blogging

{Ebook Talk} Theme Reveal!

April 14, 2014

Last week I announced that I plan to write an ecookbook! This is insane for two reasons: 1) I have no idea what I’m doing and 2) I seriously have no idea what I am doing. I’m probably out of my mind for attempting this, but since my motto for this year has been “if not now, when?” I figure I may as well just jump into the ring.

I thought it might be fun to include you guys in the process mostly because I so appreciate your feedback, but also because if things go according to plan (for the record, I have no plan) then I want you to see that you can do it too.

Every once and a while I will put together a short post on how things are going, what tools I am using, helpful resources and give you guys an opportunity to put in your two cents. I hope you find this fun, and if not I can always just sulk in the corner. Have I mentioned that I’m TERRIFIED?! I mean whaaaat, I got this. Fake it till ya make, am I right?!

Today we’re talking theme. I’ve actually discussed several theme ideas with some of my close friends and was going to ask you guys to help me pick, but none of them really felt right. In going through my recipes for my new Recipe Index (have you checked it out yet???) I noticed I have an obscene amount of recipes for a certain category. However, it was only after talking with a certain fit foodie that I finally realized what I should be doing. SO…

the theme isHealthy breakfast food! I’m assuming none of you are shocked by this. I am obsessed with all things pancakes/waffles/oatmeal/granola/eggs etc…and I basically brunch like it’s my job. I love breakfast food and I especially love hosting people for breakfast or brunch. Ain’t no reason why you can’t feed yourself or a room full of guests healthy breakfast food that is also delicious.

I’ve already begun shooting and had a near meltdown over cinnamon rolls this weekend (third time’s a charm!) but despite my anxieties and occasional frustrations, I’ve never been more excited to tackle a mission. Plus I’ll be eating an insane amount of breakfast food over the next few months, so I certainly cannot complain!

cinnamon rollsIn discussing ideas with Lee and and C I’ve run into one major problem. I HATE bacon. I don’t like the taste and the smell is nauseating to me (I know, please don’t judge) but according to them I can’t do a cookbook with breakfast food and not include bacon in some shape or form. So now I am asking YOU, do I need to suck it up and start cooking some bacon or can I pull off a breakfast cookbook sans bacon?

[yop_poll id=”2″]

I hope you guys vote yes…

Stay tuned for more ebook updates or stalk my Instagram where you’ll get a behind the scenes peak at some of the recipes I’m including!

Thoughts on breakfast food? Am I crazy for not liking bacon?

April 14, 2014 at 5:23 am

You know my thoughts on this….mince beef cinnamon scrolls.

This ebook is going to be amazing especially with the front cover….sausage and all. Already practicing the poses.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Catching up- Weekend, blog and all that jazz

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    April 14, 2014 at 5:29 am

Ahhh this is ever so exciting! I cannot wait for the ebook to come out! I don’t care if there’s bacon as long as there are lots of waffles and pancakes. And I hope there’s cheesecake too or else I’M CRYING 😉
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…Salmon Tuna Burgers with Spicy Garlic Lemon Alioli

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
    April 14, 2014 at 5:41 am

Breakfast is the BEST meal of the day! I am so excited, haha! (Bacon…or any meat is disgusting so you are all good with me 😉 haha)
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Power Monday #41 Ten Reasons Why I Love Yoga

Kim @ BusyBod
    April 14, 2014 at 6:41 am

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who said yes it was ok to have no bacon! I realize I’m basically the worst person to ask about this, but bacon is gross. People always ask me how I can be vegetarian because “what about bacon??” Ugh, BARF. I didn’t eat bacon back when I ate meat. Ever. And the smell makes me want to die. Sorry for that rant it’s just so few people can relate! 🙂 Love the idea for the theme and it’s clearly one of your strengths! Plus working in a food area you love will make the entire process more fun I’m sure. Plus, I feel like of all the meals, people get the most stuck in a rut when it comes to breakfast.
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Choose your yoga

jill conyers
    April 14, 2014 at 7:05 am

Not insane at all. The book is going to be great! Love breakfast and definitely without bacon 🙂
    jill conyers recently posted…Week In Review

Miss Polkadot
    April 14, 2014 at 7:22 am

Answering the question in two parts: Yes, perfectly fine. And – second part before you or anybody else rolls their eyes thinking this was an obvious answer coming from a vegetarian – here’s why: it’s YOUR cookbook. So yes, while I understand the neccessity to cater your readers with the content – I’ve had to write enthusiastic articles about things I didn’t care about before, too – you don’t really want to feel -this- close to puking while recipe-testing, no?! Why not have C chime in – which I’m sure he’ll do in anyway – and add notes to those recipe he suggests would benefit from some bacon served up on the side or thrown in??
    Just don’t ever even think about publishing this e-book without a single oatmeal recipe. Because then, yes, I’d totally declare you crazy. Bonus points if it includes oat bran.
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Good good links #34

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    April 14, 2014 at 7:42 am

YESSSS Davs! Breakfast and brunch rule all, and they do NOT need bacon to be absolutely fantastic. I’m so excited for you in starting this journey! Thanks for letting us join you and be a part of it 🙂
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Weekend in Charlottesville

Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN
    April 14, 2014 at 8:05 am

Yes bitch, you’re crazy for not liking bacon. Not even a good quality non-factory bacon? WHAT. Although, I will say that I don’t eat it all the time because I find it really hard to digest! It just sits in my stomach for 4 days being salty and smokey and it makes me feel weird.

An e-cook book? YES! I’m so excited. I knew it was only a matter of time…

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    April 14, 2014 at 8:13 am

I like bacon just fine, but it’s nothing special and I hardly ever eat it. I would have totally chose the same theme you did!! Love the voting!!
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…It’s the Four Ingredient Waffle!

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    April 14, 2014 at 9:18 am

I love breakfast foods! Sweet over savory so of course I will say no bacon. Not to mention, I am a vegetarian and if we want to go into further reasons why you don’t need bacon, let’s throw in that it isn’t quite kosher.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…That Time I Didn’t Finish A Race

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    April 14, 2014 at 9:20 am

Breakfast is the best meal of the day, no matter what time you eat it, so I think that’s a fabulous idea 🙂
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…Mini Mood-Boosting “Caramel” Pecan Pies (GF & Vegan)

kathy@vodka and soda
    April 14, 2014 at 9:20 am

i love breakfast foods; the other day i had scrambled eggs for dinner. i also love bacon but i only eat it once in a while. is it all bacon that you don’t like? or just the fatty strips? because peameal bacon is good and “healthier”; it’s like ham so maybe you can use that instead?
    kathy@vodka and soda recently posted…Picture Practice – Person

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    April 14, 2014 at 9:24 am

yes i am not a bacon person at all either! there are so many breakfast food you can do without bacon and always give people an option to add if they would like. i love the theme already 🙂

Christine@ Apple of My Eye
    April 14, 2014 at 9:45 am

I would love to hear updates on how the book is going! I’m planning on writing one too (but geez, where do I even start?!?) eventually so I can totally sympathize on how overwhelming is must be to get everything put together! LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of an eBook about healthy breakfast options though! So useful and you get to eat delicious breakfast food 24/7 :D.

While I do love me some bacon, I don’t think it’s necessary at all!
    Christine@ Apple of My Eye recently posted…MIMM: Work, Recipes, & Exciting New Purchases!

Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair
    April 14, 2014 at 9:46 am

Ahhh I’m so excited about this theme! Breakfast is my absolute favourite (all day, er’ day). I love me some bacon once in awhile (usually turkey). But I rarely cook with it so I think you’re good to go without it. Also, I’m a pretty big sucker for cinnamon rolls so I can’t wait for that recipe (even though that plate of your failed batch is looking not too shabby).
    Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair recently posted…Half Marathon Training Update: Weeks 2-6

Ashley
    April 14, 2014 at 9:50 am

I’m not a big fan of bacon either…I like it, but it kind of grosses me out with all the grease and fat. That said, so many people LOOOOVE their bacon, so you might wanna throw a couple recipes in there!
    Ashley recently posted…Goji Mango Super Smoothie

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    April 14, 2014 at 9:58 am

Can we be twins? I hate bacon too. And I LOVE cinnamon rolls, heck they were the reason why I ROLLED out of San Diego after 3 months and a daily HUGE cinnamon roll……
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…Sunny – yesterday my heart was filled with rain

Shashi
    April 14, 2014 at 10:20 am

No – you are not crazy for not liking bacon – I am not a huge fan of it either – but I do love me some breakfast foods! What a heck of an awesome theme idea! I think you should find a breakfast dish to include your coconut frosting in too…at least that’s my two cents!
    Shashi recently posted…Mystery Pancakes!

Meghan @fitnesscrEATures
    April 14, 2014 at 10:23 am

I think leaving bacon out makes it more healthy – not by paleo standards but in my standards! 🙂 Awesome theme girl! I am so excited for youuuuu!
    Meghan @fitnesscrEATures recently posted…A Little Less Run, A Lot More Walk

Ksenija @ With An Open Mind
    April 14, 2014 at 10:35 am

Healthy breakfast food is a super cool theme and I am so happy that you are sharing your exciting travels in e-book world! Who knows who of our crazy food-blogger-gang will be next 😉

Regarding the bacon-situation: though I do enjoy some good bacon here and there, I don’t count it among the breakfast essentials and I don’t see why a health-focused breakfast cookbook needs to feature our favorite greasy little sin – who loves it knows how to prepare it. It’s not an art.
    Ksenija @ With An Open Mind recently posted…Open Mind Weekly {14+15/14}

April 14, 2014 at 10:37 am

Yup…you’re a tad bit crazy for that 😉 I’m imagining that C likes bacon…what are his chances of contributing a bacon-ified recipe? 😉
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Almost Wordless Weekend.

cait @pieceofcait
    April 14, 2014 at 10:48 am

so so exciting davs! can’t wait to learn more about this journey!!! I am not the biggest fan of bacon, while yes i have it time to time but i don’t necessarily need it nor do some breakfasts?!

Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon
    April 14, 2014 at 12:03 pm

What about incorporating that vegan bacon (coconut flakes with flavoring)? That might be a fun way around it but still give people the ‘bacon’ option for a specific recipe! I’m imagining a stacked breakfast waffle with a sunny side up egg and coconut bacon and avocado crema. You can credit me with that imagination 😉 xoxo can’t wait follow along in this process! It’s inspiring!
    Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon recently posted…How To: Small Batch Cream Cheese Frosting and Chocolate Cupcake Decorations

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    April 14, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I think you could do some dishes and say something like this would pair well with your favorite sides like bacon or biscuits or something like that. That way you aren’t totally leaving it out but you don’t have to cook with it. To me, bacon is the side show not the main event.

I’m so excited for your ecookbook!!!!
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…New York Botanical Garden Orchid Show

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    April 14, 2014 at 12:06 pm

You ebook will be amazing! I love breakfast but I don’t like bacon, sausage, ham or cheese even. It’s your ebook, you shouldn’t feel like putting things in it you don’t like just to please others.
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Comment on The Things I Do For Fitness by Michael Anderson

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    April 14, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Congrats on doing an e-book, that’s so exciting!!! 😀
    I really don’t know how you can not like bacon, but we’re all different & that’s what makes the world go round, right? Right. Being different is good. I’m excited to see a book full of delicious breakfast food though, yum!!
    Karey @ Nutty About Health recently posted…MIMM: Biggest Supporter

Archana @ The Perfect Zest
    April 14, 2014 at 12:30 pm

breakfast food is the perfect theme for you! And yes please, no bacon (coming from a vegetarian lol)

Hope you make it as funny as your blog posts !!!

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    April 14, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Yay, I love the breakfast theme! No need for bacon, there are sooo many other great ideas out there!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…Bella does Colonial Williamsburg, and other awesome weekend things

Courtney @RunningforCupcakes
    April 14, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Start a revolution and do it without bacon!!! I can’t stand the taste or smell of bacon either, it’s so nasty!
    Courtney @RunningforCupcakes recently posted…MIMM: A Rant and Marvelousness

Lisa
    April 14, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Many of my friends are crazy about bacon, but I don’t get them. Bacon tastes so strong that it overpowers all the other food on the plate. I say stick to your guns (and your tastebuds) about going sans bacon. Besides, think about all the bacon dishes you won’t have to try during the recipe development stage! Love the updates on your book!
    Lisa recently posted…Pumpkin Pie Butter Cups

Tara
    April 14, 2014 at 1:13 pm

YAY!! You know, my biggest feat with eating is grabbing b-fast in the morning. I try to be healthy but it usually is whatever fits in my time crunch. So excited for you and YES bacon is necessary in at least one recipe. 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

So so so proud of you Davida and I can not wait to see the final product.
    Tara recently posted…Vamos Gigantes

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    April 14, 2014 at 1:26 pm

So glad you’re doing a breakfast themed book because I am sooo bad at breakfast. Basically, thanks for catering to my needs. Oh, and I don’t really like bacon either so I vote no bacon!
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Honey Soy Salmon

Nikki @ Quest for Balance
    April 14, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I’m also a huge fan of breakfast food. I never used to eat breakfast because the though of eating in the morning made me sick but once I finally trained my body to eat in the AM it was a full blown love affair with any and all breakfast foods. I’m super excited for your e-book, and you can definitely skip a bacon recipe. Can’t say I’ve ever seen an anti bacon breakfast book so yours could be the first one 🙂 It’s original.

Paige@FitNotFad
    April 14, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Yay so excited to see all of your breakfast foods! At first I was thinking, ehhh maybe you should include a couple of recipes but Davida….this is all you! It’s your book….you do what YOU want to do! I know you have a million and one different recipes, it’s not like it would be one big book of…pancakes…or something (although that sounds wonderful), but there will be plenty of variety without the bacon. You do you, Davs 🙂

April 14, 2014 at 2:02 pm

I think the cookbook is going to be awesome and since it is going to be a compilation of your recipes then it should not have bacon recipes. Plenty of bacon recipes already exist!!
    Kim recently posted…Failing Is Just one Step on the Way to Success

Mary Frances
    April 14, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I love bacon, but this is your cookbook, and you get to choose whether or not there is bacon (though I think the poll within the post is pretty cool – if you are techy enough to pull that off, you’ve totally got this ebook thing!) I cannot wait to hear updates about what you are learning and baking!
    Mary Frances recently posted…How I Moved From Blogger To WordPress Part 3

Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner
    April 14, 2014 at 2:43 pm

YAY! LOVE breakfast! And um – yes…actually not a fan of bacon. And I do love Babe 🙂
    Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner recently posted…Food Prep: Where To Begin

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit
    April 14, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Ohhhh, I love this idea!!! I’m a huge breakfast fan, as well! I can’t wait to see what you come up with. 🙂
    Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit recently posted…Food + Fitness This Week

April 14, 2014 at 5:27 pm

You know I’m on board for a cookbook based entirely on breakfasts foods — it’s my favourite meal of the day and I could easily eat it ALL day. And your new recipe page is looking great, lady. Please start hounding me to start working on mine… Please?
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 4/13 .

April 14, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Your theme is perfect for you! You know what my answer was on the bacon question 😉

One of my favorite professors in college used to say, “Fake it til you feel it” and I constantly think of the phrase. So, even if you feel like you’re totally unorganized with no idea what you’re doing, fake it and act like you know what the hell you’re doing until you actually do know what the hell you’re doing. Got that?!
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Random Weekend Ramblings

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    April 14, 2014 at 7:38 pm

YES! Breakfast is by far the best meal. Plus, it will be soooo helpful for all the breakfast avoiders/haters. You’re going to do AWESOME!
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Virtual Tea Time [17] Cue More Change

April 14, 2014 at 8:08 pm

LOVE the theme you chose! Breakfast foods are seriously the best. Although I am a fan of bacon, I definitely think you can do a breakfast ecookbook without it. I honestly prefer bacon in my lunch/dinner foods anyways… breakfast is all about the sweet foods for me!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…O’Finn’s Irish Temper

Sarah Pie
    April 14, 2014 at 8:13 pm

A cookbook based on breakfast, now I’m truly in love!! I say go for it without the bacon, it’s your book so it should be all about you 🙂
    Sarah Pie recently posted…Yogi Abs

Amanda
    April 14, 2014 at 8:43 pm

GIVE ME ALL THE BREAKFAST GOODIES!

April 14, 2014 at 8:50 pm

You’re f****** nuts for not liking bacon. But I still voted yes because I love you and you can totally do a breakfast e-cookbook without bacon. Also do you watch Girls? “What’s going to happen to my e-book?” I have a bacon life hack though – have you tried baking it?
    Cassie recently posted…Gluten Free & Vegan Chocolate Chip NuttZo Blondies (and a Giveaway!)

April 14, 2014 at 9:46 pm

You know I’m a vegetarian right? And even I say you need bacon in a breakfast world. Honestly if I were to go back to meat, it’d really be for bacon.
    That being said, you write whatever the heck you want. If bacon isn’t your thing, you should probably skip it. Do the foods you love, the way you want and your passion will come through.

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat
    April 14, 2014 at 9:56 pm

I love all-things breakfast! Bacon’s a winner in my book, but I can understand you not liking it. Maybe try using it in small amounts in a few recipes? And so you don’t have to be the taste-tester, you could invite any bacon-loving friends over and try out all your those recipes on them.
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…A Very ‘Us’ {Anniversary} Weekend

Alicia K
    April 14, 2014 at 11:02 pm

This ebook sounds awesome! I love breakfast food! My vote is you don’t need bacon. I like bacon but prefer sausage anyway and as long as you have some pancake and waffle recipes, that’s enough for me. 🙂
    Alicia K recently posted…Spring Cleaning MIMM #6

Kelly @ Femme Fitale
    April 15, 2014 at 8:16 am

This is awesome! I miss your post regarding your plans, so I’m just hearing this now. How brave and amazing of you to tackle an ebook. Such a great choice with the breakfast food. I know if I was to spend an enormous amount of time cooking and preparing food, breakfast would be my choice as well!
    As for bacon, it’s your book! Do what you want! I think as long as you had a few “meat” recipes of some sort, then that’s plenty.
    Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted…Body After Baby: Getting Back In Shape

Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite
    April 15, 2014 at 5:31 pm

So as crazy as I think you are for not liking bacon (only 80% crazy), I think it’s totally possible to do a breakfast themed ebook without it. TOTALLY POSSIBLE. I suspect you already know the answer to this question and you just have to go with your gut. You’ve got this.
    Alisha @ Alisha’s Appetite recently posted…My Natural Face & Skin Care Routine (Raw Honey, ACV & More!)

Chelsea
    April 15, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Since I don’t eat bacon…I am 100% okay with the idea 🙂
    Plus..breakfast is amazing.
    Chelsea recently posted…Lemon Poppy Seed Date Balls [Vegan/Gluten Free]

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food
    April 16, 2014 at 1:09 am

oh how I LOVE bacon!!!! I don’t buy it often thought because I could literally make a whole package and eat it in one sitting and that would not be good 🙂 I guess as long as you have some forms of breakfast meat in the ebook it will be ok!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    April 16, 2014 at 6:01 am

Ok, so coming from someone who LOVES bacon but cannot, I repeat CANNOT cook it without gagging, I say you most definitely can do this sans bacon! Plus, I’m sure those cinnamon rolls will help other bacon lovers to forgive your (minor) breakfast transgression! 😉
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Marvelously MY Way!

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green
    April 17, 2014 at 10:04 am

I’m so behind on all of my blog reading (I guess that is what happens when you go MIA) but I have to come and comment… NO TO BACON!! hahaha can’t wait for this ebook. Can I be a taste tester?
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…8 Ways to Personalize Your Wedding

{Ebook Talk} Nutrition and Portions - The Healthy Maven
    April 23, 2014 at 7:38 am

[…] again for everyone’s feedback on the bacon issue. Looks like most of you think it’s cool if I don’t include it…much to C’s […]

{Ebook Talk} Recipe Breakdown - The Healthy Maven
    April 30, 2014 at 5:01 am

[…] announced I was writing an ecookbook and discussed how I had no clue what I was doing 2. The theme is breakfast food! 3. We talked portions and […]

Paleo Mocha Almond Pancakes {Healthy Mother's Day Brunch} - The Healthy Maven
    May 8, 2014 at 6:35 am

[…] brunch! Just what I need in my life, more breakfast food…Consider this a sneak peak into my ecookbook since this gal ain’t got time for 41 breakfast […]

My Summer 2014 Bucket List - The Healthy Maven