Live

{Ebook Talk} Recipe Breakdown

April 30, 2014

So if you haven’t heard yet, I announced at the beginning of the month that I am writing an ecookbook! I thought it might be fun to include you guys in the process so that everyone can see that it IS possible (or so I hope) and might learn something from my journey.

Just to recap…

1. I announced I was writing an ecookbook and discussed how I had no clue what I was doing
2. The theme is breakfast food!
3. We talked portions and nutrition

Based on last week’s polls, it’s pretty clear you guys want to see the nutrition info on each recipe. As per some people’s suggestions, I am going to include them but will put them at the back of the book as a reference for those who want to see it. I plan to use MyFitnessPal to calculate the nutrition on each recipe but if you guys have an online resource you prefer, hook a sista up!

As for portions, it wasn’t so clear cut. I’ve decided that for those recipes that cannot be eaten as leftovers or frozen, the portion size will be 1-2. For things which can be frozen or are almost impossible to make for 1-2 (i.e. muffins, scones, loaves etc…) the portions will be significantly bigger. My main thing is making sure no food goes to waste, so make your freezer your friend!

In other news, check out this photo fail…

IMG_2563Initially my plan was to shoot 1-2 extra recipes a week until I had enough to make a book. Well that plan didn’t work out so well. I knew I needed a bit more direction so I decided on a number, 40 recipes! I was worried about my motivation, but I am almost halfway through the recipes so clearly that won’t be a problem. But I have decided to remake each recipe to ensure they work perfectly, which means making 80 recipes…sooooooo yeah…help?!

I have written down 39 recipe ideas that have been broken down into 6 categories:

Eggs
Waffles/Pancakes/French Toast
Baked Goods (muffins, loaves, breakfast cookies etc…)
Breakfast Grains (oatmeal, quinoa, granola etc…)
Drinks (lattes, smoothies, ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES #DUH etc..)
Miscellaneous (puddings, meat, nut butters, sides etc…)

How I am able to come up with 39 recipes and be stumped on the last one is beyond me. Instead of dwelling on it, I am recruiting your help. I want to know which of these categories is your favourite so I at least have some direction with the last recipe. If you’re so keen, leave a comment below with your favourite breakfast recipe or idea and perhaps I will rip you off and steal it (kidding).

[yop_poll id=”5″]

Favourite breakfast food? What theme would you pick for your ebook?

April 30, 2014 at 5:35 am

OHHH D you’re killing it.

How about recipe 40 be pasta with minced beef and cauliflower? Or Persian Quinoa.

Thanks so much for including nutritional info. Now I avoid all the ones with carbs in them! #wholedavida
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Sydney Eating with company

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    April 30, 2014 at 5:50 am

Wow girl, I would be so freaking overwhelmed. You truly are amazing. I think we need you to healthify some Swiss traditional recipes. Seriously, if I would eat only those, I would be a whale in 2 weeks.
    I love bakes – cause they are easy and I can do other things while they are baking (drinking for example). So my fave breakfast is the Oatmeal Bake/Cake! Steal it, if you like.
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…No filter WIAW#59

Lauren
    April 30, 2014 at 5:54 am

You are doing so amazing fitting all of this recipe testing in!! If you need any help with making sure recipes work then drop me an email and I will be more than happy to help – I mean I get to eat a great breakfast recipe as a result! I love all breakfast food so that is not very helpful in choosing. If I had to choose an absolute favourite it would be pancakes. But I have to say that Pesto looking tofu scramble on your instagram looked like a baaaadman!
    Lauren recently posted…Blogger Meet Up and Ridiculously Easy Smoothie

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    April 30, 2014 at 6:21 am

I am all about oatmeal; have been well before I landed in blog zone…simple bowls, bowls with fruit, hot, cold, warm, mixed with yogurt, layered as a parfait, baked, pancake form….you get my drift? lol
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…WIAW- Why Are Blueberries So Expensive?

erin @ The Almond Eater
    April 30, 2014 at 6:55 am

You’re psycho but, in other news, I really REALLY like that straw… if that counts for anything,
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Happy Official Birthday TAE!

April 30, 2014 at 7:06 am

That’s amazing you’re already halfway through the first trial of your recipes – you go girl! If you need another person to make and test out your recipes, let me know! 🙂

I voted my favourite breakfast food as breakfast grains because I’m eating oatmeal right now… but you honestly can’t go wrong with any breakfast food in my opinion!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Spring chickpea quinoa salad

Kim @ BusyBod
    April 30, 2014 at 7:30 am

So I voted other (probably the only one), not because I’m being deliberately unhelpful but because my favorite breakfast food is anything that can be made quickly! I’m not a cook the night before kind of person (because I turn into a zombie around 5pm), and I’m usually rushing around in the mornings. I will just as happily eat baked goods or pancakes as smoothies as long as they can be ready in just a few minutes. 🙂

Also, if you end up looking for recipe testers or anything, I’m happy to help if you want to see how a kitchen novice handles a few of them!
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Currently craving: Fit gear

April 30, 2014 at 8:08 am

I voted for pancakes even though I’m more likely to eat them for dinner then breakfast. But they can still be a favourite 😉
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: Snacky Sundays.

April 30, 2014 at 8:13 am

So uhm… I think you know where I stand on the favourite breakfast issue considering I eat the same one pretty much every day. But I’m open to all the other options for lunch or dinner 😉
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. WIAW … don’t eat like me .

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    April 30, 2014 at 8:34 am

39 recipes is super impressive! I can never decide what my favorite type of breakfast is. One minute it’s eggs and savory stuff, the next I want smoothies. Good thing you’ll have a lot of variety in your ebook!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…Banana cream smoothie

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    April 30, 2014 at 8:47 am

I would love to see some crazy creative oatmeal recipes; no pressure 😛
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Fear: Let It Go and Be Brave

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    April 30, 2014 at 8:57 am

The last recipe is clearly the bacon peanut butter thing, unless you’ve already factored that in.

🙂
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Packing and Snacking [WIAW #45]

Becky@TheSavedRunner
    April 30, 2014 at 9:02 am

I still think it’s so cool that you are making a recipe book! Breakfast is by far my favorite meal, so I would for sure make a breakfast book too. I voted for breakfast grains, but I also love eggs so I almost voted for that. I also love pancakes so I almost voted for that too. Basically I will be happy with any breakfast recipe. 🙂
    Becky@TheSavedRunner recently posted…How a Trip to the Hospital Changed the Way I Viewed Food

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    April 30, 2014 at 9:41 am

i like where this is going…im more into baked goods 🙂
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…Grocery Budgeting + Tips to Save Money on Groceries

Paige@FitNotFad
    April 30, 2014 at 9:41 am

80 recipes you are an insane woman!!! No but seriously you are crazy and I love it! I can’t wait for this to come out so I can buy it! I voted pancakes/waffles because, well, they’re the shit.
    Paige@FitNotFad recently posted…Vega Bar Review

Em @ Love A Latte
    April 30, 2014 at 9:52 am

I love pancakes/waffles/french toast! Right now I’ve been starting my days with smoothies though 🙂
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…20 Things I’ve Learned During Pregnancy (so far!)

cait @pieceofcait
    April 30, 2014 at 9:56 am

you know me.. a love for breakfast and waffles!!
    cait @pieceofcait recently posted…My first Barre class

Shashi
    April 30, 2014 at 10:07 am

While I am partial to oats – I would love to see more egg recipes. i am a scrambled kind of gal – so a variety of egg recipes is what I desperately crave 🙂
    Shashi recently posted…Healthy Chocolate Scones!

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat
    April 30, 2014 at 10:34 am

I’m an eggs girl. Give me a giant veggie & sausage omelet over waffles any day. If only I had someone to make that for me each morning 😉
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…How Baby Benefits When Mom Exercises During Pregnancy

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    April 30, 2014 at 10:50 am

Seems like you’re on the right track! I go threw phases for breakfast, but my staples are oatmeal, smoothies, and yogurt. 🙂
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Homemade Coconut Milk

Caitlin
    April 30, 2014 at 11:12 am

I like eggs best for breakfast, however, when I look for recipes it’s usually for other things like pancakes/waffles and other baked goods. I’m not as confident in my ability to cook these things. Just something to consider – you may want to also ask which type of breakfast items people tend to rely on recipes for as this answer may differ from their favorite breakfast items 🙂

Brittany
    April 30, 2014 at 11:26 am

I really love being apart of this process with you, it’s so fun!! My theme would DEFINITELY be dessert, no questions. I legit want to make an ecookbook SOSO bad. Maybe someday!
    Brittany recently posted…Chocolate Salted Almond Butter Bites

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    April 30, 2014 at 11:34 am

I’m excited for your ebook! I’m always looking for new breakfast idea. My favorite thing to have for breakfast are eggs!
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…3-Ingredient Miso Tilapia

Laurie
    April 30, 2014 at 11:36 am

I voted for baked goods, but waffles, pancakes was a toss up for my vote. The baked goods won b/c I can make ahead and grab and go. You may say that is a photo fail (phail?), but it looks yummy. And, my vitamix arrives tomorrow. I may have to call in sick on Friday to play. Though, I can’t because my boss and co-worker are out of the office, so someone’s gotta be here. Looking forward to seeing the book!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    April 30, 2014 at 12:37 pm

How about something random like cauliflower quiche or hummus plantain frittata? Obviously I like eggs! I’ve been craving certain a foods lately which for some May seem like strange combinations but to me are completely normals.
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…WIAW & Your Fitness Age?

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    April 30, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Wow! You’ve made so much progress so quickly! I made it a goal this year to write an e-book but then I kind of forgot about it! Oh well. Mine would definitely be fitness-related but I’m not sure how I would narrow it down after that.
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Top Ten Tennis Tips for Beginners

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    April 30, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Doin’ WERK, Davs! I’m giddy with excitement for you.
    My favorite breakfast foods are the carby things like pancakes, French toast, and oatmeal, but maybe some fancy breakfast wrap on fluffy pita bread with herby eggs, some creamy avocado sauce and cheeeeese. Jen @ Peanut Butter Runner always talks about some amazing breakfast pita from a restaurant, and I just crave it whenever she talks about it.
    OR CREPES.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…50 Shades of Fit

Mary Frances
    April 30, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I’m a sweet something for breakfast girl. Cereals, oatmeals, or baked goods … pretty boring and probably not the most healthy, but whatever. You are moving right along with this e book! Keep up the amazing work!
    Mary Frances recently posted…Hands Down The Most Amazing VEGAN Chocolate Pudding

Amanda
    April 30, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Cereal!!!!! 😉
    Amanda recently posted…Oversharing. Again.

April 30, 2014 at 10:03 pm

I can’t wait for your cookbook to be ready – I know it is going to be awesome!
    Kim recently posted…Home is the BEST!!

May 1, 2014 at 3:36 pm

JUST CHOSE GRAINS WHOOOOO.

I use this for nutrition info for my blog… so simple to use: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php
    Cassie recently posted…Should We Stop Photographing Our Food?

May 3, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I feel like you just announced the cook book and already you have this many recipes. You’re killing it. I bet you have it written before the summer is over.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Currently: May 2014