Live

{The New YP App} Meet Your Neighbourhood

May 28, 2014

This post is sponsored by Yellow Pages through Made in Blog. I was compensated and all opinions are my own.

Despite having grown up and spent at least 20 of my almost 25 years living in Toronto, I still get lost all.the.time. Granted I have the worst sense of direction but you would think that by now I would have a vague sense of where I am going. Unfortunately Toronto is both poorly laid out and constantly expanding that no sense of direction would be of any use.

It genuinely baffles me how anyone got around in the world before Smartphones. Sure I took 10 years of geography, but that doesn’t mean if you handed me a map I would know where to go. I need to be able to enter my location and my destination and watch the little dot move closer to my endgame in order to know I am actually going where I am supposed to be.

Cue introduction to my latest obsession, the new YP app. Remember back in the day when you wanted someone’s telephone number you had to look them up in the yellow pages? I’m 90% certain that book weighed more than I did. Thankfully we’ve come a long way since then and the yellow pages has managed to find a way to keep up, in the form of what else, an app! I should probably mention the app is free to download, and you know how I feel about all things free…

YP App Cover PhotoThe YP app makes it easy for you to find whatever you are looking for from your current location. So for example when I was looking for a coffee shop to bunk up in for some ecookbook writing I was easily able to select “coffee” and it came up with an endless list of options listed by distance to my current location.

Coffee Shop Listing PhotoThe YP app also saved the day last week when I procrastinated booking C’s birthday restaurant. We live in a neighbourhood saturated with restaurants, both good and bad. The YP app allowed me to search by reviews so I could filter out the bad ones and only see the good ones, which was how I landed on Marben. Even better, it allowed me to connect directly to OpenTable so I could easily make a reservation. We both loved our meals which included ceviche cones to start, scallop risotto for him and lentil salad for me and agreed we would be back.

marbenOr how about the other day when I was food shopping in Kensington only to discover the store I was at doesn’t take credit. YP to the rescue, which allowed me to find the nearest bank location to take out money with my handy map showing me how close I was getting to my destination (oh and that I was going the right direction). The app has been so helpful that I am starting to consider it a close friend.

Bank PictureSince you all know I’m a sucker for a good deal, the app even let’s your refine your searches by deals. My only complaint would be that they aren’t always up to date. Then again my friend Mic is filled with an insane amount of information regarding Toronto restaurants that I’m almost not surprised they can’t keep up with her. For the record, she was the one who introduced me to buck-a-shuck oysters and half-priced wine at Beast. Come to think of it, I almost hope they don’t publicize that deal since I’d like to hoard it to myself.

oystersIt’s no surprise that I use the app almost exclusively for food purposes. It saved me by telling me the only grocery store that was open in my hood on Victoria Day and is responsible for discovering the most delicious sushi restaurant, which is the latest to drown my bank account. The app is available across Canada so it can both save your day or drown your bank account too. So long as you’ve got data, you’ve got directions!

If you live in the great white north go check out YP.ca or download the app for iPhone or for Android. I apologize in advance if you forget how to use a paper map as a result 😉

Do you have a good sense of direction? Have you used the YP app or something similar?

May 28, 2014 at 7:22 am

I’ll definitely have to check this out too – my sense of direction is pretty terrible! And if it can find me an awesome sushi restaurant, I know I’ll be happy 😉
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: Warm Weather Eats.

Pip {Cherries & Chisme}
    May 28, 2014 at 8:07 am

I still don’t know any of the street names in the city I’ve lived in for 22 years – whenever anyone says to meet on the corner of x and y I have to ask what shops are near by!! Need a British version of this 🙂
    Pip {Cherries & Chisme} recently posted…{Marvelous in My Monday} Brunch, Rugby & A Food Market

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat
    May 28, 2014 at 8:12 am

I NEED this app!

Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair
    May 28, 2014 at 8:48 am

I have a HORRIBLE sense of a direction. So this app sounds right up my alley. Thanks for sharing! 🙂 PS – love Marben. Their burger is insanely good.
    Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday #12: Taste of London

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    May 28, 2014 at 9:41 am

This ap sounds super helpful, especially for someone like me who gets lost if you tell me to go straight!
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Whipped Lemon Feta Spread

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    May 28, 2014 at 9:51 am

i have zero sense of direction so i am with you all the way…i normally try yelp but need to check with yp next.
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…Out and About : One Day in Austin

May 28, 2014 at 10:12 am

😆 I remember those crazy Yellow Page books. I thought they got rid of them until I saw a stack in my building’s lobby. I don’t know that anyone still uses them, but at least they put them on a diet so that they’re only about 1/3 of the size that they used to be.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. WIAW … you’ve been replaced .

Tiff
    May 28, 2014 at 11:29 am

I actually have a pretty good inner compass. I’m surprised the app is new. Better late than never!
    Tiff recently posted…He Must Be Teething…

May 28, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Sweet, I’ll have to check out this app. I have a horrible sense of direction and it doesn’t help that I keep moving to new areas! When I just left my last house, I left a bunch of YP books that had been left on my doorstep while I lived there… which made me think, who the hell under the age of 70 uses these things anymore?! Happy to hear they’ve evolved with the times to come up with an app.

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    May 28, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I get lost everytime I go anywhere downtown. Once I’m off the grid system, it is like I’m in a different city. I can’t tell east from west or north from south. Hopeless.
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Recipes from My Garden

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    May 28, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I get lost all the time! But I do think were too dependent on our phones these days. We need to try I solve our problems first before going to the phone. BTW- they still hand out the YP books in AZ!
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…WIAW…All About the Berries

Kim @ BusyBod
    May 29, 2014 at 9:06 am

This is genius! I too have no sense of direction and before smart phones I was just perpetually lost. Like I accidentally got so lost in a blizzard once that I was off the road and attempting to drive up a ski resort lost. True story. Checking now to see if this app is in the U.S. too. 🙂
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Lately + Spartan training plan

May 29, 2014 at 9:53 am

Definitely used to use the phone book lol… now we still get one once a year or something for whatever reason and we throw it away. I remember when we lived in Oklahoma and West Virginia my parents would get ones for Pittsburgh and our town in PA so we still could look up numbers. Good to see the phone book company is staying relevant with an app.
    Cassie recently posted…Trail Mix Oatmeal Muffins