Live

{Weekend Recap} Staycation Edition

May 12, 2014

I mentioned the other day how much I love my job and that I am shocked that I can actually call myself a workoholic. I can get so wrapped up in my work that I forget to take a step back and enjoy the fruits of my labour. After a long winter I kind of got used to hibernating, but now that the sun is out to play I can’t make up excuses anymore.

Some of you may remember way back when (aka like 4 months ago) when I used to do Monday Weekend Recaps. I rarely go back and read my posts, but I absolutely love reading my weekend recaps. They’re a great keepsake for me and on some level keep me accountable to actually go out and do things. On that note, I am reinstating them for the summer! I’m going to attempt to live in the moment, but I don’t find it that arduous to carry around my camera so I can remember those moments years from now. Plus this past weekend and the coming months are filled with fabulous friends, places and adventures and I am looking forward to capturing them!

I couldn’t have asked for a better weekend to kick off Weekend Recaps 2.0! Cassie and Ang were in town visiting so I got to be a tourist in my own city. Seeing Toronto from a visitor’s perspective always reminds me how much I love this place. Not to mention the absolutely perfect weather. Prepare yourselves for a photo-dump!

We kicked off a fabulous weekend with dinner and a party at my apartment before hitting the town.

Still lookin’ classy at 3:00 AM

Despite some hangovers, we rallied ourselves to the St. Lawrence Market to check out the Toronto foodie scene and spend our life saving’s on mustard.

St. Lawrence MarketFollowed by obligatory lobster tail caesars on the patio at Rock Lobster.

Rock Lobster

Sam came to join us!

We could not have asked for better weather so we made the most of it by walking around Trinity Bellwoods Park.

IMG_3792And of course, some shopping 🙂

IMG_3816And then we finished off the day with some healthy eats from Fresh and a movie.

ShoppingAfter a full-night’s rest we fuelled up with some Green Banana Pancakes before hitting up Y Yoga for a much needed yoga class. The facilities were absolutely stunning (freshly brewed tea, complimentary lockers and towels, and a beautiful changing room) and we all agreed that the power class we took was great.

IMG_3849 IMG_3877And then my gorgeous friends left me to head home to Pittsburgh 🙁 It was such a wonderful weekend, although my pasty skin is begging for some sunshine and I think my liver needs a detox.

Looking forward to a fabulous summer filled with memories to last a lifetime! #imsocheesy

Any big summer plans? Have you ever played tourist in your own city?

May 12, 2014 at 5:32 am

I think you forgot the highlight of the entire trip…those 10 beautiful minutes on Saturday……where I learnt more about you and Cassie in such a short time span. I played tourist the other week but it didn’t compare….

I know your big summer plans. E! Tv have their cameras prepped and primed already.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…12 Marvellous memories through the years

Shashi @ RunninSrilankan
    May 12, 2014 at 5:37 am

“Playing tourist in my own city” is one of my favorite things!! Atlanta is a smorgasbord of fun activities for just about every taste and budget – so when are you visiting? 😉

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    May 12, 2014 at 6:34 am

That looks like a perfect girl’s weekend! I love playing tourist in my town, which is usually crawling with tourists anyway. Williamsburg has so much history, so I love showing people around. I don’t have any big summer plans yet, but I’m hoping to have lots of them!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Playa Del Carmen, Mexico: Part One

Kim @ BusyBod
    May 12, 2014 at 6:52 am

What a fun weekend!! I’m not sure it’s fair to call NYC “my” city since I don’t really live in it and I’ve only been here a few years, but I’m playing tourist here this week because my parents are arriving in just a few hours! When I’m home in Vermont where I grew up, I love having friends visit and being the tour guide. It’s like you said, I love it there so much, it’s so beautiful, and I’m so proud to be from there, I love any chance I get to show it off.
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Meals & workouts for graduation & moving week!

May 12, 2014 at 7:07 am

What a fun weekend! I love having guests visit and taking them to my favourite places in Burlington. Burlington isn’t as cool as Toronto though. 😛
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Mustard Seed

Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers
    May 12, 2014 at 8:08 am

What fun! It’s so sweet that your friends came to visit. It looks like you showed them a good time!
    Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted…Marvelous in My Mother’s Day

May 12, 2014 at 8:42 am

I’m so glad I was able to come up for the afternoon, and that you guys had a fabulous weekend – I think that we should convince Cassie and Ang to come up more often 😉
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…A Marvelous and Busy Weekend.

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat
    May 12, 2014 at 8:42 am

This sounds like such a fun weekend! It’s so great that you got to meet up with your blends too! I went to yoga yesterday for the first time in a long time and boy did I love it! I forgot how much I missed it!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…32 Things That Make ME Happy

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    May 12, 2014 at 8:51 am

I love that we both had blend meet ups in our own city! It was so nice to have Laura around the last few days!
    And I join you on the detox. I think I had more alcohol the last few days than normally in 6 months (1 year would be a shameless exaggeration. I drink way more in 1 year.) !!
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…MIMM – 1st Recap #LauraandLucie

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    May 12, 2014 at 9:45 am

Sounds like you had such an amazingly fun girls weekend! I love Toronto. I have not been there in a few years. I was there a few yrs ago for work and spent several months there. I wish I had more time to be a tourist while I was there. Unfortunately that’s how work trips are sometimes all work!
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Healthy Food Substitutions – Jicama Fries

May 12, 2014 at 10:04 am

You’re the cutestttt miss you already. This line: spend our life saving’s on mustard.

Anyway, can’t wait for the next trip #Cuba2014, Beyonce style. Oh, and for us to show you around Pitt!

xoxo
    Cassie recently posted…Race Recap: Pittsburgh Half-Marathon

Jess @dearhealthyness
    May 12, 2014 at 10:46 am

It looks like a fun girls weekend!!!! ohh and being tourist at your own city? FUN FUN FUN 😛
    Jess @dearhealthyness recently posted…Miami Life

Jaclyn @ BumpSweat
    May 12, 2014 at 11:06 am

I’ll be visiting Canada for the first time in my life this June. We’re road-tripping to Niagara Falls, staying in that area for a few days, then hiking in the Adirondacks before spending a weekend in Rochester for a friends wedding. Any must-stop places near Niagara we should hit up?
    Jaclyn @ BumpSweat recently posted…Motivation & Inspiration Monday: Make Home-Brewed Kombucha

Mary Frances
    May 12, 2014 at 11:13 am

Your yellow skirt is so cute! What gorgeous photos from the market, too! I’m glad you had such a great weekend … um, if only it was just my liver that needed a detox from the food I’ve been celebrating graduation and Mother’s Day with! Girl, I’m MIA for only a couple days and I miss all your best posts. #figures
    Mary Frances recently posted…Funfetti Mug Cake with Raspberry Ice Cream Topping

May 12, 2014 at 11:15 am

I just finished reading Sam’s recap, and I’m not sure I can handle any more — SO jealous! I spent the weekend up in the mountains with my mom, who was pretty good company, buuuuuuuut not as amazing as spending time with awesome blends would be. Promise to show me around when I eventually come visit? 😀
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 5/11 .

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    May 12, 2014 at 11:21 am

Sounds like a great weekend! I’m glad you got to see your friends! I’m really looking forward to being in Boulder for the summer. The hiking here is amazing and I’m just excited to be outside…you know, when the snow stops. Yes, it snowed yesterday and today. Sometimes I hate Colorado. It’s May!!
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…Not So Much a Party

Molly @ The Happiness Recipe
    May 12, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I absolutely adore your skirt. You all just look so radiant in the sun and gorgeous as usual. I couldn’t get over it and skimmed over the photos so many times. I’m so happy to see you so happy and I am glad the weather was just perfect for their visit / your blog meet up. Sounds like a lovely weekend all-round. I’ve never heard of that yoga studio before but if I am in the city I may have to try it! I hope they bought those Canadian souvenirs – but if not all the more reason for them to visit again!

Laura@ Fit Running Mama
    May 12, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I love playing tourist in our city! Yeah Chicago! It’s the best in the summer and dare I say totally worth living here even after the horrid winter we had!
    Laura@ Fit Running Mama recently posted…A Marvelous Weekend, Run and LOTS of Photos!

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    May 12, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I love seeing what you were up to. My husband and I visited Toronto about 3 years ago so some of the sites look very familar. We had a blast and would definitely return. 🙂
    Our annual vacation is looking like it will be in November but I’m sure it will be worth the wait. 😉
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Sesame Crusted Tofu With Peppers And Onions In A Spicy Peanut Sauce

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health
    May 12, 2014 at 12:54 pm

I am so jealous of your blogger meet ups! When are you coming to San Fran?!

It looks like you girls had a fabulous time! Green pancakes + yoga= perfection.
    Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted…Spring Potato Salad with Vinegar and Dill

FitBritt@MyOwnBalance
    May 12, 2014 at 3:34 pm

What a fun weekend! I am actually trying to play tourist a bit more in my city. I’m trying to get out more and capture some images on my camera for practice. Plus, I feel like there are soooo many NYC things I haven’t done!
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…A Healthy U Conference

Polly @ Tasty Food Project
    May 12, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I’ve only been to Toronto once and unfortunately I didn’t get to do much since I was there for a wedding. Looking at your pictures makes me want to go back and explore!

I love playing tourist in my own city! Sometimes I feel like my days are so routine, so I enjoy going out and exploring all the wonderful things that my city has to offer!

Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit
    May 12, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I LOVE to go back and look at my weekend recaps. Sometimes it makes me sad how fast the time passes, but I’m so grateful I’ll always have those memories to re-connect with!
    Lauren @ Focused To Be Fit recently posted…Weekend.

Becky @ Olives n Wine
    May 12, 2014 at 6:42 pm

So much fun! I really enjoy weekend recaps as well so I’m glad you’re back to posting them 🙂 I love blogger meet-ups – it looks like you showed the girls a great time and I’m impressed with your ability to stay up until 3am 😉
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Healthy Berry “Syrup”

Amanda
    May 12, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I’m going to be doing lots more exploring this summer, that’s for sure!
    Amanda recently posted…Sleep Means More To Me Than Titles Do

Paige@FitNotFad
    May 12, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Looks like a blast and beaaaautiful weather!
    Paige@FitNotFad recently posted…A Marvelous D.C. Trip Recap

May 12, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I have been trying to read this post for the past eight hours but things were too crazy at work! Looks like you girls had an awesome time! I didn’t know Pittsburgh was anywhere near Toronto! Jealous of the trip.
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…My Dream Wedding

Nicole @ FruitnFitness
    May 12, 2014 at 8:05 pm

It looks like you had a fabulous weekend! I mean whats more fun than getting to explore with friends! Sometimes I think you get a whole new perspective of your city when your showing new people around. I always find fun new places that I didn’t even know existed.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…Graduation weekend

Parita @ myinnershakti
    May 12, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Your post is making me miss my girlfriends! 🙂

And I have a lot of little trips planned this summer – should be fun! And my best friend’s wedding is in July…that will def. be the highlight!
    Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted…Eating and Sightseeing in NYC

cait @pieceofcait
    May 12, 2014 at 9:23 pm

its so fun to play tourist in your own city! i love spending all my money on the market 🙂 this summers big plans are greece & becoming an aunt in july! 🙂
    cait @pieceofcait recently posted…Park & Mama’s

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    May 12, 2014 at 10:47 pm

So fun! I really dig those Canada and Toronto signs. I kinda want one for my dorm even though I’ve never lived in Canada…my dual citizenship counts for something though, right?
    My biggest summer plans right now are Prom (because it’s seriously the latest prom EVER) and going to Florida with my cousins! I will STILL be pasty white by the time we get to Florida. This girl doesn’t tan very easily.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Secrets of the Weekend

Brittany
    May 12, 2014 at 11:43 pm

AHH you bitches all look SO cute. I LOVE your style, totally my speed with the dress and chucks. LOVEEE. I play tourist in Seattle A LOT and I just love it.

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    May 13, 2014 at 9:18 am

I had such a great weekend with you! Please come visit us here. It’ll be tons of fun. xo

Suzanne @ hello, veggy!
    May 13, 2014 at 2:13 pm

This makes me miss Toronto and your pretty face MAJORLY!
    Suzanne @ hello, veggy! recently posted…Strawberry “Milk”shake Green Smoothie [Revisited]

May 13, 2014 at 4:54 pm

What a picture perfect weekend. Literally. Get it? Because the photo dump. Oh brother, they can’t all be winners. 😉

Spring Superfood Salad | Almost Getting It TogetherAlmost Getting It Together
    August 5, 2014 at 5:39 pm

[…] This salad could also be called the “use up stuff in your fridge” salad. It’s full of “superfoods” and nutrients: strawberries, seeds, quinoa, greens and avocado. I didn’t expect this salad to be as epically amazing and delicious as it was – definitely make it. Top with a balsamic dressing. I make mine by sight so I don’t measure anything, but I used balsamic, olive oil, lemon juice and fancy balsamic fig mustard that I bought in Toronto. […]