fitness

Glutes & Gams Workout

March 5, 2014

Guys, I’m exhausted. I’m not entirely sure why but there’s a descent chance it’s cause this workout kicked my butt. Quite literally. These days I rarely crave an HIIT workout but yesterday it happened. My body was screaming to jump, sweat and possibly cry. I did all three. And it felt awesome. Today, not so much.

On the bright side, it’s that “hurts so good” feeling. Fortunately there’s no stairs in my apartment…

I’m keeping things short and sweet today since all I want is bed. But first I’ll explain the workout.

This is a superset workout which means you will perform two exercises in a row without a break in between i.e. High knees followed immediately by squat jumps. Then you will rest for 30 seconds before moving onto the next superset. For each exercise I performed 15 reps (* indicates on each side). I went through this workout 3 times and was dying at the end. Feel free to go through fewer or more times. Also no equipment is necessary so you can do this in the comfort of your own home! Don’t forget to warm-up for a few minutes before and stretch afterwards.

I have added links to videos showing each move below. Now get moving!

glutes and gams workout*Remember I am not a personal trainer so be careful and do not push yourself beyond your limits. Take breaks as needed!

High Knees
Squat Jumps

Side Lunges
Mountain Climbers

Side Plank w/ Leg Lifts
Single Leg Bridge

Squat Jacks
Ice Skaters

Agility Dots
Fire Hydrants

Does your body ever crave an intense workout? What’s your favourite body part to work?

March 5, 2014 at 5:18 am

I randomly crave an intense workout, do it, and then never crave it again for a VERY long time. I’m a big fan of supersets when lifting because it cuts down on the time in the gym 😉

I believe our two favourite gym moves are missing from this. Fail.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…WIAW- WholeArman Day 1

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    March 5, 2014 at 6:01 am

I crave a run, the occasional cravings for a spin class but that’s it. Never crave strength training or these killer workouts as you just completed! I can only imagine your sore muscles at the moment.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…WIAW – Still Have A Thing For Oatmeal

Jessie
    March 5, 2014 at 6:18 am

Besides being an awesome sounding workout – I’m impressed w/ the photo LOL! Seriously, it’s like you can do no wrong when it comes to photography #jealous 🙂
    Jessie recently posted…Pretzel Crisps Review & Giveaway

March 5, 2014 at 7:03 am

I occasionally crave intense workouts, but not often! And usually what happens is I’ll get about 1/4 of the way into the workout and be like “What was I thinking to crave this?!” And then I’ll start slacking off and eventually end up just walking on the treadmill for the rest of the time haha.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Weekend recap

Jess @dearhealthyness
    March 5, 2014 at 7:04 am

My body craves hiit, then low impact, then strength, then Pilates , then is lazy!! I just try to keep it fun and interesting! This workout looks really good!
    Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted…WIAW: Outside Dinner

March 6, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Same here! Always changing it up. I have the the attention span of a 3 year old so I don’t think I could stick to any one type of workout!

Joanne
    March 5, 2014 at 7:06 am

What I love most about this workout is that I can do it at home without any special equipment! For those days when it is too lazy/I am too cold to trek it to the gym.
    Joanne recently posted…Wednesday Coffee Talk

erin @ The Almond Eater
    March 5, 2014 at 7:08 am

Oh giiiirl high knees and squat jumps back to back? I’m already dying. I’m also so bad at single leg bridges….embarrassing! My favorite body part used to be abs but it slowly becoming my arms….progress!
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…A Little Break

Elise @ 9toFit.com
    March 5, 2014 at 7:20 am

You always find a way to make everything look so prettyyy, even when writing out workouts lol
    Elise @ 9toFit.com recently posted…Sweet and Salty Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars

Krista @ Tiny n Fit
    March 5, 2014 at 7:35 am

Oh yes, sometimes my body LOVES a good tough workout! This looks killer! But hurt-so-good!
    Krista @ Tiny n Fit recently posted…A (Snow) Day in The Life

Jen @ SavedbytheKale
    March 5, 2014 at 7:37 am

Might have to give this workout a go today! I love that you posted a link to the exercises, there were a few I was not familiar with. 🙂 I felt like I was getting a workout from just watching them, ha! 🙂
    Jen @ SavedbytheKale recently posted…Blow Your Mind Brussels

March 6, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Those agility dots are killer! They’re new to me which is probably why they were so hard. Hope you got a chance to work your booty Jen 🙂

Kim @ BusyBod
    March 5, 2014 at 7:47 am

Ooo this looks so good! I definitely have days when I crave an intense workout. One of the frustrating things about teaching is that if I have to teach later, even if I crave an intense workout, I know it’s better to hold off. So lately, there hasn’t been much in the intensity department, which stinks. Although I do try to make Zumba intense!
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…But… what did you eat?

Tina Muir
    March 5, 2014 at 7:57 am

Oooof that is a tough one! I am not sure there are many people in this world who would handle that and not be sore the next day! I know I definitely would be! I often get sore from my 12.5lb dumbbells haha, that is what my weedy little arms can handle!

Glad you are encouraging people to get off their butts and move! 🙂 In the nicest way possible!
    Tina Muir recently posted…International Women’s Day

Paige@FitNotFad
    March 5, 2014 at 8:20 am

Oh yeah love it! We definitely go hand in hand together 🙂 I feel like I have to make myself do lower body stuff or make it an all over workout…for some reason I have this weird concept that unless I work my arms it wasn’t like a real workout? It’s super weird. Also love “gams”….just adorable!
    Paige@FitNotFad recently posted…Arms and Abs Circuit

kathy @ vodka and soda
    March 5, 2014 at 8:26 am

i’m a bro all the way so any upper body workout i love. i HATE leg day but i refuse to be a typical bro and have a huge upper body with chicken legs. so i work my legs. when i’m in training mode, i crave hard workouts and i’m ramping up for tough mudder in the fall so i’ve been pushing myself really hard.

-kathy | Vodka and Soda
    kathy @ vodka and soda recently posted…humpday confessions

March 6, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I’m gonna book the hotel room next to you so I can cheer you on…but also so that when my morning “business” hits we can run back together.

March 5, 2014 at 8:35 am

I’ve never heard of agility dots, so I had to look that up. And while I’m usually ok without intense workouts, once in a while…you just need it!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: Instead, I…

Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE
    March 5, 2014 at 8:38 am

Sounds intense! Ahhh but who doesn’t love that feeling of good hurt like you said haha! Going to have to try this…if i’m up for the challenge 😉
    Kelly – LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE recently posted…Carrot Ginger Puree Soup

March 5, 2014 at 8:56 am

Since everyone else is going to tell you what a fabulous workout this is, I’ll tell you that the design you picked is banging. I LOVE those colors together, and now I really want a tribal print summer dress or something like that. And I want it to be summer.
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…I Want That Wednesday – Blenders

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    March 5, 2014 at 9:16 am

Nice! I love working my legs, so I would totally do this. I didn’t know what agility dots were before today, either, so now I’ve learned something new.
    I crave intense workouts pretty regularly. I have very little gym time in the morning so I have to make it count! I usually get the intensity through my cardio with intervals, but workouts like this one also find their way into my routine sometimes.
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…My first experience with balls

March 5, 2014 at 9:18 am

My body actually pretty often craves an intense workout. It also craves hot yoga more often than not haha. I like doing arms because I like weights… is that weird?
    Cassie recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday [3]: 24 Hours in NYC

March 6, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I like weights too. That’s what I normally stick to. For some crazy reason my messed up bod decided it wanted to hop around like a crazy person and finish the workout dry-heaving on the floor. WTF?!

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    March 5, 2014 at 9:53 am

I told you you’d get back to craving a few intense workouts here and there :). Love it!
    Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…7 Nutrition Myths that Will Change How You Eat Every Day

March 6, 2014 at 6:17 pm

You always predict my future. Somehow you knew veggies would come back too. You’re like my shaman!

PB&Jess
    March 5, 2014 at 10:29 am

My butt hurts just looking at this (ok, that might be from yesterday’s workout haha)
    PB&Jess recently posted…Smoothie Takeover

The Zen Kat
    March 5, 2014 at 10:38 am

Get that workout girl! Every once in a while I crave one of these workouts too. I love box jumps and major leg workouts.
    The Zen Kat recently posted…Two Fun Evenings

Amanda
    March 5, 2014 at 11:45 am

I like working out my arms and legs the most… I feel like they’re usually the most visible so I want those areas to look best!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run
    March 5, 2014 at 11:49 am

looks like a sweaty one! sometimes no-equipment workouts are the hardest!
    Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run recently posted…Virtual Coffee Date II

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com
    March 5, 2014 at 11:56 am

I crave intense workouts ALL the time – its my drug of choice (along with chocolate and coffee…wait, maybe its because of chocolate and coffee…hmmm)
    I usually take a day off and another day to do an easy workout, but I love love love hard workouts and long runs. Love this workout – I specially like fire hydrants – with 5lb ankle weights on and instead of bringing leg down from side – push it back and then side – so its in constant motion and resulting constant glute burn 🙂
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com recently posted…Bean & Pumpkin Chili: WIAW

Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds
    March 5, 2014 at 12:10 pm

My favorite body part to workout is my mouth. I can run it for daysss 🙂 But in real life, I need to pin this one cause reaching Pippa status is on my bucket list.
    Kristina @ Damn Ten Pounds recently posted…5 Reasons you Should Shop at Ethnic Markets

March 5, 2014 at 2:28 pm

This workout looks awesome – I love to work on my butt (trying to prevent sag!!).
    Yes, I do crave HIIT workouts – I love that feeling of pushing to the absolute max!!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    March 5, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I love HIIT workouts! My favorite HIIT routines are in the TurboFire DVD series. I love feeling like I did a really intense workout and now I can chill out. I have noticed that a lot of classes near me are pushing people really hard without that recovery phase and, like you pointed out, resting is extremely important!

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    March 5, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Will this workout help my glutes double in size??

Maddi @ Push Ups in Pennyloafers
    March 5, 2014 at 5:37 pm

This Workout look so great!

Brittany
    March 5, 2014 at 9:47 pm

I LOVE when I crave a hard workout. Usually for me it’s an intense cardio workout I crave. I have been getting down and dirty with Jillian Michaels via DVD the last couple months, and no one quite makes my arms and legs want to cry like she does.
    Brittany recently posted…Mango Banana Smoothie

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    March 5, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I doooo love intense workouts, and I’ve been craving one filled with burpees and squat jumps for a while now, but that probably won’t happen for a little while longer. I used to despise my big thighs, but now they’re the reason why I love working glutes and legs the most!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Being Humble Hurts

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    March 5, 2014 at 10:00 pm

There are definitely times when I want a super intense workout and I want to get my muscles to shake, and there’s nothing like that hurts-so-good feeling afterwards! I’ll never forget my very first Pure Barre workout. The warmup alone nearly killed me and I couldn’t believe that was the *easy* part. My sister went with me to that class (she refuses to go back lol) and we could hardly walk down the stairs of the parking garage to get to my car. It was kind of hilarious. The next day we went to a Renaissance Festival with some family friends and they were like, “Why are you two walking so funny?” Good times. Good times.
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…The Time I Learned that “Bubbling” Was a Profession

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats
    March 6, 2014 at 7:13 am

I love doing circuit workouts when I want something intense that and running sprints where you run for 30 secs as fast as you can and then rest 30 seconds on the side of the treadmill.

This workout definitely looks like an intense but good one!
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Let’s catch up on fitness and stuff

Mary Frances
    March 6, 2014 at 8:54 am

I can only do “intense” workouts every once in a while. This looks like a good one, Davida! Haha, isn’t it funny how we crave them – and then pay for them the next day? 🙂
    Mary Frances recently posted…Caramel Corn Cookies

Sarah Pie
    March 6, 2014 at 9:53 am

Where’s the twerk? 😉

I love quick at home workouts that pack a punch and this sounds like it fits the bill! I’ll be adding this to my pile of cards to choose from on the days when I don’t know what to do.
    Sarah Pie recently posted…Chopped Kitchen Challenge: March 2014 Ingredients

Heather Murphy
    March 6, 2014 at 10:16 am

Love this workout. You are giving my workouts a run for their money! I am tire just looking at the side lunges and mountain climbers superset. PS I love the border and background of the workout, cute!
    Heather Murphy recently posted…24- Minute AMRAP Workout.

Meghan @fitnesscrEATures
    March 6, 2014 at 10:32 am

Dude, this graphic is seriously the best thing ever. I want to do the workout just so I can look at the cute picture. I bet it was killer. Circuits ALWAYS are. 🙁
    Meghan @fitnesscrEATures recently posted…ALL The Food

March 6, 2014 at 11:05 am

I rarely do high intensity because I push myself too hard. Moderate intensity is good for me!
    Cassie recently posted…thinking out loud #11

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    March 6, 2014 at 8:10 pm

This work out sounds like fun! I am adding it to my list 🙂
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…Spread the Word to End the Word {2014}

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    March 6, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Okay so whenever I do a leg workout I just do all the muscle groups, but last week I did a glute focused workout and holy soreness!!

Friday Finisher 3/7/14 | Strength and Sunshine
    March 7, 2014 at 5:02 am

[…] Glutes & Gams Workout. Well this looks like a fun time Quick and Sweaty! […]