blogging

{Ebook Talk} Nutrition and Portions

April 23, 2014

So I’ve officially shot 7 recipes! I thought I would be overwhelmed but truth-be-told I’m not. I LOVE getting creative in the kitchen so having an outlet that can be 100% recipe-based is really nice for me. Plus I’ve yet to get sick of breakfast food…talk to me again in a few months.

photographingThanks again for everyone’s feedback on the bacon issue. Looks like most of you think it’s cool if I don’t include it…much to C’s dismay. One day I’ll conquer my fear. But just so you know, the book won’t be meat free. For some reason I hate bacon but love sausage (I can just hear Arman snickering at this). There will definitely be some fish thrown in there too.

In terms of nutrition I am keeping everything gluten-free and some recipes happen to be vegan while others are paleo. Whatever they are, they’re straight-up awesome so it’s all good. Which brings me to my next question, do you guys want me to include the nutrition profile for each recipe? As you know, my philosophy focuses on counting ingredients not calories but I do appreciate that some people are concerned with these and also want to know the protein, fat, sugar etc…of what they’re eating. I certainly don’t mind including it but before I put in the work, I wanted to know if this is something that you guys want to see.

[yop_poll id=”3″]

Next up, portions! Most of the recipes that I post on here are single-serve or for two people. I’m not sure why that is, but it’s worked out that way. Despite the fact that there’s just two of us in our apartment, I’ve been trying to up the portion sizes to feed more people. I just want to know from you guys how many people that should be, 4 people? 8 people? a small country? Help me out! Speaking of helping me out, who wants to come over and eat all of this breakfast food? SO.MANY.PANCAKES.

[yop_poll id=”4″]

One last point, I know a lot of you brought up last week that I should do what I want, since it is my cookbook after all. Trust me, I know I have total creative control over this BUT I am hoping I won’t be the only person reading it so your feedback is important to me. I appreciate your support more than you can imagine, but I’m not going to pretend that I want more than just my Mom buying the ebook 🙂

Nutrition labels, are they important to you? How many people do you typically cook for?

April 23, 2014 at 7:57 am

I think the front cover picture is going to be epic.

I think you should include nutritional information. I reckon you have many readers who’d appreciate that information, and those who couldn’t care less- can gloss over it.

As for servings- Having made a few of yours before, even if they aren’t single serving they freeze/fridge well…or eating them in one go and resulting in a food baby (*cough* salmon salad *cough*).
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…What I ate Wednesday- A day on my plate back home

Lauren
    April 23, 2014 at 8:16 am

I will happily come over and eat all of the breakfast food – only a short flight away…
    I agree with Arman – some people will find it very helpful and those who don’t want to know don’t have to look 🙂
    I suppose serving sizes don’t really matter as people can adjust to the number they are cooking for… Personally I cook for 2 most nights but there is the odd occasion when I will do it for mooore!

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner
    April 23, 2014 at 8:21 am

I don’t usually look at nutrition labels because I just try to avoid anything that’s processed anyway. Eating real foods makes me at peace about what I’m eating. I’m usually cooking for just my husband and I, but I like to make a lot so there’s leftovers for lunches throughout the week!
    Samantha @ The Faithful Runner recently posted…Fit Tip Tuesday – Earth Day

Mary Frances
    April 23, 2014 at 8:24 am

I do like nutrition labels, but it is easy for me to get hung up on numbers, not the actual nutrition. I think more people will want them, than not, but I know I can trust you personally for healthy recipes (look at your track record!) without needing actual numbers. Totally up to you though! The questionnaire was pretty fun, too! 🙂
    Mary Frances recently posted…Chocolate Swirl PB2 Banana Muffins

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    April 23, 2014 at 8:31 am

AHHHH I’m so excited for this! Uhmmmm no nutrition labels aren’t important to me personally but I could see how/why many people would want to know that info. And I make all my meals for 2 people usually–it just works out that way!
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Be Happy Right Now

Becky @ Olives n Wine
    April 23, 2014 at 8:33 am

You’re ROCKING this ecookbook already, girly! And to answer your question, yes, nutrition labels are most definitely important. Whether or not someone is counting calories, they may have specific dietary restrictions (diabetic, thyroid issues, etc.) and need to know the nutrition information of what they’re eating. I always figure it’s best to provide that on the front end than get a million and two questions after you’ve already completed the work!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Things I’ve learned…

Ann
    April 23, 2014 at 8:38 am

I’d suggest you make recipes yielding 2 persons. It’s easy to half for a single serving, and easy to double for a family!
    I would appreciate a nutrition label!!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    April 23, 2014 at 8:46 am

I’m not so interested in the nutritional profile. I pretty much just go by the ingredients too. However, lots of people are concerned with the nutritional info, so I think including it will make your book more marketable. Sounds like it’s coming together beautifully!
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday: Recent Eats and Treats

Ksenija @ With An Open Mind
    April 23, 2014 at 8:47 am

I love how you include us readers in your creation process – that is what social media is all about, isn’t it 😉 and I think making readers excited about your project is a good way of promoting your e-book. Regarding your questions, I dealt with the same problem a while ago on my blog. I saw how other blogs included nutrition labels to their recipes and as I started using a recipe plugin with this option, I wondered if I should use it. In the end I decided against it, since it goes against my health believes. I don’t know any body who started counting calories and did not fall into restrictive behavior and developed an unhealthy relationship to food. Plus I really don’t believe that calories are equal and measuring food in these terms will do any good. So I decided myself against it. Also: I know only a few food bloggers who cook for more than 2 persons. We are all a pretty young generation and only a few of us have children, who are usually still toddlers. So I think making recipes for 2 portions with the option of doubling ingredients for additional eaters or leftovers is a good way to go. I find it easier to double than to divide… don’t judge :p!
    Ksenija @ With An Open Mind recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday {in France #10}

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    April 23, 2014 at 8:50 am

i like knowing the nutrition content 🙂 I typically cook for 2 but 2-4 is a good number for me because i always struggle to scale down the recipe if its making for a family of 12 or something.

April 23, 2014 at 9:03 am

You should definitely include nutrition labels. More professional and appeals to a wider audience. I don’t think it’s necessary for every recipe you post on the blog, but when you’re doing an actual book that you want readers to buy, it’s essential. I think meals for 2 is perfect. More than likely, most of your audience is cooking for one or two, and those who are cooking for more can easily double the recipe.
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…The Evolution of the Maxi Skirt

Kim @ BusyBod
    April 23, 2014 at 9:19 am

I always cook for one or two, but I feel like when it comes to portions, as long at the recipe scales fine, it doesn’t really matter, you know? We can all multiply and divide (hopefully). As for nutrition info, I think it’s easy in the healthy living bubble for people who are already at a healthy weight to forget how important this information is for people who need to lose weight for health reasons. For anyone who doesn’t care about calories, macros, etc., they can always ignore it. But for people who really need that information because they are just starting out or because they are on a weight loss plan with a doctor or other reputable organization, that information is critical, and I think you could lose potential buyers by excluding it. Just my two cents!
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…4 Life lessons learned in yoga

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    April 23, 2014 at 9:34 am

These days I am cooking most often for myself and m son. Since I am vegetarian and he isn’t, I am forever making two different meals – for one. lol. I don’t love leftovers so this works for me. I don’t pay much mind to calorie counts – I am aware of them yes but since most of what I eat doesn’t have a label, I sort of solve the problem of deciding if I need/should pay attention or not.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…WIAW- More Complex Carbs Plus My New Favorite Lunch

Em @ Love A Latte
    April 23, 2014 at 9:42 am

I cook mostly for myself and husband, but I like to make enough food that I have leftovers for lunch the next day 🙂
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Pregnancy Journey – 24 Weeks

Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon
    April 23, 2014 at 9:42 am

I think 2-4 is a good number to shoot for, so 2 people could potentially have leftovers, etc. Love that you are rocking it and loving it!!
    Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon recently posted…Potato & Greens Gratin

Becky@TheSavedRunner
    April 23, 2014 at 9:44 am

I think it is so so cool that you are making a cook book! I would have no idea where to even start!
    Becky@TheSavedRunner recently posted…Another Grocery Haul on a Budget

Megan (The Lyons' Share)
    April 23, 2014 at 10:07 am

Although I do support looking at the nutrient content of the ingredients (the whole “eat real food” thing is the best guideline there is!), I also think that nutrition information is helpful, and so I would recommend including it. I also prefer recipes that serve 2 but I totally get the need to serve more. 8 seems like a lot … do most people cook for 8 on a regular basis?
    Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…How to Choose Your Next Race

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    April 23, 2014 at 11:05 am

Everyone is so different in all of the aspects that you touched…
    For me, I always look at nutritional information on ingredients or things that I’m buying at the store, but I don’t do that for recipes that I make. I never noticed that and I wonder why I do that?

Portions…well, it’s just me and my hubby. But sometimes I make things for just myself, so the 1 serving size is super handy. I also cook things for a crowd on occasion. I think it depends on what the recipe is. Oatmeal…1 or 2 servings is good. Casserole…4-6 is probably better (but since the topic is on an ecookbook, that last part doesn’t apply…I was just trying to make a comparison in general). 🙂

I’m glad to hear that your ecookbook adventures are going smoothly. It’s all about the attitude. If you take it with ease, it will be as such. 🙂
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Indian Chickpea Salad

Ashley
    April 23, 2014 at 11:07 am

I think it’s better to include nutrition info…usually I don’t pay attention to it, but then there are some weeks that I will track my food to take note of how many grams of carbs and sugar I’m taking in. As for the portions, I think it’s much easier to double a recipe than to cut it in half, so 1-2 portions is the way to go! (assuming everyone out there is as bad as math as me) Glad you’re enjoying the process!
    Ashley recently posted…turkey kale nuggets

Madison @ Eating 4 Balance
    April 23, 2014 at 11:23 am

Ebook? Say what? NOW I NEED to go catch up on your past posts. This has me incredibly excited.

I’ve seen where some will just have a page for nutrition info on their site, or include it in the back instead of with the recipes themselves. That would please those who constantly ask for the nutrition info (I hate seeing those commenters on blogs. Just look it up yourself!) but would also be great for those who don’t want the facts blaring in their face. Sometimes you just want to make and eat 🙂
    Madison @ Eating 4 Balance recently posted…WIAW- Recipe Reviews and Sweet Potato Biscuits

April 23, 2014 at 11:29 am

I personally don’t care much for nutrition labels as long as I’m happy with the ingredients in a recipe, buuuuuut I know a lot of people really pay attention to that kind of stuff, so it might be beneficial to include it if you want to appeal to your audience. And I’m all about the single servings… double a few times a year 😉
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. WIAW … one breakfast is never enough .

Brittany
    April 23, 2014 at 11:57 am

You look like an angel in that dress in that photo! GORGEOUS! I am so excited for you!! I normally make meals for 1-3 people, so I never need the bigger serving meals. Then again my serving size is usually larger than normal. HAHA. Nutrition info would be cool, but not necessary. Unless you wannA.

Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE
    April 23, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Yay!! So happy for you Miss Davida! I think as for nutrition information…I don’t personally pay attention to it or count calories. But there most certainly are people that do. I’d say it’s a hard thing to decide, because you want to stay true to what your views are on food, but you want to cater to your readers. I would go for it. As for servings…I think 2 is fine. People can easily multiply it…and if they can’t….well maybe they need to revisit 3rd grade math again haha!

I’m sure you’ll decide the best thing to do. Have a lovely Wednesday!!
    Kelly – LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE recently posted…Peanut Butter Examination

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    April 23, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I usually cook for myself and my boyfriend but I typically like to make enough for us to have leftovers for lunch.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…Enjoying the Natural Beauty

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    April 23, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I definitely think nutritional labels are important not enough people are reading them either. They should be looking at ingredients. Too much gunk in our food as well as sugar and sodium. I think they are important. I have to document my foods carefully for my vitamin deficiency. I’m sure other people with medical conditions would appreciate it as well.
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…WIAW…Easter Sunday

Khushboo
    April 23, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I can’t wait to see the finished product, girl! Any e-book devoted to breakfast has got to be a good one (even more so that it’s bacon-free)! I am not too bothered about the nutritional info- I appreciate it if it is featured, but am fine if it is not available. I feel like for those who are really keen on them, there are enough resources available online to determine the values.
    Khushboo recently posted…Healthy Made Easy E-Book + Giveaway

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat
    April 23, 2014 at 12:46 pm

We do leftovers in this house. While it’s just my husband and I, I always make anywhere between 4 and 8 servings of whatever meal, so we can enjoy the food again and not have to cook all the time.
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…Expert Q&A: Running While Pregnant

April 24, 2014 at 8:37 am

I’m all about leftovers too! The freezer is my friend 🙂

Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan
    April 23, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Love that the recipes are all gluten-free but especially love that their main criteria is simply being straight-up awesome! I think including nutrition info is a great idea… counting nutrients/ingredients instead of calories is a wonderful sentiment, but when it comes to people making other people’s recipes they love to know all the dirty deets! I included nutrition info with my 5-day detox program and people seemed to love that aspect of it. And it’s pretty easy to plug everything into an online nutrition/calorie calculator. I am getting so excited for your eBook!! And looking forward to seeing if you do get sick of breakfast foods, hehe… it will be pretty hard to do that, I imagine 😉 oh! And so awesome that you included a little poll quiz on here… I need to learn how to do that!! xo

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    April 23, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Ugh Davs I’m serious about the bacon-pb breakfast dish. I really really am.

Also, I think it’d be soooooo beneficial to make the recipe for one to two people. It’s way easier for people to double a recipe than cut it in half. (Math is not my strong suit so when I need to cut say, 2/3, in half I’m like wtf)

xo
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Slow Day, Good Eats [WIAW #44]

April 24, 2014 at 8:37 am

I know, I’m waiting for you to get here so we can recipe develop together!!! 2 weeks and a day ahhhhhh

April 23, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Ahhh so excited for you my dear!! I’m not one to care all that much about nutrition labels, but I know a lot of people like to know/care about that kinda thing, so I’d include them so that you’re appealing to a wider range of people…I mean, if people don’t want to know they just don’t have to look at it, whereas people who do would have to calculate it themselves.
    And I’m all for 1-2 person portions – I always skip breakfast recipes serving any more than that because I’m never cooking breakfast for more than 2 people. And of course, people can double/quadruple recipes if needed.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: All The Carbs.

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    April 23, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I will come and eat food! 🙂
    I am so happy for you and this journey you are creating for yourself! It is nice to get feedback from time to time! I hope it is in a positive way and makes your book AWESOME!
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…Bonanza Road Race 10K: Race Recap!!!

April 23, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Just voted, and I love that you’re asking us for feedback! Very cool. Yes, I do care about the nutrition labels. I totally understand people who just want to count ingredients and not get obsessed with the fat/carb/protein ratios, but personally, I just operate better and healthier if I know exactly what I’m taking in… otherwise I eat like 2 cups of granola and think it’s perfectly cool. 😉 Measuring food out helps me not to get crazy with feeding myself with my eyes and not thinking about how much stomach should really be having haha
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Fontina, Artichoke & Roma Tomato Calzone

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit
    April 23, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I do look at labels, more for what the ingredients are than for cals/fat/pro, although those are a clsoe second.
    Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit recently posted…FABLETICS Review

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan
    April 23, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Davida – I gotta give it to you, asking around and doing surveys really connects US with YOUR ebook – its kinda like a part of our opinions helped form your book …or maybe am just totally weird thinking that way???
    Either way, I bet there will be more than your mama buying this ebook! 🙂

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    April 23, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Yay, so excited to see what kind of recipes you have! I voted for cooking for 1-2 people, cause it’s obviously just me and Riley. I also don’t really keep leftover breakfast stuff!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Egg sandwiches on the road

Amanda
    April 23, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Am I a nerd for being super excited to vote on these?!
    Amanda recently posted…Embarrasing Photo Ahead

kathy @ vodka and soda
    April 23, 2014 at 8:04 pm

i always read the label on any food before i eat it. i put a lot in my mouth (ha!) but if there’s weird shit i can’t read, it doesn’t go in my mouth.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda
    kathy @ vodka and soda recently posted…humpday confessions

Paige@FitNotFad
    April 23, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Nutrition labels are not important to me but I do know that they are to a lot of people. And I’m cooking for one so whatever you do i will just do division! (Or not….I’ll find someone to do the division for me!!) Whatever you do though, I’ll be purchasing.
    Paige@FitNotFad recently posted…DIY: Avocado Hair Mask

April 23, 2014 at 11:06 pm

That dress is sooooo cute. And I am so excited to buy the f out of your ebook. Then forcing everyone in my life to buy a copy too!!!
    Cassie recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday: Charleston Eats

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food
    April 24, 2014 at 1:11 am

I think you should include nutrition info…. I love knowing the protein and sugar amounts! As for portions…. if they are single serve or for 2 people then the recipe is easily doubled to feed more people.
    Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…Weekend In The Dells

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    April 24, 2014 at 3:58 am

I can’t wait for your ebook! I cook for 2 since it’s just me and my husband. I think it would be great if you included nutrition info in your ebook!
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…Berry Chia Pudding

April 24, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I actually really like one or two person recipes for breakfast, since I rarely make breakfast for more than 2 people at a time, and I’m not really a fan of soggy leftover pancakes and waffles. 😛
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Cheesy chicken sausage pasta

Lauren @ Sweat The Sweet Stuff
    April 24, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Congrats on the book love! 🙂

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    April 26, 2014 at 5:06 am

I hope there’s some salmon involved here ;–) Also, I don’t care about the calories and stuff, but it’s ok if the nutritional data appears in the book – I’m sure it’ll be awesome anyway!
    And now I’m cooking for 3-4 people (my father won’t ever eat what I cook ahh sighs), but since I’m moving to college in a couple of months and I’ll live alone, single serving recipes are the way to go! x
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…Mexican Paleo Super Bowl

Luv What You Do
    May 1, 2014 at 10:33 pm

i am so behind on my blog reading…part of my unplug goal for April I guess.
    Congrats on the cookbook! SO exciting!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…#ThrowbackThursday #GrandpaAl