gluten-free paleo sides vegan

Broccoli with Miso-Hemp Dressing

April 29, 2014

I live in fear of having a child who won’t eat vegetables. Yes, I am being serious. Of course I will love my future children no-matter what, but of all the things in the world that I will least be able to tolerate, having a child who doesn’t eat his/her veggies tops the list.

I don’t remember being a picky child myself, but then again I also don’t remember being a bratty teenager, though I suspect my parents would say otherwise!

Broccoli with misos hemp dressingI do have a talent for hiding vegetables in the strangest places, but spinach brownies aren’t necessarily the best way to avoid getting scurvy. Knowing my luck, my children will turn and run at the sight of a plate of broccoli, and if they have my genes they will trip and fall along the way.

Now don’t get me wrong, I won’t be the parent sending their kid to school with organic, gluten-free, vegan, paleo, nut-free lunches when it’s their pizza day, nor will I be hiding their Halloween candy but I do expect them to not shove their peas under the table when I’m not looking (I may or may not have done that growing up…).

Broccoli with miso hemp dressing 2I can already hear the parents reading this sighing and saying to themselves that I know nothing. Yup, you’re right. I am totally naive and ignorant and perhaps a little bit stupid, but in the meantime I am going to continue panicking at the thought of this, while eating my broccoli. Not the worst way to stress eat…

Broccoli with Miso-Hemp Dressing

Cook Time 10 mins
Serves 4     adjust servings

• 1 medium head of broccoli, chopped into florets
  • 2 T hemp seeds
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 T miso paste
  • 1 tsp honey

1. Steam broccoli. I use a microwave by placing florets in a microwave safe bowl, topping with 1 tablespoon of water, covering it with plastic wrap and zapping it for 3 minutes. Use whichever method you prefer.
  2. In a blender combine hemp seeds, water, miso paste and honey.
  3. Top broccoli with miso-hemp dressing and serve warm.

Broccoli with miso hemp dressong 4Were you a picky kid growing up? Parents, do you have picky kids?

Cat
    April 29, 2014 at 5:23 am

I was a picky kid in some ways (I went through a phase where chicken nuggets and chips were pretty much the only things I would eat for dinner – cringe) but I always loved me some veggies – weirdly, it was the broccoli stalks I liked most! Now, the test in my family would be getting my dad to eat broccoli – I think dousing it in that dressing would do the job though 😉
    Cat recently posted…Learning to Say No is Good For You

April 29, 2014 at 5:35 am

You really should be mates with Niki….she used to throw beef and broccoli under the table wrapped up in klenexes.

And what do you mean you won’t send them to school with paleo gluten free sugar free meals? Child abuse.

PS IF you like miso paste, you’ll love vegemite.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Blogger Guilt- So you want to take a blogging break

Lauren
    April 29, 2014 at 5:55 am

Ooo a sweet miso hemp dressing – that sounds good!
    I was terrible as a child for not eating vegetables past the simple broccoli and carrot numbers. I didn’t even try them I just decided they did not look nice… I was so stubborn I sat at those dinner tables for hourrrs. Anyway I eat pretty much everything now, as vegetables are bloody delicious! Only took until my 20s ;). I pray my children are not as difficult ha!
    Lauren recently posted…Blogger Meet Up and Ridiculously Easy Smoothie

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    April 29, 2014 at 6:23 am

I was an extremely picky eater, even up until the last few years. Now I eat a wide variety of foods and probably moreso than my nonvegetarian counterparts….My son though, as not picky as he is, vegetables are really not his thing. Most kids are picky when it comes to the vegetables so I wish you good luck in dealing with that when you have kids! lol.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Health Benefits of Green Tea Plus Matcha Green Tea Giveaway

erin @ The Almond Eater
    April 29, 2014 at 6:55 am

I was semi picky but was definitely forced to eat my broccoli. Good thing or maybe I still wouldn’t like it! And what do you mean you’re not going to pack your kids a paleo vegan GF nut free sugar free lunch on pizza day?? What kind of future mother are you?!
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Ooey Gooey Avocado Cookies

Kim @ BusyBod
    April 29, 2014 at 7:03 am

I was a nightmare eater as a child. Nightmare. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. My dad was particularly distraught by this (and remains so to this day) because he is a definite foodie. Sorry dad!
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…It’s the final countdown {weekly plan}

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    April 29, 2014 at 7:08 am

Hahaha you’re so funny. But I TOO have that same fear! I wasn’t a super picky kid, but I seemed like it. There were in fact only 5 foods I didn’t like, but they were either things that showed up in EVERYTHING or such typical kid foods, that most people thought I was the worst.

Foods I hated: peanut butter, cheese, ketchup, mushrooms and peppers. Do you see the problem here? Thankfully I got over most of those, although I’m still not a ketchup person. Mustard for the win!

This recipe looks awesome, perfect way to dress up might recent nightly steamed broccoli!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…tempeh portobello sloppy joes

April 29, 2014 at 7:48 am

I was basically the pickiest kid ever. If it wasn’t brown (cereal, pudding, pasta, potatoes….) I probably didn’t want to eat it. I think I drove my parents slightly insane as a kid…
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…FLTW: Learning to Embrace Meditation Through Yoga.

Joanne
    April 29, 2014 at 8:09 am

Given that my kids are going to be vegetarian, to say that I worry a lot about this is an understatement! Let’s stress eat our broccoli together!
    Joanne recently posted…Corn, Asparagus, and Basil Barley Risotto

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    April 29, 2014 at 8:18 am

I don’t remember being a super picky eater as a kid, but my mom was really good at hiding veggies in things (like mac and cheese) so it never became an issue. I did have a really tiny appetite and my dad and sister would wait and watch for me to get full so they could fight over my leftovers. Ahh, memories.
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…Banana cream smoothie

Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN
    April 29, 2014 at 8:19 am

I just liked sugar and cheese when I was a kid. I ate SO MUCH chocolate. Probably the reason why I’m so sensitive to sugar now & it makes me gain weight if I get carried away.

Mmmm miso dressing is so good – you can literally put it on almost anything!

Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body
    April 29, 2014 at 8:34 am

Bulk barn had hemp seeds on sale this week so I just restocked and was looking for more ways to use them. This sounds perfect because I love dressings and sauces!
    Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body recently posted…Berry Mochi Pancakes – with umami talk

kaitlin @4loveofcarrots
    April 29, 2014 at 8:41 am

I have the same fear! But I keep telling myself if I eat healthy my child will too and its sooo important how you eat while pregnant! Btw this recipe sounds amazeballs!
    kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted…Cooking with Tuttorosso

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    April 29, 2014 at 9:06 am

i dont think i was a picky kid but raw broccoli – no can do 🙁
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…He Is Not Dead

April 29, 2014 at 9:07 am

The good news is that as long as your kids don’t hate oranges, they won’t be getting scurvy. But maybe you can scare them into eating veggies by lying and telling them t hey’ll turn into pirates if they don’t. Probably still wouldn’t have worked on this non-vegetable eating child, but then again I turned out just fine.
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…Does Everything Deserve Your Attention?

Em @ Love A Latte
    April 29, 2014 at 10:03 am

That dressing looks tasty. I wasn’t really that picky a kid growing up, but I ate a much different diet than I do now. It wasn’t anywhere close to vegan. I certainly ate my share of processed foods, deli meats, and glasses of milk. So basically of the food I was given each day, I wasn’t picky. Maybe I would have been if my parents hadn’t been so lenient with what I ate.
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Pregnancy Journey – 25 Weeks

April 29, 2014 at 10:05 am

I would have been your worst nightmare when I was a little kid. I refused to touch any vegetable that wasn’t corn, carrots, or potatoes, and my mom would often have to set aside a little bit of what she was making before she seasoned it with things like garlic, onions, and spices because I refused to eat that too. I had simple tastes… and if someone would have told me that I would grow up to love all the veggies, I would have laughed myself sick.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. flourless banana bread muffins .

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    April 29, 2014 at 10:17 am

Yum yum! I have miso in my fridge that I just don’t know what to do with aside from making more soup … perfect!!! Thank you 🙂
    Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…It Doesn’t Have to Be That Complicated … Testimonials

Diane @ Life of Di.
    April 29, 2014 at 10:23 am

Broccoli is my favorite vegetable 🙂 I’m not sure why I’ve always loved it but I just do 🙂 I’m always looking for fun ways to ‘spice’ it up and I think this miso-hemp dressing would be delicious! Thanks for the recipe!
    Diane @ Life of Di. recently posted…Oh Glorious Day: Easter 2014.

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    April 29, 2014 at 11:26 am

Broccoli and I are each other’s arch nemesis! Broccoli kicks my ass, but then I just take a knife to it’s head……. And guess who wins?!?! That basta**!
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted…WTF Are They Made Of, Healthy Doughnuts

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    April 29, 2014 at 11:59 am

I’m always looking for new ways to make dressing and this is such a great idea! Broccoli is one of my favorite veggies!
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…3-Ingredient Miso Tilapia

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    April 29, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I grew up in Wi and for whatever reason we rarely ate vegetables. As a matter of fact, it scares me when I think about what we ate growing up. Too much cheese, carbs and gunk. I love broccoli & never thought about putting a dressing on it. Yum!
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Low-Fat Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Shashi
    April 29, 2014 at 12:23 pm

My daughter used to hate broccoli till she was around 9 – I would sit for hours with her, waiting for her to finish a small serving of them and she would just chew and chew till she almost gagged! But now, now, she is the one who asks me for it if we go a couple days without broccoli – go figure!?!?!
    Shashi recently posted…Healthy Chocolate Scones!

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    April 29, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I worry that my kids will have big ears and won’t drink the green smoothies I make them.

I’m already a huge fan of broccoli, I would eat mounds of it with just like pepper on top. But sometimes I like to jazz it up with cilantro hummus from TJs. OH ps if you want anything from TJs please let me know and I will bring it with me to your place.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Slow Day, Good Eats [WIAW #44]

Nikki @ Quest for Balance
    April 29, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Yet another hilariously written post. I am going to have to stop reading your blog at work because I end up finding something hilarious and doing that awkward muffled laugh where it kind of sounds like a snort. Ya…..

My parents nicknamed my the “Carbohydrate Queen” when I was a tot because I lived off of potatoes, bread, noodle, pretty much any refined carb. Super healthy I know. I blame it on my parents serving canned beans and corn. I’m sure if they had made some delicious broccoli like this one I would have eaten it. I think with your mad kitchen skills you’ll be in the clear for anti-vegetable children.
    Nikki @ Quest for Balance recently posted…30 Day Paleo Challenge Update – Weeks 2 and 3

Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE
    April 29, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I love the idea behind this very healthful dressing. Hahah love your fear for your kids not liking veggies…totally a realistic one. I never understand when kids hate all vegetables. I blame the parents. You know the parents who give a kid a vegetable to try and say…”ohhh you probably won’t like it.” Ok, well now you implanted that they hate it in their head. ALSO if parents don’t eat veggies themselves. Kids pick up a lot by seeing what their parents do. I bet you Miss Davida, your kids will like their veggies!!! Maybe not all of them, but if they have a mom like you, that damn well knows how to cook good food, they’re sure to be fine 😀 Pinned for later!
    Kelly – LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE recently posted…Peanut Lover’s Breakfast Smoothie

Alicia S
    April 29, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I remember eating whatever was put in front of me…but of course, that is what I remember. My kids ate everything when they were little, calling broccoli “little trees” and loving tuna salad. But now they hate veggies and swear they would never have even tasted a tuna salad *sigh*.
    Alicia S recently posted…I Am My Mother and Proud of it!

lindsay
    April 29, 2014 at 3:04 pm

so i just bought miso paste because i love it straight up! but the kiwi does not, so this might work!!! YAY
    lindsay recently posted…Motivation Monday – Choosing Contentment

Amanda
    April 29, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever been super picky about the food itself… I’m just weird about textures! I like the flavor of onions but haaaate the feeling of them… stuff like that.

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    April 29, 2014 at 3:55 pm

My mom said that when I was younger I would always prefer veggies over anything else. Shocking since now I’d die for a brownie over a carrot, any day of the week. 😉
    I’ve never cookd with hemp seeds before but this dressing looks delicious. 🙂

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    April 29, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Haha. I think it is mandatory that all kids hate vegetables. Actually I wasn’t too bad when I was younger except for peas. I hated them so much and Mom would make them because my Dad loves them. Ick. So gross. She hates them too though so she finally gave in and realized it would stop torturing at least 3 of us if there were no more peas.
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Top Ten Tennis Tips for Beginners

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    April 29, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I totally have the same fear for my (possible future) children too! I myself went through stages: my mom fed me spinach baby food when I was a roly-poly baby, then I would only eat well-cooked veggies throughout my childhood, and now I want ALL the vegetables. I dunno, perhaps it will end up working out sooner or later. But with your cooking, I’m sure your kids would have no issue packing in those veggies!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Fantastic Fats

April 29, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Haha I fear my the same thing! Can you imagine a dietitian with kids who won’t get their veggies? Won’t be good for my reputation…

My parents got me to like vegetables as a kid though, so I’ll have to hit them up for advice. Actually, it might have something to do with the cheese sauce they smothered my broccoli in…
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Spring chickpea quinoa salad

Isadora @ she likes food
    April 29, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Hopefully if you and your baby daddy eat healthy, it will come natural to your kids! My husband could survive on pizza and french fries, so I am really worried that he will pass that down to our kids, I’ll have to try to get to them with my healthy eating first! I love this sauce! I’ve never used miso before but have been wanting to use it lately, maybe I’ll start with this sauce, I’m always looking for delicious sauces to eat my broccoli with!

Emily
    April 29, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I am so, so grateful that Squish has never met a veggie he didn’t like. Especially broccoli. Now, if you give him a choice between, like, pizza and broccoli, that’s a no-brainer; few of us would pass that test. But if you just sit him down in front of a plate of steamed broccoli, he will go to town with a smile.
    Emily recently posted…Easter Festivus

Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan
    April 29, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Firsttt of all, this broccoli looks outrageously yummy. Second of all, I laughed out loud at the “and if they have my genes they will trip and fall along the way.” That makes a few of us clumsy blogger gals, haha. And I also live in fear that my kids won’t like veggies! And I AM going to be that weirdo mom that at least TRIES to have her kids be vegan… already trying with my nieces and nephew, and it’s not easy… Gotta make this recipe soon!!
    Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan recently posted…Healthy Ways to Indulge

Mary Frances
    April 29, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Peas under the table, ahem, … actually, I am a broccoli hater (don’t hate, ok? 🙂 but I loved peas! I think my broccoli never had this amazing dressing and that’s why I’ve had issues all these years. Haha, glad you won’t be sending your kids to school with plain lettuce and fat free sugar free everything free pizza! 😉 Even if you did, I’m pretty sure you could make it taste good. I’m liking this broccoli, so you’re doing it right!
    Mary Frances recently posted…Hands Down The Most Amazing VEGAN Chocolate Pudding

April 29, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I totally used to drop my veggies on the floor under the kitchen table for my dog to eat! Haha.
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Mint Chocolate Chip Date Balls

April 29, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Thankfully our boys are not picky!!
    However, my nephew (my sister’s son that I’m visiting right now) is very picky – sort of funny but it makes any meal planning difficult!!!
    Kim recently posted…Driving and Running, Business and Sleeping, Babies and Blogging

Broccoli with Miso-Hemp Dressing – The Healthy Maven | The Hemp Network News
    April 30, 2014 at 8:55 pm

[…] See the original post: Broccoli with Miso-Hemp Dressing – The Healthy Maven […]

May 1, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I need to buy miso paste. I never look hard enough at WF. SPEAKING OF… need to text you to send me your TJs/American Food shopping list…
    Cassie recently posted…Should We Stop Photographing Our Food?

Deborah Davis
    May 2, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I just hopped by from Healthy Vegan Friday to see your very appealing recipe for Broccoli with Miso Hemp Dressing. I love broccoli and eat it almost daily so it is such a pleasure to discover a new way to enjoy it. I could use that miso dressing for a lot of different purposes. It looks so yummy and satisfying! Feel free to hop by and share your delicious, vegan recipes at the Plant Based Potluck Party Link Up (http://urbannaturale.com/share-the-food-fun-at-the-plant-based-potluck-party-link-up-10/)
    Deborah Davis recently posted…Announcing the Winner of the Vegan Starter Kit from Vegan Cuts

May 3, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Broccoli is the Hubby’s favorite. I kinda dig it too.

I was the pickiest of picky eaters growing. My parents timed me and it took 20 minutes for me to eat a piece of lettuce. No joke. That’s issues right there.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Currently: May 2014