Live

{Weekend Recap} Montreal Shenanigans

May 19, 2014

Well this picture just about sums up my weekend in Montreal: sunshine, hats, peanut butter m&ms and park chills.

IMG_4367We were there for a short 48 hours, but we managed to pack in quite a few activities. Trips to Montreal always involve some old favourites and new additions to our never-ending Montreal bucket list. It’s been exactly 3 years since I graduated from McGill so lots naturally lots of nostalgia was to be had. At the same time it was also reassuring that I’ve accomplished a couple of things since receiving my alumni status.

In addition to recapping the weekend, I figured I would throw in some of my Montreal favs for anyone who might be visiting in the future. No surprise most of them involve food 🙂

After a long train ride I arrived to a very rainy Montreal, which quite literally put a damper on our plans. Although I must admit I was more than happy once I had a glass of wine in hand from Bier Markt(who gets wine at a bier markt?!) and a wild night at the movies seeing Neighbors, which by the way was pee-your-pants hilarious!

The following morning we met up with friends at Lawrence, an absolutely delicious brunch spot. Some of my other favourite brunch spots: Chez Jose, Beauty’s and Bagels Etc.

brunchFollowing brunch we bopped around Montreal watching the Habs get crushed by the Rangers. It was so sad to watch so I drowned my sorrows in Bloody Marys. Other bars that I love: Else’s, Mme Lee, and Big in Japan Bar.

habs gameI was sooooooo hungry for dinner so I went a bit overboard with the tacos at Burritoville, an awesome vegetarian Mexican restaurant. Montreal has it’s fair share of indulgent restaurants but you can also find quite a few healthy and plant-based options. My favourites include: Aux Vivres, Cafe Santropol and Crudessence.

burritovilleYou can’t visit Montreal without visiting the campus of my alma mater, McGill. McGill is unique in that it is a huge university in the heart of a big city but still has the most glorious fields where students can lay out on the grass and chill between classes. That is when it isn’t snowing 8 months of the year…Don’t ask me my other favourite schools, because no others exist.

IMG_4296Did you know that Montreal is actually built on a mountain? In the summer months the park that lines Mont Royal is taken over by hippies and their drums, which is affectionately called “Tamtams”. Even if you aren’t crunchy granola, the rest of Montreal still comes out to play for tamtams. With the glorious weather, there was absolutely no chance I was missing out.

IMG_4364And no visit would be complete without the best sandwich in Montreal, the camembert on an arepa from Bocadillos. I probably just got myself in trouble for saying that since most people would say the Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich from Schwartz’s is pretty epic. It is definitely delicious as are the bagels from Fairmont Bagels. I don’t care what anyone says, nothing compares to Montreal bagels.

camembertAnd now here I am, watching The Avengers with C on the train. I often forget how important it is to set time aside where your attention is fully focused on the ones you love. I’m glad I was able to detach and make the most of our time in a city that will forever have my heart.

Despite all of the fun, I am looking forward to getting home and getting back on track. My body is craving some veggies!

What is your favourite city? Have you ever been to Montreal?

May 19, 2014 at 5:26 am

So…I kinda want to steal that cap. I can add it to my collection, yo!

No surprises for favourite city, but Montreal is something that has intrigued me, after watching a docu on the olympics there! That camembert arepa is like a Mexi-French affair. Epic.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…When your weekend is fuelled by sugar

Meghan @fitnesscrEATures
    May 19, 2014 at 5:55 am

DUDE you are way too cute in that first pic. And aren’t peanut butter M&M’s the ONLY kind?? Haha! They the best! The best part of traveling is eating #allthefood, but I totes agree – getting back in the routine is such a good feeling. 🙂 You and the man are precious.
    Meghan @fitnesscrEATures recently posted…#Miami and things

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    May 19, 2014 at 6:23 am

I can’t even talk about the Rangers game. It is just not ok and I can’t even fathom how the Canadians lost that first game at home…I haven’t been to Montreal which shocks me actually but I have been to Toronto a few times.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Back-to-Back Long Runs

erin @ The Almond Eater
    May 19, 2014 at 6:39 am

Yay for fun weekends away! And I’m glad you said Neighbors was funny because I want to see it but wasn’t sure what people were saying about it.
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Chocolate Peanut Butter Popcorn

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    May 19, 2014 at 6:45 am

That sounds like a perfect weekend! I’ve never been to Canada (booo, I know). I was supposed to go to Toronto for work last year and it fell through. Montreal sounds gorgeous, though and all your meals sound crazy good.
    Glad you liked the Neighbors movie, Riley and I are seeing it this week!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Weekend recap: prepping for summer

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    May 19, 2014 at 7:25 am

That sounds like such a fun weekend! I’ve never been to Montreal but I’d love to go visit!

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    May 19, 2014 at 7:34 am

Holy crap I miss Montreal. (I speak as if I’m a native, but I’m not. I just love it there.) We went for the jazz festival several years ago, and it was such a blast. Poutine, street performers, the Underground….*sigh*
    One of my best friends who lives in Canada is going to McGill, so I’m definitely going to have to visit her!!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…So Many Emotions

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    May 19, 2014 at 7:36 am

Aww, what a lovely weekend!! You look supercute with that hat and I LOVE your hair lady.

Berlin, New York, Zurich and San Diego. My favorite cities. I didn’t see Sydney yet but I will next March – maybe I will add it to my list – depends if Arman will spoil all the good memories.
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…MIMM – Girls and Goodbyes

May 19, 2014 at 8:34 am

I’ve never been to Montreal, but that park reminds me of a similar park in Berlin! That sandwich looks delicious, and you saying bocadillo reminds me of legit bocadillos (aka sandwiches, very original name for a restaurant lol) in Madrid. I used to get mine topped with manchego. Wow do I miss manchego. Anyway, glad you had a fabulous weekend!
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…Empty Nesting

May 19, 2014 at 8:34 am

Never been to Montreal before, but I definitely want to go! I’ve been told it has a really European feel to it, and seeing as I love Europe, I’d probably love Montreal. As far as favourite city goes… can I go with town instead? Because I’d probably pick Banff. I’m not a fan of big cities, and Banff is not only gorgeous, but holds a lot of memories for me as well. Plus, snowboarding… duh.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. playing favourites .

kaitlin @4loveofcarrots
    May 19, 2014 at 8:39 am

looks like such a great weekend! Jeff is going to Montreal for his bachelor party in a couple weeks. I would love to visit Montreal!
    kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted…Marvelous Monday!

Kim @ BusyBod
    May 19, 2014 at 8:52 am

Eat all the peanut butter m&ms!!! I think of you now every time I eat them now that I know of our shared obsession. That’s probably weird… sorry. I love Montreal, I don’t know my way around, but we went there a lot when I was young since it’s the closest major city to my hometown, so it will always have a special place in my heart. Plus I always feel like Old Montreal is like going to Europe just way cheaper.
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…6 Things you learn when you move & an update

May 19, 2014 at 8:58 am

Ughhh I want to go to Montreal. I’ve been once, but I think I was about nine so needless to say I didn’t appreciate it as much as I would now. And Eric would come with me, because he’s poutine-obsessed so I think he’d be happy there 😉
    And Neighbours is definitely on my list of movies to see…although we’re going to see Godzilla today which I’m really excited about!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…FLTW: Roommate Expectation vs. Reality.

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    May 19, 2014 at 9:14 am

I’ve never been to Montreal. I speak Spanish and tend to visit the Latino places more. I love LA, Paris, Madrid and Singapore.
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Gluten-Free Zucchini Blueberry Bread

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat
    May 19, 2014 at 9:57 am

What a fun weekend! I’ve never been to Montreal before, but I’m sure I would love it! I always enjoy seeing new cities, so hopefully one day I’ll get there!

I love the Avengers! Such a good movie!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…It’s a Liebster Kind of Day

Archana @ The Perfect Zest
    May 19, 2014 at 10:13 am

We love Montreal and we went a few years ago on our anniversary weekend. We have a thing about visiting universities and visited McGill – it has a special place in our life. My husband was McGill bound many years ago – and he was very excited. For personal reasons back then it didnt work out. He wanted to go see the university he would’ve attended and what it all looked and felt like.

I wished I had this food recommendation list when we went – we pretty much hit all the touristy spots instead.
    Archana @ The Perfect Zest recently posted…Mexican Black Bean Salad with Adobo Lime Dressing

cait @pieceofcait
    May 19, 2014 at 10:18 am

Love the pic of you sitting eating pb M&Ms.. girl after my own heart 🙂 Looks the the perfect 48 hour getaway!
    cait @pieceofcait recently posted…#Hashtag Sunday things

Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE
    May 19, 2014 at 10:18 am

PB m&m’s are my absolute FAV! I actually don’t eat m&m’s unless they’re PB or Peanut. Montreal sounds lovely, haven’t been. I haven’t been anywhere in Canada actually in quite sometime. Sad thing is, I live in MN and Canada is only 4 hours or so away! I’m thinking i’m going to have to make a trip real soon. The food sounds pretty darn good in Montreal…and that sandwich…my goodness!! 😀 Thanks for sharing about your trip, Davida!
    Kelly – LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE recently posted…Traditional Rhubarb Cake

Mary Frances
    May 19, 2014 at 10:42 am

Did anyone tell you how stinking cute you are? I wish my trip photos were as fun and pretty as yours! 🙂 Looks like you got some great eats in – I was in Montreal last summer, but didn’t find any of these places. *sigh* I know for next time!
    Mary Frances recently posted…Coconut Lemon Bars (GF, DF)

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    May 19, 2014 at 11:11 am

Looks like a super fun weekend!

I love going back to my university city – although it reminds me how old I am, I graduated 7 years ago!! Eeek!

Ps you look lovely in all your pics! You can tell you were enjoying yourself!
    Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted…Weekend Spills!

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    May 19, 2014 at 11:31 am

You totally look like a model, especially in that first picture. I’m glad you had a great weekend! I really want to go back and visit my alma mater. Athens is the city that will forever have a piece of my heart. I only spent a semester studying there but it changed my life forever. For US cities–it’s Boston. Have a great week, babe!
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…Raising the Barre: 8 Ways to Refine Your Focus In Pure Barre

Casey
    May 19, 2014 at 12:00 pm

This looks like so much fun! And I’m definitely drooling over the food! I’ve never been to Montreal, but it looks lovely! 🙂
    Casey recently posted…Celiac and Wisdom Teeth: Part 2

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    May 19, 2014 at 12:14 pm

So glad you had a fab weekend! It looks like fun and a lot warmer than I expected Montreal to be 😉
    Have you ever had pretzel m&ms? I literally gained five pounds sophomore year solely from eating those constantly. They’re addictive.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Out to Dinner [MIMM #28]

Parita @ myinnershakti
    May 19, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I’ve only been to Canada twice. And both times were to see Niagra Falls. While I would love for that to count as me visiting your wonderful country, I don’t think it does! I really want to see more. One of these we will be making a trip up north! I think my favorite US city is Chicago (at least in the summer time!).

Nora (A Clean Bake)
    May 19, 2014 at 12:57 pm

This is awesome!!!! THANK YOU so much for this list. I am heading to Montreal this weekend for the first time ever and have no clue where to eat. I’m going to print this out and bring it with me!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    May 19, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Ok, now I really want to go to Montreal! I’ll need to stay for a few days though so I can try all those restaurants. I’m horrible about over eating if I get to a hangry state.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…marvelous weekend getaway

May 19, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I’ve never been to Montreal (or anywhere in Canada) but hope to one day!! That place (especially your school) looks gorgeous!
    Glad you had a great weekend!
    Kim recently posted…The Truth about Blogging

May 19, 2014 at 1:28 pm

My favorite city? That’s such a tough one. Probably Hong Kong, mainly for sentimental reasons. You’re making me want to go back to Montreal! #jealous
    Cassie recently posted…Getting it Together on the Road: Toronto

Carmy
    May 19, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Montrel <3 A ton of my friends live there for school but the only time I've ever been was for a highschool field trip. I am planning a trip there soon! Once I'm done my summer session at UofT, I want to road trip over. Totally bookmarking this for things to check out when I'm there 🙂
    Carmy recently posted…How To Get Through A Mentally Tough Workout

Carmy
      November 6, 2016 at 1:34 pm

It only took 2 years for me to head over and just remembered this post! Sadly my trip was not as sunny as yours haha.
      Carmy recently posted…Activating Non Firing Glutes

Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan
    May 19, 2014 at 1:35 pm

What a fun weekend! I have never been to Montreal… actually, I’ve never been to Canada but I have always wanted to go! I have a friend who went to McGill and has just as much alma mater pride as you do. What a beautiful campus! Oh, and those brunch eats look beyond scrumptious. And all the pics of you are too adorable. Loving the tacos in a backwards baseball cap… girl after my own heart!!!
    Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan recently posted…A few cool things + Greens Plus Giveaway!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health
    May 19, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Looks like a fun weekend! I’ve never been to Montreal but I will definitely be stopping by the vegetarian Mexican restaurant if I ever make it there. Yum!
    Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted…Our Wedding: The Reception

Shashi
    May 19, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I have not been to Montreal – my mom and sis went and loved it! Way to tempt me with your food pics – my favorite city is always based on the food choices – so far that would be San Diego for all the little Mexican huts with incredible burritos and fajitas and the like!
    Shashi recently posted…Not-Your-Average Chocolate Chip Muffins!

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    May 19, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Never been to Montreal but you make it sound soooo fun! You think Montreal bagels are better than NYC bagels? That’s a big call. I trust your foodie opinion though!
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Spring in New York

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health
    May 19, 2014 at 5:01 pm

what a fun weekend for you two 🙂
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…Recent Happenings

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    May 19, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I’ve never been to Montreal but that is a place that I would love to visit! I heard it is so beautiful there and that the people are friendly. My favorite city at the moment is San Francisco since it reminds of Seattle, which is where I’m from!
    Polly @ Tasty Food Project recently posted…Coconut Shrimp Curry and Quinoa Sweet Potato Boats

Amanda
    May 19, 2014 at 5:28 pm

How the hell do you look so cute even in a hat?!
    Amanda recently posted…Here’s To New Beginnings!

Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair
    May 19, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Looks like a fun weekend! It makes me want to plan a Montreal trip this summer. And I agree with you. Montreal bagels are definitely the best.
    Lindsay @ Shiny Love Affair recently posted…Half Marathon Playlist

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    May 19, 2014 at 8:42 pm

AUX VIVRES GET AT ME.

Mmmmm dragon sauce… 😛
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Healthy Vegan Fridays [18]

May 19, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I haven’t bee to Montreal since the end of 12th grade. I’ve been wanting to go back sometime soon, and this post just made me want to go even more so that I can check out all these places!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…My favourite local products in the GTA

Julie
    May 20, 2014 at 2:26 am

I’ve always wanted to go to Montreal!
    Julie recently posted…MIMM: Hollywood & Home

Jo @ LIVING MINT GREEN
    May 20, 2014 at 11:46 am

I like your hat, homie. I think hats on girls are so HAWT. I’ve been in Montreal briefly – it was a quick overnight trip before catching a bus to Mont Tremblant but I didn’t have time to do anything fun. 🙁
    I’ve been thinking about what my post-race meal is going to be this weekend and I’m fairly certain it needs to be a Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich.

Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa
    May 20, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Looks like a lovely weekend ! 🙂 I live in Montreal! Fairmount bagels is definitely a classic! Love Aux Vivres as well 🙂
    Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa recently posted…Vanilla Green Tea Matcha Muffins!

Sarah Pie
    May 20, 2014 at 8:29 pm

mmmm that arepa looks fabulous! So glad you had a wonderful weekend and a chance to take it easy.
    Sarah Pie recently posted…WIR #48: The “me time” edition

Brittany
    May 20, 2014 at 11:47 pm

You look like a BAMF in these photos, I dig it. What a blast, I’ve never been to Montreal…..but I wanna go EVERY WHERE so that would be a pit stop. HA.
    Brittany recently posted…DIY: Mason Jar Photo Flower Vase

Amy @ Elephant Eats
    May 21, 2014 at 11:55 am

What a fun trip!!! And also, i’m jealous of your tasty eats…i think I need to go get lunch now.
    Amy @ Elephant Eats recently posted…Life post-move…

May 26, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I love that opening picture of you, eating M&M’s, chilling in the ball cap. I’m also thrilled you had a great weekend in the city you love. Speaking of, The Avengers was filmed in Cleveland and I can’t watch that movie without seeing my city everywhere. It makes me smile.

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    May 28, 2014 at 12:31 am

You never fail to make me laugh. Your posts are always so informative yet quirky. But seriously, you went to Montreal without Poutine? Or even a beaver tail? 🙂
    Molly @ The Happiness Recipe recently posted…MIMM #13: Fall Reading Week

Corey
    August 11, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I see you share interesting stuff here, you can earn some additional money, your blog has
    huge potential, for the monetizing method, just search in google – K2 advices how to monetize a
    website