Live

Having a Healthy Mindset

April 28, 2014

My bestie turned 25 the other day. I was thrilled I was able to celebrate with her (she lives in Dublin) but I also had a semi-panic attack at the realization that I too am turning 25 this year. Not only does this mean that I have exactly 4 months to complete my 25 by 25 list (i’m nowhere close), but I am also mid-way through my 20s.

I’ve learned a lot in my almost 5 years as a “twenty-something” and I am certain 5 years from now I’ll look back and think I knew nothing now. Regardless, I wanted to share my thoughts on what I’ve learned and what I hope to experience.

Having a healthy mindsetThe idea of living healthfully did not occur to me until I reached university. At 21 my idea of health was an obscene amount of running and special K bars. Thankfully that was a relatively short phase and eventually I figured out Fructose Polydextrose (an actual ingredient in special K bars) is by no means healthy.

Then I moved onto the “omg where is my food coming from?” phase. I admit to getting a bit obsessive over whether my food was organic, locally grown, grass-fed yada yada yada…and it sucked. It also made eating out a total nightmare and for a foodie this was incredibly sad.

Ironically, it took seeing other people behave in such a manner to snap me out of this extreme mentality. Seeing the recipe substitutions, refusal to eat out and annoyingly neurotic tendencies of my fellow “health-freaks” made me realize that this was everything I didn’t want to be.

I am only going to be in my 20s once. I am in a unique position where I finally have enough education and experience to make relatively smart decisions but have little to lose if I don’t. Health is important to me, I want to live a long and healthy life, but not at the expense of my present.

balanced-diet_o_860436

I think an often ignored facet of healthy living is the idea of having a healthy mindset. Sure, you can make “eating clean” and working out your #1 priority, but I promise you will find yourself isolated from your friends and family and wondering why you spend so much time planning for a life you aren’t even living.

I want to respect everyone’s life choices, I really do, but when you insist we eat at your house instead of going out because you want to “know what’s in your food”, cancel plans with me for your “long run” or turn down a glass of wine because you don’t want the calories, I can’t help but judge.

I make smart, healthful choices most of the time. I keep clean and fresh ingredients in the house although I may or may not have eaten nachos two days in a row. I get a little too drunk and finish the night with poutine, I genuinely love kale salads and if my iced tea comes sweetened, I drink it anyway.

Being “healthy” is more than just eating the right foods and exercising. It’s about being open-minded, flexible and doing what you can, not trying to do it all.

I’m not saying my way of living is better than yours, the hangover I had on Friday is a clear indication of that! BUT be weary of that fine line when your healthy choices are starting to stress you out and are consuming your thoughts more than they probably should. Stress is after all is the #1 predictor of future health problems…

So kick back, drink a beer (or eat some ice cream!), enjoy good company and remember that you can always eat your veggies and workout tomorrow.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHow do you define having a healthy mindset? Thoughts?

April 28, 2014 at 5:21 am

Can I claim post writing motivation for this from this morning 😉

I think, scrap that, I KNOW this post will resonate with so many. Similar to you, it is through seeing others behave in such a mindset which made me realise what a healthy mindset truly is.

PS that picture looks familiar. Someone always eats sprinkles on their ice cream. Oh snap.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Being a tourist in my home town

Caitlyn@BareBalance
    April 28, 2014 at 5:49 am

This is a lovely post 🙂 And so very true. I think we all get so easily caught up with doing what we think is ‘healthy’ rather than honoring our bodies.

I won’t lie, I do do some of the thing you listed above, but it more has to do with a physical feeling I get after eating out – I can’t eat onions, olive, garlic and some gluten products without getting ill and they tend to be common ingredients in a lot of recipes to enhance flavor and I am a vegetarian and have been for several years, even prior to seeing it as a ‘ideally healthy diet’… I just really like chickens and cows – but I always super embarrassed when I ask them to remove X, Y or Z.

The odd thing for me is, I never really “want” the unhealthy, ‘good for your mind’ foods. I know a lot of people who say I can’t eat that, or I can’t do that and I have 100% been there. But now, if I want some cake, I’ll eat it and if I want a piece of a cookie, I’ll have it. But 95% of the time, I don’t crave it. I crave cereal and greek yogurt and anything involing peanut butter – which disappears from the house a lot. haha.

I think the important thing in health, is just 100% to honor your body (mind included).
    Caitlyn@BareBalance recently posted…04.262014… going up the down elevator: yoga clothes and recovery.

Becky @ Olives n Wine
    April 28, 2014 at 5:51 am

I’m sorry, Davida, I have to cancel our Saturday morning plans from now until October because I have long runs scheduled 😉 Blame the marathon. Thankfully I know this and won’t be making plans late Friday nights/early Saturday mornings because of it! I wholeheartedly agree with your post. While it’s important to eat well, you also have to have a balanced mindset. It drives me crazy to hang out with people who refuse to eat “x” food because it might be bad for them.
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Nachos, fondue, body pump and other weekend fun!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
    April 28, 2014 at 6:22 am

Girl, I needed this. I haven’t been in a totally healthy mindset for years, and I am finally realizing that I am wasting my twenties (i’m a year behind ya!) I am terrified to go out for dinner with my hubby because I don’t know calorie – and it makes recipe development so stressful because it needs to fit in my calorie “box” for the day. Thank you so much for this I want the healthy mindset you have!

Miss Polkadot
    April 28, 2014 at 6:50 am

All of this is so so true and proves once more you’re wise beyond your years. And that you have ingrained the ‘sharing is caring’ motto by letting all of us benefit from your wisdom. Thanks for that!
    Even though I wouldn’t consider my mindset 100 % healthy at all times I feel I’ve come a way and – like you – it wasn’t as smack-in-the-face noticable to me until I saw others use the same behaviours. And realizing I didn’t want to live my life like that. Yes, I’m still a work on progress but I still have some time until my 25th – actually even my 24th before – birthday so seeing how this boded out for you I figure there’s still hope?!
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Frozen! [Healthy PB & J Frozen Yogurt]

Lauren
    April 28, 2014 at 7:00 am

Davida, this post resonates with me SO much! I too went from special k loving diet freak to organic only, can’t eat anything but and worrying about it so much. I have finally come to realise that it is a balance and about nourishing the body, mind and soullll. Sure I eat clean and healthy most of the time but I am not going to turn down a date eating burritos and margaritas because the meat isn’t organic, grass fed and had kumbaya sung to it. Worrying is just as harmful to the health! I turned 24 recently and I am with you in that we don’t want to spend our twenties avoiding everything so we can be perfectly health – that is ridiculous – we are here to live!!
    Lauren recently posted…Blogger Meet Up and Ridiculously Easy Smoothie

April 28, 2014 at 7:03 am

What? There are people in our little community who can take clean eating too far? That’s ridiculous. 😉 it’s funny to me just how far removed the HLB community is from say the diet for most Americans and perhaps Canadians too? It’s like their polar opposites, and I always get stuck trying to figure out which audience to write for. Lovely post.
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Week In Review: The I’m Not Ready Edition

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    April 28, 2014 at 7:21 am

Bah I just commented and it got deleted!

I have the exact same view as you- sometimes you need to eat those desserts and treats and just enjoy life! I am so much happier and less stressed than I was before I obsessed about every sip and bite that went in me. Must be the clarity that comes with mid 20s 😉

And don’t worry, I’m almost 26 (so old!). 25 is nothing!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…tempeh portobello sloppy joes

April 28, 2014 at 7:43 am

YES! I totally agree here. I used to think that in order to be healthy I had to eat healthily 100% of the time – which meant I was a major inconvenience to friends, family, and the world around me because I always had to dictate which restaurants we went to, make so many substitutions that I’m sure the kitchen staff spat in my meals, make only healthy contributions to family holiday dinners, etc.

But my idea of healthy has changed so much since then and I’m totally laid back about things now because healthy eating is no longer the centre of my universe.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…How to choose a healthy granola bar

April 28, 2014 at 8:11 am

THIS. You’ve basically summed up all my thoughts on healthy living. It’s all well and good to prioritize health and wanting to live a long life, but if you’re achieving that at the expense of your social life or other facets of happiness…what’s the point? It honestly makes me sad to go back and think about my life when i was in undergrad…I never went out for fear of having to drink or eat ‘unsafe’ food, I would cancel plans if they interfered with my workouts….it was not a way to live, and I honestly think that I wasted that time period in my life (well, the social part of it…I suppose the education was a good idea) because I was so consumed with my body and what I was eating. I love and respect your approach to health so much, because I 100% agree that really living life is so much better than obsessing over every workout and every morsel of food we eat.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Shrimp Jambalaya.

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    April 28, 2014 at 8:12 am

Oh you’re making brownies? EEesssh I’m going to have to pass…. unless they’re GF, vegan, sugar free, and flavorless. kiddingggggg this post is my life so thank you for this. I wish more people knew what the word “balance” actually means. It makes me sad actually but to each their own I suppose. I will gladly take my power walks and beer and circuit workouts and cookies with a side of veggies please and thank you.
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Ooey Gooey Avocado Cookies

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    April 28, 2014 at 8:26 am

This post makes me happy. I love that you embrace the idea of being balanced and just going with the flow. Life is waaay too short to worry about having the “perfect” diet or lifestyle. I like to think I have a healthy approach to most things, but I definitely had my time in my early 20s where I ate 100-calorie packs and would feel guilty about having a “bad” meal.

I’m personally enjoying my late 20s way more than my early 20s. I’ve learned in the past several years how to slow down and enjoy life without worrying so much about doing everything and trying to be perfect at it. It’s an awesome phase of life to be in, so don’t stress about it!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…Weekend recap: girls days are the best days

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    April 28, 2014 at 8:46 am

Gah! I love the pic of you with the Sprinkle Ice Cream. I love you even more now.

Girl, I turn 36 in exactly 11 days. I am MORE than half way through my thirties. Taste that!!
    Anyway, I absolutely love your attitude and I can say from above my age-throne that you are wonderfully wise and smart and amazing. Cause I definitely wasn’t even close to your mindset when I was your age. Keep it up Hunn, you’re fab.

PS. I want to get drunk with you asap. I had a hangover yesterday, but I am single, so I need to go out and party.

Jess @ dearhealthyness
    April 28, 2014 at 8:50 am

The special K mentality? I ate special K like it was no one business! I thought I ate healthy too… then I knew about Monsanto… GMO’s, round-up!! i could go on and on, and I could go crazy… Even when I’m concerned with what I eat, that doesn’t stop me from eating out with friends, or skipping a workout for a night out with my boy (forget that it was yesterday :P) I know that part of a healthy lifestyle is having a life, sharing moments with friends and family, and basically not stressing over everything. Even when you really try, you can’t control all!! Love this 😛
    Jess @ dearhealthyness recently posted…Wait… What do you eat?

Tiff
    April 28, 2014 at 9:00 am

Yes! Big high-five to you. Since we’re on the same page, let’s go for a run and grab a beer sometime. (Beer happens to be a good recovery drink, as if I needed an excuse for one.) 😉
    Tiff recently posted…Butternut Squash n’ Mac

Kat
    April 28, 2014 at 9:12 am

This is a really great post girl. For some long “healthy” to me was avoiding anything “bad” for me. No cookies, ice cream, fried foods, foods without nutritional content, ect ect ect. I would actually get mad at my husband when he would drag me out for ice cream. He’d sit there and be eating ice cream with his friends and I would just sit there twiddling my thumbs like an idiout hating these people with me who were scarfing down ice cream. How depressing is it that I was actually mad at my husband for eating ice cream???
    Then I did the whole Slimfast, Special K, only organic, low fat, low carb thing, thinking THAT was healthy. Man oh man am I glad THOSE days are over!! Now I eat for my body. I eat to fuel it, to nourish it, and sometimes, even to reward it. A healthy mindset to me is when I’m just happy, regardless of what food I’m eating.
    Kat recently posted…Monday [Fun] Day

April 28, 2014 at 9:26 am

Well. 25 really doesn’t feel any different, so sorry to disappoint on that one. I can say that I think I’ve learned more in the past five years, about myself and about my views on life, than I did in the previous 20 combined. Maybe I will feel the same about the next five (although I kind of hope not, because the past five were good, but really hard).

I could (and sometimes do) devote a whole blog to the fact that healthy living is not being restrictive, counting your calories, refusing to eat anything, and doing so many things that I see each day.
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…The Elephant in the Room

Mary Frances
    April 28, 2014 at 9:40 am

You nailed it – when people start making you rearrange your scedule to fit their exercise and diet needs, then we’ve got a problem. I know people like that and it pushes me away from them. I know for me, I am most convicted to change when I someone annoys me and I realize I do the same thing. That is very motivating! I am glad for health bloggers like you who make eating healthy actually doable and actually good for me (Special K purists, take that) Loved this post Davida!
    And our months to go, huh? I can’t wait to hear what you get done in that time!
    Mary Frances recently posted…Healthy Muddy Buddies Granola (gluten free, dairy free)

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat
    April 28, 2014 at 9:45 am

So well-put! We all need a cookie every now and then; life’s too short! It took me many years, filled with disordered eating, overexercising, and absolute mania to come to this realization. I can’t tell you how many friends and family I ostracized during this time (who graciously took me back in). Thankfully, I’m in a much better place today and actually able to enjoy life. What’s the point in being ‘healthy’ if you can’t do that?!?
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…Motivation Monday: Healthy Make-Ahead Breakfasts Made Easy

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    April 28, 2014 at 10:02 am

im with you sister..i went through all those phase and now im thankfully on the same page as you 🙂
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…He Is Not Dead

Pip {Cherries & Chisme}
    April 28, 2014 at 10:02 am

Well said! I think it is becoming a bit of a familiar pattern among those in the healthy living world of going from chemical foods, whole food obsessions and then finally a happy medium… It’s something I know I’ve gone through and do still struggle with occasionally but I keep telling myself it’s all about the balance. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this – it’s very reassuring!

After all, when I’m 90 (hoping I’ll make it that far..!) am I going to remember how slim and toned I was in my 20s or the amazing times I had with my friends baking drunken cookies at midnight and playing cards against humanity for several hours?! (May or may not have been my Saturday night!)
    Pip {Cherries & Chisme} recently posted…{MIMM} A day at the polo

Paula
    April 28, 2014 at 10:23 am

GIRL. I love this. And props to you for figuring it out while you’ve still got many many years to appreciate the beauty of a balanced lifestyle. As the adage goes, you can live to be 100 if you give up everything that would make you want to live that long.

Khushboo
    April 28, 2014 at 10:28 am

Yes yes and yes! Leading a healthy lifestyle is so much more than the food we eat and the workouts we complete. I personally believe that having a healthy mindset is about being at peace with yourself and choices- and accepting that some days you will eat your veggies and other days you will your cake. Some days you will work out and others it’s not going to happen. It’s about looking at the big picture rather than sweating about the small stuff constantly.
    Khushboo recently posted…Losing the labels

cait @pieceofcait
    April 28, 2014 at 10:29 am

exactttttlyyyy!! life is short, eat the food, mingle with friends & drink good wine. Tomorrow is always a new day, and a new day to start with a big bowl of oatmeal and some greens 🙂
    cait @pieceofcait recently posted…All work + Girls Gone Sporty

Anna
    April 28, 2014 at 11:08 am

Completely agree with you! It’s all about balance. Eating clean is super important to me, and I try to do it as often as possible. However, a drink with good company, dessert every once in a while (ie. the entire weekend), and trying new foods even though they aren’t the healthiest is also important for our mental health and happiness, and physical health is directly related to mental health soooo…. I’m gonna go eat some chocolate.
    Anna recently posted…Thinking Out Loud {4/24/14}

Kim @ BusyBod
    April 28, 2014 at 11:10 am

This is why you are my favorite. I feel like I am in a recurring battle between living exactly the way you just described (and loving it) and panicking about the fact that I am living that way. I guess lately I’ve just felt like it’s hard to know where that line is, the one you walk to keep from being too extreme in either direction. When I freak out and think I should cut out a, b, or c, or do x, y, or z, I can see myself trending toward that person you described (who I do NOT want to be either). Then when I eat cookies every day for a week. I tell myself that’s balanced, but then I worry that I’m using “balance” and “good for the soul” as an excuse for unhealthy choices. But I think you’re right, what is healthy anyway? By any objective, medically-based health measure, I’m extremely healthy. That tells me that my fears about “unhealthy” are really bigger issues that have nothing to do with health. If I’m physically healthy and making choices that keep me mentally and emotionally happy and healthy, that’s all that should matter, no matter how much ice cream I’m eating. I could ramble on and on because this post really has me thinking, but I just wanted to thank you once again for being such a rationale and stabilizing force in the blog world.
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…It’s the final countdown {weekly plan}

Brittany
    April 28, 2014 at 11:18 am

I make sure not to make plans if I have a training run I want to complete, this is not an everyday thing, but one month here and there of preoccupied Sundays is something I am OK with. It’s all about where priorities are. I don’t like the flavor of alcohol, but put a cupcake in front of me and you better believe I will face plant that shit without a second thought!! That is where I want my calories, not from a beverage I don’t enjoy the taste of! Every one is different, and as long as you’re still indulging in your own way I say go with it! 25 is a bit crazy, I’ve been 25 for almost 3 months and try not to think about it at times hahaha. It’s actually not bad. No different than 24 :).

WHERE CAN I find an ice cream truck like this!?! That serves vegan ice cream. I must start my own!
    Brittany recently posted…Chocolate Salted Almond Butter Bites

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    April 28, 2014 at 11:28 am

Fructose polydextrose….my fave! Nomnom. Oy vey….if I had a dime for all the times people asked me if Special K protein bars were healthy, I’d be a VERY wealthy woman. You know I agree wholeheartedly with this post. That’s why I face-planted into truffle mac and cheese after work. White pasta. Cheese. Buttah. BRING IT ON.
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…Tropical Brown Rice & Quinoa Breakfast Porridge

Em @ Love A Latte
    April 28, 2014 at 11:42 am

25 – that was a very good year! Haha I sound old saying that, I’m only 27 🙂 For me, a healthy mindset means being open to all life has to offer. It’s not always going to be easy and definitely not perfect, but I try to embrace each day and be grateful for it. Embracing a plant-based diet also contributes hugely to that in my life. Great post!
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…My Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake

Laurie
    April 28, 2014 at 11:44 am

Great post. Something I have struggled with since I was your age. It’s such a challenge. And, because you know i always have a story…. I love misty softee. There was a truck that would stop on my walk home from elementary and high school (middle school was a different route). The proprietor was a grey haired man who I assumed was mister softee. Well, flash forward to my grad school years living on the upper west side of NYC where mr. Softee trucks were placed every 10 blocks or so. I was crushed to realize that it was a “chain”/franchise. Sigh.

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    April 28, 2014 at 11:51 am

I definitely try to eat healthy most of the time. But I definitely think that sometimes life is just not worth living if you are going to obsess over every morsel you put in your mouth. Food is meant to be enjoyed and it is a way to bond with family and friends. I’m totally ok with not being the healthiest person in the room or the skinniest or whatever accolade you get by watching everything that goes into your mouth. I figure as long as I make it a priority most of the time, I’m doing ok.
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Breakfast on the Run

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    April 28, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I must admit I am a picky eater. I love going out, but I am particular about the type of food I eat. I’ve gotten to the point where if I know I’m going somewhere I’m not going to like. I just eat at home or I suggest another option to my friends. I have a good 10 years on you and I’ve discovered that life is to short to eat somewhere that you don’t enjoy. Having said that, I do allow myself to splurge occasionally on pizza and ice cream. The point of going out is to be with my friends and having an enjoyable time. It’s not about the food.
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Choosing Your Next Race

Parita @ myinnershakti
    April 28, 2014 at 1:36 pm

I wish I had your healthy mindset at 25! But at least I’m finally there at 30! Like you, I think life is too short to give up on the fun stuff, especially when it takes away from time with friends and family. Healthy is not just about the time we spend at the gym or what we eat, it’s about nourishing the mind and the soul as well. And let me tell you, wine is good for my soul…as is chocolate!
    Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted…Last Week’s Notable Meals

Shashi
    April 28, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Great post Davida- healthy is so much more than the food and drink I put in my body. My moto is all things in moderation {ooh except chocolate 😉 }
    Shashi recently posted…Healthy Chocolate Scones!

Erin
    April 28, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I had just come to this conclusion last night. Thanks for the reminder!

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    April 28, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I cook pretty healthy meals at home but I don’t turn down social events just because I’m paranoid about what’s in my food. I believe in living a little and having cheat days every now and then. Just don’t overdo it! It’s really all about balance!
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…Cambodian Sour Chicken Soup

Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair
    April 28, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I’m sorry but life is just not complete without chips, popcorn, croissants, cookies, chocolate chip muffins from Tim Hortons, doughnuts from Glory Hole, poutine, nachos, fried chicken… this list could go on and on. Not a day goes by when I don’t treat myself to something delicious. But I like you, LOVE kale salad. I also love bananas, apples, carrots, etc. It’s all about balance. If I eat 3 cookies, I’ll make sure I toss some extra spinach in my smoothie and will do something active. Life is WAY too short to not enjoy it. Eat what you want in moderation, be active, and eat your fruits and veggies. You’ll be gold!
    Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair recently posted…Giveaway + Review: Kewaza Energy Balls

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    April 28, 2014 at 3:41 pm

A healthy mindset is something I thought I had years ago but really I am discovering that this is still developing for me. As of late, I’ve been really okay with going out to dinner and not worrying about the calories or having an extra glass of wine. I’m working out but I don’t feel stressed if I don’t get to the gym. And yeah, I’ve gained a few unwanted pounds recently but I know that balance (aka not college drinking) will get me back to my norm. If you had talked to me about a healthy mindset two years ago, I would have told you that Special K was super good for you and you had to run like an hour and a half every day always and only eat salads at the dining hall to counteract drinking. Not so much now.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Slow Day, Good Eats [WIAW #44]

Bex
    April 28, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for reminding me about my 25 before 25 list! I had completely forgotten and I’m not certain I’ve done a single thing on it!

Amen to healthy mindsets though. There’s honestly only so much kale can do to a person.
    Bex recently posted…A Weekend Re-Cap. Nature, Nurture, and a Sandwich that almost delivered.

April 28, 2014 at 4:32 pm

#thisiswhyiloveyou #whyamiabusinghashtags

That meme is TO DIE FOR. So cute. Definitely agree. Sometimes you need/want 3 mimosas with brunch and a day on the couch and then the next day a long hike and a kale salad is in order. I love healthy food but I also love wine and ice cream. xoxoxo
    Cassie recently posted…Vegan and Gluten Free Butternut Squash Baked Mac n’ Cheese

Allison @ Clean Wellness
    April 28, 2014 at 5:46 pm

I totally agree! Having a healthy mindset is about understanding balance. I’m a vegan and my sister has celiac disease. We still go out to eat or go to other people’s homes to eat -we just eat what we know is okay for us. Being so strict with your diet, without any wiggle room is impossible and gives me anxiety! The more flexible I am, the healthier I feel. I choose to eat the way I do for a variety of reasons and the lifestyle I lead has to include socialization/eating out!

Great post! And adorable photo!
    Allison @ Clean Wellness recently posted…Vegan Salad Niçoise with Kalamata Dill Dressing

Amanda
    April 28, 2014 at 6:10 pm

I agree with your healthy mindset but I hate you for being 24 and making me feel like an old bag of balls.
    Amanda recently posted…“I’mma back!”

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    April 28, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Aaaaamen. I used to be so consumed in counting calories, planning workouts, and what I should eat next, thinking life would be dandy and perfect. But then I realized that I was going to bed and waking up thinking about “being healthy,” and ignoring the fact that I wasn’t LIVING.
    I’m happy to say that that phase is over and done with, because summer is coming, and I want a vanilla cone with sprinkles just like yours.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Fantastic Fats

April 28, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Oh the things I would go back and tell my younger “health” obsessed self. All those things you mentioned? Definitely guilty of them. And in ridiculous excess too. The funniest thing is that the healthier I tried to be, the unhealthier I became. It wasn’t until I eased up on the rules and started having a little fun that I started to feel truly healthy. Stress does just as much, if not more, harm to us than “unhealthy” foods, and I feel like constantly stressing about our diets and exercise routines are doing a lot more harm than good.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. monthly favourites – april 2014 .

Calista
    April 28, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for this! Up until about a month ago, I was in a very similar mindset, where I wouldn’t go out with friends or eat over at a friend’s house because I just KNEW I’d be over my allotted calorie amount for the day if I did. I was a crusty curmudgeon and I wasn’t happy.

I decided to get my head screwed on straight, stop counting the calories in everything I ate or drank, and start to live. I only get one life and I might as well give it hell!
    Calista recently posted…Bikram Yoga + Weekend Recap

Angela
    April 28, 2014 at 9:08 pm

OMG thank you so much for writing this post, I was almost about to have a breakdown because I was sick and tired of being stressed out over the conflicting messages o what we should eat for maximum health being thrown at us every where we turn! I need to definitely remember that STRESS is the ONE thing that is UNIVERSALLY agreed on as being bad for you, lol.

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    April 28, 2014 at 9:13 pm

So well said. ‘Healthy’ is such a loaded term; it means so many different things to every person.
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Virtual Tea Time [19]

Deryn @ Running on Real Food
    April 28, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Yes, yes and yes! And that’s why I shared this on The Little Honey Bee today: http://bit.ly/1h8bdoc 🙂 Thanks for another lovely post, Davida! You’re lucky that at 25 you’ve found that healthy mindset you can maintain for life!
    Deryn @ Running on Real Food recently posted…Edamame Hummus

Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN
    April 28, 2014 at 9:33 pm

You’re amazing. I went through a similar experience, and then one day I snapped out of it. I see so many young (REALLY YOUNG) women trying to “live” the healthy lifestyle via Instagram and I want to shake them. It makes me so sad that some peoples existence is solely centred on boring, gross food (egg whites) & working out.
    Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN recently posted…It’s A Strange Time.

April 28, 2014 at 9:51 pm

First, I have to say that in 5 months I will be turning 45 – crazy that I’m 20 years older than you – I sometimes still feel like I’m in my 20s!!!
    A healthy mindset to me is just trying to be the best form of myself that I can be!!! I don’t believe in giving up things completely because that has never worked for me.
    Kim recently posted…Driving and Running, Business and Sleeping, Babies and Blogging

April 28, 2014 at 9:59 pm

Well said lady! I totally agree. Healthy living has to be about balance. If you can master living healthily and having fun without being neurotic, you’re golden 🙂

hayley @healthyregards
    April 29, 2014 at 10:10 am

I love this! I think having a mindset is often way harder than eating healthy! Eating healthy is just self-control …. a healthy mindset takes work, self love and being ok with not being perfect.
    hayley @healthyregards recently posted…Music To Make You Move

Meghan @fitnesscrEATures
    April 29, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Well now this is very thought provoking. Cancel all my sarcasm and pretend I’m talking real talk. I totally agree. I respect people’s choices, but overall, in the big picture, I’d rather eat out with my friends than suffocate myself in my house where I buy my locally grown, organic food. I absolutely agree, that is the opposite of health. That’s an obsession. Yes, we should all be conscious of what we’re putting in our bodies, hello, some of that stuff is terrible. BUT, just like one healthy meal won’t make you skinny, one fatty, ingredients unknown meal won’t make you fat/sick. 🙂
    Meghan @fitnesscrEATures recently posted…Nashville Country Music Marathon and BYEEE! 🙂

Emily
    April 29, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I too have been through my phase of “healthiest bitch”, where I refused to eat anything I didn’t procure and cook myself, and I gave up all “junk food” (and a lot of social events) on my quest to be the healthiest I could be. It was tiresome and annoying for me and everyone around me. But looking back I see it as a necessary step on my journey, learning more about me and where my limits are. I did find a lot about what foods do affect and trigger me in adverse ways, and also I know what I can live without and what I need for pure happiness if nothing else (um, chocolate. What else is there?). I think it’s a part of learning what works best for us, we have to balance out the extremes and try different stuff to find our happy place, wherever that is.
    Emily recently posted…Easter Festivus

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food
    May 1, 2014 at 4:05 am

This is a great post!!! I 100% agree with you! I like to live 80/20… 80% healthy 20% indulge! Life isn’t worth living if you don’t indulge a little! I want that glass of wine or to try a new beer… and I love fried food… and going out with friends! It’s important to enjoy life. I would never want to be that friend that can’t go out or do something because it isn’t 100% healthy.
    We only live once right!?!?!
    Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…Veggie Packed Egg Muffins

Luv What You Do
    May 1, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Oh you are 25 years young! You have so many amazing years and adventures ahead of you!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…#ThrowbackThursday #GrandpaAl

Best of April 2014 - The Healthy Maven
    May 2, 2014 at 5:02 am

[…] Bars-gf, vegan 3. Roasted Cauliflower & Chickpeas w/ Tahini & Za’atar-gf, vegan 4. Having a Healthy Mindset 5. You CAN do it + An […]

Fun Friday Five! | A Fettle Fine Thyme
    May 2, 2014 at 8:46 am

[…] This post from The Healthy Maven. She echoes my thoughts with the quote below, because I’ve chosen isolation […]

Fascinating Friday Links #34 | Daily Moves and Grooves
    May 2, 2014 at 6:42 pm

[…] mind is a part of your being too] Having a Healthy Mindset via The Healthy […]

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    May 3, 2014 at 6:01 am

Somehow I don’t think I commented on this post? Right? Anyway, totally agree. I am a super clean eater yet at the same time, tell me where to meet you on any given day for a fab restaurant and/or great dessert and I am there. One must enjoy themselves and restricting/controlling your every bite will only make you miserable, isolated and really, kinda unfriendly. I can find something to eat anywhere and really, life needs a basket of onion rings and a slice of fudge cake to thrive. Just saying. As for my running, it never really interferes with anyone since I run early but the people special to me respect it and let me get my long run in; however, I can switch the day/make adjustments should I need to be somewhere – like vacation – book me a trip and I am totally flexible! lol
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…LI Half Marathon Weekend and Popping Popcorn

credit sans justificatif
    May 3, 2014 at 10:55 am

Je me connecte assez fréquemment sur ce site, c’est a chaque fois
    un réel plaisir de te lire.
    credit sans justificatif recently posted…credit sans justificatif

Good good links #37 | Let's get living
    May 3, 2014 at 7:01 pm

[…] Having a Healthy Mindset via The Healthy Maven […]

Sarah Pie
    May 3, 2014 at 10:14 pm

You write this whole beautiful post and all I can think is “glad there’s someone else out there who appreciates sprinkles on their ice cream”.

As always I love your fantastic attitude about living life for enjoyment and not just to workout/eat/judge. I also love your willingness to admit to netflix induced insomnia.
    Sarah Pie recently posted…Spill it Sunday: The Netflix Duckface Brother Edition

Kayla @ Blondes Have More Run
    May 5, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I really enjoyed reading this. I think I needed to read something like this after my experiences lately. It compliments my most recent post perfectly! Thank you for sharing these words of wisdom 🙂
    Kayla @ Blondes Have More Run recently posted…Cinco De Mayo Weekend Recap

Warframe Platinum Hack
    May 6, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Excellent, what a web site it is! This webpage provides valuable information to us, keep it up.

My blog post – Warframe Platinum Hack
    Warframe Platinum Hack recently posted…Warframe Platinum Hack

Best of July 2014 - The Healthy Maven
    August 1, 2014 at 5:14 am

[…] A lot of you seemed to connect with my post on Wednesday on The Secret To Skinny. I wanted to remind everyone who is struggling with their weight or feels uncomfortable in their skin that health is not always about how you look. Our minds play a more important role than we realize so don’t forget to nourish your soul along with your body and fight to have and keep a healthy mindset. […]