Live travel

{Weekend Recap} The Cottage Edition

May 26, 2014

Without a doubt, summer has arrived! This means cottages, lakes and me avoiding the sun to avoid future wrinkles. This past weekend I was fortunate enough to have been invited to celebrate Benny Mo’s 25th birthday along with 3 other birthdays (including C’s) at his absolutely beautiful cottage. It’s nice to have been able to capture so many memories on my camera besides those involving food. It was also nice to put the camera away and just live in the NSFW moments…those were sent in the form of snapchats throughout the weekend.

I’ll be honest, my somewhat decent skill with food photography does not quite translate to people. C’s got that eye so I leave the picture-taking to him.

We could not have asked for better weather or better company. And considering we were cooking for 25, the food was quite impressive! The Habs game is starting so I am rushing this post. Duty calls!

Benny Mo manning the grill for our weekend sustenance, spiducci (mini grilled lamb skewers).

SpiducciGlorious weather and chills on the water.

IMG_5059The most epic birthday gift in the form of life-sized Jenga! p.s. this was just before I knocked it over…I suck.

IMG_5135The crew.

IMG_5172The eats.

dinnerThe setting.

IMG_5183The love.

C and DThe end.

the endAnother fabulous weekend for the memory books. Even if my life seems completely uninteresting to you, these posts are my favourite. I love having a virtual scrapbook and I’m so looking forward to the many more pages to add over the summer! <–so cheesy.

What’s your favourite way to spend summer weekends? Cottage, cabin or lake house, what do you call it?

May 26, 2014 at 5:14 am

Argh I was vicariously living through your T’s, Snapchats and all things electronic. Is it crazy that it’s meant to be Winter but mother nature has a pole up her….derrier and it’s a beauty of 25 degrees this week?

She’s probably going to remove it soon and come dutch oven some rain on us.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Oatmeal Cookie Granola Clusters

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    May 26, 2014 at 5:32 am

OMGOOOOSH that looks like SO MUCH FUN!! This would TOTALLY be my kind of summer weekend.
    Anything that involved a lake or beach is perfect.
    And these are definitely my most favorite posts too cause I get to see your gorgeous face!!
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…MIMM – Aussie News, Sneakers, Run

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    May 26, 2014 at 6:08 am

I love my weekend recaps and other recap posts for the same reason -it has become my scrapbook. I tend to have more weekend recaps in the summer because of my time spent at the beach. I am loving that the warm weather and bright sunshine is back! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    May 26, 2014 at 6:09 am

I think my web address went in wrong in my comment lol – I hate computers!
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Race Recap and My New Favorite Nike Skirt

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    May 26, 2014 at 6:37 am

Those kind of weekends are the best! Friends, lakes, and tons of food? Sounds great to me! I love going out on the river on our friends’ boat in the summer. Just being on the water is the best!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…In transition…..

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    May 26, 2014 at 7:16 am

What a fabulous weekend! I love the dock! What a great place to relax with friends!!!
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…I Wish I Had Known…

Jess @dearhealthyness
    May 26, 2014 at 7:38 am

These type of posts are my favorites as well, even when they might not seem health or fitness related in my blog, being happy is part of being healthy 😀 That said, I also believe my blog is my kind of journal 😛
    Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted…Finding your Passion

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan
    May 26, 2014 at 8:05 am

…And here I was thinking all you ever did was take pictures of food and write about the funky recipes and the stories behind them…I would never have thunk you had a life outside it!!!! 😉
    Thanks for sharing your fabulous weekend Davida! It sure is nice to see these type of “virtual scrapbook” posts!

May 26, 2014 at 8:45 am

This looks like so much fun! I think I might be doing the cottage thing at the end of August, so thank you for getting me excited for that!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Favourites.

Carmy
    May 26, 2014 at 8:52 am

You looked like you had a blast! Plus Giant Jenga?! Jealous!
    Carmy recently posted…How Often Should I Replace My Running Shoes?

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    May 26, 2014 at 9:51 am

although we blog about food, i love these non-food related posts the most..i mean i already you know food skills but life outside that is soo nice to read. seems like a great way to enjoy summer.
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…Meet the Dietitian: Travis Fleming

Pip {Cherries & Chisme}
    May 26, 2014 at 9:59 am

This looks HEAVENLY – and that terrace on the lake? Just wow.

Buenos Aires is being mean this week – beautiful sunshine and clear blue skies…and then you step outside and it’s SO COLD!

One of my favourite ways to spend summer has to be sailing through a glistening sea 😉 or a BBQ in the garden with plenty of pimms… I think these posts are great – helps me to pretend it’s summer!
    Pip {Cherries & Chisme} recently posted…{Marvelous in My Monday} Brunch, Rugby & A Food Market

May 26, 2014 at 10:49 am

I love blogging for that. I don’t really enjoy going back and reading old posts (why do I always think I’m brilliant while writing a post but a dork when I go back and read it?!), but it’s nice to be able to look back and see what you’ve been up to over the year(s). Gonna live vicariously through you since I’m currently sitting by the window looking out at grey skies and rain. Fails.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. healthy rice krispie treats .

Amanda
    May 26, 2014 at 10:49 am

Okay… that looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! And GIANT Jenga?! SIGN ME UUUUP!

cait @pieceofcait
    May 26, 2014 at 11:07 am

SO FUN! Nothing beats getting together with friends with a beautiful weekend, drinks and games! 🙂
    cait @pieceofcait recently posted…MDW weekend pics

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    May 26, 2014 at 11:52 am

What a crazy fun weekend! I love reading these posts, reading about the awesome life experiences and time with friends!
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…Salsa Chicken

erin @ The Almond Eater
    May 26, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Funnnnn weekend and super jealous… I love lakes. And keep the recaps coming.. recaps are some of my favorite posts to read AND write. .. actually have one coming up tomorrow!
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Simple Berry Sangria

May 26, 2014 at 1:49 pm

You look so happy!

May 26, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Holy S that cottage looks amazing. You Canadians know how to do a vacation house. My family has a house in VA on a lake but we only go once or twice a year since it’s so far from us now! I have lots of trips planned for the rest of the summer so it’s okay though… so jealous, glad you had fun! (PS GO HABS GO)
    Cassie recently posted…Now Trending – Best Links Week of 5.23

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    May 26, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Summer in one blog post. Love it!! We’re going to our vacation house in Florida later this summer, but it’s not a cottage. Cottages sound cuter though, because it makes me feel like we’re gonna have a bonfire with s’mores.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Brother-Sister Rivalry

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    May 26, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Your weather looks so nice! It’s 107 in AZ today and I’m stuck inside. I got outside for a run at 5 this morning, but it was already 80 and hot, hot, hot. My summer is like your winter. Love the Jenga party! I used to play that when I worked in Mexico and we went out EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…iPad Air Giveaway

Memorial Weekend Recap | The Almond Eater
    May 26, 2014 at 7:23 pm

[…] had Memorial Day off and were able to enjoy a beautiful 3-day weekend! I know I did Today Davida posted about her weekend and talked about how, even though weekend recaps have nothing to do with […]

Karey @ Nutty About Health
    May 26, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Definitely looks like a great weekend! LOVE the look of the giant Jenga! I’d totally knock it over too!
    As for my weekends – give me a good farmer’s market & I’m pretty happy. 🙂 I’m not much for lake houses/cabins/or those types of camping/roughing it type things – I know, I’m a weirdo. 😉
    Karey @ Nutty About Health recently posted…MIMM: Memorial Day Weekend

May 26, 2014 at 10:30 pm

We used to spend summers in Fort Erie, Canada on the beach, relaxing. Nowadays, we get a cottage (cabin, beach house) for one week and all regroup as a family. Those are some great memories, much like yours.

May 27, 2014 at 12:45 am

Looks like a good time! And life sized Jenga sounds like so much fun.

May 27, 2014 at 7:10 am

What a perfect weekend! There is nothing better than spending a weekend up north with friends. That was easier for me when I went to camp as a kid/teen though… I don’t know many people with cottages so I rarely get a chance to go now!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Snapshots from my birthday weekend

Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan
    May 27, 2014 at 11:29 am

Well this certainly looks gorgeous & like a ton of fun! I had a similar experience this weekend– put the camera away when it came to food photos, and lived in the moment and enjoyed the company of my lovely friends on a glorious weekend away!! And also funny– we were cooking for 22, so we made some epic meals & grocery store runs 😉 looks so lovely!!
    Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan recently posted…Memorial Day Weekend + My Thoughts on Alcohol

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    May 27, 2014 at 12:50 pm

You look gorgeous and it sounds like you had a great time with your group of friends!
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…With Gratitude

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    May 27, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Davs I see a fine fella front row 2nd from the right. 😉

I love jenga so I’m really intrigued by this life-size version. It also reminds me of this one christmas when I was in elementary school and my uncle accidentally got me “adult” jenga and my parents were like nooooo! and he had to take it back and get me normal jenga. I understood why I couldn’t keep the first one a few years later.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Fitness Bucket List

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    May 27, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Oh my gosh, your dinner table is so fancy! I would have thrown some food in the center and called it a day.

Looks like an amazing fun time! I love all the adirondack chairs on the dock!
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Happy Memorial Day!

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    May 28, 2014 at 11:49 am

Oh man, that looks like my kind of weekend – what a paradise! Friends, outdoors, water, food & drinks = THE BEST. Can I come next time??

Beyond The Food #4 - The Healthy Maven
    May 29, 2015 at 9:57 am

[…] under users) you experienced the craziness that was last weekend. We were up at Benny Mo’s cottage for C and B’s bday bonanza. For those of you who witnessed some late night lip-syncing and […]