Live

Balancing Technology

May 5, 2014

I had a whole other post planned for today, but I nixed it in favour of this one. I watched the video below and I knew I had to comment on it.

If you’re not able to watch the video (which I highly recommend you do), I’ll summarize it for you. Essentially it is a VERY important reminder for us to put away the technology and not let life pass us by because our eyes are fixed on a screen. So much happens when we’re too busy on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc..and you don’t want to waste this precious life of ours “liking” the highlights in other people’s lives instead of making your own.

I could not agree more. I admit to both contributing to and buying into all forms of technology. Social media and obviously the internet play major factors in both my personal and professional lives. Social media allows me to increase the reach of my blog and also stay in touch with friends who live far from me. My phone makes every piece of information under the sun available with just the simple touch of a button. I get lost far less frequently, I’m able to capture memories to remember for a lifetime and I can make friendships with people all around the world who I might not otherwise have connected with.

As phenomenal as all of these things are, my reaction to being disconnected is an important reminder that technology is a nice luxury, but not a necessity. I don’t like being away from my phone and the thought of somewhere without internet-access gives me genuine anxiety. This, my friends, is a problem.

As much as I love staying up to date on Facebook/Instagram/Twitter etc…it really doesn’t compare to a beautiful brunch on a patio or a Sunday cuddling on the couch with my man.

Technology is important to me and I don’t think that will ever change, but there is a time and a place for it. So I’m vowing to take a small step back in ways that I can.

From now on I will actually abide by C’s rule to put the computer away after 9:00 PM, put my phone away at meals and when I’m walking, stop looking down and start looking up!

caught in the act ;)

caught in the act 😉

I am going to choose my time on my phone and computer wisely. I’m going to limit my time scrolling through Instagram or Pinterest and it’s about time I delete the Foodgawker app from my phone! No more useless youtube videos and I’m maxing myself out at 1 hour of television a day (gasp!).

I’m vowing to spend more time with loved ones although sometimes that means over Skype, and I’m okay with that. I’m going to take pictures of moments because I want to remember them, but I also don’t want my memories to only be of me taking pictures. I want to take advantage of all of our wonderful technology that we are privilege to, but I also want to spend more time laughing with friends face-to-face.

It’s a balancing act, and one which I have not quite mastered, but it’s time for me to make a concerted effort to try. On that note, time to sit down to a delicious dinner with my man…without my phone 😉

How do you balance technology? Have you ever had to set boundaries with it?

WANT MORE HEALTHY LIVING TIPS? Join the THM Community!

Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive info about healthy living, products I'm loving and tips and tricks on making a healthy lifestyle easier and sustainable.

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan
    May 5, 2014 at 5:41 am

LOVE this clip, Davida – thank you for sharing it and this reminder!
    Evenings and with my daughter and most part of the weekend are technology free for me – I got rid of my data plan on my phone – helps me “not to look down” and save some $$ in the process because when “we become slaves to the technology we mastered” our lives become so much less richer!

May 5, 2014 at 5:43 am

Dude we must be vibing….I was literally going to write a post on this same video this week after watching it on facebook (lol) but then I scrolled my instagram feed.

I think MANY can relate to finding it tough to hit that technological balance- you recoup from it, you miss out. You focus on it, you’re not living life.

TGFS. (work that out in your technology free time).
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…International No Diet Day- Let’s embrace it

Karen Loves to Run (@karenlovestorun)
    May 5, 2014 at 6:09 am

I love this. It’s really overwhelming sometimes and I definitnely have to remind myself to put down the phone, computer, etc. I like the 9 pm rule, I think I’ll have to start using that.
    Karen @karenlovestorun
    Karen Loves to Run (@karenlovestorun) recently posted…Friday 5/2

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    May 5, 2014 at 6:25 am

I have written about this a lot – the need to unplug and enjoy yourself without checking in, taking pictures and seeing what everyone else is doing. It’s all just too much sometimes. I put the phone away more often than not these days and really try to skip pictures when I am out for dinner as often as possible.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Cinco De Mango And LI Half Marathon Recap

May 5, 2014 at 6:56 am

I used to be somewhat anti-technology. I had an ancient phone and I hated the idea of a smartphone that would allow me to be connected all the time. That is, until I got my iPhone a year ago. It totally changed the way I use technology and now I’m always on it – when walking, when waiting in line somewhere, at the gym… it’s getting to be too much! Thanks for the reminder to put it away and live in the present. 🙂
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Day in the life of a dietetic intern in a clinical rotation

kathy@vodkandsoda
    May 5, 2014 at 6:58 am

i’m a huge IT geek so anything gadgety gives me a major geek boner. that said, i’ve had to instill some rules for myself – to put that shizz away when i’m around people and just *enjoy the moment*. i don’t take out my phone and look at it while at dinners or out with people. which is why half the time i forget to mention anything that happened over the weekend because i’d rather savor the moment and enjoy it then miss things because i have my phone in my face.

we also made it a rule that social media is not allowed at home. the second we step into the house, it’s family time so the phones/tablets are put down and we enjoy our time together.

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda
    kathy@vodkandsoda recently posted…BBM2014: T-3 days and Picture Practice

May 5, 2014 at 7:07 am

I made a rule of not taking the computer into bed with me, but the phone can still be a problem. It’s basically the last thing I check before I go to sleep and first thing I check in the morning… and never mind how much time I spend on it in between 😆 It’s a tough thing to balance, though, especially when it’s not just social but work related.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 5/4 .

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    May 5, 2014 at 7:14 am

That video is incredible. And good for you, Davs, for bravely vowing to cut down on screen time!!
    Ohh technology— best friend and enemy. Sometimes I feel like I’m justified in spending so much time on social media “since everyone else is on it,” but that just detracts further from the present moment.
    Alright, no more blog reading/Instagram at the lunch table at school. 🙂
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Feelin’ Like Wonder Woman

May 5, 2014 at 8:08 am

I’ve seen that video pop up on Facebook last week, but this is the first time I’ve actually sat down and watched it – that is powerful! I feel like I had I’ve become way more reliant on technology over the past few years…these days, between school and blogging, I’m literally on my computer ALL the time, and like you, and there are few things more nightmarish than forgetting my phone at home. It’s hard to find a balance for sure, but thanks for the reminder that I should be trying to be more in the present.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Goal Talk: May.

Gabby @ the veggie nook
    May 5, 2014 at 8:31 am

So funny how I wrote a post about this same thing and then saw that video. Really spoke to me and I made a huuuuge effort over the last few days to be less “connected”. It honestly made for a wonderful weekend and I need to do it more!
    Gabby @ the veggie nook recently posted…ethical and sustainable gifts from uncommon goods

Kat
    May 5, 2014 at 9:07 am

This is the exact reason that I take the weekend off from blogging. At first it was because I needed a break for my hands (beginning stages of carpel tunnel) but the more and more weekends I took AWAY from the computer, the more and more time I realized I had to just enjoy the simple things like laying in bed with my hubby, cuddling on the couch with my puppy or meeting my best friend in the morning for a workout. I still always have my phone, but I can go for hours without looking at it once now.
    Kat recently posted…Goal Recap #4: Hold On To Your Joy

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    May 5, 2014 at 9:20 am

Wonderful and inspirational, my Dear. Across the border out Internet is cut – means when I’m on vacation I AM on vacation – except there is Wi-Fi, but Europe is not advanced in that. This is a good thing. I also leave my phone in the changing room at the gym, I leave it at home when I go for a walk with Mom and I leave it at home when I go running – except I expect some spectacular views. I need to start shutting doen my PC at 9pm too – this is something that is bothering me. I try to go to bed at 10pm and stay awake till 11 cause I am still surfing on Facebook or Bloglovin.
    Thank you for the reminder!!
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…MIMM – Birthdayweek, Lauraweek, Snowboarding

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    May 5, 2014 at 9:58 am

Can’t watch the video at work buuuut I wholeheartedly agree and I think even within the past month I’ve gotten better at this. It’s hard sometimes (I’m a phone addict) but so, so worth it in the long run.
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Honey Lime Chicken Wings

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    May 5, 2014 at 10:24 am

one of the reasons why i take off from blogging is to engage in other things..i understand some bloggers have to be on social media at all times because its basically their job and thus income…i am very addicted to social medias and hopefully with posts like this will help make changes to that.
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…Grocery Budgeting + Tips to Save Money on Groceries

Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE
    May 5, 2014 at 10:30 am

Amen!!! Ahhh sometimes I hate how attached I am to all of this “social media.” This video is beautiful and so truthful. Did you see that movie that came out earlier this year with Ben Stiller – The Secret Life of Walter Mitty? There was a scene that stuck with me in that movie which relates to this…Ben Stiller’s character was sitting in the wild with a famous photographer and they saw a leopard. Ben Stiller’s character was freaking out when the photographer didn’t reach for his camera to take a picture…Instead the photographer said sometimes he decides to live the moment and enjoy it for himself. LOVE THAT!!! Anywho, it’s a cute movie if you haven’t seen it. Love the 9pm rule. I should try that too!! Thanks Davida!
    Kelly – LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE recently posted…Blackberry Spinach Salad with Coconut Citrus Dressing

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    May 5, 2014 at 10:48 am

I saw this video on Facebook over the weekend. I think technology is something that we all need to work on.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…Life lately

May 5, 2014 at 11:04 am

So, that video made me cry. I’m so glad you shared it! Can I ever understand where that guy was coming from! I rely on technology a lot more than I used to because I’m alone here in Connecticut, but oh have I had days where I thought about the fact that I have beaucoup Facebook friends and no real ones. Is that dramatic? Yep. Is that true? Not always, but it feels that way sometimes. I definitely need to challenge myself to be quiet more. I have forte a lot better but there is surely room for improvement! I feel like an old lady shaking my cane at a young whippersnapper when I say this, but what I wouldn’t give to have people in my real, every day, non virtual life who make it necessary not to spend all my time plugged in. That’s something to be thankful for, and one reason why I’m counting down the days here!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…True Life: I’m Kind of A Hoarder

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    May 5, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I just saw this video recently as well. I can’t say I don’t think that technology is a wonderful thing, and the connections I have formed through social media are amazing, but what is just as amazing is the relationships I have outside of technology, and making sure those are thriving. I always make a conscious effort to put the phone away when am spending time with loved ones, and designate specific times for blogging and school work on the computer. There is definitely a balance that needs to be found, but I think it is easily achievable with a little bit of effort.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables
    May 5, 2014 at 12:17 pm

love this! I saw this same video and it hit me like a ton of bricks!!
    Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted…Derby Weekend

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    May 5, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I think technology does get in the way of life sometimes! It seems like people tend to lack communication and social skills because of technology nowadays. It also drives me crazy when I’m at dinner and people that I’m with are playing with their phone! Talk about rude!
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…Light Lemon Cajun Shrimp and Broccoli

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    May 5, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve thought about this. I’ve gotten really bad about gluing myself to my phone. I always tell myself “I can do 1 more thing.” Then 1 more thing becomes 10 more and another hour passes. I’ve made a rule to not use my phone in bed or after 8pm. I also keep it in my locker at the gym so I focus on my workouts. It’s been interesting in corporate america too seeing the recent college grads come into the business world. They seem to lack some of the personal, social interaction required in the business world. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the video!
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Spicy Plantain Chips + Healthy Mexican Meal

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat
    May 5, 2014 at 1:53 pm

I’ve deleted my FB account more times than I can count. But I can’t actually part with it because of living away from so many friends and family, not to mention using it for my blog. What helps me is only checking it when I get notifications, as opposed to before when I’d waste 15 minutes several times a day scrolling through.
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…24-Week Bumpdate

lindsay
    May 5, 2014 at 2:33 pm

i just saw that video. I was in awe of how much i see that. and actually, how much i do it. ANother reason why i kind of want to move back to NZ. it’s less connected, more LOOKING UP
    lindsay recently posted…Orange or Green? Which Veggie Packed Smoothie is Better for Gut Health?

Em @ Love A Latte
    May 5, 2014 at 3:00 pm

It’s a really tough balance! I go through times where I want nothing to do with my phone and days where I spend my life on it. I try to put it away when I’m around other people or out, but I don’t always do a great job. Definitely something I need to be aware of and take a step back from at times!
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…5 Simple Changes To a Vegan Diet

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    May 5, 2014 at 3:03 pm

LMFAO you will not believe where I am as I type this comment – I am in my car on my computer!!!!! LIKE WHAT IN THE FU**!!!! Here we are telling people to disconnect yet technology just keeps getting better and better – social life? WHo does that in person anymore – SERIOUSLY! LOL!!!

Well, I guess SOME THINGS HAVE TO BE DONE in person 😉
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted…Serving Up Flex Tacos and Key Lime Pie Man-garitas

Ashley
    May 5, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I feel so strongly about this! Part of me wants to just disappear from social media completely. I didn’t have twitter or facebook before I was a blogger, and I never felt like I was a slave to my phone. Now it’s like I’m constantly worrying about what I’m missing online if I can’t check it every other hour! It’s terrible 🙁
    Ashley recently posted…our first home

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health
    May 5, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Great post! This is such an important topic to bring light to and it makes me feel 100% better about neglecting blogging for the past month, haha.

I honestly get sad when I don’t blog and participate in social media. It’s a source of happiness for me. But it’s also important to find a balance and that can be hard. I probably took a little far by not blogging at all but it allowed me to live in the moment which really felt nice.

p.s. I love the pic of you taking a selfie. Hilarious! 🙂
    Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted…Spring Vegetable Pasta

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake
    May 5, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Wow, so true. I need to seriously set a time limit for my technology. I feel like i need to stay up to sate all the time…but, man, i need to have a break. Definitely thinking about the 9:00 pm challenge.
    Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake recently posted…May Wishlist

Brittany
    May 5, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I just finally watched this video and OH MY GOSH, what an amazing watch. This man was so loquacious and the video really made me go, “WOW!” I love love love this. All of it, enjoy your time away from technology! Life is meant to be lived..YES!

Amanda
    May 5, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Pete and I are both addicted to technology. On our date nights, we have a rule that neither of us can be on our phones or computers. It makes a huge difference.

May 5, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Oh, that video – wow!!! Amazing how different his life would have been had he not looked up.
    I try to spend huge chunks of every day without technology – especially when my boys come home – we spend time talking about their day and whatever else they want to share – I wouldn’t give up that time for anything!
    Kim recently posted…Sometimes Rocks Crack

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    May 5, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Oh my gosh, so true! I am addicted to tech and taking photos. I am really good on weekends though because I don’t spend much time on social media until Sunday night when I do my blog for the week. I also started taking one day off a week from blogging sometime last year and it made a huge difference not being on social media one day a week. And of course work limits me too! 🙂 But I’ll never give up tech totally because, like you said, I have met some amazing people (like you!) through it.
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Barre at the Beach

May 5, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Great post… I’ve found myself wasting so much time unintentionally online or having my nose in my phone. I’m need to be better about living in the moment and not trying to catch up on my Twitter feed. Actually, going to close out my computer now!
    Cassie recently posted…Race Recap: Nike Women’s Half Marathon DC

cait @pieceofcait
    May 5, 2014 at 9:59 pm

saw this too and really made me think!!!! george also suggested me putting my comp away after a certain time. its so easy to get caught up, or think of something new to search. Gotta take a break, great reminder! 🙂
    cait @pieceofcait recently posted…Unexpected happenings

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl
    May 6, 2014 at 11:32 am

I work so much on the computer so I always feel connected and it’s become a little bit of a burden. Most of my work professionally is done over email and I work in a cut throat industry so that makes it even worse to always be available. There was a few months ago where i tried to log off at 6PM every single night and not pick up my phone again the morning, it lasted a few weeks.. but I cheated and it started again. During those weeks though I got the best sleep. I wish I could just hire someone to steal my phone every night and return it. Maybe this is a new business idea I should try.

Bryanna
    May 6, 2014 at 12:25 pm

This is a great post!! I don’t remember the last time my phone wasn’t brought to dinner. I feel I might need a photo for instagram. I definitely have an addiction to Instagram and Twitter, but I am better with balancing my screen time and my family time. It’s nuts how easy it is to get lost on social media. It’s like spider web at times, and sometimes it’s unhealthy because it leads to the comparison trap, as we look at other’s lives wishing ours was maybe a little more like their’s. this was a good reminder to enjoy the world around us, and not through a screen.

Mary Frances
    May 6, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I was literally writing a post about this when I saw yours. You covered everything so well! One of my mom’s favorite quotes is “social media is the opposite of socializing.” It is so true! I am SO guilty of being glued to my phone, looking at FB and Pinterest even when I don’t have to. Thanks for this reminder, it is a necessary one! PS Your “caught in the act” photo is too cute! 🙂
    Mary Frances recently posted…Fudgy Brownie Cake with Chocolate Pudding Frosting (dairy free!)

Emily
    May 6, 2014 at 8:29 pm

We spent last weekendin the woods where there was no electricity, cell reception, or wi-fi. It was the first time since before I had a cell phone (college, maybe?) that I was completely connected to what was around me and completely disconnected to anything on the interwebs. It was so refreshing. Technology is good and has it’s place in the world, but it’s not everything. Life is still happening even if Instagram is there.
    Emily recently posted…Catching Up

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    May 6, 2014 at 10:05 pm

That video touched my soul! It’s tragic how dependent we have come on technology; it is now the norm and honestly I don’t see it changing all that much. I try to turn off the computer by 9:30 and my phone too. It’s a work in progress for sure!
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Lemony Dijon Brussel Sprouts

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen
    May 7, 2014 at 5:22 am

Oh my gosh! Totally a balancing act….and a tough one at that!!! I need to really stop scrolling through instagram so often and schedule my “social media” time for the day. Definitely something I am constantly working on!!!
    Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted…Feeling Snacky? POPSUGAR Must Have Snacks NatureBox Review

Kim @ BusyBod
    May 7, 2014 at 2:45 pm

I saw this video the other day and it is so powerful. Since I started blogging I’ve definitely been sucked much more into technology, I never had twitter or instagram before. I kind of dove in head first, but in the time since I’ve been trying to be a bit more balanced. One of my goals is to be more present and to counteract my tendency to disappear into my phone or laptop. The biggest thing I took from the video is that I need to stop using my phone as a shield. When I’m out of my house, I hide behind my phone the second I’m alone or nervous or uncomfortable, and by retreating into that little safety bubble I miss out on the world around me.
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Yoga strength foundations {guest post}

Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change
    May 8, 2014 at 8:32 pm

JUST watched this today – and have a post in the works as well.
    The funny part is, that for the month of May, one of my changes was no social media until after 10am. I’ve been good MOST days but somedays I just fall into the old habit! But I’m consciously trying to get better. I want to be better about leaving my phone at home and grabbing my camera. That is what will capture the “real” moments. And I agree about finding a set time at night to put electronics away. Maybe next month I will limit my Netflix – sounds like a fantastic idea.
    Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted…Thinking Out Loud / #5

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    May 9, 2014 at 10:01 pm

I LOVE this post! When I deleted my FB in December, I felt so much more freedom. I loved that I had to actually connect with people to make plans. I feel like sometimes we get so sucked into the technology that we forget to actually SEE the people in our lives. Technology can be beneficial but we do need to remember to LIVE LIFE and be with our loved ones!
    Great post 🙂
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…I am MARATHON AGE!!!!

. link love 5/11 . - . running with spoons .
    May 11, 2014 at 8:10 am

[…] Balancing Technology via The Healthy Maven. A great reminder to put down the phone and step away from the computer. […]

5/11/14 Sunday Funday | The Skinny-Life
    May 11, 2014 at 10:01 am

[…] Balancing Technology via The Healthy Maven – Technology is great, but it’s important to know when to put the phone down & experience life. […]

May 11, 2014 at 5:56 pm

I saw that same video on Facebook (oh the irony), and I loved it too. I’ve been trying to make a concentrated effort to back away from the computer screens too, whether it be my phone, my iPad or my computer. Also for my actual job, I’m pretty much on call 24/7. I took this last week off though, and I turned off my work email and told my coworkers to call me in case of an emergency. I know I’ll be going back to hundreds of emails this week, but it’s been so worth it. We all need a break sometime, and we all need to appreciate the moment by being in the moment, not necessarily IG, Tweeting, or FBing the moment.

Great post!!
    Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets recently posted…Ramp Risotto with Pine Nuts

Bean Bytes 89
    May 12, 2014 at 12:00 am

[…] tips: Stop the Negative Self Talk via Live From La Quinta Balancing Technology via The Healthy […]

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    May 12, 2014 at 8:57 am

I’ve gotten much better, recently, about leaving my phone in the other room. When I’m home with Alex on the couch, I try not to check my phone all the time. I’m totally guilty of checking it anytime I don’t have something else to do though! It’s like my default!

John @ Garage Gyms
    May 16, 2014 at 10:36 am

I’m with you 100%. Maybe 110%. I can’t be without my phone, but I don’t like to use it. Outside of blogging I don’t spend more than 10 minutes a week on social media sites. I don’t even watch television more than a couple hours a week. I’d be so stressed if the entire Internet crashed, but it would probably be one of the best things that could ever happen for society.

Nikki@will run for pizza
    September 11, 2014 at 9:38 pm

You spoke my mind. I posted this video a few months ago too because it really made a light bulb go off. SO true!
    Nikki@will run for pizza recently posted…1 year after a loss.

Gluten-Free Carrot Cake + A Very Special Birthday! - The Healthy Maven
    December 29, 2014 at 9:35 pm

[…] Thank you for reminding me to look up. […]

Hayley @ Full of Life
    September 16, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Love this and I recently have been trying to balance this better too. The past few weeks I have been spending way less time on social media and technology in general and it has been so refreshing.

September 22, 2015 at 8:19 am

So awesome to hear! I just detoxed from tech last week and it was the BEST.THING.EVER.

Jim Roose
    August 8, 2016 at 12:26 am

I was born way before cell phones were invented. Still trying to learn how to use all the apps but mostly I just stick to answering calls. Sometimes I wish I was as good at the “instagram game” as kids these days!

Herbort
    August 18, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Alex
    October 6, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Great article. I have shared it on facebook.

Thanks! 🙂
    Alex recently posted…Suspension Workout Straps – what should I look for?