cookies gluten-free paleo raw snacks vegan

Raw Vanilla Macaroons

April 6, 2014

The normal thing to do would be to talk about Passover and how macaroons are my favourite Passover food to eat. By favourite I actually mean only, because Kosher for Passover food tastes like cardboard.

But we’ve already established that I am not normal and I’ve spent wayyyyy too long agonizing over the fonts for these pictures that I’m starting to think I may be delirious too.

No, instead we’re going to talk about how today is the greatest day of the year.

Raw Vanilla Macaroons // thehealthymaven.comSunday April 6th? The greatest day of the year? Yes, my friends. Today is the day that WINTER IS COMING. For those of you who got this reference, we are clearly soulmates. For those of you who didn’t, please stop reading this post, order HBO immediately and then attempt to watch 3 seasons of Game of Thrones before the 4th season premiere tonight. You can blame your lack of productivity entirely on me because I know secretly you will love me for discovering your reason for existence.

Despite the fact that I still have PTSD from “The Red Wedding” episode (don’t worry, I won’t give it away!) I am having a very hard time controlling my excitement. I think I’ve watched the 15 minute trailer at least 10 times and this clip like 50 times. I’ve also definitely googled “are dragons real, and how can I get one?”.

Raw Vanilla Macaroons // thehealthymaven.comI think it’s important that I mention that watching a show like Game of Thrones is completely out of character for me. I’ve never seen a Harry Potter movie, any of the Star Wars Trilogy or even Pirates of the Caribbean. My friends joke that I have no imagination and I hate to admit that they might be right. BUT for some crazy reason I have found myself completely obsessed with this show. I’m 90% certain this has something to do with the hot, muscly men and the bad-ass queen with dragons. It really doesn’t matter why though. The most important thing is to make sure you do not try to contact me between the hours of 10:00-11:00 PM tonight. I will officially be out of commission.

p.s. Passover starts in a week tomorrow so make these Raw Vanilla Macaroons. They are as hot as Jon Snow.

Raw Vanilla Macaroons

Cook Time 10 mins
Serves 10 macaroons     adjust servings

• 1 cup pitted dates
  • 2 cups unsweetened coconut (reserve 1/2 cup for rolling)
  • 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
  • 1 vanilla bean (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt

1. Add 1 1/2 cups of coconut to a food processor and process until broken down into fine pieces.
  2. Add in dates and ground flaxseed and process until it comes together in a ball.
  3. Break up ball with hands and add in vanilla bean (or extract) and sea salt and process until it comes together in a ball again.
  4. Divide "batter" into 10 balls and form into cone-shape.
  5. Roll in remaining 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut.
  6. Store in refrigerator for up to one month.

Featured on: Allergy-Free Wednesdays

Raw Vanilla Macaroons // thehealthymaven.comAre you a Game of Thrones fan? Do you watch a lot of TV? I’m addicted!

April 6, 2014 at 5:33 am

Seeing as I haven’t watched GOT yet (pretty sure a certain someone coerced me to watch a something else…..shhh), I’ll just pretend I know what your talking about.

I can’t believe when we spoke you didn’t mention macaroons had an association with passover. Fail. In other news, I need to photograph the Kosher section at the supermarket next weekend. There were two items which made me lol like an idiot.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Spill it, Sundays #19- The Sweet AND Savoury edition!

Kumar's Kitchen
    April 6, 2014 at 6:03 am

this is such a delicious treat to make…we have almost all the required ingredients for making them…sure going to try them out today,thanks so much for sharing 🙂
    Kumar’s Kitchen recently posted…Sweet & Ambrosial Rice Kheer

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    April 6, 2014 at 6:20 am

I watch Kardashian religiously, does that count? lol….I love chocolate covered chocolate chip macaroons -highlight of the Passover season.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Lunch At Koi and Grocery Store Must-Haves For This Week

April 6, 2014 at 7:23 am

Don’t even get me started on picture fonts. I’m having a crisis with them myself, and need to bug you about it later. But no worries… I won’t do it between 10 and 11 😉
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. currently – april 2014 .

April 6, 2014 at 8:31 am

Confession: I’ve read the books, so during the red wedding episode I immediately took to twitter to watch everybody in the world freak the eff out. We’ve still gotta watch the last two episodes of season 3 today! It’ll happen though.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Weekly Eats & Workouts + Spill It Sunday 04/06.

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    April 6, 2014 at 10:23 am

I’m still recovering from the red wedding episode too. I re-ordered HBO this week just for game of thrones and I can’t wait!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Because I’m happy

Brittany
    April 6, 2014 at 10:57 am

Soo….please don’t shun me…buttttt…I don’t watch GOT. Can I say GOT..or do I need to write it out because I’m a noob. Either way, if these macaroons were at your premier watching I’d be there!
    Brittany recently posted…Unleashing My Inner Billy Goat

Amanda
    April 6, 2014 at 11:19 am

Pete watches Game of Thrones but it’s not my jam. I’m a HUGE TV person though. No shame in my game. I religiously watch SEVERAL shows. #cantstopwontstop

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    April 6, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Hello soul sister, winter is near. First, have you read the books? If not, I totally recommend catching up on them, but not going past if you don’t want to spoil. The books help explain lots of the history and also you can see the differences per show/book which will shock and outrage you!

We are having a Game of Thrones party tonight, I have my Cersei wig ready.

Much love,
    Sister From the North
    Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl recently posted…Getting Ready for Game Of Thrones With Sweet Oatcakes

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    April 6, 2014 at 1:00 pm

I’m addicted to the Bravo Housewives series so I can relate! I love love love this macaroon recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    April 6, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Your comment on the font made me laugh. I spend way too much time on that stuff too and by the way, the font is greatness! Have fun watching tonight!
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Weekly Wrap-up

Cailee @ http://hellohealthyeating.com
    April 6, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Oh yum!! I love coconut!! In fact, I just washed my face with coconut oil this morning! It has such an amazing smell! I love it! 🙂 And I love that these are Raw! Great recipe idea!
    Cailee @ http://hellohealthyeating.com recently posted…Healthy Habits

Emily
    April 6, 2014 at 6:36 pm

I’ve been reading GOT, because I’m a stubborn nerd and want to read the book before I watch the show. So, it’ll probably be a while before I finally break into Season 1. And then I’ll start becoming obsessed right about the time everyone else is over it and don’t care about spoiler alerts or anything anymore. It’s hard being a book nerd.

And OMG, coconut macaroons. I don’t celebrate Passover, but I will if it means I get these every year. Yum!
    Emily recently posted…Book Review Sunday: “Eat the Yolks”

Ksenija @ With An Open Mind
    April 6, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Haha. Oh man, I hope I am still part of the club, even though I have only made it to the end of season 2 and have to wait a bit until I can watch the beginning of season 4. (Plus I really hope not to be spoilered until then!) But since I only skim-read every post which contains the words “winter is coming”, I have more time to focus on the pictures: and this healthy macaroon version made me swoon! It happens that there is a bunch of dates waiting in my fridge to be made into something delicious…
    Ksenija @ With An Open Mind recently posted…Healthy Living in a Nutshell: Beth

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    April 6, 2014 at 7:06 pm

These macaroons look awesome! I am not a Game of Thrones fan but I feel like eventually I will be. I’ve never seen an episode so now the tables have turned and you’re probably questioning our blendship (I don’t even know if that word works but whatever). But yeah…I watch a bit of Netflix but not real TV unless I’m on vacation and don’t want to pay for internet access. Speaking of which, why does anyone charge for internet access? If I’m paying for a hotel room it should be included right?! Have a great week, Davida!
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…Ego or Soul

Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN
    April 6, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Oooh, these look fun. I love tv. Especially Kardashians and Vanderpump Rules but I don’t have cable & my WIFI is too slow to stream anything.

I kind of want to check into a hotel room JUST so I can lay in bed and watch tv all weekend. Should I? Join me?
    Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN recently posted…Lately: Squats, Lunges & Cake

Angela
    April 6, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Just curious but why did you call these macaroons? They don’t look anything like macaroons nor do they have any of the signature ingredients of one either ..

April 6, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Omg, half an hour!!!! I am so excited! And I’m pretty sure 90% of that excitement is purely for Jon Snow’s pretty face. Just kidding – I really enjoy the storylines too. If only I could stop being so lazy and actually finish the 5th book.

Also, these look delicious! Dates and coconut is a magical combination.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Sesame soy tofu

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    April 6, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I’ve never been into shows or movies with dragons in them, but I’d be willing to give Game of Thrones the time of day to see what the hubbub is all about if I get to eat these macaroons while watching it. 😉 The only TV I like to watch is Food Network because I’m so domestic. Dancing with Stars is thrown in there occasionally.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Fascinating Friday Links #30

April 6, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Great – now I have another show I don’t watch that everyone else does:)
    I spent my day playing a new game on my iPhone and iPad (I ran out of charge on one!) thanks to my son and my addictive personality – oops!!
    Kim recently posted…It’s All About the Weights, Running, Moving

Nora (A Clean Bake)
    April 6, 2014 at 9:37 pm

These look amazing! Date-based raw cookies are my total obsession … pinned!

Jessie
    April 7, 2014 at 2:17 am

So… since you are demanding we make these – I suppose I will listen to you. I mean, who wants to be on Davida’s bad side? Especially when I have to fill you on a secret… I don’t watch GOT 🙁 Please don’t let that come in between our bond?
    Jessie recently posted…MIMM: Liebster Award & Quest Bar Recipes

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    April 7, 2014 at 2:56 am

I could pretend that I know what you are talking about, but I don’t. I feel so left out. I want muscly men and dragons in my livingriim (read: bed).
    Instead, I will stuff my face with these macaroons! Love. And pinned.
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…MIMM – Getting used to it.

You CAN Do It + An Announcement! - The Healthy Maven
    April 7, 2014 at 6:11 am

[…] Essentially this means cutting down on my trashy TV watching, which is probably good for me (not GoT, don’t […]

Mary Frances
    April 7, 2014 at 9:10 am

First of all, your fonts look amazing. Eye catching and dranatc!
    Seocnd of all … I have not watched the Game of Thrones, but if these macaroons are involved, then heck yes! Pinned!

April 7, 2014 at 9:34 am

Bring these over, Joe will cook a brisket, and we’ll have a Yinzer seder (it actually happened last year – my Jewish friend threw one for us).

Also, I know these are raw and vegan but do you know they are missing the egg whites, a key ingredient of macaroons?
    Cassie recently posted…Getting it Together on the Road: Savannah

Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE
    April 7, 2014 at 9:42 am

These sound super interesting!! Like something i’ve never had Davida…intrigues me 😀 Ok, with all your Game of Thrones talk, I keep thinking about watching it. I’ve never seen it, but my whole family is obsessed. I saw something about how it’s made on TV yesterday…seems pretty cool. Not my cup of tea usually, so makes me feel good that even you watch it, haha. How have you never seen Harry Potter though…like really?? YOU MUST!! I refused to watch it for the longest time, and then was forced to sit and watch it. Seriously so good. Please please watch Harry Potter, it won’t disappoint. Happy Monday 🙂
    Kelly – LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE recently posted…Roasted Spring Vegetables & Mixed Green Salad

Ashley
    April 7, 2014 at 10:53 am

Loooooove GOT and I’m so excited to get home tonight and illegally download the premiere so I can finally watch it and return to social media. And I think its hilarious that you mention how Passover food tastes like cardboard…because I was just thinking that the other day since this year will be my non-Jewish boyfriend’s first sedar. (he has no idea what’s coming)
    Ashley recently posted…playlist: 50 great running songs

April 7, 2014 at 11:00 am

Last year was my non-jewish bf’s first seder and he asked them to pass the challah (in reference to the matzah). My family was like uhhhhhh. At least he got the right religion lol!

ATasteOfMadness
    April 8, 2014 at 1:05 am

I have read the books, but I think I watched to first few episodes and didn’t really like the show. Maybe it gets better, but I thought I would rather just read it. Maybe I’ll give the show a second try.
    These macaroons look fantastic! I would love this right about now!
    ATasteOfMadness recently posted…Baked Lemon Doughnuts Filled with Lemon Jelly

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs
    April 8, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Yeah choosing fonts for the pictures SUCKS. But hey, at least yours look awesome, unlike mine, who always end up looking as if they had been edited by a 3-year-old lol.
    Anyway.
    These macaroons + my mouth = heaven

April 8, 2014 at 8:29 pm

So I’m waiting for the Hubby to come on Friday before watching the premier. It’s making me nuts though. I want to know everything NOW. Patience isn’t my strong suit.

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    April 14, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Oh girl, you know the way to my heart; vegan dessert! Thanks for linking up 🙂
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Virtual Tea Time [17] Cue More Change

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    April 15, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Sorry that I’m just getting around to comment now…thank goodness for twitter (did I really just say that?) because I saw this post last week (as you know because I tweeted you about it). But I wanted to stop by and leave a comment because…well, that’s what I like to do. 🙂
    I think I’m equally obsessed with these macaroons as I am with Jon Snow! I don’t get HBO though so I’m trying to hurrily read my way to this season. I’m still in book 1. Loved seasons 1-3 and have watched them all twice. 🙂
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwiches

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli
    April 16, 2014 at 4:36 am

You had me at Jon Snow…damn that man is fiiiiiiiiiine! I may only be on season two, but it’s certain that I am officially addicted! Just can’t believe it took me so long to get with the KNOW! Lol
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Marvelously MY Way!

Conrad
    October 31, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Other Icaros call the spirit of Ayahuasca to open visions as though exposing the optic nerve
    to light’. Binaural Beats explained and binaural beats products reviewed.
    Yoga works on 5 principles, meditation being one of them, the other four involving
    right kind of exercise, proper relaxation, proper breathing, and sufficient
    diet. The hundreds of people were tested to find the human energy vibration was raised,
    the energy increased. Whether it exists is beside the point:
    the Self, or soul as an essence has never been perceived objectively by anyone.
    Conrad recently posted…Conrad