on high.
- 2. Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, tamari, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic, basil and ginger to the slow cooker. Stir.
- 3. Add in tofu, bok choy, onion, and mushrooms, crushed red pepper and coconut palm sugar and stir to coat with sauce.
- 4. Cook on high for 3.5 hours.
- 5. At 3.5 hours add in cornstarch and stir well.
- 6. Cook for another 30 minutes.
- 7. Add salt to taste and serve warm with rice.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!