gluten-free snacks vegan

Dill Avocado Toast

March 12, 2014

There was a 0% chance I was going to make it through this week without including pickles in some form. Since I know there’s some pickle haters out there (please do not out yourselves to me because I will never speak to you again) I didn’t go over the top. A pickle pastry was contemplated but in my attempts to not alienate all my readers I kept things slightly more conventional.
dill avocado toastFunny story about this recipe. Last Friday when I announced the link-up, Erin (the almond eater/my future bestie) who I am fairly certain hates me for forcing her to get creative, jokingly commented that she was going to smear avocado on some bread and call it healthy avocado toast.

At this point I had already decided I was going to make avocado toast for one of my recipes so naturally I had a moment that went somewhere along the lines of “dsfbeuiwterge uh oh is avocado toast not creative? profinanity, profanity…what the profanity should I make now?” Instead I texted Erin and she calmed my fears. How the tables have turned…

dill avocado toast 2

What this recipe lacks in creativity, it certainly makes up for in simplicity. A recipe made in under 2 minutes that requires 5 ingredients and no h-core equipment? I’m fairly certain that’s unheard of on THM. Simplicity ain’t my strong suit. But pickles are so you can definitely trust me on this one!

Dill Avocado Toast

PREP TIME 5 mins

• 6 pieces gluten-free toast (I use Udi's Whole Grain)
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tsp dried dill weed
  • 1 T pickle juice (optional but highly recommended)
  • sea salt for sprinkling (do not omit, this is key)

1. Toast bread to desired colour
  2. In a bowl, mash avocado.
  3. Add in garlic, dill weed and pickle juice. Stir to combine.
  4. Spread on toast and sprinkle each piece with sea salt.

dill avocado toast 3

Tell me if you’re a pickle fan! Don’t if you’re not…Do you ever attempt trickier recipes or do you prefer sticking to the simple ones?

*Don’t forget you have up till Friday to post your GREEN recipe to be included in The Great St. Patrick’s Day Green Link-Up!

March 12, 2014 at 5:23 am

Okay, I LOVE PICKLES!!! However, I’ve never considered smashing the juice (which I may have drank on occasion….) in with the avocado on toast. Dude, I should totally have done vegemite + avocado on toast as my contribution. Its epic.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…WIAW- Testing the waters again

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan
    March 12, 2014 at 5:24 am

Hmm – a pickle pastry you say…hmmm….Davida – this could be the next BIG thing – Fairs everywhere could start selling “Davida’s fried pickle pastry” and you could make millions! Just saying!

I like pickles but I never have finished a jar…yes, I have issues!

Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best – just saying!
    Shashi @ RunninSrilankan recently posted…The Little Things

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
    March 12, 2014 at 5:25 am

Pickles are awesome, but i never eat them because they are just too damn salty for me :/
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Apple Poppy Seed Pancakes

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    March 12, 2014 at 6:27 am

Sour pickles all the way. The more sour, the better!

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    March 12, 2014 at 6:38 am

I am always for simplicity! I have like an on and off relationship with pickles though, but I’m not against trying it!
    Elise @ 9toFit.com recently posted…Homemade Reese’s Rice Krispie Bars

erin @ The Almond Eater
    March 12, 2014 at 6:58 am

Hhhaha just face it—you’re not creative. I mean, if you’re anything like me. KIDDING. Also my avocado toast didn’t turn out as green as I had hoped so I may be saving that for another day (who knows though). Nice photos too! You rock, even though I hate pickles….which you already know. This won’t be the last time you hear it though. SORRY EW.
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Common Blog Mistakes & How To Avoid Them

Joanne
    March 12, 2014 at 7:04 am

PICKLE JUICE! That is the perfect addition to an avocado mash!
    Joanne recently posted…Wednesday Coffee Talk

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    March 12, 2014 at 7:11 am

You had me at 5-ingredients or less! I’m a total fail at complicated recipes. I love avocado, I love toast, and I love pickles, so this looks like a winner.
    For some reason, this reminded me of a girl who wrote her college essay on how much she loved pickle juice and couldn’t stop drinking it out of the jar. It was hilarious and we still do “dramatic readings” of it in my office. Pickle juice for the win haha (it got that girl into college, anyway!).
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…WIAW- Sunday prep in action

alex @ therunwithin
    March 12, 2014 at 7:15 am

I am such a fan of dill. my mom makes this dip with sour cream, mayo, onion flakes and dill. SO AMAZING.
    alex @ therunwithin recently posted…Season of Running.

Krista @ Tiny n Fit
    March 12, 2014 at 7:37 am

I hate dill and pickles, but LOVE avocados. This looks so good! I sometimes like complicated, but usually only with baking. I like cooking mail meals to be simple!
    Krista @ Tiny n Fit recently posted…Thin Mint Cookie Bars

Ali @ Inspiralized
    March 12, 2014 at 8:39 am

Not only are these pictures gorgeous, this recipe looks amazing! I’ve learned to appreciate dill since I started blogging and I’d never think to miss it with avocado and put it on toast!
    Ali @ Inspiralized recently posted…Part 2, Takeout Fakeout: How to Order Takeout, the Inspiralized Way!

Paige@FitNotFad
    March 12, 2014 at 8:46 am

LOOOOVE pickles..bread and butter are the BEST! Also avocado smeared on toast is definitely delicious!
    Paige@FitNotFad recently posted…Spartan Up! + Lifestyle Accountability Show

kathy @ vodka and soda
    March 12, 2014 at 8:47 am

YUM! i always smear avocado on toast as a substitute to butter but adding pickle juice?? BRILLIANT. i love anything pickled. have you tried pickled watermelon? my FIL makes it and it’s the shiznit. it would totally give you a boner.

-kathy | Vodka and Soda
    kathy @ vodka and soda recently posted…humpday confessions

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    March 12, 2014 at 9:16 am

I’m now going to reveal myself as a pickle hater because guess what you still have to love me anyways. I’ve been wanting to make Gwyneth Paltrow’s avo toast, I even bought veganaise to do it but I keep forgetting to buy avos. Durrrr.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Green Food to Green Beer [WIAW #40]

Heather Murphy
    March 12, 2014 at 9:17 am

LOVE this recipe! I am all for uncreative, easy recipes because they are the only ones I can attempt and feel like I’ve accomplished something. Oh, and this is gross, but I love pickles so much that I used to drink the juice when I was little! Omg, I know I just made someone throw up a little with that..
    Heather Murphy recently posted…The super spring green smoothie that will keep you full all morning.

March 12, 2014 at 10:24 am

I freakin’ love the flavour of dill. I just left a comment on another blog about how the dill Doritos chips are the best thing ever. However, dill avocado toast is probably just a tad healthier…
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: I’m a Lazy Salad-Maker.

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    March 12, 2014 at 10:28 am

Loooove this variation on avocado toast. I have not partaken in this breakfast in far too long! Avocados go on the shopping list 🙂
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…carrot ginger soup with curried croutons

March 12, 2014 at 10:33 am

Now this is my kind of recipe! Huge pickle fan, and huge fan of simplicity. I love -eating- more complicated recipes, but only if someone else is making them. When I’m cooking for myself? If it takes longer than 10 minutes and has more than a handful of ingredients, chances are I’m not going to bother making it. And now I need to go out and buy avocado…. my fridge is emptiness 🙁
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. WIAW … what i ate in kauai .

Em @ Love A Latte
    March 12, 2014 at 10:48 am

Totally a pickle fan and I’m sure I would loveeee this toast. I love toast with Vegenaise spread on it and avocado spread on top of that, sprinkled with pepper. YUM!
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Pregnancy Journey – 18 Weeks (and lots of vegan yums!)

March 12, 2014 at 10:48 am

Ummm….this might possibly be my favorite recipe you have ever shared!! I could probably eat this every single day and be happy!!!
    Kim recently posted…THINK

March 12, 2014 at 10:52 am

I’m obsessed with avocado toast right now!
    Cassie recently posted…Make it on Monday #9

Amanda
    March 12, 2014 at 11:08 am

What’s NOT to love about pickles?! People who don’t love pickles are broken.

Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet
    March 12, 2014 at 11:21 am

Mmmmmm! This sounds yummy! I actually haven’t had toast in so long (an avocado…)… now I am kinda craving some!!!

Lisa
    March 12, 2014 at 11:38 am

What a great idea! I love the idea of dill and avocado. YUM
    Lisa recently posted…Home Spa Day

Kim @ BusyBod
    March 12, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I love pickles! And my best friend does too, so much so that it’s part of the theme for her bridal shower (don’t tell her!). Also there is a gourmet local pickler that comes to our farmers market and I can’t wait until it starts up again so I can snag all his samples. Now that I’ve seen this recipe I want to eat it right now for lunch… but I don’t have bread for toast. Sadness.

PS I’m panicking a bit because I still don’t have a plan for Friday. Yipes!
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Why I Ohm at home (& should you?)

Parita @ myinnershakti
    March 12, 2014 at 12:32 pm

First, delicious looking toast! Second, your post reminded me that I have a small bottle of dill in the back of my spice cabinet. Will definitely be putting it to use soon!

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    March 12, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Don’t smack me but… I am not a HUGE avocado fan. I don’t think it tastes like much of anything….. That being said, Love me some DILL. So perhaps I would just eat this and think I am eating DILL CREAM? Change those LLs to CK and…. Yeah… This comment just turned x rated.
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted…Not So Naughty, Frosted Mini Shepherd’s Pies

Sarah @ Sweet Miles
    March 12, 2014 at 1:44 pm

HOLY MOLY you are speaking my language!! I am obsessed with all things avocado!! Great recipe!
    Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted…Don’t Be THAT Dog Owner

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    March 12, 2014 at 1:48 pm

I love cornichons (they count as pickles right?) I mean I love pickles in general, but cornichons are the best salty snack. I can go through a jar by myself in an alarmingly short amount of time. It’s frightening. But they are SO GOOD! I used to get them all the time in France and eat them with a hunk of brie and some fresh brioche. Heavenly!
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…5 Minute Meditation Challenge {March Magic}

Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds
    March 12, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I love pickles! If it weren’t for the bloat factor, I’d probably drink pickle juice like I drink my extra dirty martini’s. Extra salty!
    Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds recently posted…5 Reasons you Should Shop at Ethnic Markets

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    March 12, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Those look and sound amazing!! Scott hates anything to do with pickles but I think I could sneak this one by him?! 😉

Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair
    March 12, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Mmm…. avocado toast. One of my favourites! I never thought of adding something like dill. I can’t wait to try this! Love how easy it is. Now if only my avocados would ripen faster so I can make this.

I finally figured out what I was going to make for your green link-up! Can’t wait for Friday!
    Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair recently posted…Roasted Beet Soup

taylor @ taylormade
    March 12, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I LOOOOOVE pickles. love! and I’m pretty sure I could eat this avocado toast for lunch every single day.

March 12, 2014 at 6:37 pm

SO, I still read through this post to read your commentary even though I think PICKLES ARE OVERRATED!! Muwahaha sorry, don’t hate me please 😉
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Cinnamon Raisin Flaxseed Granola [Vegan & Gluten Free]

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    March 12, 2014 at 6:51 pm

I’m glad that we can still be friends…I totally adore pickles! This is so simple!!!!
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…Check In With Yourself #2

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    March 12, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Avocado toast— my love. I would never have thought of putting pickle juice or dill on it, but that’s an awesome idea!! So I say A for creativity anyway. 🙂
    I do like pickles, but only in small amounts. Which is why this recipe is perfect!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…WIAW: Domestic Alison

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    March 12, 2014 at 8:19 pm

What an interesting combo! Okay, I’m not a huge pickle fan, but I’m not a hater either. If there’s one on my plate, I’ll eat it. I’m really intrigued with this recipe and I just might have to give it a try. Avocado, on the other hand…. HUGE fan!
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday: Stuck in a Rut

Sarah Pie
    March 12, 2014 at 10:01 pm

I have to say I think pickled toast is a first (though it sounds highly preferable to pickled pastries) but I trust you enough to give it a try sometime… mostly because I never need an excuse to add avocado to anything 🙂
    Sarah Pie recently posted…My Migraine Story

Amanda Elizabeth
    March 12, 2014 at 10:28 pm

This is a recipe that is something I could totally make and I am loving the ingredients thanks for sharing!
    Amanda Elizabeth recently posted…Let’s Talk About Nighttime Regimens

Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE
    March 12, 2014 at 11:44 pm

The simplicity of this is the best part of it, Davida. Looks fabulous! Totally in love with avocado anything first off. AND love to eat it on toast. Perfection. Thanks for sharing 🙂 Hope you’re having a wonderful week!
    Kelly – LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE recently posted…Cremini Mushroom and Spinach Quinoa

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    March 13, 2014 at 10:40 am

Sometimes it’s fun to bring it back to the simple things! I’ve been obsessed with avocado lately so I can’t wait to try this. I love pickles too…they make sense on sandwiches so why not here?! 😉
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Pasta With Kale Sauce

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    March 13, 2014 at 10:41 am

Definitely a pickle fan – I cannot believe there are people out there who don’t like them, like, what is wrong with you guys??? I’m loving this toast; oh it’d make a lovely breakfast!
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…Double Chocolate Fudge Energy Bars

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    March 13, 2014 at 9:01 pm

You had me at dill avocado. BEST COMBO EVER!
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Mint Chocolate Chip Vegan Overnight Oats

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    March 13, 2014 at 11:43 pm

You may have just combined my two favourite foods (onions are a close third – though I bet I could throw green ones into this mix). I can seriously eat a jar of pickles (I try to do reduced sodium but hey, who cares about blood pressure) in a sitting and avocados are just so creamy and good. Believe it or not I tried my first “avocado on toast” last night and have a feeling it won’t be my last. You must have been channeling me since I didn’t read this post until now. Next time I am definitely using your recipe.
    Molly @ The Happiness Recipe recently posted…MIMM #13: Fall Reading Week

Tropical Green Smoothie | The Almond Eater
    March 14, 2014 at 6:15 am

[…] is not a word. Speaking of unoriginality, Davs is so UNCREATIVE because she came up with avocado toast. Psh. Just kidding—she’s awesome and always comes up with cool twists to basic recipes. I […]

rika@vm
    March 15, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Hey! I’m a huge pickle fan, including sauerkraut! I use pickle juice instead of lemon juice for most recipes, and it works great! I’m loving all your St. Patrick’s inspired recipes, they are all green and fun to look at! Yum to avocado, dill and pickle juice, all of these three ingredients are delicious, especially together! Beautiful shots, Davida, you’ve nailed it!

Amy Alt
    March 16, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Love this combination- i am forever snacking on rye bread and avocado so I am definitely going to have a go at this. I was not a fan of pickles until this year though- I think people just judge them because they are a bit funny looking but now I think they are so delicious and this is a great way to use all that juice left in the jar 🙂
    Amy Alt recently posted…Thai satay chicken salad

โรงงานเสื้อ
    March 20, 2014 at 6:11 am

My brother recommended I might like this website.
    He was totally right. This post truly made my day. You cann’t imagine simply how much
    time I had spent for this info! Thanks!
    โรงงานเสื้อ recently posted…โรงงานเสื้อ

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    March 25, 2014 at 5:43 am

Hey, it still doesn’t beat Ellie Krieger’s recipe for “Dark Chocolate Snack” which Food Network later added “as a” to the title: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/dark-chocolate-as-a-snack-recipe.html Bahaha!

You know you’re getting some pickle love from over here, babe! But I just want you to know that in my somewhat sleep-deprived state at the moment, I totally read “h-core equipment” as WHORE equipment! I was like, whaaaaa?! Lmao!
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…That Weekend Where I Joined a Cult…

Bridges Through Life | Happy St Patrick’s Day Weekend
    August 30, 2014 at 9:02 am

[…] Pinterest, I found some recipes for spinach cupcakes that I thought I could adapt, but then after Davida’s post on Wednesday using avocado, I woke up Thursday morning wanting to make avocado cupcakes. My family […]