random ramblings

Random Ramblings #13

May 16, 2014

Before I ramble, I just want to say that I LOVED your comments on yesterday’s post. It was interesting to hear different people’s perspectives on writing and why some people love it while others have a harder time. It seems to me that the fact that I don’t consider myself a good writer takes away the whole “I’m too critical of my writing” writer’s blocker. If you write like you don’t give a rat’s ass it makes the process a whole lot easier.

On that note, let’s talk!

I would like to introduce you all to Petunia aka the love of my life. She is a 10 week old English Bulldog that lives in my building. I may or may not be her stalker. I also may or may not hang out in the lobby of our building waiting for her to go for a walk. Ang told me she’s calling the cops on me because clearly I’m a dog snatcher in the making…I’m not gonna deny this.

petuniaHave you seen these ridiculously delicious smelling candles from the Food Network?! My house currently smells like Sunday Morning Pancakes. Despite my attempts at budgeting, I spent wayyy too much on candles at Blue Banana in Kensington Market.

CandleOn Wednesday I was invited by the wonderful people at iYellow Wine Club to a wine tasting for Stoneleigh’s new wines and an oyster shucking lesson. I was having a fabulous time, but shortly after this photo was taken things went majorly downhill. I think I either had a bad oyster or an allergic reaction of sorts because suddenly I got really hot, dizzy and my chest tightened up and I had to run outside to get some air (in the pouring rain). And later that night I broke out into a rash. Please don’t tell me I suddenly developed an allergy to oysters?!?! KILL ME NOW. p.s. Zan I still feel horrible for leaving you!!!

oystersThis song. On repeat.

I’m off to Montreal today! C and I decided we needed a weekend away and since he’s there for work right now I figured I would tag along. It’s supposed to rain all weekend. I’m thinking movies, shopping and possibly the Biodome?

MontrealSee you on the flipside! xoxo Gossip girl.

Has anyone else had a sudden allergic reaction to oysters or am I just nuts?! What song have you had on repeat?

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    May 16, 2014 at 5:22 am

Oh my, so sorry for that allergic reaction!! I’m sure it was just a bad one and you still can eat Oysters….??!!
    Have fun In Montreal!! So jealous!
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…Weal and Woe.

May 16, 2014 at 5:26 am

It wasn’t an allergic reaction. It was your body’s reaction to that hideous top you opted to wear. Just kidding… well not really.

I may or may not have spent too much time for a male to do so in Yankee Candle in NYC.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…When the blogging world replicates high school

Tiff
    May 16, 2014 at 5:35 am

Have a great weekend!! Petunia will miss you.
    Tiff recently posted…Cheesy Chicken Meatballs

Laurie
    May 16, 2014 at 5:47 am

Sorry about the reaction. If it was to the oysters, generally, you don’t get the reaction the first time you’re “exposed” to the “thing”. My grandfather was a dermatologist and I just know things from skin reactions and believe/assume all allergic reactions follow a somewhat similar course.

Have a great weekend in Montreal. I’m heading out of town on Tuesday (Austin, TX) for 5 days!!!! 4 days off of work plus Memorial Day. Planning for lots of good food and music!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    May 16, 2014 at 6:15 am

I’ve never had a sudden allergy attack, but my husband has. He was addicted to sun butter and ate it by the spoonfuls, but one day after eating some on toast; his throat and lips started swelling. I thought we were going to have to take him to the emergency room, but Benadryl did the trick. No sun butter for him now….. it’s very sad. 🙁 Have a fun weekend relaxing!
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Gettin’ Figgy Wit It

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    May 16, 2014 at 6:20 am

Ohhh I need a candle like that! I love the food-scented candles. Right now I have Chocolate Whoopie Pie in my kitchen but I really want the Pancake one lol….I know that feeling of getting dizzy and weird from food out of nowhere. Never to oysters but my new issue is to eating too many beets – similar reaction. Have a great weekend!
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Put Away Your Measuring Cup

May 16, 2014 at 7:26 am

Bad news – you can definitely develop a sudden allergy. I could eat raw apples my whole life, and then some time in college I developed and allergy, and now I can’t keep them down. If that ever happens with french fries, I don’t know what I would do. Have fun in Montreal!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…Some Worthwhile Distractions

Joanne
    May 16, 2014 at 7:40 am

Crazy about the oyster reaction! I would say try to avoid them for a while…you don’t want any sort of crazy dangerous reaction! Have fun this weekend!
    Joanne recently posted…Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches with Malted Milk Chocolate Buttercream

May 16, 2014 at 8:05 am

OHMYGOD PETUNIA. Might actually give Atticus a run for his money in the cuteness department….maybe. I wouldn’t blame you at all for snatching that dog up. Have a fabulous time in Montreal!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Five Things Friday 05/16/14.

May 16, 2014 at 8:19 am

That song! And that [dog] face! So much love. I’ve never had a reaction to oysters, buuuut that’s mostly because I avoid them like the plague anyways. I have developed random allergies to things I had no problem with before, though. Be careful! And have a blasty blast in Montreal this weekend!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. how to start a blog .

Samantha @ The Faithful Runner
    May 16, 2014 at 8:36 am

Oh my gosh.. That’s the cutest puppy ever! I don’t blame you for being a dog stalker. 😉 I can’t imagine how delicious that candle must make you…. Does it make you hungry for pancakes? I feel like I might be disappointed if I smelled pancakes and there were none to be eaten. Hahah. I love Ed Sheeran’s Sing!
    Samantha @ The Faithful Runner recently posted…Friday “Fun” Facts

kathy@vodkandsoda
    May 16, 2014 at 8:58 am

my friend suddenly developed an allergy to all shellfish and she just about cried since she LOVES shrimp and lobster. she eats it anyway and deals with the consequences (swollen and red lips + rash for days).

-kathy
    Vodka and Soda
    kathy@vodkandsoda recently posted…friday favorites [3], BBM2014 recap

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    May 16, 2014 at 9:01 am

Omg that’s terrible about the oysters but I mean… at least it didn’t happen with chocolate. Have fun in Montreal lovely!
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Friday Favorites 5/16/14

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat
    May 16, 2014 at 9:15 am

Wow, sorry to hear about your allergic reaction! I’ve never reacted to oysters but randomly began reacting to zucchini a few years ago and now don’t touch the stuff. I loved zucchini, but I’d rather not feel the after-effects.
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…Prepping for Baby Girl: The To-Do List

May 16, 2014 at 9:26 am

I loveeee that song (obv we have the same taste). I’ve been listening to Stay High by Tove Lo on REPEAT. It’s excessive. Listen to it now, I think you’ll like it. xoxo
    Cassie recently posted…Spring Superfood Salad

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    May 16, 2014 at 9:45 am

Yaaaas I love the sign out on this post. Anytime I see xoxo my head automatically goes “gossip girl.”

And you really are a dog snatcher in the making. Petunia’s parents be warned. Safe travels!!
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…A Whole Lotta Random

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    May 16, 2014 at 10:15 am

Apparently it is common to develop shellfish allergies later in life. 🙁 But maybe you just had a bad oyster or a reaction to something else.

Currently I’m loving Recover by CHVRCHES.
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Food & Fitness: Wine, Chocolate + Levo League

cait @pieceofcait
    May 16, 2014 at 10:52 am

sorry about your reaction, i hate when it feels like you were hit by a bus OUTTA no where!!! have a fun weekend! xo
    cait @pieceofcait recently posted…Thinking Out Loud 5/15

Melissa
    May 16, 2014 at 11:00 am

I hope you didn’t develop an allergy to oysters, but it sounds suspiciously like how I developed my clam allergy. Apparently developing early adult shellfish allergies are common – it’s a shame, I love clam chowder!
    Melissa recently posted…Worthy Reads This Week

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    May 16, 2014 at 11:24 am

That dog is so adorable! I’ve had “Time after time” stuck in my head for no reason whatsoever. I haven’t even heard it lately so I don’t know why it just popped into my brain. Hope you have an awesome weekend! I think I need a pancake candle! (I once bought my college boyfriend a bacon scented candle and got major girlfriend points because I was also a vegetarian. I feel like pancakes and bacon would still top an egg scented candle. That’s going too far for me)
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…Raising the Barre: 8 Ways to Refine Your Focus In Pure Barre

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    May 16, 2014 at 11:35 am

It could be a bad reaction to THAT fish. It’s easy for fish to go bad or get contaminated. I wouldn’t right it off yet! Favorite song as of lately Thunder Clatter by Wild Club.
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Orange Julius Smoothie

May 16, 2014 at 11:44 am

Raining here all weekend too.

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    May 16, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with oysters! I love shellfish and don’t know what I’ll do if I suddenly developed an allergic reaction.

Your dog is so cute! Love that face!!
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…Friday Favorites! Edition 5

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    May 16, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I had NO idea that the Food Network made candles! I really think I need one of those, yum!!! Have a great weekend!! 🙂
    Karey @ Nutty About Health recently posted…Health Headlines – #1

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    May 16, 2014 at 1:16 pm

That pup is adorable! Bentley says that you can always come play with him when you need your dog fix! I hope you haven’t developed an allergy, allergies can be so scary!
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…WIAW – antioxidants

May 16, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Have a fun get-away!!!
    Weird about the allergic reaction – maybe it wasn’t the oysters but the latex in the gloves?
    Now I need to get on the Food Network site and get some candles since I don’t bake!!!
    Kim recently posted…Friday Deserves Some Laughs!

Diane @ Life of Di.
    May 16, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I bet those Food Network candles smell amazing! Saturday Morning Pancakes?! Yes, please!
    Diane @ Life of Di. recently posted…Baby Boden: The First Trimester.

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    May 16, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I don’t blame you for obsessing over that dog- he’s adorable with all his little rolls. I have a lot of friends with bulldogs and they’re hilarious pets to have around.
    Have a great weekend with C, even though it’ll be rainy!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Squeeze-it-in Vacation Workout

Amanda
    May 16, 2014 at 7:36 pm

STEAL PETUNIA!!!!!
    I’m obsessed with Fancy by Iggy Azalea right now!
    Amanda recently posted…The One Where I’m A Tease

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    May 16, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Montreal!! Have fun! Man, I have an itch to go there now.
    The only shellfish allergy I’ve ever gotten was from cocktail shrimp. I got hives, which was weird because I always eat shrimp. I blame the fact that it was sitting out a reception for a while…
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Behind the Scenes #21: Current Banes of Existence

May 17, 2014 at 7:09 am

Ahh I need those candles! I’m not even a big candle person, but those scents sound just amazing!

I randomly developed an allergy to scallops/oysters/mussels/clams in my 20s, so maybe that’s what it was? I would get it tested for sure because if you are allergic, you might be allergic to those other bivalves as well. My other thought is maybe you had a reaction to the wine? My mom often reacts to wines than contain sulphites.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Del Dente

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    May 17, 2014 at 9:40 am

I hope you have a fabulous weekend! I totally need a weekend off!!!!!!
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…Hi! Remember me?!?!

May 17, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Have a great weekend laying low. Breaks are some my favorite things.

It rained here a couple days last week, which I took for an obvious sign to do nothing other than watch Breaking Bad episodes for hours straight. Makes sense to me.

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    May 17, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Oh my gosh, steal the bulldog cutie, move to Cali, and let’s split ownership. I need a fur child in my life.

PS. That last picture? Adorable.
    Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted…Buff Bake: Bakery for the Fit

Sarah Pie
    May 18, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I’d stalk Petunia too, she’s precious! Have a great weekend, trips are always fun 🙂
    Sarah Pie recently posted…Spill it Sunday: Taking over the Big Man’s World

Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change
    May 20, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I need those candles in my life RIGHT NOW. My new mission is to find them in MN. I feel like I need a weekend away, but will have to wait for this weekend to pass before that happens. Three days off in a row!? I won’t know what to do with myself. Just catching up on blogs, so this comment is a few days behind, but I couldn’t resist! Hope you are feeling better. =)
    Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change recently posted…Thinking Out Loud / #5